10/16/11

Costume Ideas & Tutorial

Can you guess!?!?  Baby B is very old, short and green…Yoda!  Big B and Little B will be in Star Wars costumes, too.
This hat was super easy I thought I’d share.  This half circle is drawn on a 8 1/2×11 paper.  The straight edge is roughly 8 inches across.  Draw the shape until you are happy with it (preferably making it less cone-shaped then mine) and then layer the fabric and cut 2 half circles.
Next, copy or make a template for the ears and lower band.  The ears will each be doubled so cut out four of this shape.  For the band, cut a 20 inch long x 6 inch wide strip.  Fold the strip in half.
After cutting 4 ears, 2 toppers, and the rectangular band, sew 2 ears together on each side except the straight edge and then inside-out the sewn edges to hide your stitches.  Place each ear, gathered with a pin and attach with sewing machine to the lower sides of one topper, being intentional to angle ears down as pictured.

Keeping the ears in the same spot for now, place the other topper matching edges with the lower topper and sew round edge together leaving ears hiding within the hat.  Once all except flat edge have been sewn it is time to add the band.  Turn the hat right side out now exposing the ears.  Layer both cut edges of the length-wise folded band over the top portion’s straight edge.  Now you will sew all three edges that are lined up together.  Sew and fold down seam line.  Finished.  That’s it…$2 – 30 minutes tops.  Let your little guy have some serious FUN!  Baby B wanted to wear his to church.  Ha!
Combine the hat with a cape.  Capes are super easy and can be used for tons of boy costumes.  Use 1 1/2 yards of fabric and hem under the edges on both short widths and one of the long lengths.  With the remaining edge, fold over and hem, leaving a 1/4 inch casing (gap to add string).  Feed a long piece of rope through the casing and tie around Yoda’s neck.  I had everything except the fleece, which was $2 and still have some green fleece leftover so I may sew some Yoda hands in the next few days.  I love when those creative juices get to flowing and everything I need is in the craft armoire!
Here’s a Link to See Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker and Master Yoda Ready for Trick or Treating!
Here are a few more ideas to help you brainstorm.
{Source: Rook No. 17

{Souce: Instructables
{Souce: Alpha Mom

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Ty and Whitty says:

I love the yoda. So cute. The rest are so fun too. Thank you so much for sharing and for linking up to last weeks show and share. We hope to see you and your newest project on Wednesday.

A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

2. Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com says:

Great Yoda costume! The hat is adorable! Thanks for sharing.

3. Amanda says:

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I’d love it if you would submit them 🙂 If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

4. Jenny @ Embellishing Life says:

Oh my. That is one seriously cute yoda hat!!!

5. Mom in High Heels says:

What great ideas. I love the Yoda costume! Han Solo (6 months old) was almost Yoda for Halloween. James Bond was going to dress as Luke Skywalker to carry him around on his back. We’re thinking about doing it for next year when baby is a bit older. 🙂
    I’ll have to “pinterest” this for next year.

6. Brave Brooke says:

That is so cute! I love the simplicity!

7. Katie's Nesting Spot says:

My daughter is going to be Princess Leia and everyone thinks the baby should be Yoda. Maybe I should whip up one of those hats for him!

8. Amy says:

That Yoda costume is hysterical. Nice work! One Artsy Mama here following ya back…cute blog. 🙂 Have a great day!

9. Brooke @ Spruce Your Nest says:

These are so fun! Your blog is great! I am your newest follower 🙂

10. Karima says:

Wow – what a great idea and tutorial, your newest follower, Karima

11. Tyla says:

My little boy was Yoda a few years ago and his sister was Leia (he loved it…she? not so much) Thanks for the other costume ideas, too.

12. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime says:

Hi! Thanks for stopping by. Your newest follower as well 🙂 You’ve got tons of creativity and I’m admiring them all 🙂 Can you please share them at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party 🙂

13. Courtney McAulay says:

I featured this post today on my blog! 😀

14. Lindsay says:

Yay, I am so glad you found my blog, now I am happily following you! Thanks so much! Can’t wait to check out your adorable site!

15. Aimee says:

Alicia~ thanks…I’m glad you came by and hope you pop by often!!! I’m impressed by you…have some fun shopping!!! 🙂

Shades of Gray~ Thanks.

Sarah @ Three Boys~ October – December always FLIES, doesn’t it!!!

Michelle Paige~ Thanks for following me back!

16. Michelle Paige says:

Your Yoda is adorable! Thanks for the comment on michellepaige.blogspot.com I appreciate you taking the time to visit and follow! I’m following you back!
    –Michelle

17. Sarah, Three Boys says:

So cute! That reminds me. I need to get going on some halloween costumes!!

18. Shades of Gray says:

Great ideas! Thanks for checking out Shades of Gray! Returning the favor!

19. Oh these are so cute and your tutorial is great! I am new to your blog and I really like it!!