12/22/11

Simple Canvas Print Tutorial

Everyone has a certain someone that is hard to find the perfect gift for because they have everything.  What do you do then!!?!  Well, when you’re talking grandparents, pictures, of course!!!

I bought a package of the very thin blank canvases for next to nothing from Michaels.  I think it was 3 for $5.00!?!  Something in that range.  I’m forgetting now because this was one of the crafts I’d bought for at the end of November, but am just getting to it.  Better late than never, right!

My canvases are 8×10 and so is the picture, but the picture needed a bit of trimming.  Not a science to it, just took 1/8″ off of each side until there was a slight border of white canvas when the picture was laid down.  That thin border will allow the mod podge to have a good hold on the picture preventing the picture from rolling up at a corner.

I took my mod podge {yes, this is the second craft in the row using mod podge ~ did you see my Simple Monogram Ornament {Potterybarn Inspired}.  Love that too!  When I was first married I made a collection of Guy Buffet canvas art from a calendar, plywood, burlap and mod podge.  Pretty much since then I’ve had a thing for mod podge!  It really gives an expensive look for next to nothing!  And the crafts with it are endless!

I layered the white canvas with mod podge, then layered the back of the photo with mod podge and layed the mod podge surfaces together.  Next, I let the glue dry a bit.  Then I took a paint brush and covered the picture itself with strokes of mod podge.  {I may explore my design of the mod podge texture even more next time}.  I used a blow dryer on low/warm settings and sped the drying time up a bit.

I LOVE it!  Because I chose the thin canvas, just a simple frame without the glass and it’s ready to be gifted!  My parents {no peeking mom and dad} have a “black framed artwork” house so I’ll switch it out to a different frame, wrap it and tie a bow and it’s ready to be a gift that keeps on giving throughout the year.

And I took a picture with flash so you could see the texture a bit more.  In person its a nice soft subtle touch.  As if I took out my brush and paints and went to town.  Although that probably wouldn’t have had quite as pretty of a “after” picture had I done that!!!  One day I’ll pursue my inner voice that’s been telling me for years to take up painting.  But not just yet!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. felicia says:

i love this! i have been wanting to try it for ages. i have that cream colored vase in your last pic – I thrifted it the other day, love it!

• Lucky you finding the vase while thrifting! I use it all the time! And YAY…glad you stopped by! I love my canvas so much, it was so easy to do and lasts forever! Happy crafting! XO, Aimee

2. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Cris…I used photo paper. My texture was from the brush strokes. It looks fabulous! If you try it with wax paper, would you stop back by and let me know?!! I’m so intrigued!!! XO, Aimee

3. A Lived in Home says:

What a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial! I love picture canvases!

4. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds says:

Congratulations on being featured today on Blackberry Vine. She made a great choice!

5. Little Bit says:

very nice! thanks for sharing. Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

6. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here says:

What a great idea! This is something I will be trying soon. Thanks for linking to the open House Party and Happy New Years.
    xo,
    Sherry

7. You did a beautiful job and what a great tutorial! You’re being featured at this week’s party. Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again this week 🙂

8. mrshinesclass says:

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. I’m inspired!

Sharon

9. Lisa says:

Aimee-I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I haven’t been on here lately and just saw you are having a “party”. Not even totally sure what that means =), but I hope to browse around more soon! Merry Christmas to all of you! Loved your Christmas card! Anna Grace loved reading your hubbie’s letter. I heard her laughing a few times as she read it! =)

10. Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com says:

@Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage LivingIt worked perfectly! I used a generous amount of modpodge and brushed lightly. The color stayed perfect!!!

XO, Aimee

11. Nat and Holly says:

Aimee, this is a great project! I was cleaning out my craft room today and found 2 of those thin canvases 🙂 Now, I know exactly what to do with them! Thank you!!!

12. meredith olsen says:

I just stumbled upon your blog today and have been on it for about 2+ hours now – i LOVE it. Definitely trying your Anthropologie-inspired snow-globes today 🙂 Thanks for everything you post and share on… it’s wonderful. I posted some of your pictures on my blog, so come check them out 🙂 🙂 http://www.mereditholsendesign/blogspot.com

13. Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com says:

@Emily @ 52 MantelsYes! Regular photo that was printed at Walgreens with a Shiny Finish. {I’m not a big fan of SHINY photos so this was a great fix!} Merry Christmas Emily!

14. Emily @ 52 Mantels says:

Love this, Aimee!! Quick question- is this printed on photo paper or regular printer paper? I’ve seen various versions of this on regular, but never photo paper. I may have to try this ASAP!

So creative and lovely, as always!!

15. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com says:

Ohhhh.. what a great idea!! It makes me nervous to put modge podge over the top of photo but it came out great! Im going to put this on my list of gift ideas 🙂

16. This is so nice! Love this photo of your children…so unique! xo