My Ranch Home Tour {Progress}

January 17, 2012 by 59 Comments

Ready for another Dreamy Dwelling Home Tour!?!   I’m excited for you to join me on My Ranch Home Tour.  A little over a year ago, we left our comfy, settled two story home ready for a new challenge in an older neighborhood with tons of trees and homes with character!  After eight months of waiting to finally have an offer on our two story house.  On the very same day, Stud stumbled upon this home as the owner was hammering the for sale by owner sign into the lawn.  Stud walked through the home and a bit later, I checked it out, too.  Despite the economy, homes in this neighborhood don’t stay on the market for long.  All the details came together and about a month later, this was our new super old and super ugly home, what we prefer to call a home full of character!

Curb Appeal

Or lack there of, hopefully this Spring we can make some major progress.

Entry

We switched out the front door, door knobs throughout, the light fixture and painted the hallway doors to brighten and update this entry.  We have plans to put a coat rack of some sort behind the door and get an entry table and mirror somewhere also, to try to utilize this little space better.

Replacing the Front Door

Formal Rooms

Underneath the carpet throughout the house was original hardwood floors that had never been used before.  We thought this was the biggest treat EVER then we had a huge scare because of humidity issues, thankfully it was an easy fix and after the floors were sanded and stained, we fell in love with our house all over again!  It was our dream to have a one story home with dark stained hardwood floors throughout!  We also painted the chandelier in the dining room which helped to update the look.

Family Room

Both of us totally agreed as soon as we walked through this home that the wall separating the living room and kitchen needed to be torn down!  Removing this wall  and rebuilding this wall opened up this space and brightened the family room MAJORLY!!!  We painted the paneling and fireplace in this room and stud replaced all of the lighting, added recessed lights and moved electrical outlets in this room.  It looks like a totally different house with these awesome updates!  Most recently I added a new rug that I like LOTS!

Kitchen

Painting the kitchen cabinets, building new cabinets, changing hardware, lighting, countertops, window treatments, appliances, flooring, sink and faucet has made a HUGE difference in this room!  I still need to share all the scoop and I will as soon as I have all the finishing touches complete!!  I have tons of tips to share with you sweet friends!!!

Laundry Room

I have huge hopes for this little space.  If only I could find a few more hours each day we would have put those ideas to work by now, but we’ll get here and I’ll be THRILLED to share it when we do!!!

Master Bedroom

I know you are drooling over my closet right there!  LOL!  We’re definitely making some progress in here with paint, window treatments and lighting updates!   I’ll give you all the scoop on this room soon.  There’s a SUPER funny story to go along with it!  Oh my, I’ll just precursor it by admitting I’m a total mess…not in the literal sense, more figuratively.  Promise I’ll explain!

Master Bathroom

This bathroom is definitely the thing dreams are made of…let me tell you!  NOT!  Removing the wallpaper helped {maybe, it’ still so ugly}.  I’m continuously checking pinterest and design magazines for inspiration in here!

Little B’s Room

I totally loved the previous owner’s chairs!  I was crossing my fingers that they’d leave them behind, but no such luck!  As for the room color, you may not be able to tell from this picture, but it glowed!  The rest of the house had peach and pink walls, but this room was a glowing green – even the trim and entire closet!  YUCK!  Paint, lighting and curtain updates helped tremendously, but I still have some ideas…and Little B does too!  We’re still negotiating our ideas!  Hmm…nine year old girls like BRIGHT decor!!!  Any advice for this mom!?!?

The Boys’ Room

The boy’s room came with the perfect spot for Little B to practice her ballet, but this room is twice the size of hers so sadly, she didn’t get a choice here!  The curtains, lighting and paint have been updated.  I’m still trying to figure out what to do with their closets.  I’m not a big fan of sliding doors, but their closets are ummm, well, not super picked up so I definitely need a way to close them!  They’re so rough, it’s okay that they are, right!  I think it’s inevidable when you have two boys eighteen months apart!  I worry about the durability factor were I to put curtains in place of the doors!!?  Hmm, still thinking on this one, too!

