11/19/11

Charmed Gift Soap Tutorial

Tis the Holiday Season!  I wanted to share a simple gift with a special touch!  This would be perfect for you to make and gift to friends, family and teachers.  It’s SUPER EASY and it looks and smells beautiful! Making fancy soap bars is so simple and with this added touch, you’re sure to impress!  All you need is a soap mold, pure glycerin soap, your favorite aroma scent, food coloring of your choice, a charm that makes you smile, a nail set and hammer.  I found the bath items at Hobby Lobby and with the constant 40% off coupon you can pull up on your phone, totally a deal!
Grab a microwave-safe bowl and your cheese grater – no worries, you’re working with soap.  It cleans up easily with hot water, much easier then cheese!  Grate two bars of the glycerin soap into the bowl.  When you get to the end of the bar, just toss the excess piece into the bowl, it’ll melt just fine!
Next, decide on a color for your bar of soap.  There are tons of options or you can stick with a basic color!!!  1 green and 1 blue!?!  1 yellow and 1 orange?!?  Whichever combination you decide, you will need 1-3 drops of food coloring.  My food coloring preference is always the gel formula ~ less mess.
I chose 2 drops of blue coloring.  Now using a butter knife blend the coloring with the soap.  It doesn’t have to be perfectly blended at this point.
Next add a half a dropper of your favorite fragrance.  I chose Vanilla Pomegranate and highly recommend it!!!  I may have to place a soap bar in each room because the flavor is just so yummy!!!  Use your knife to mix the fragrant throughout.
Place your bowl with colored soap into the microwave for 24 seconds (time may vary), until your soap is completely liquified.
Immediately, pour the liquid soap into your soap mold and prepare to wait patiently for the next 20 minutes.  The soap is ready to be removed when the temperature is luke warm and no longer hot.  Use a knife to cut around the top 1/8 inch, breaking the seal.  Then pull the mold back a bit to wiggle the soap free from the mold.

Next, place your soap upright and press your charm into the soap mold.  Take your nail set (I used the fatter end) and hammer and while holding the charm in place, hammer around the charm until an imprint has been made in the soap.

If you’ve been to It’s Overflowing before, you are totally not surprised that I chose a feather charm!  Don’t you think it’s fitting for Thanksgiving!?!?  You know Indians…feathers…turkeys!?!?  Perfect, right!

Once the soap is completely dry, place it in a sack with a bow.  If you want to add a fun touch and have some tree trimmings laying around, use a miter saw to cut a thin coaster for the soap.  Be sure to let the wood coaster dry completely 24-36 hours before using.  Cute, right!?  And just a little FYI, my Sweet B’s loved making soap with me!  It’s fun to let them contribute when gift giving!

If you’re visiting…I’m glad you stopped by It’s Overflowing where I update you daily on our endless diy projects and fun!  Here are a couple of my favorite tutorials: my Curbside Table turns Dazzling Kitchen Cart and my delicious Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Cupcakes! My place is all set for Thanksgiving and there’s always room for one more, so come visit soon!!!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Gen says:

Oh Aimee I love that! I made hundreds of Olive Oil soaps a few years ago for X-mas and it was a lot of work. They took forever to dry… maybe I’ll try to make these cuties now! Thanks,
    Gen

2. Andrea says:

I am so happy that you made it over:) Thank you so very much for linking up to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways:) It is my sincere hope that you will continue to make Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways a part of your Wednesdays! Keep the great posts comin’:)
    Blessings,
    Andrea

3. Tracey Potter says:

Fantastic tutorial, thanks for sharing. Coming over from Show and Tell Saturday. Happy Holidays.

4. Jen says:

Hey Aimee – Did ya see? Your charming tutorial came in #1 at the Head to Head Showdown! Come pick up a button! ~Jen

5. Evie says:

So cute, and I love the little coaster…what a great idea!

evie @ brown paper packages

6. Andrea says:

So AWESOME! This is perfect:) I am seriously loving your post! It is so informative and I think my subscribers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable (http://frugallysustainable.blogspot.com/2011/11/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-2.html). I really hope that you will put Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Wednesday!

Warmly,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
    Here’s the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

7. karla says:

this is definitely on my list of things to try someday. you make it look so easy.

8. Crafty Mischief says:

It’s so pretty! I really need to learn how to do this!

9. Shay says:

I love it! What a great idea! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ Shay:)

10. Becky says:

I love the idea of using a charm to make an impression. I’ve been making cold pour soaps for about 20 years and always love to learn something new!

11. NanAppetit says:

Awesome! Hope to try this.

12. the cape on the corner says:

it’s the feather that makes it not only pop but look super chic. love it!

13. Condo Blues says:

So easy! They would make a great hostess gift!

14. What a darling little gift. I love getting soap as gifts. I would love for you to add this to the Make and Takes spotlight page. http://www.makeandtakes.com

15. Kerryanne English says:

That’s really lovely.
    I’d love it if you could share this at my Simply Christmas Inspitaion Party at http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/2011/11/yay.html

16. Amber *SaltTree* says:

Oh how sweet! I think I’ll have to put this on my to do list for the holidays! 😉

17. Those are so lovely! Thanks for letting everyone in on how you made it. I would love it if you linked this to Spa{ahhh} Sundaze (http://www.projectpossessed.com/spaahhh-sundaze-1120/)

New GFC follower!

18. FABBY'S LIVING says:

Oh so much fun to make them for Christmas for the visit bathroom! Great tutorial and thanks for sharing it with us. Happy Thanksgiving. FABBY

19. Michele Alger says:

Okay, now I want to make some. I’m envisioning a snowflake. LOVE the feather!!! So beautiful…

20. Laura @ digiartcafe.com says:

These would make wonderful gifts! Thank you so much for sharing

21. Alyssabeth's says:

What a wonderful and elegant idea!

22. Smallgood says:

Gorgeous! It looks really professional, something you’d buy in a boutique.

23. This is so pretty. It’s a perfect gift. Thanks so much for sharing.:)

24. marissa says:

those turned out darling, I’ve never tried to make soap before that looks so fun I’d love it if you would add this to my blog party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

25. Jen says:

What a sweet gift idea for teachers and neighbors, Aimee! Come link this up, the party goes live tonight! ~Jen

26. Aimee says:

Thanks Maury, Dudu (from SPAIN)!, and Katie for the sweet notes!!

Lydia, I bought the feather for next to nothing at Michaels. I used my iphone to show them my Hobby Lobby coupon and it was maybe $2!?! I think less though. There are TONS of charms there!!!

27. Lydia says:

So I have to know where you got the charm? Did you buy it specifically for this? Should I have charms? 🙂

28. Maury says:

This is really cute. What a fun little gift!