11/03/11

Curbside Table Turns Kitchen Cart

About six months ago, we were on the way to church wearing our Sunday Best, when I spotted this table on a curb about a block down the street we just passed.  I begged and pleaded and we turned around and threw the table in the trunk of my Photographer’s (hubby) sedan where it stayed for the next two weeks until something triggered my memory and I ran out to the garage and brought it into our home.
The weathered table must have spent many a nights facing sun, wind and snow!  In it’s new spot, the kids brushed by it as they ran their favorite loop around the house.  Endless pieces of paint began to chip and spread all over my beautiful wood floors and drive me absolutely crazy! So I grabbed some polyurethane and gave it a thick coat.  I liked the look much more with the cream paint staying put, but still wondered what it would eventually become.
As I was perusing Pinterest, it totally came to me!!!  I saw this beautiful kitchen cart and I totally new this sweet things destiny in life!!!
Kitchen Cart
Coaster
I tightened the screws.
I Cut Slats into the Legs and my Photographer (aka, my hubby) Cut a Board Out of Plywood — the little table needed added storage and stability!

I Primed the Table and the Shelf.

Then I ran to Home Depot and picked up a cheap $4 towel bar and a $2.94 sample tub of Behr Paint, color: Spiced Butternut (fitting for this time of year, right), and 4 caster wheels ($5.90/2).
Source: Home Depot
Last night, I finally got ambitious and put some action behind all my ideas!!!

Here she is in all white wearing her snazzy “new shoes” ~ and me LOVING her!  There was already a hole drilled through the bottom of each leg so I grabbed some toothpicks and super glue.  Dropped the toothpick in the hole and place a few drops of glue on the screw of the wheel.  This helped lots! With some pressure I was able to twist the casters snuggly into place!
Starting to Look Like a Fabulous Kitchen Cart!
I totally love this Kitchen Cart Remodel!  (Althought the pic isn’t quite showing the authentic color and my photographer’s (hubby) at work so he can’t help me, bummer — the pic above is the true color.  It’s yellow with a bit of spice).  From trash to treasure in less than $20 Total!  Do you love it too!??!  Are you going to “Pin it”?!?!  Ha Ha!  I’m off to get more inspiration while I wait for the paint to dry so I can accessorize!!!  Now if I can get busy and write some more posts about how I made my kitchen look all dazzling!
Side by Side: Here’s the Before and After!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. What a great idea!!!

2. Fabulous!
    Kathy

3. Nadine says:

GENIUS! I am going to try this, if I can find a suitable cart or table to salvage.

4. Linda says:

Aimee – I’m not understanding how you got the shelf in the notches without removing a leg?

• Hi Linda! No need for a leg to be removed. If the notches are wide enough to fit the board, slip two in and then the other should be able to be pushed into place. XO, Aimee

5. Just came across this re-do on another blog. I usually love chippy furniture, but you did an awesome job making that table come to life. LOVE the yellow and transformation. Great work!

6. Melissa says:

I did pin it….because I love it!

7. Cindy says:

Hi Aimee, love this transformation!! How did you notch the legs for the shelf?? And how did you attach the shelf? Is it simply resting in the notches, or drilled from underneath somehow? Can’t quite figure it out, lol.
    Thanks!!!

• Hi Cindy! I just used a little hand saw to cut out the notches…the shelf is tight and screws weren’t necessary. 🙂 Send me a pic if you give it a try, I’d love to see it! XO, Aimee

8. I love this Aimee – the color – the makeover – love that you snatched it from the garbage! You go girl!
    Featuring this later in my favorites post!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

9. Jocie@TheBetterHalf says:

This was one of my favorite elements of your kitchen redo! so glad you linked it up! Remember to link back or grab a button. 🙂

10. Corn in my Coffee-Pot says:

How very clever!
    I thought when I clicked the link, this was going to be one of those I just found it and painted it…like I did when I first tried DIY chalkpaint on my curb-shopped demi lune!
    BUT NO.
    You cleverly RE-designed your little table. I love it!
    Great job.

–Pat

11. I'm Busy Procrastinating says:

Love this project. I’m a sucker for anything on casters. Pinning!

12. Bernadette @ B3hd says:

Super cute yellow color! Love it and pinned it (of course)

Bernadette

13. Jackie says:

Thanks for the follow today. You Made My Day!! Yes, it’s that serious. hahaha

I did the same with an old sewing table. Absolutley NO SHAME stopping in the alley and removing it from a neighbor’s trash pile. haha. I love your paint job and the bar. I need to to do that to my Pastry table. I replaced the sewing table with an old Pastry table I found in a Thrift Store. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime says:

Hi! I pinned this on Pinterest, posted on fb, and featured at Creative DIYers Club. Please feel free to grab the feature button 🙂

15. Lori says:

How could anyone through this out! You did a beautiful makeover…glad I found it…it is pinned, Lori

16. Anonymous says:

How do you attach the wheels?

