Strawberry Puffed Pancakes

December 18, 2011 by 21 Comments

Strawberry Puffed Pancakes is one of our family’s favorite breakfast treats!  You probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen already.
Flour, Sugar, Salt, Eggs, Milk, and Butter.  {For toppings the Puffed Pancakes, we prefer adding strawberries, sour cream, brown sugar and syrup}.  Yes, sweet!  This tasty treat is definitely not your everyday breakfast!  The kids SQUEAL with excitement when its served!
Place a 1/4 cup butter {that’s half of a stick} inside a pie plate and allow the butter to melt as the oven is preheating to 425.  Keep an eye on it because butter does burn.
Beat 3 eggs, 1 1/2 cup of milk, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt until will mixed.  Add 1 cup of flour* and continue mixing until combined.
By the time you’ve finished mixing the flour, the butter in the oven should be melted.  Pour the batter directly over the melted butter and place it back into the oven for 20 minutes or until brown.  The center should not be runny when you take it out of the oven.
Serve with your favorite toppings.  We layer the toppings like this: Sour Cream, Strawberries, Brown Sugar and then a dot of syrup!  Their mouths start watering even before their first bite!  And I double the recipe because having it again the next morning is like putting a cherry on top of a sundae!!!
When in season, I buy fresh strawberries, but if not, I but a pint size strawberry carton found in the freezer section of grocery stores and microwave to defrost before serving.
Brings back memories OLD and NEW.  This was my favorite breakfast growing up and it makes me so happy that it’s my children’s favorite breakfast, too!  It even trumps donuts!
And this is what it looks like when it’s being enjoyed!

Strawberry Puff Pancakes

¼ cup butter
1 ½ cup milk
1 cup flour*
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
¼ Teaspoon Salt
3 cups Strawberries, cut and toss with a little sugar

Preheat Oven to 425. Melt Butter in 9 inch pie plate in oven. Beat eggs, milk, sugar, flour, salt. Pour mixture into hot pie plate. Bake 20 minutes or until brown. Spoon Strawberries into the center of the pancake. Serve with brown sugar, sour cream, syrup.

*I used to use 3/4 cup of flour, but thickening it a bit helps keep my boys full longer so now I add 1 cup of flour and prefer it this way!

Comments

21 Responses to “Strawberry Puffed Pancakes”
  1. I am a wreck also! I’m usually very prepared and I’m not EVEN close to being ready this year…. EEEK! Good luck on your PJ adventure. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for three matching pairs in the exact sizes you need :) I LOVE those puffed pancakes. I usually make mine in a big cake pan but the pie pan makes them look very pretty! I’m totally making these this year!

2. I wanted matching jammies for all of us- hubs, me and Merritt. I finally succeeded! Whew…what a relief. Now, what to get my mother in law?? That’s my newest stress.

Kelley from The Grant Life shared this recipe several weeks ago (she called them Finnish Pancakes) and I made them that night for dinner. They are SO yummy!! Yours look way prettier than mine turned out, though. Of course! Everything you touch is beautiful!! :)

Good luck with the jammie hunt!! I’m sure you’ll find something! Don’t stress :)

3. HI THERE! says:

My kids would LOVE those Santa pancakes! Might have to whip those up if time allows! Holiday wishes to you and your family!
    Jenn ;)

4. The puff pancakes are what we call finnish pancakes! So delicious! I make them almost once a week :)

5. Shabby chic Sandy says:

The first pancakes remind me of the German pancakes we make. My kids love them too, as do I. Your post has made me hungrey for them!

6. veghotpot says:

mmm both of those breakfasts look really scrummy :) I bet the kids LOVE them!

7. mjskit says:

Fun with pancakes! Love the Santa! Two tasty looking breakfasts. It’s going to be hard to decide which one to make first.

8. Denyse@Crazy Beautiful Life says:

Thanks for sharing this at my “Anything Holiday” linky party…they look so yum!! Not something I should be looking at when I’m sitting her hungry!! LOL

9. ericapangle says:

I made the Santa pancakes this morning, BIG hit with my kids! :) Going to try the puffed pancakes soon as well. Thank you for sharing your great ideas!!!

10. Jamie says:

These all look so good! Beautiful photos, too. Following! :)

11. kelly says:

The santa pancakes are so cute. I don’t know about the kids squealing with delight, I think I would be!

Merry Christmas

Kelly

12. Hi, Aimee. I saw your puffed pancakes over at Midweek Fiesta. They look so delicious and I can’t wait to try them! Thank you for the idea.

13. Bree says:

I made the puffed pancakes this morning and it was a big hit! I served it two ways – warmed raspberry jam and warmed chunky applesauce. I loved it both ways! Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe!

14. WHATEVER! That sounds FABULOUS!!! Thanks SO MUCH for your sweet note!! I’m BLESSED to have you as my bloggy friend!!!

XO, Aimee

15. Anonymous says:

Can these be frozen or refrigerated by any chance?

16. Hahahaha! Kati…you made my day!!! Thanks SO MUCH for your sweet note! XO, Aimee

17. Thistle says:

Those pancakes look like so much fun! And the Santa is so cute!

Thank you so much for linking up!

Have a blessed and totally awesome Christmas!
    karianne

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. Copycat Breakfast Dishes We Love | RecipeLionBlog says:

[...] For more great breakfast recipes we love, be sure to check these out: 5 Minute Breakfast Recipe from Premeditated Leftovers 8 Delectable Ways to Add Berries to Breakfast Recipes from RecipeBridge Strawberry Puffed Pancakes from It’s Overflowing [...]

2. Yummy Warm Apple Topping Recipe says:

[...] brought it fresh to my mind.  On Little B’s birthday morning, just as I’d placed my Strawberry Puff Pancakes into the oven, I realized I was out of Strawberries.  Oops!  I attempted recreating my yummy warm [...]

3. […] something that I look forward to.  I think this year we will make some of these pancakes up fromIt’s Overflowing. In the evening, we will be at my parents’ house for the night and the boys will put on […]