Curbside Table Turns Kitchen Cart

November 3, 2011 by 96 Comments

About six months ago, we were on the way to church wearing our Sunday Best, when I spotted this table on a curb about a block down the street we just passed.  I begged and pleaded and we turned around and threw the table in the trunk of my Photographer’s (hubby) sedan where it stayed for the next two weeks until something triggered my memory and I ran out to the garage and brought it into our home.
The weathered table must have spent many a nights facing sun, wind and snow!  In it’s new spot, the kids brushed by it as they ran their favorite loop around the house.  Endless pieces of paint began to chip and spread all over my beautiful wood floors and drive me absolutely crazy! So I grabbed some polyurethane and gave it a thick coat.  I liked the look much more with the cream paint staying put, but still wondered what it would eventually become.
As I was perusing Pinterest, it totally came to me!!!  I saw this beautiful kitchen cart and I totally new this sweet things destiny in life!!!
Kitchen Cart
Coaster
I tightened the screws.
I Cut Slats into the Legs and my Photographer (aka, my hubby) Cut a Board Out of Plywood — the little table needed added storage and stability!

I Primed the Table and the Shelf.

Then I ran to Home Depot and picked up a cheap $4 towel bar and a $2.94 sample tub of Behr Paint, color: Spiced Butternut (fitting for this time of year, right), and 4 caster wheels ($5.90/2).
Source: Home Depot
Last night, I finally got ambitious and put some action behind all my ideas!!!

Here she is in all white wearing her snazzy “new shoes” ~ and me LOVING her!  There was already a hole drilled through the bottom of each leg so I grabbed some toothpicks and super glue.  Dropped the toothpick in the hole and place a few drops of glue on the screw of the wheel.  This helped lots! With some pressure I was able to twist the casters snuggly into place!
Starting to Look Like a Fabulous Kitchen Cart!
I totally love this Kitchen Cart Remodel!  (Althought the pic isn’t quite showing the authentic color and my photographer’s (hubby) at work so he can’t help me, bummer — the pic above is the true color.  It’s yellow with a bit of spice).  From trash to treasure in less than $20 Total!  Do you love it too!??!  Are you going to “Pin it”?!?!  Ha Ha!  I’m off to get more inspiration while I wait for the paint to dry so I can accessorize!!!  Now if I can get busy and write some more posts about how I made my kitchen look all dazzling!
Side by Side: Here’s the Before and After!

Comments

96 Responses to “Curbside Table Turns Kitchen Cart”
  1. Stacey says:

I love this Aimee – the color – the makeover – love that you snatched it from the garbage! You go girl!
    Featuring this later in my favorites post!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

2. Cindy says:

Hi Aimee, love this transformation!! How did you notch the legs for the shelf?? And how did you attach the shelf? Is it simply resting in the notches, or drilled from underneath somehow? Can’t quite figure it out, lol.
    Thanks!!!

• Aimee says:

Hi Cindy! I just used a little hand saw to cut out the notches…the shelf is tight and screws weren’t necessary. :) Send me a pic if you give it a try, I’d love to see it! XO, Aimee

3. Melissa says:

I did pin it….because I love it!

4. Just came across this re-do on another blog. I usually love chippy furniture, but you did an awesome job making that table come to life. LOVE the yellow and transformation. Great work!

5. Linda says:

Aimee – I’m not understanding how you got the shelf in the notches without removing a leg?

• Aimee says:

Hi Linda! No need for a leg to be removed. If the notches are wide enough to fit the board, slip two in and then the other should be able to be pushed into place. XO, Aimee

6. Nadine says:

GENIUS! I am going to try this, if I can find a suitable cart or table to salvage.

7. Kathy says:

Fabulous!
    Kathy

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Curbside Trash Turns Kitchen Cart here [...]

2. [...] little table was discovered curbside on the way to church, according to Aimee of It’s Overflowing.  ”The weathered table must have spent many a nights facing sun, wind and snow!” she [...]