10/16/11

Pumpkin Patch Photography Tips

Pumpkin patches make great backdrops for fall pictures.  This was our ninth year to take pictures in a pumpkin patch, eighth year at this particular spot.  We’ve had both great and stressful experiences!  Here are some tips for your next pumpkin patch photo shoot.
Pumpkin Patch Photography Tips
-Go simple and let your pumpkins shine.  It’s easy to get super stressed out about outfits and then let your overwhelmed state give up on the idea. I’ve tried several different outfit ideas, but in my personal opinion, black and denim or white and denim, always works!  Nothing will take the attention away from your adorable little pumpkin’s face.  And most likely everyone has a picture outfit ready to go.  If your kids haven’t worn jeans all summer be sure to check for high waters in advance, especially if your pose involves sitting on pumpkins, jeans too short will definitely show.
-Be aware of the sun.  As darling as those pumpkins are you won’t love the results if you’re out there on a bright and sunny day.  Direct sun and children’s eyes is asking for a fight and lots of tears!  But also, with the backdrop of pumpkins, a crazy orange glow will be cast on complexions and light colored clothing.  If you have to take pumpkin patch pictures when the sun is harsh, look for shade next to trees or hail bails.  The best times to go are early in the morning or just before dusk.  This is one of those times that you really don’t need to keep checking your watch anxiously hoping your husband gets home super early.  Try to take a deep breath and relax.  Ours were taken at 6:30 in the evening and the sun was just as we like it!

-Think through what you’ll need.  In addition to outfits, you’ll need a tripod (be sure the part that attaches to the camera is there), a camera remote is a must (they aren’t expensive and we LOVE ours — you can get so many shots in a short time), and a charged battery.  Don’t bother to bring a brush and extra outfits.  Pumpkin patches are casual and natural, make your focus keeping everyone relaxed and excited.

-Have a conversation in advance.  Before we go on photo shoots, we always have a little conversation before we arrive.  I let them know which pictures we’ll be taking: family, sibling, and individuals.  We usually do these same shots every year, but the reminder is always helpful.  I also explain what the process will be when we arrive.  “I’m going to figure out where we’re taking pictures and I’d like you to stay with me and not complain.  As I’m setting up, look around and decide what you’d like to do when we’re finished.  I’m so glad we’re here together as a family we’re going to have so much fun!  When I get everything set up, I’ll need you to be really good about looking at the camera because if the picture I take doesn’t have smiley faces and eyes looking the right way we’ll have to do it again and I want to be able to explore the pumpkin patch with you.”  During that same conversation I remind them of the fun activities that await them when they’ve finished there photos…jump house, petting zoo, hay ride and hay bail maze.  It’s a little conversation we always have, but we always end it with them verbally agreeing to be helpful and to work hard to get the job done quickly.

-The options are limitless.  Pumpkins and hay bails can be rearranged to your liking – stack them, sit on them or spread them out.  There are wagons, hayrides, low fences, barns, sheds, doors, and lots of room to roam.  Look around and be creative with your backdrop.  Make yourself at home and set the scene up that appeals to you best.  Most farmers are pretty laid back and are glad you came.  You won’t be the first or last to change it up a bit, especially if you visit  the same patch we frequent!   Be sure to locate the spot and set it up before you start arranging the kids in position.  Your sweeties (and your hubby) may not be as excited about the pumpkin placements as you are.  Once you have the posed shots you came hoping for, be creative and try angling your camera different ways when taking their individual pictures– come from above or get down on their level.  And if there’s a little tension amongst the family, throw in some bathroom humor…it will totally catch them off guard and have everyone laughing and remembering back on the pumpkin patch fondly.  Let your child take a picture of you, they’ll love it!  Both posed and candid shots are precious.  I know the addiction of camera in hand, but be sure to keep your word and have some of their kind of fun, too!

Pumpkin Patch 2011

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. hannah says:

omg i saw this on pintrest and was like that’s or pumpkin patch!!! crazy

2. Great pics and tips! My weekly linky party–One Creative Weekend–has gone spooky this week in honor of my thirteenth party. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit “One Creative Weekend” on OneCreativeMommy.com (open every Fri-Wed) and link up this idea and anything else you’d like to share. (You can include non-Halloween posts as well, but feel free to link up as many Halloween-themed posts as you like.) There are two categories—one for Halloween and one for everything else.