Hall Bathroom

I wish I could have a tremendously impressive after to show you for this bathroom, but the extent of  the makeover is I found a shower curtain that had a bit of green in it after Valentine’s Day last year for just over $1 at Target.  Adding touches of green in the shower curtain and a bathroom rug made the boys a tiny bit more okay with having a LOUD PINK bathroom!  Our boys are definitely rooting us on about improving this room!

Backyard

We sit on almost a half an acre and have huge dreams on how to use this space!  Definitely we’ll need to work on landscaping and perhaps brick and/or trim paint!  Still thinking through what we are wanting to do.  The first week I moved in though, I had someone from Craigslist come over and pull the bushes out from around our back patio.  They were excited to replant the shrubs at their home!!!  Hopefully this spring and summer we can make some progress here!  We have a fence to work on and overgrown jasmine in a huge bed under our huge tree.  The bed is wrapped with a metal border that concerns me everytime the kids run around in the backyard {which is all day everyday}!  No worries, yes, we do homeschool and I do keep to a rigorous schedule, but homeschooling does afford us quite a bit of time for outdoor play, aka, time for mommy to regain her thoughts and sometimes find her sanity!

Garage

The garage doors had to be replaced before we could close on the house…the bank insisted.  Sort of risky, but we did this update out of pocket before signing on the line.  The price we were offered was great, we didn’t want to change anything up and have the sellers back out on the offer!  It was night and day seeing the difference updating the garage doors made!  Gave me a glimmer of hope for all the ugliness throughout the rest of the house on closing day!

I’ll continue to update you on our progress!  We are definitely in our element when we are working on projects and we enjoy including our sweet B’s in the process too!  It’s so rewarding to look around and know that 98% of the progress came from the work of our own hands!  It’s awesome seeing our dreams become a reality!

More fabulous House Tours (here).

Comments

59 Responses to “My Ranch Home Tour {Progress}”
  1. Miriam says:

Oh my goodness, that is a heck of a lot of work! They look amazing. Kudos to you for having vision and following through on it. It is a total doll house now!

2. Thanks Josie Mae! I’ve got an itch so bad to get going on it, but we’ll have to wait until we save up a bit more!!! If you see something cute or thrifty in that department, be sure to let me know! You know it needs help desperately!!! XO, Aimee

3. Wow Aimee! You all have been super busy! Your transformations are amazing! You really did a great job. I love how open and airy it feels now. I think my favorite part is your living room & I love your rug too! We totally prefer to do the updates in an older home too. You get everything almost all new and the way you want it to be with the character, who doesn’t love that? Carrie

4. Tonya says:

WOW!! You guys have been working hard!! Everything looks so fresh & beautiful!! LOVE all of the changes!! Can’t wait to see more!

5. You have such great taste Aimee! I love everything you have done.. very beautiful!

6. Lolly Jane says:

Holy toledo that’s a lotta work girl! Keep it up- lookin good :)
    xoxo

7. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

all the changes you have made are fabulous! awesome job, friend!

8. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper says:

all the changes you have made are fabulous! awesome job, friend!

9. Anne says:

You must be so pleased!! I think the scope of the work that needed to be done would have scared me off. You’ve done an amazing job – that kitchen alone, wow! Great job.

xox

10. Bama Girl says:

I love what you are doing in your new home! The decor definitely fits the house and looks so stylish! The neighborhood looks very nice, as well. Keep us informed about your progress! It’s so much fun reading about your home! I also enjoyed your tutorial about the camera. It’s very helpful, even though mine is not the same. Blessings from Bama!

11. Comeca Jones says:

Congrats on all that youve gotten done so far looks great!!!