17. Aimee says:

Thanks so much for the sweet notes!!! I’m loving the splash of bright yellow in the house!

18. Nicole@Thrifty Decorating says:

Featuring this on Thrifty Thursday this week! 🙂

19. You absolutely nailed this! Great job! You’re being featured this week at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Thanks SO much for sharing!

20. Nikki@EverythingUndertheMoon says:

I featured your kitchen cart as one my favorite linkies from last week’s Bedazzle Me Monday!! Feel free to stop by and grab a feature button!! Thanks for linking. Hope to see you again this week 🙂

Hope to see you at Random Act of Kindness Week this week!!

21. Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com says:

Aimee…this is adorable! You did a fantastic job. Thanks for your continued support of What’s In The Gunny Sack!

22. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle says:

I already told you how great this project is so it should come as no surprise that I will be featuring you on this weeks Amaze Me Monday 😀

23. Flea Market Trixie says:

cute, I love the bright yellow too!

24. Small Holdings Farm says:

Hi, I am your newest follower. You’re a girl after my own heart…Love the cart. Stop by my blog for a Driftwood Sailboat Give-a-way. I also made some great whale cut-outs out of old barn wood. Would love to have you as a follower. Sherron

25. Rachel Sue says:

This is fabulous! I would love to feature it on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

26. Scribbler says:

This is really cute! I love yellow, so you had me at yellow!

27. Comeca Jones says:

The cutest!

28. Katie says:

WOW! The finished product looks amazing!!!!

29. Nancy@OwensOlivia says:

You did a great job! Very inspiring. I love the color too!

30. Grace @ Sense and Simplicity says:

Fabulous makeover and what a gorgeous shade of yellow you chose.

31. Cathy @My 1929 Charmer says:

I’m loving that sunny yellow. The outside of my house is yellow, and it always feel like “sunshine on my shoulders”. Hmmm where have I heard that before? It turned out lov.er.ly. You really did it justice. I would make it a “bar” cart, that way you could take it room to room with you. I love the weather look, but sometimes it’s just not practical. Good job! Thanks so much for posting at Sunday’s Best. It’s what we need, creativity.

32. Nikki@EverythingUndertheMoon says:

Oh WOW!!! I cant believe the way it’s been transformed. I completely love it!! New follower! Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party 🙂 http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-7_6572.html

Also, PRETTY PLEASE stop by and check out Random Act of Kindness Week going on all next week!! Would love to see you participate!!

Have a great week!!

33. Jennifer Rizzo says:

It looks so super cute!!!

34. April says:

It looks gorgeous!

35. Jessica @ My World - Made By Hand says:

You already know I love this!

Thanks for linking it to Totally Tutorial Tuesdays 🙂

Jessica

36. You did a great job! I would love for you to share over at “DUMPSTER DIVA” You are my kinda gal! I am hosting my 2nd linky party and it closes in 8 hours, please feel free to join the fun!

37. heather@commonplacebeauty says:

What a great idea! And I LOVE the color!

38. Amber *SaltTree* says:

great job! love the colour choice!

39. Steph @ Crafting in the Rain says:

Looks lovely–what a great idea!

40. Nat and Holly says:

I found you at Tip Junkie tonight… I love your blog!!! I am your newest follower and can’t wait to look around a bit more once the kiddos are in bed 🙂 This cart transformation is amazing! I would love to feature you on my blog sometime!

41. Diana Reed says:

Great job! You have inspired me to think outside the box!!

42. Rosemary@villabarnes says:

Great job of repurposing.

43. Michelle says:

Fabulous Transformation

44. Jen Lossing, The Consigner Designer says:

This looks amazing. I just love that it’s moveable and yellow!! I am new to your blog. I will definitely have to come back!

45. Funkytime says:

it turned out fabulous, I once ‘pimped’ up my Ikea kitchen cart;-)http://bit.ly/qb0RLm

46. safety jackets and vests says:

A great transformation, I would never think of turning a table into a trolley. It will be best to give a new look to my old furnitures, which I stored in garage.

47. Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} says:

So cute! I am dying for an island but don’t have much room. This would be perfect! Great Job 🙂

48. Creative Raisins says:

Wow what a great transformation, I love the color you picked.

49. Kim@todayismysome-day says:

Beautiful, wonderful transformation!! Good thing you turned your car around that morning!

50. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle says:

Fantastic!! Love the color. I have wanted a cute little table on rollers like yours for my laundry room for some time. Thank you for inspiring.

51. Jake Easley says:

How cool is this? The shelf is a given. But the handle? I never would have thought to use “that” handle?! Love this! Great job and thanks for sharing.

52. Geneva says:

Wow! How impressive…you did a marvelous job! Thank you for sharing your inspiration and creative process! Great Job!

53. Sharon, aka Bootersmom03 says:

Great transformation! Love the color!