3. Lisa Wilkinson says:

beautiful photos and great tips! I always say natural is better and watch the sun 🙂 nice post!

4. These are great tips! Thanks for sharing!

I featured you on my blog today, come on over and check it out: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/09/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-50.html

5. These are great tips! I’ve not gotten a pumpkin patch shot every year -but by far my favorite picture of my now 7 year old son was at 1 1/2 in the pumpkins – will keep some of your tips mind as we head out this year!

6. I love yout tips! I’m having pre-wedding photos of my bridal party and myself taken at a friends pumpkin stand, I hope they turn out as well as yours!

*The farmer in me did cringe a bit when you advised moving things around. Always ask and be able to recognize that a hesitant yes is sometimes really a no. A farm is hard work and it’s not fair to the farmer to wreck/rearrange his displays to get a perfect picture

• You are so right! I visit regularly so it works at my location, but this may not be true everywhere!!! Thanks for the great perspective! XO, Aimee

7. jamie says:

great tips! thanks so much… we have a pumpkin patch field trip coming up with the kids 😉

8. Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com says:

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing this at What’s In The Gunny Sack!

9. Hi Aimee,

I’m doing a 31 Days of Pumpkins series and featured this post on my blog today. I’ve never seen tips on having pictures taken in a pumpkin patch before and love the creativity!

10. Jaime says:

Great tips! We struggle with the lighting every year. I love the convo with your kids!

11. Casa De Luna says:

What wonderful family photos! I’m so impressed that you took them yourself. Great tips too!

12. Jenn says:

These are great pictures. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jenn

13. Amy @MoMomma says:

Would love to have you come link up on my MoMomma Monday! Great post. As a ‘recovering / retired’ photographer at the moment, I know great tips when I see em 😉 Thanks for posting! http://momommamoney.blogspot.com/2011/10/mommy-monday-7-on-momomma.html

14. Jenni says:

This is chalk full of some seriously good advice! I am making a mental list of them…I think many of them apply perfectly to picture taking for any occasion, really! 🙂 And I chuckled at the part about using bathroom humor to lighten the mood, because this is so true! 🙂 You have a beautiful family, and I love the outfits you chose for everyone! The cowboy boots are so cute! 🙂

I hope you have a great night! 🙂

Blessings,
    Jenni

15. June Scott says:

What a sweet family you have, Aimee! These are beautiful photos you’ll treasure for a lifetime! Thanks for the tips!

16. www.flairforhome.blogspot.com says:

Hi Aimee,

DARLING pictures!!!!!! Your children are precious!
    Best Regards,
    Beth

17. the 2 muses says:

My favorite time of year for photos!

18. Wendy@Once upon a rose haven says:

Great pictures and a beautiful family! I’m your newest follower 😉
    Blessings,
    ~Wendy

19. Kimberly from "bugaboo" says:

You know, this is exactly the kind of thin I was hoping to see linked up to my pumpkinspiration party this week! Thanks for the tips – glad I found you!

I’d love for you to link up to my pumpkin party:

“Pumpkinspiration Party!

20. Grace @ Sense and Simplicity says:

Well done – great photos. I know how stressful taking family photos can be, but yours look great. I think the little ‘talk’ is a great idea.

21. CalypsoInTheCountry says:

I love taking pictures at that time of day too. I love how yours came out – great tips!
    -Shelley

22. .Amelia.Bedelia. says:

Thanks so much for your sweet comment, I wanted to stop by and say “Hi!” too! 🙂 I’m thrilled to have “found you” and am your newest follower now!! Take care, Amy

23. Trina says:

Great pictures and tips! I always love your annual pumpkin patch pictures! And I love that you are blogging again!

24. Sarai says:

Great Pictures!! Love the pumpkin idea- and your daughter’s boots are so fun!! I’m keeping that idea tucked away for the future when my kiddos are older. Thanks for all of the inspiring ideas!! I’ve loved searching through your archives lately 🙂
    Sarai