10/11/11

Caramel Apples with Sprinkles

I grew up in California and every Fall we would drive to Apple Hill to spend the day.  We enjoyed the petting zoo, apple cider, exploring the arts and crafts.  Every year, we would bring home a box of apples and my mom would get to work making delicious homemade applesauce.  But, before the canning began, my mom would make caramel apples and the taste of these took me back to that beautiful California countryside with hills lined in trees, men in overalls, apple bread, cider and butter, and boxes and boxes of varieties of crisp, delicious apples!
Granny Smith is my choice apple when adding caramel~ tart and sweet combined!
 Joann’s and Michael’s both have these lollipop sticks in the baking area or you may have some in your pantry!?!
My Sweet B’s took their job seriously!
Add 1 Tablespoon of water to the bowl of caramel and then microwave for 2 minutes, stir and then 1 additional minute.  If it starts to harden during the dipping process just heat it for another 30 seconds and then get back to dipping.
My Photographer is all about the chopped peanuts on his caramel apple, I’m more of a purist myself.
Dunk, Dip, and Roll
Sprinkle with pumpkin sprinkles and then set on a cake stand lined with wax paper that has been sprayed with Pam cooking spray~ fighting the paper is a bummer when your sweetie is repeating “I want my caramel apple, I want my caramel apple, I want my caramel apple…” over and over again!  Or is it just mine that repeat themselves over and over and over again!?!?  Cute little quirks that I’ll look back on with just as fond of memories as my summer visits to Apple Hill.
Super cute with candy corns!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Ty and Whitty says:

so yummy. Thank you so much for sharing and for linking up to last weeks show and share. We hope to see you and your newest project on Wednesday.

A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

2. Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com says:

Yum! These look delicious. I think my favorite is just the plain caramel ones but I did have an M&M covered caramel apple for Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory recently and it was so good!

3. RhettDidntGiveADamn says:

These look so good! So glad I found you on Between Naps on the Porch – I HAD to share this on my blog – http://rhettdidntgiveadamn.blogspot.com/2011/10/ode-to-food-caramel-apples.html Hope you don’t mind! xo

4. D.E. says:

Love carmel apples! Lovely photos.
    Blessings, DE

5. cheapcraftymama says:

What a great idea! They look so yummy and I love how you got the kids involved!

6. Renee says:

These apples look great. Such a fun project to do with kids. Found you at Chef in Training link party!

7. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says:

So pretty and so good! I love caramel apples. Your photos are gorgeous. We just went to Apple Hill last weekend but couldn’t pick apples – most on the trees were rotten. I’d love for you to come join my linky party, Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

8. natalie pozniak | blog says:

Yum! I need to try and make my own carmel apples. Thanks for sharing.

9. Carrie says:

those apples look soo yummy….!
    your newest follower,
    carrie @ projectpossessed.com

10. Kassandra @ Coffee and their Kisses says:

This looks yummy!! I do hope you’ll come by and link up at my party, Stitch n’ Niche Saturdays. Here’s the link in case you want to join in. http://www.coffeeandtheirkisses.com/2011/10/stitch-n-niche-saturdays-4.html

11. www.flairforhome.blogspot.com says:

Hi Aimee! I love your blog! Awesome pictures and great ideas!!!! I blog at http://www.flairforhome.blogspot.com. Nice to know you in “blog world”. Kindest Regards, Beth

12. Veronica says:

Looks yum and fun!! Must give these a try so cute!

Veronica
    Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

13. Katie's Nesting Spot says:

Thanks for linking up to A Crafty Soiree, I’ve featured this in tomorrow’s new party. Just wondering, did the caramel stay on the apples? I made some last year but over time the caramel kinda slid down the apples and ended up on the wax paper I had them sitting on. I think maybe I was supposed to add something to the mix like a bit of water or something. Oh well, we only had a couple left over…most got eaten right away and were enjoyed in all their Halloween glory!

14. Erika says:

Who knew it could be so easy! They look so good I am craving one now:)

Hope you can stop by the It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising and share.

Erika

15. Aimee says:

Kathi, You’re a super fun 2nd grade teacher!!! I bet you will have lots of carmel unwrapper volunteers!!! Thanks for stopping by…visit again soon, kay!!!

Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

16. South Bay Studio says:

First of all, very cute action picture of your family above. I’m making caramel apples tomorrow with my second grade class, the worst part is unwrapping those candies, but I’ll get lots of help.
    Kathi

17. Aimee says:

Stephanie…Caramel Apple Salad, now that sounds GREAT! I wonder if I could google that or is it on your site…coming over to check! 🙂 Glad you stopped by!

Jamie…Thanks so much! Your new outfits are SUPER CUTE!

Vicky…Seriously!?!? I wish I was near and could join you!!! Glad you stopped by and I’ll have to check your blog for pics from Apple Hill so I can live through your experience!!!

Pamela…Apple Acres…hmm…I want to make it out to Indiana one of these that will have to be on my must see list!

Shenita…Thanks for the SUPER SWEET comments! They were definitely good! Still a few caramels left that I’m snacking on!

Tawny…So funny how traditions vary from area to area! Glad you stopped by and go get yourself some caramel!!!

Thrifting Denver…Yes, its all about simplicity here!

Mamie…That would be too fun, the more the merrier!

Marrilyn…TY for stopping by and the invite to link to your party! The creativity amongst friends is definitely overflowing!!! Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Courtney…I’m so glad you invited me to your blog party, I enjoyed stopping by!

J’s Mom…Glad you came to visit, I hope to have you over often!

18. J's mom says:

I would love it if you would link this to my link party, and any others you may have. Thanks, It just started 🙂

19. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says:

Ohhhh caramel apples are a huge Favorite of mine!! LOVE them!! what a great post!! Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday sometime! 🙂

20. Mamie says:

Love it! My kids would love to come to your house and help you make these.

21. Thrifting Denver says:

I forgot about the wrapped caramels! I can’t wait to make these for my own birthday party….apples=healthy right? Yummm!!

22. Tawny says:

Yum! Those look awesome! I only think about caramel apples during fair time in the summer, but now I think I wanna make them for Halloween too! there is bobbing for apples on Halloween, and lots of candy. So why not combine the two? Yummy.

23. Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR says:

Hi Aimee! Nice to “meet” you!! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving your sweet comments! Love your blog, as well!! These caramel apples look just wonderful! I can almost taste them thru the computer! LOL!! I’m looking forward to getting to know you. Thanks for following me; and I am your newest follower! Be blessed!!

24. Pamela says:

We lived in southern Indiana so our Apple Hill was Apple Acres. Their cider is tops and the caramel apples a must. You have me wanting one. Guess I’ll have to get out the caramels!

25. Vicky says:

We were just talking about taking the kids to apple hill! 🙂 Those look so yummy and I love how the kids can help. I am following you back from Mess for Less. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Vicky from http://www.messforless.net

26. Jamie says:

looks so yummy! And gorgeous photos by the way!

27. ladywiththeredrocker says:

Oh, I forgot to say, I’m your newest follower! 🙂
    Stephanie @ Ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com

28. ladywiththeredrocker says:

Oh yum! Caramel apples are one of my faves, but I’ve never actually tried to make my own. I do make Caramel Apple Salad though. Your caramel apples look so fun and festive, will have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing. Also, thanks for the kind words on my blog. 🙂
    Stpehanie @ Ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com