54. Kei says:

Wow that looks so awesome! I love the colour you chose too! It’s great to see a new lease of life being given to old furniture! 🙂

55. Andrea @Oasis Accents says:

Wow that turned out gorgeous! I really love that sunny yellow color. You did a fantastic job! Thanks for linking up to Sunday’s Best =)

56. The DIY Show Off says:

Great rescue! It’s gorgeous!

57. Love this table…following you now. It’s such a pop! 🙂

58. Desiree @ The 36th Avenue says:

I am featuring you tomorrow. Please feel free to stop by and button-up!

59. Heaven's Walk says:

Aimee – you are one creative gal! I never would’ave thought of making a cart out of that sweet table! Love it, girlie! Great job! 🙂

xoxo laurie

60. Honey at 2805 says:

What a neat job and a great color!

Thanks for linking your project to Potpourri Friday!

61. Honey at 2805 says:

What a neat job and a great color!

Thanks for linking your project to Potpourri Friday!

62. Honey at 2805 says:

What a neat job and a great color!

Thanks for linking your project to Potpourri Friday!

63. Karen says:

Oh Aimee, you did a fabulous job! I love the warm buttery colour too. You are so clever! God bless x

64. Amanda says:

This is such a wonderful transformation! The colour is gorgeous, I’m off to find a table I can make into a kitchen cart!

65. A Vintage Vine says:

That is so wonderful! Saw it at Craptastic and I had to come over and give you a high 5!

66. Katie says:

You did such an awesome job! I love the bright yellow! Love the casters too!! I featured you today!!

67. Aimee says:

Oh My Goodness Y’all are TOO SWEET!!! So far no rides on the cart thankfully!!! And for those that were partial to the previous color, I totally get that. It took me a few months to be totally certain that this was the way to go!!! I’m usually a super neutral toned decorator so the splash of color is a total fun surprise! In fact, the kids gasped in the morning because they were so surprised that I didn’t paint it white!!!

68. Jessica @ My World - Made By Hand says:

Um…I want one!

69. Desiree @ The 36th Avenue says:

Super FUN!

I would love for you to share it on my link party! I hope to see you there!

70. Miss Char says:

Great transformation, it looks fabulous with the casters and the new coat of paint. Thanks for sharing.

71. theembellishednest says:

It looks amazing! So very cheery!

72. Emily @ 52 Mantels says:

A-mazing! Yes, I totally pinned it! I’m so impressed, Aimee. And, totally jealous of your curbside find!

73. Great idea. I love it in both of it’s forms – before and after! 🙂

74. trumatter says:

This is totally amazing. What a great transformation Aimee! I love the color you chose too.

Very clever use of space 🙂

75. Lexi says:

I love the bright yellow color! Thank you for stopping by and following me. I am now following you as well.

76. Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch says:

Although I really, really liked the before, I can see that it is more functional and fun now. Great job!!

77. Jodi says:

such a great job! such a lovely color 🙂

78. Amy says:

great job girl!!! love it!!!

79. Jenny @ Simcoe Street says:

Fun colour!! Look great 🙂

Thanks for your comment. If you wind up making an invitation ornament, let me know so I can check it out! (Though I’m sure I’ll catch it on here anyway)

Jenny

80. Kahli says:

That is really great! I love that shade of yellow too!

81. Marcia says:

LOVE it. It’s so pretty and cheerful. I love yellow though. I’m also glad you shared that picture from Uncommon Slice of Suburbia. I took our cart out of the kitchen last week and it’s sitting in our garage staring at me. I want to paint it but I really don’t want it back in the kitchen (took up too much room), and I was driving myself crazy about it because my husband bought it for me a few years ago. There’s hope for our cart after all. 😉
    Love your page.
    Much love!

82. sherri lynn says:

This is brilliant! Now I will be on the lookout for a similar table because I would love a cart in my kitchen! I love that you painted it bright yellow 🙂

83. Ms. A says:

Love, love, love the color! And what a great idea. I’ve given you (another) award over at my blog. What can I say, I love your blog and think you have some great, ok fantastic, ideas! This one is a tad bit easier than the Versatile Blogger Award, so please head on over and check it out!

84. Lydia says:

I love it! Although the weathered look was beautiful, I can understand the annoyance of saying, “stop touching the table! stop touching the table!” overruled!! 🙂 And the pop of color will add some drama in your kitchen!

• Anonymous says:

I agree–I thought it was beautiful as a distressed table!!! I was bummed to see it painted. But that’s just my preference.

85. Aimee says:

Ha Ha Ha. It glides perfectly, too so I’ll have to let y’all know how that goes!!! No brakes!!!

86. Erin of Salvaged Whimsy says:

SO cute…I love the color and the castors (or is it casters?). Like another commenter said..I could totally see my kids using it to push themselves, toys, the dog, etc around the house…hopefully there are breaks! Beautifully done!

87. Tiki says:

Wow, what a great idea and it turned out so lovely!! Let’s hope the kids don’t realize they can push each other around on it!! I know mine would…lol…absolutely beautiful!

88. Deanne says:

what a great transformation, I would never think of turning a table into a trolley!