Potterybarn Inspired: Monogram Ornament

December 19, 2011 by 30 Comments

I love Pottery Barn Christmas Ornaments!  When I saw this SUPER CUTE Glitter Monogram Ornament, I knew I had to recreate my own knockoff!
My sweet mother-in-law and I had a wonderful time this weekend shopping {scouting ideas} from our favorite stores.  Potterybarn had this simple ornament and I’m a sucker for anything monogrammed! This is found in-store only.  The price was too much when you consider it would take little effort to be duplicated!  Every crafter is different, but I’m not one to fill a shopping cart of goodies to make something that ends up costing more than if I’d bought it ready-made from the store.  This craft has my stamp of approval for simplicity!

You’ll need a sheet of cream or white card stock {whatever you have on hand}, a computer and a printer.  As soon as I saw the template ornament, I knew the font I wanted to use!  I found a great font to imitating Potterybarn’s ornament. It’s simple, but unique.  Arno Pro {I set my text size to 200 in my word document}.

Next I used a drinking cup and traced around the letter.  I didn’t want to purchase a punch from the craft store, but if you have one on hand feel free to use it.  I personally take great pride in how great I am at cutting out circles!  LOL!  You’ll want to cut two circles.  One with your favorite initial and the other plain.
Paint a coat of mod podge on the plain sheet of paper and lie the monogrammed circle on top of the plain circle so that your ornament is extra thick, but the initial is still visible.  Use a bit of elmer’s glue and line the rim of the circle.

Cover the glue with glitter.

Paint a SUPER thin coat of mod podge to the bell {careful not too much or the glue will reach the bell and you won’t have a jingle anymore ~ been there, done that}.  Sprinkle some glitter on the glue.  Let it dry and recoat the bell with another thin coat of mod podge

Once the glitter and glue have dried, paint a thin coat of mod podge over the entire ornament to minimize the spread of glitter!
Let the ornament dry completely.  Use a hole puncher {use a thin punch if you have one} at the top of the ornament to make one small hole.  Separate a 8 inch piece of jute string so that you just have one string {keep it combined if your hole is a larger size).
String the bell with floral wire and place the wire through the jute string.  Pull the jute string through so that both ends are even.  Hold both strings together, wrap them around to make a loop at the end and tuck the end through the loop.  Pull tight.
Add your newest Potterybarn-ish ornament to your tree and step back to enjoy.  Consider making one for each member of your family, to attach and hang from your stockings or attach them to gifts!  It would take five minutes and some dry time to make a couple dozen of these!  I love it when a craft has a good payoff both in time and money!

Comments

30 Responses to “Potterybarn Inspired: Monogram Ornament”
  1. Michelle says:

You made your own that’s so sweet. I’m a sucker for anything monogrammed too!

2. This came out great! Laura

3. This is so pretty, I just love it! Thanks for showing us how it’s done! I love seeing things from our favorite stores broken down so we can make them ourselves. Well done!

4. Jen says:

Great tutorial!! I can’t wait to make them and put them on everyones gifts! They will be a hit!!

5. Andee Eve@ bearing fruit says:

Cute! I’m loving this one! Now where’s my glitter…?
    xo
    Andee

6. Kristle Jones says:

Love copycat Pottery Barn anything!!!

Found you on Tip Junkie ; )

xo Kristle

7. It is very sweet, nice job!

8. Thanks so much for sharing this and the great tutorial. It really looks good. I love mammogramed anything. We only need PB for inspiration. Hope they don’t read this comment! Happy Holidays!

9. Our Delightful Home says:

Simple but stunning!

~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

10. Maury says:

Too cute! I love the simplicity!

11. Jodie says:

Love it! I’m definitely trying this next year! Thanks for sharing!

Jodie

12. Bama Girl says:

Thank you so much for the very detailed tutorial! And I like how you use what you have instead of buying so many items. The ornament is something that can be used any time of the year!

13. Simone says:

What a great idea! Thanks for the instructions, they look gorgeous on the tree, just love how personalized they are. Merry Christmas!

14. Heidi @ Decor & More says:

What an awesome project! These would be great to attach to teacher gifts or treat bags. Thanks for sharing ~ visiting from Tuesdays Treasures. :)

15. Heidi @ Decor & More says:

16. Cute Aimee!! And so simple! My two favorite things :)

17. Pam - diy Design Fanatic says:

I love your ornament! It’s so cute!

18. Shabby chic Sandy says:

Looks great! Such a great idea

19. Hi I found you on Someday Crafts and I like this so much I might make it someday. LOL

20. Sandy Ang says:

Looks beautiful on your tree !

21. I love this idea. You did a great job and your instructions are easy to follow (always a plus).

22. Very very pretty. Love this idea. I would love for you to share this at my special holiday linky party going on right now! http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/12/12-days-of-christmas-holiday-linky.html

Happy Holidays to you and yours!!
    ~Nikki …xoxo

23. So cute!!!! I’ll have to try it!!! thanks!

24. Jane says:

So cute! Great tutorial too – I know just what you mean about ending up with a basketful of stuff that ends up costing more than if you’d just bought the item in the first place!!! Love the way you still cut your own circles too – handcrafting – the way to go!
    Thanks!
    p.s. Came from Tip Junkie

25. Heather says:

Love this knockoff! I love Pottery Barn but not their prices sometimes! This is a great way to get the look for less – great tute!

26. Lauren says:

LOVE it! I’m adding this to my to do for Christmas! Thanks for the tutorial.

27. valarie says:

Too adorable for words, oh, and the ornament is cute too!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […]  Monogram Ornaments {Pottery Barn inspired} ~ This tutorial shows you have to make ornaments like the monogramed ones sold at Pottery Barn. […]