Simple Dreamy Feather Trees

November 28, 2011 by 61 Comments

Cute Feather Trees, right!  Simple, too!
I started with an empty Braum’s paper bag, definitely not fancy yet!
I cut along the paper bags edges until I had a super long strip of paper still intact (with exception to the removed handles).
I decided I wanted my cones to be 9 1/2 inches tall so I drew on the paper bag, then cut a rectangle shape with the top half rounded.  The tip to bottom length 9 1/2 inches and my width 15 inches.  I overlapped the ends when pulling it into cone shape until I reached the thickness I was hoping for.
Attach with tape.  Black tape may not be the best option, but it was what I had on hand and it worked!
I threw on my jacket and spread out my paint tablecloth on the grass and sprayed all three of my cones white with my favorite spray paint, Rustoleum Spray Paint, Special THANKS to my photographer (hubby) for introducing me to the best covering spray paint EVER and the nozzle is thicker then standard size which keeps your fingers clean!  I love it and I’m not endorsed by it!  It’s that good.  The picture below was me taking two seconds to cover it.  One true coat would have covered the trees perfectly!
Next, I grabbed my glue gun and while it was heating, I opened my bag of feathers that were 40% off (thanks Hobby Lobby for your almost always available online coupon) of $1.99 bought at Michaels and began cutting feathers into thirds.  You can see below that the bottom and middle are great for coverage and the tip is best for covering the stem.
Starting at the bottom I worked in a circle around each cone and covered with one solid layer and then went back over the tree to cover the stems or empty spaces.
It’s all about making it look pretty, there’s not a true formula for the order.  Do make sure you hang the feathers below the bottom ridge so you won’t see the paper bag when the trees are on display.  The bag of feathers will definitely stretch far.  I still have leftovers after decorating three trees.  What to do with the rest?!?  Hmm.
Here are my feather trees waiting for their new home….want to see where they ended up!?!?

Don’t candle holders totally make it all come together!?!?  Now they’re sure to get noticed at our Christmas parties this month!!!

The candleholders are from ZGallerie.  It’s on my Christmas Wish List Under $30  Favorite Things Under $30 List – click for the link.

Comments

61 Responses to “Simple Dreamy Feather Trees”
  1. Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

2. Shiloh says:

Oh wow! I would never have known what was at the bottom of those. They look so fancy!

3. Gorgeous…I love them and the others you showed

4. Wow, love it. What a great idea. We have chickens so I have a great deal of feathers….to choose from…out in the barn! Love how you did this and yes it looks easy!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

5. Mary says:

I would never look at those and think … paper bag. What a fabulous finish to a simple beginning.

Thanks ~ Mary @ SeaQuilts

6. Sally says:

Love it! Thanks for the tip!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

7. Jill says:

Love them…and my cats would adore them :)
    -Jill @ Junky Vagabond

8. Maury says:

So cute and fun! I can see so many variations as well! Great job!

9. trumatter says:

This is so chic! Oh, I wonder if you are thinking of a shabby & dreamy pink Christmas! This is to be copy cat-ted :)

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog.

10. Aww…thanks so much for the feature!! I love love love your feathered trees! I can’t wait to see the rest of your Christmas decor. I’m sure it will be beautiful!

11. Aimee says:

@Emily @ 52 Mantels Of Course! You’re trees were so bright and fun and a total work of art!

12. Kristen says:

Easy and inexpensive. Using a paper bag as the tree base is brilliant! I’m also going to have to try out Rustoleum spray paint. I used to use Krylon and then discovered Valspar which is my favorite!

13. Wow, these turned out so gorgeous! I would have never even thought to make the cone myself! They’re definitely sure to be a hit at your x-mas party!

14. Artsy VaVa says:

Beautiful! I can’t believe that started with a paper bag!! Thanks for the tutorial.

15. fromgentogen says:

These are absolutely stunning — thank you so much for sharing!
    Blessings, Becky

16. Ruth says:

I love your feather trees. They look amazing. I would have never dreamed they were paper bags.

Ruth

17. They look fabulous.

I’d love for you to share this project over at my Inspiration Party at Simply Christmas ~ http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/2011/12/inspiration-friday.html

18. Tonya says:

Very cute! Thanks for sharing!

19. Those are fabulous Aimee and that is such a great tutorial…simple enough for folks like me! LOL! Thank you so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week~
    Vanessa

20. Ms. Kathleen says:

What a wonderful simple way to make some gorgeous and something that looks expensive. Amazing what paper, paint and feathers can do. Thanks for sharing!

21. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says:

Love love love~ they are darling! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

22. Jessica @ My World - Made By Hand says:

Love these…I would be thrilled if you would share them on my Christmas linky.

Jessica

23. Erika says:

Gorgeous. You make it seem so simple and yet the outcome looks very expensive.

Erika
    It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising

24. This comment has been removed by the author.

25. Those looks so beautiful and dreamy! I love the finished look on the candle holders, it really pulls the look together. Nice job. Visiting from Sumo’s Sweet Stuff.

26. Donna says:

I have seen feather trees in Holiday Shops and they can be pricey! You did a wonderful job putting these together! I love the feather’s and I am afraid my cats would also love the feather’s too much! I hopped on over from Today’s Creative Blog. Thanks for sharing. Have a super day!

27. Just gorgeous! Pinned these today :) Thanks for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday.

-Trish @ Mom On Timeout

28. Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic says:

Love these feather trees! The candle holders really give them the extra touch of gorgeousness.

~Shanon

29. I featured this post on my “Best of” post this week! Thanks so much for sharing at the Crazy Cute party last week! I love your stuff (as always)!

30. I featured this post on my “Best of” post this week! Thanks so much for sharing at the Crazy Cute party last week! I love your stuff (as always)!

31. Rosemary@villabarnes says:

Clever. I love em.

32. GREAT tut! Thank you so much for sharing it! All the time I was reading your post today, The Nutcracker kept dancing through my mind. :)

xoxo laurie

33. Mid-Atlantic Martha says:

Brilliant! What a great idea.

34. Aimee says:

Karen: They are actually on my “favorite things” list! LOL! I want more. They’re from ZGallerie! And the shine on them is unreal! Hope Santa brings them to you!!! XOXO http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2011/12/favorite-things-under-30.html

35. Linda says:

I LOVE your trees and hope you will post a link at my Show It Off Thurdays party at:

Thanks, Linda

36. Megan says:

These are so cute! I love them. :) Megan

37. These are super pretty, Aimee!

38. these are fantastic! Can’t beat white feathers! I am going to feature in my weekly wow’s on Saturday.

39. Diana says:

Adorable I love feathers!

40. Such pretty trees and all at a pretty price too!

Very nice blog.

41. Robin says:

Adorable. I love that you used white feathers. I love using white feathers for the holidays too. they add such a cozy feeling to rooms.

42. Mel says:

Thanks for sharing they are so beautiful

43. They are very pretty Aimee! Great tutorial Thanks!

44. Jann Olson says:

Your feather trees turned out really cute. I agreem Rustoleum is the best spray paint. The bases helped to give that extra pizazz! Hopped over from Common Ground. Now following you.
    Hugs,
    Jann

45. Oh, wow, how I wish I had the “crafty” gene!!! These are so cool for a fraction of the price you would pay in the stores!!! I have a ton of loose feathers that would work so well for making these, but I’m just not that confident. It’s the cone-making part that really intimidates me. You, however, did a wonderful job!

46. Cynthia says:

Love it! I especially like how you have them displayed on stands!

47. Sara says:

These are so cute! I’ve been looking around for a way to make my own trees too.

Please come share it at my link party

48. So beautiful!!!

Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

49. rebecca wheeler says:

Great tutorial…I used a white boa from the dollar store…easy peasy…and saved alot of time….

50. I love that you made your own cones Aimee! Sharing on Facebook today :)

51. How fun, love the white fluffy look!!

52. Bliss says:

When I go shopping today think I’ll stop in at Abercrombie and ask for a bag. I can turn the cute young guy into a Christmas tree. Not sure I will feather one, but that is a great idea for a costume – minus the hot glue of course.

Bliss

53. LOVE these! Thinking this will be a week-after-Christmas project for me and my littles!

54. Marlyce Colgate says:

The trees are stunning! I’m holding a double baby shower for my daughters and I am making about 30, 20″ trees for centerpieces. What size bag of feathers were used for this project? What was the approx. length of the feathers before you cut them into three pieces. I need to figure how many bags I need to purchase for my project. I can hardly wait to see the finished product of the pastel winter theme! Outstanding Idea! Thank-you

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Feather Christmas Trees from It’s Overflowing [...]

2. [...]  Simple Tutorial Dreamy Feather Trees ~ These feather trees are absolutely gorgeous!  The candlesticks give them the perfect touch.  [...]