12. Vicky says:

Wow, the transformation is amazing! How proud you all must be. Love hearing how this all worked out for you. I am a new Twitter follower visiting from Sugar Bee crafts. Vicky from Mess For Less

13. Anonymous says:

Amy & family- I love you and your creativiness with your Stud! You both have done so much it’s so impressive! I still want to see you and catch up sometime soon and see this incredible house in person. Enjoyed the pictures and the progress.
    Hugs- Stephanie T.

14. A.E. says:

You took an old house, and made it beautiful! That’s amazing!

15. What an amazing transformation. You’ve given me hope that one day, I will love my house. We bought our 70s ranch in September, and it has good bones and many possibilities..just need the time to do it :). Thanks for sharing all of the great pictures! Take care.

16. GREAT job on breathing new life into your new home! Discovering that wood floor beneath the carpeting would’ave made me just giddy!!! :) And your painted kitchen cabinets truly make that room look so much larger!

xoxo laurie

17. All of your progress is so amazing! I think we have the same closet sliding doors–ours catch on the rails all the time. W took Abby’s completely off. Can’t wait to see more.

18. What a ton of progress! One day, we’ll sell our tri story and go ranch. I can just FEEL it. Just need to stop working so much so that we can imagine we have the time to renovate. your progress is inspirational.

Bernadette @www.b3hd.blogspot.com

19. Maury Kilgo says:

You’ve done so much in suck a short time! It looks amazing. I love your new door and the family room!

20. diyTRIX says:

Stunning transformation! Love the painted fireplace and those hardwood floors. You’ve really turned it into a lovely home.

21. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday – you were featured today!!
    – Mandy, http://www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

22. One solid week painting, and then a bunch of other little projects that took a few minutes here and a few minutes there! It definitely took time!!! I’m planning on going through all the details as soon as it’s complete! We’re SUPER close!!! Thanks for your SWEET note!!! XO, Aimee

23. Leslie, you make me SMILE! Thanks for your sweet note!!! XO, Aimee

24. Thanks so much Suzanne! I’m so thankful for your kind words!!! Glad you’re one of my party friends, too! LOVE that!!! XO, Aimee

25. Tisha says:

Great updates! When I saw your first photo I thought, “Did she move into my neighborhood?” These photos give me hope for our old rancher. Thanks for sharing!

26. Your home is absolutely dreamy and bright! I love your calming style. I think the bright kitchen is my favorite, but that’s hard to say for sure. You guys have been busy bees!!! I can’t wait to see the laundry room reno :).

Thanks for linking up, friend!!

27. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds says:

The pink boys bathroom is cracking me up! You have a stunning home. One thing I don’t like about ours, is it’s a new build, and was PERFECT with everything we wanted when we moved in. Although, that gives me tons of decorating fun, and not huge projects. I redid our laundry room last summer, and it is truly one of my favorite rooms in our house. I have a link to it on my site….http://myfavoritefinds.blogspot.com/2011/07/laundry-room-redo.html if you want to see it.

28. Titus 2 Work in Progress says:

Wow! You could seriously be a professional interior decorator. Just lovely! Is that slipcovered chair in Little B’s room from Ikea?? I love it and wanted that chair but had to compromise for the hubby and get something else. You have a great eye for potential. I can’t wait to see more updates :)

29. You have an AMAZING home and you’ve done some AWESOME projects! P.S. do you still like your new area rug? lol If not…. you can send it my way ;)

30. So glad you stopped by and said hi! I totally am thinking that route, too! Great minds think alike!!! If you have pics, definitely share!!! XO, Aimee

31. Aimee says:

LOVE your blog! 1) we have the same name and 2) we are dealing with SO many of the same renovation issues! Can’t wait to see more.

