01/09/12

Family Room {New Rug}

I vented to a few of my closest friends on twitter, that while my sweet B’s were with their grandparents I ordered a HUGE package!  {Are we twitter friends, yet?}  I waited SEVEN long days for the extremely large package to arrive.  And when it arrived, the package was way smaller than I had expected, like half the size.  I almost refused the package on the spot, thinking there had to be some sort of an error, but you know how it is, curiosity totally got the better of me!!!  I just couldn’t let it go back without at least trying.

This is how our home is looking after a little manual labor and a whole lot of love.  Check our more of our DIY projects, like our wall demo, fireplace painting which also mentions our paint colors.

I loved how everything was coming along, and my hardwood floors totally exceeded my expectations!  However, this was my view from my desk, and I did notice a couple times {or more}, that the carpet we brought from our Two-Story House, was going to need to be shuffled to another room in the house.  It was functional, but with wall to wall hardwood floors throughout the house, I had my eyes on the lookout for a larger rug.  Our family room in the Two-Story house was about 18×14 and our ranch-style home’s family room is 24×16.  Definitely a bigger space.  SUPER large area rugs are crazy expensive though, and we’re still in the build up stage of business with Stud’s job, so I tried real hard not to think about it too much.

The other night I told you all about what I did while my sweet B’s were at their grandparents for a week.  You can catch up here.  I had too much time on my hands which led me to realize that the dining room’s rug was off kilter an inch or so.  It needed to moved over a bit.  Moving the rug over a bit made it obvious that I needed to roll up and vacuum underneath all my rugs.

Moving the rugs over got me to thinking and before long I was “trying” the 8×10 rug in the front room, just to see if that room would be able to carry that much carpet.  Guess what…It was a perfect fit!  So perfect, I couldn’t move it out.  I really tried, but it just was meant to be and I couldn’t disturb fate!  Not only that, the area rug that had been in the front room made itself right at home in the boy’s room and they play on the floor non-stop I had been dying to get a rug for them!  The 5×8 rug had found a new home and it wasn’t budging either.

Unfortunately, my sweet stud has a little foot injury from his high school baseball days.  Walking barefoot on hard surfaces totally hurts!  And the sweet wife that I am, I wanted to make sure that my stud had a comfy family room!  I knew I wanted a monochromatic look and something geometric.  And I didn’t want to settle for anything less than 10×14 in size!  I’m usually a strategic shopper for household items, this time, no different.  I got online and checked every rug discount and liquidator company that exists for the size I needed {which was a bit of a challenge, especially when I was hoping it would be under $700!  Two hours later, it dawned on me, duh, Overstock!  And there it was waiting for me!  Yes, even under what I had hoped!  A quick call to Stud and a click of the mouse and it was on the way!  I totally thought that it would take me a month to find the right rug, but as soon as I saw it, I knew!
  Here it is!!!

The kids were riding bikes up and down the street and as the UPS truck drove by our home as it does every afternoon, I just knew that this time it was parking at our house for a bit!  I could hardly stand it I was so excited and as he went to the back to find my package I obnoxiously asked if he needed help carrying it.  I was anticipating a rug that would far surpass me in height!  I was so shocked to find a rug shorter than I and at that point decided that Overstock has messed up my order.

As I anxiously opened the rug my sweet B’s had a blast using it as a hurdle!

And while I sat and contemplated, they grabbed the scissors and started unwrapping the rug and stretching it out for my review.  They’re so sweet to always get excited, even with home decor stuff!

The reason the rug was not in a large package when it arrived, was it wasn’t the plush variety I’d always owned, it was a 100% wool rug, but a totally different style.  It was able to be folded in half and rolled up during shipping.  I just didn’t know how I felt about it for a day or two.  I just had to think on it.

And as I thought on it, I watched it move all over the place and realizing I am slightly type A, I wondered if I needed to send the rug back.  The decision was tough, because, I totally loved it!  It had the style that I totally had pictured all along and I knew the price was unreal.  Stud ran to Walmart the night we received the rug and bought some rug tape.  We tried it.  Failed miserably.

Finally, the weekend arrived, aka, my shopping time!  Baby B and I ran to HomeGoods and found a rug mat for next to nothing compared to all the online prices I’d seen {we grabbed a few other things, too}.  I’ve always used these in the past, I don’t know why I thought I’d try without this time.  Stud helped me move the furniture once again and spread out the rug gripper and then cover it with the rug.  I’m serious, this rug became my best friend instantly!  My sweet B’s ran at full speed and slid onto their knees on it, like {they like to do that} and the rug didn’t budge.
So with that extremely long introduction, I want to introduce you to my newest addition, my SUPER FUN rug!  I love it so much and totally hope my bloggy friends do, too!  Do you!?!

There’s so much room for my sweet B’s to stretch out on the carpet and play a game or play cars!  Proportion is such a big deal for me and this just really works!  I love the brightness that it adds to the room, too!  And I’m excited to see the direction that it leads me as I decorate this Spring!!!

I’m back to being totally excited about my huge purchase!!!  And, to those sweet friends that LOVED my recycled old fence boards art, I’ll give you the scoop on my after-Christmas mantle tomorrow.  A few of my friends asked to see the whole mantle when they saw my new Flower Vase {anthropologie inspired}.  That made my day that you like knowing the details in my life!  I love you sweet bloggy bestie friends!

Here’s a look once more at what it looked like with the old rug.

