10/18/11

Chandelier Makeover

I should title this post Spray Paint is a girl’s bestest friend!

When my Photographer was at work one day, I climbed onto the dining room table and spent a good hour attempting to rub the spectacular brass off of my chandelier with rub and buff- silver leaf.  About half way through, I realized it just wasn’t going to work.  If you look closely in the picture below you can see the decorative glass that is wrapped around the thin brass wire casing that I could not rub and buff.  Taking this beauty apart and chancing it not going back together wasn’t an option.

There are so many things about a 1950s rancher home that leaves me totally puzzled, especially when you’re moving out of a 2005 creature comfort house.  Like the over usage of pink and peach tiles in kitchens and bathrooms, walls and wallpaper everywhere, smallish closets in bedrooms, and itty bitty spaces for refrigerators.  But one thing I totally love was that generations over usage of chandeliers, layered with beautiful prisms!

I had to change my plan, and quickly because the two-toned chandelier was even more hideous then it’s brass beginning. I had my Photographer who is also my Electrician, take down the chandelier and one by one I removed the prisms and let them soak in the sink with soapy water, which turned black in like 2.4 seconds.  Disgusting.  I ended up being glad the first plan didn’t work because those prisms shined like you can’t even believe once 50ish layers of dust was removed.

I spread out a piece of tarp and opened up my ladder.  There I hung my two-toned chandelier and used a can of spray paint primer and a can of high gloss white spray paint.  The more the paint covered the metal, the more I smiled.

One of the reason I like spray paint so much is it dries incredibly fast!!!  My photographer was able to put it back up that night (yes, we stay up entirely too late) and in the morning I restrung those beautiful prisms!  My decorating style is a conflicting blend of traditional and modern.  This chandelier fits perfectly!

More Rancher Updates

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Gaela Fisher says:

I love this and plan to paint my brass chandelier too! Here’s my question…the connectors on all my prisms and chains of glass beads are brass. Any great hints on how to change that or should I just leave them as is?

• I would just leave them as is! I don’t think you’ll notice them once the chandelier is painted!!!

2. Michelle says:

Hello, I love your chandelier makeover. I recently found one for $5 so I had to have it. Mine is mainly plastic crystals with glass pieces. It’s brass of course including all the connecting wires for the crystals. I need help. Do I take it all apart and replace the wire connections (not fun) or is there a way to make them silver without ruining the plastic? Thanks for your inspiration!!

3. HI AIMEE,
    I STUMBLED ONTO YOUR SITE BY CHANCE. I HAVE A PERSON THAT STARTED FOLLOWING ME ON PINTEREST,I ALWAYS LOOK AT THE BOARDS OF PEOPLE THAT FOLLOW ME,TO SEE IF IM INTERESTED IN FOLLOWING THEM AND OR PINING THEIR PINS. ONE OF THE BOARDS WAS ABOUT YOU AND YOUR DIY CHANDELIER,I AM FOLLOWING THAT BOARD AND WHEN I WAS LIKING EACH PIN I CLICKED YOUR ADDRESS ON YOUR SITE AN HERE I AM. IM GLAD I MADE THE MISTAKE,IM INTERESTED AND ALSO DO SOME OF THE SAME THINGS…… I also spray painted my chandelier an it came out pretty nice,better than the original… LOL… 🙂 YOUR WHITE CHANDELIER IS LOVELY AND THE CRYSTALS ARE VERY NOTICEABLY SHINIER AND BLINGING….. ASIDE FROM OUR INTERESTS IN BEAUTIFUL THINGS,HOME DECOR.FURNISHINGS AND DECORATING(AS WELL AS REFURBISHING/CREATING BEAUTIFUL THINGS) I HAVE ONE SON,A BICSHON FRIESE ( sorry for my spelling),HE’S WHITE AND OUR BEAUTIFUL BABY AND IM A BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN……IM GOING TO PEEK SOME MORE,IM SURE I’LL CONTINUE ENJOYING YOUR THINGS AND WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!! SINCERELY, ‘CHERIE CULLUM

• Thank you so much Cherie for making my day!!! I’m so glad you stopped by and YES — the crystals have so much more shine!!! You are so right!!! Thanks so much for stopping by — we definitely have lots in common, especially the most important thing — following Jesus! Enjoy your sweet baby — Bichon Frise is a beautiful breed!!! XO, Aimee

4. jenny says:

I love it! It looks so fresh and feminine!

5. Betty819 says:

What a super idea and look how beautiful it turned out! Thanks for sharing this with us. How can you tell when you are buying a used chandeleir that it will work when you get it home? Is there some rules to follow when buying a used chandeleir?

6. WOW!!! This is fantastic!!!! new follower- http://www.atozebracelebrations.com
    Nancy

7. Wow! Just wow! What an amazing transformation. I’m just itching to go thrifting and find myself an old chandy to make over. Nice job, Aimee!

8. Amy Marshall says:

Aimee,

It is gorgeous! I’m totally jealous!

Have a great weekend,

Amy

9. Theresa@junk2jewels-diy.blogspot.com says:

I have been conflicted as to what color to paint a chandelier I bought this summer!! I think the pop of color people do is wonderful, but seeing yours all white and shiny is Gorgeous!! I think I found my inspiration! Thanks for sharing and glad to have found your blog!!

10. Hey! It looks great! Was it tough to remove the prisms? I’m looking at a chandelier like this on eBay that I want to paint, but masking off a hundred prisms sounds like way more work than I want to do!

• The prisms were very easy to remove on this chandelier. I have another I did and it was way more labor intensive. The good thing is once it’s done it’ll be care-free to maintain. Most painted surfaces have to be touched up regularly! Take pics if you go the painting route…I’d LOVE to see the before/after pics!!! XO, Aimee

11. Our Pinteresting Family says:

Such a beautiful transformation! Megan

12. oops! says:

I have painted so so many things, but never a chandelier. I am chicken – but swoon over them and especially this one! Love Love Love!

13. Christine says:

oh my gosh, that looks amazing!!! love love love it! who would have thought a little spray paint could have made such a HUGE difference?!

14. knitsforhire says:

I love your blog!!!

15. Scribbler says:

What an incredible transformation!!! I have an oldie out in the garage, just waiting to get struck by inspiration, and doggone if you didn’t jut give it to me! I am going to go find some crystal drops (it doesn’t have any), and then I am going to blast it with the paint. If it looks as good as yours, I will share.

16. Kansas Amy says:

Great job, it turned out just beautiful! I love chandeliers!

17. Lolly Jane says:

super cute. featuring on our weekend party, thanks for linkin up (:

xoxo,
    kelli + kristi

18. Urban Stylist In the Country... says:

Love your white re-do! I picked up a similar chandelier at a garage sale for $5,I am thinking to do it in black and hang it in my studio I have chandeliers new and vintage in almost every room of my home!
    🙂
    Gaylene

19. Heather B {dreaming big} says:

This looks incredible! Great job. I’m a new follower from Follow Fest!

20. Maureen says:

Oh my goodness! I LOVE THIS. It is amazing what a little spray paint can do!
    I’d love for you to link up to my very first Fresh Friday Link Party!
    -Maureen

21. Karen says:

From one chandelier ‘painter’ to another – you did a fabulous job and now you can enjoy your lovely new chandelier!

22. Anne says:

I love it! I’m dying for a white chandelier for my bedroom, but I haven’t found the perfect one to makeover.

23. Debra @ Common Ground says:

Hi Aimee, what a fab job on this. It’s gorgeous!! thanks for linking up the inspiration to VIF. I’m featuring this on next VIF! xo

24. Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com says:

Great makeover! I love spray paint!! Thanks for sharing this at What’s In The Gunny Sack!

25. Summer says:

Thanks for linking up! I’ll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

Sumo:)

26. Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch says:

What an amazing transformation. I love what you did with your chandy, and I am taking notes, since I am working on a chandy for my back porch and trying to decide if I will paint it. I am a new follower, and would LOVE a follow back. One more, and I will be at 500. I am going back to see more of your kitchen redo.

27. Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door says:

Beautiful! Love the new look!

28. Brooke @ Inside-Out Design says:

I love it!! I am such a believer in the power of spray paint- it can fix almost anything. I can so relate to the challenge of moving from a new construction home to an old one. We’ve always lived in brand new homes, then this summer moved up north so my hubby could start law school and are renting a little house from the 30’s. I’m always wandering around dreaming about what I’d do if this place was mine. {Gut it. haha} I LOVE your kitchen transformation!! I’m a new follower; can’t wait to read more!

29. Rosemary@villabarnes says:

Looks awesome.

30. Cindy says:

Very pretty! I have been looking for a 1950-ish chandelier for my bedroom.
    Cindy

31. Honey at 2805 says:

You chanty is so pretty with it’s new paint job! Looks wonderful!

Thank you for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday. I always appreciate your participation!

32. Honey at 2805 says:

You chanty is so pretty with it’s new paint job! Looks wonderful!

33. Honey at 2805 says:

You chanty is so pretty with it’s new paint job! Looks wonderful!

34. Honey at 2805 says:

You chanty is so pretty with it’s new paint job! Looks wonderful!

35. Condo Blues says:

I swear you can decorate the world beautifully with a can of spray paint and a little elbow grease. Nice job!

36. Lisa's Creative Designs says:

Beautiful makeover! I have a chandelier in my garage waiting for me to give it a makeover. I’ve already bought the spray paint!

37. Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust says:

I’m a sucker for a pretty chandy. Great job! And I loved reading about your adventures with your house too.

Warmly, Michelle

38. Decorating with Cents says:

Beautiful! Im your newest follower … I found you on DIY. http://decoratingwcents.blogspot.com

39. deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie says:

What a difference! Found you on the DIY Showoff & am following you now. Stop by and visit sometime!

40. Ruth says:

An amazing transformation!! It is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Ruth

41. Coley says:

gorgeous gorgeous! What a difference paint can make!

42. Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic says:

Love this! I just did a redo on a chandelier, too. I really love yours and the white just really makes these.

~Shanon

43. diytheory says:

What an improvement!!! Looks great!

44. Miss Charming says:

Beautiful chandelier! You did a wonderful job. I bet it looks amazing in your room. (The magic of white spray paint.)

45. Deborah March says:

Absolutely positively jaw droppingly SPECTACULAR…swooon…

Deborah (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com…hope you’ll drop by sometime…)

46. Shabby chic Sandy says:

This is so beautiful! Painting it white was the right choice–there is nothing more beautiful than a sparkling clean white chandelier. Thanks for sharing!

47. Aimee says:

Thanks for all the incredibly sweet comments!!! Seriously love each of you!!! I hope you visit again soon!!!

Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

48. Jenni says:

OH! I love LOVE love your chandelier! It is so beautiful, and I think you did such a lovely job on it! 🙂

I also must say how much I love your blog! And I know just what you mean about 1950’s ranchers, because we have a 1960’s one, and they are very similar. {We have that same itty bitty space for a refrigerator, too!} Although, those from the 1950’s are nicer, and I am not just saying that. 🙂 Does your have hardwoods? I so wish ours did…

I am following your blog and adding you to my sidebar right now! 🙂

I hope you have a fun weekend!

Blessings,
    Jenni
    {Beautiful Nest}

49. Sarah @ This Crazy Blessed Life says:

Fabulous makeover!

{Crazy Blessed Love} Feature Friday!

Come grab a button 🙂

50. Donna says:

Your chandelier is amazing! Sounds like it’s a good thing plan a didn’t work. Love it white, and the crystals are gorgeous! I am addicted to spray paint, too:)

51. At The Picket Fence says:

That is just seriously beautiful!! I absolutely love it in white and I’m only a little jealous that such a pretty light came with your house. 😉 I have been having so much fun going through some of your other posts and your kitchen transformation is A-MA-ZING!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week…we hope we see lots more of you in the future! 🙂
    Vanessa

52. Becca says:

Wow, the wonders of spray paint! I’m truly impressed … it looks fabulous!

53. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says:

Soo sooo pretty!! I love your dreamy white chandelier!! Thanks for linking it up at FNF 🙂

54. Tiki says:

That is simply gorgeous, I must say I love the white chandeliers much better than the brass or wood. I am still working on my chandy redo, and you have just brought my inspiration back!!! Thank you dearly…

55. Tracy Suzanne says:

OMG ~ it’s so much prettier!!!

56. Marigene says:

Gorgeous transformation…mine is still sitting on the floor waiting for me to work up the nerve to spray it!

57. sherri lynn says:

This is an amazing transformation!! Spray paint really does make a huge difference!

58. Lisa - A Room with A View says:

Worth the effort of taking it down and cleaning it up completely..gorgeous!

59. SarahSkier says:

Wow! Thank you for posting! I am going to copy how you did this. It is beautiful, well done! 🙂

60. Sally says:

No one can have to much bling in their home. The chandy looks wonderful with it’s new modern update!

61. ❀ⒹⒺⒺ❀@ A Lapin Life says:

Beautiful transformation!

Dee

62. Carole @ Blue Chateau Interiors says:

Whoa! Now *that’s* quite the transformation! It’s looks absolutely gorgeous.

We have something in common. We’re downsizing & simplifying our home due to the recession. I’m packing boxes as we speak.

Visiting from Savvy Southern Style. Following you now. 🙂

63. Cottage and Broome says:

Great make over! Laura Cottage and Broome

64. Korrie@RedHenHome says:

Oh, it’s gorgeous! I keep hoping I’ll be one of those lucky people who score a chandelier dripping with prisms for $5 at a yard sale…hasn’t happened YET, but a girl can dream! Thanks for visiting Red Hen Home!

65. Kelli @ The Turquoise Piano says:

It looks so AMAZING! I have a chandy that I’m going to spray paint tomorrow but it’s not quite as pretty. LOVE yours!

I’m following back.

66. Sally says:

Thank you so much for your sweet comment & for following me! I love your chandelier & your white kitchen…I’m trying to get the courage to paint mine! I’m your newest follower!

67. Lolly Jane says:

love it! so cute. newest follower (:

ps: take off your no-reply blogger so people can hit reply and email you back when you comment 😉

68. Samantha says:

Is there anything that white spray paint can’t do?! Beautiful!
    🙂 Samantha
    craftytexasgirls.com

69. A To Zebra Celebrations says:

WOW!!!! love spray paint!! sooo pretty!!

70. Jenny @ Simcoe Street says:

love love love love love!

Jenny

71. Fishtail Cottage says:

I wish you could to! We never get trick-or-treaters where we live….but I still enjoy walking through my festive door when we come home! oxox

72. Oh you did an excellent job. It turned out just beautifully!!

73. Fishtail Cottage says:

so pretty! xoxo

74. lucylucia says:

Goodness what a change! It looks great!!

75. Stylish Settings says:

Oh yes – much prettier in white
    Cheers Kylie

76. TimeForLemonade says:

What a difference! It looks stunning…

77. Lindsay @ Delighted Momma says:

Oh my gosh I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! YES spray paint is def a girls best friend! If we have a girl for our next baby I would love that have a chandelier like this in her room

78. Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR says:

Aimee, isn’t spray paint a wonderful friend??!! What an amazing transformation! Your chandy is gorgeous now!! Great job!! Very, very pretty!!

79. Jen says:

Aimee, I had one more thought that I’d love to chat about with you, would you mind emailing me at icantstopcrafting@hotmail.com? Thanks!

80. Jen says:

Aimee, you’re too sweet, your comment brought a smile to my face! I luh-uh-uh-uh-ve your chandelier makeover, it’s so chic! Oh the magic of spray paint, no? Of course I’m following you back, I have a feeling we’ll be chattering back and fourth a lot! Wa-hoo! ~Jen @ http://www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

81. Aimee says:

Thanks Michelle!

82. Michelle says:

That spray paint did WONDERS! It looks amazing!!!! I am stopping by from your sweet comment and following you back!