Funny thing, I received a text from my sweet mother-in-law as soon as I posted my vase and she wanted a full mantle picture, too.  {Remember she’s my best design buddy and probably your quietest bloggy follower, I shared a few of her house pics over Christmas here.}

I’m so excited to share my mantle with you because I dug through my “random” closet and found everything I needed!  I love it when things I have at the house can be repurposed!!!  Crossing my fingers, you, my friends, like it too!!!  Until then, tell me what you have on your mantle.  Do you Redecorate the Mantle for January in it’s own style!?!  Do you move right into Valentine’s Day?!? Or are you still enjoying your Christmas Mantle!?!?  I’ll be checking my comments for sure!!!

{Click here to see how my mantle turned out.}

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this site. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my very own blog now 😉

2. I love your living room! That rug is perfect! Where did you get your side tables!?! I really like those and think they would fit in our living room too! 🙂

3. Christa says:

Love the new rug. The colors are great in there. Makes it look so calming. I also like the storage ottoman you have. Where did you get that. I like the natural element it brings to the room. Great job of decorating! Thanks.

4. Colleen says:

Hi there! We just got the same rug! I love it but our ‘new rug smell’ is overpowering. Did you have this issue and if so, did you need to do anything to address it or did it go away on its own? Thanks! Love all of your ideas!

5. Virgini says:

love all of your tips!Beautiful rug. I’m going to attempt to make the white wreath. thank you for all your helpful tips

6. I love love love your rug…its gorgeous, so glad you found a way to get it to stay in place so you can enjoy it!

7. Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia says:

Your new rug is gorgeous! Love the color!XO
    Kristin

8. Laura from Top This Top That says:

cute story, great rug!

9. Just Jaime says:

Love the new rug!

10. The new rug totally brightens up the living room! I love it!

11. Ruth says:

I love the rug. It looks gorgeous!! It makes a tremendous difference in that room. What a great find.
    Ruth

12. Lori says:

What a great find…love the rug. I’m still trying to figure out how to make a mantle, since I don’t have one…love your blog. Stop by anytime, Lori

13. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here says:

I am so glad you kept the rug! It is beautiful and looks wonderful in your room. xo, Sherry

14. Lisa - A Room with A View says:

A rug makes such a difference in a space and some are “just meant to be” for certain rooms..they look perfect. Your new one is very pretty. I am a new follower..and I look forward to reading posts I have missed.

15. Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} says:

Yep… I’m in LOVE! I’m so glad you kept it! Overstock has some awesome deals on rugs and really great selections. Ok Ok… I’m totally jealous right now 😉 Oh and your living is so beautiful! I love your couches!

16. A Lived in Home says:

I do love the rug! It really brightens the space!

17. Cindy says:

Your rug is gorgeous! I love the color, the pattern and the size.
    I redecorate my mantel in Jan., but not with hearts, just pretty.
    Hugs, Cindy

18. Jordan@the2seasons says:

I love your new rug. The colors, the design everything it is beautiful. It would work perfect in my living room! Too bad I just bought a rug for that area not that long ago. Enjoy your new purchase.

19. Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR says:

Aimee, that rug was destined to be yours! I love the pattern and color, with your decor. Great find!

20. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

Love the new rug. Yes, a dhurrie is not plush, but that color and design is gorgeous. I order all my rugs from Overstock. Such great prices and free to low shipping.

21. Ellie says:

Seriously, Aimee, I’m trying so hard to be happy for you, but really I’m insanely jealous. Your living room is perfection. It’s beautiful, cozy, warm and happy, colorful yet calm… Can I move in? Really, I’m not a crazy! 🙂

22. Brooke @ Spruce Your Nest says:

I absolutely love it! I also love that coffee table of yours 🙂

23. the cape on the corner says:

that is a fabulous rug, and i’m glad you found a solution for it. that is still too pricey for me, especially when my cat thinks she can use it as a scratching mat. ugh!

24. Maury says:

The rug is gorgeous! I love the color against the hardwoods! My January mantle is always dedicated to our wedding anniversary, which is this month. But I keep it super simple. After the clutter of Christmas, I like as little on the mantle and shelves as possible.

25. Cranberry Morning says:

That rug looks great! Even the more substantial rugs we have on the floor we have to use those grippy rug mats, otherwise they slide around on the hardwood floor. Also am loving that leather sofa! My hubby tells me we are not getting leather as long as we have dogs and cats. 🙁 I guess I will live life without a leather sofa, but I will enjoy looking at yours. 🙂

26. Heidi @ Decor & More says:

It’s delish, Aimee!! Love the blues with your browns– very fresh. Gotta love Overstock. 🙂

27. Heidi @ Decor & More says:

28. I have never seen a thin rug before, I would have been surprised too. I love how it looks, the colour is perfect.

29. E @ Act Fast Chef says:

Love it! It looks awesome 🙂

30. Ann Vallotton says:

Yes I do! Love love love the rug!

31. Shabby chic Sandy says:

Love the rug! looks great

32. Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate says:

Just gorgeous! I love it!

33. Emily @ 52 Mantels says:

Oh, Aimee, I totally love the rug!! I’ve been needing a rug for my family room for-ever, but I haven’t found “the one” yet. I stalk overstock but it just hasn’t happened for me. I’m so glad you had better luck!!! It totally makes that space!

And, you already know my answer to your mantel question!! 🙂

34. Tonya says:

Totally loving the rug! It’s beautiful! I’m wanting something similar with similar colors too! Great find! And as far as the mantel goes, mine is totally bare right now. Just got all of the Christmas stuff off a couple days ago & trying to decide what to do with it! Maybe Valentine’s Day decor?! I don’t usually decorate for Valentine’s Day, but maybe this year I will! 🙂

35. Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia says:

Love the new rug, it looks fabulous against those beautiful dark floors!
    XO