32. All of the changes that you have made look fantastic! What a treat to have all of those wood floors! I would love to have you share this at my link party over at rustic crafts – http://rustic-crafts.com/?p=4689

33. redfly says:

Love it Amy! You guys have done such a great job. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Melissa

34. Thanks so much Lindsey! You are SUPER SWEET! We both are totally stylin’ with our fun drapes!!! Thanks for your sweet note about my hearder!!! I’m SO glad you stopped by! Hugs to you sweet friend!!! XO, Aimee

35. Mandy, Those are the original cabinets, we transformed them…I wish there were more hours in a day or I’d already have posted about how I did it. Very soon I’m hoping!!! When are you planning on renovating!??! Are there pics if I click your link!?!? I’m coming over this second to see!!! XO, Aimee

36. Thanks Susan so much for that picture! I love the inspiration! Seriously makes the tile look CUTE! How is that possible! Thanks, too for the ideas for Little B’s room. I think you’re totally right, that’s the best option!!! B&W for my own sanity…and shut the door! LOL! Glad for your sweet comment friend!!!
    XO, Aimee

37. Thanks Ricki! And, um, yeah! I’d totally jump at an offer like that, too!!! Just in case anyone reading is interested. LOL!

38. Thanks Amy!!! I’m excited for those pics eventually!!!
    XO, Aimee

39. They are from Pier One kids. Why did they have to go out of business!?!? I loved that store LOTS!!! XO, Aimee

40. You are doing a great job of renovating your home! It’s absolutely beautiful!

Sharon

41. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says:

Amazing- what a gorgeous home you have!!! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

42. Charity says:

You’ve done such a great job!!! Everything looks great! We bought a 60 yr old fixer-upper 4 yrs ago so I completely feel your pain. We finally updated our red bathroom…I mean who thought red shag carpeting in a bathroom was a good idea?!?! Gag! We have a VERY PINK bathroom with plastic iridescent tiles. I call it the sock hop! I just can’t understand that generation of men actually installing pink toilets, tubs & sinks…cracks me up!

43. Rodger Ciliberto says:

The renovation of your new ranch home is coming along smoothly! I think it was a great idea to strip the carpets out. They do tend to make rooms warmer because the fabrics absorb heat. Those hardwood floors look amazing anyway, and are a great improvement to the entire house. All your repainting is really brightening up the rooms; you’re choosing the best color combinations to make your home look welcoming and cozy. Also, you’ve got a pretty big yard there! Maybe putting a little something out there for the kids will encourage them to spend some time outdoors and get some fresh air. Thanks for the tour of your home, and good luck with the rest of your renovations! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

44. Caroline says:

Hi Aimee!

I just fell onto your site when perusing home reno images…I don’t normally write to people on these sites, but the resemblance of your new home to ours is uncanny!
    The difference only lays in the years our homes were built…mine was built in 1988 and has a living space of 3,100 sq. ft….that being said, it has been let go for the past 4 years…one of the similarities of our homes is the cupping in the wood floors, for the same reasons as yours…the huge beasts of bushes in front of the house!!!…Hideous vinyl flooring in kitchen, but fabulous oak cabinets that can easily be re stained…etc…
    I am looking forward to photos of your laundry room, as I also have one similar to yours! Etc, Etc…
    All this is to say thank you….thank you for having similar tastes to mine and giving me hope and confidence to move on with my project…even though it’s too late to back out now ;) LOLOLOLOL
    We only take possession of the house in January 2012, so be prepared to be bombarded with questions by me ;)

I can’t seem to post a picture of the house for u to see :(

Thanks again!
    Caroline

• Aimee says:

I’m so happy you stumbled on my blog…so excited for all the possibilities with your new home! Maybe you can post on my FB page!?! Or email me! Ask away!!! XO, Aimee

45. Aimee, Your house is so wonderful! You guys have done a great job making it your home. So inspiring! xo Kristin

46. I love the before and after! We have an 70’s ranch that has “great bones” and can’t wait to make it our own! We also homeschool! Glad to find more like minded people!

47. Ann says:

Nice touches. My husband will never paint brick. Oh well! Keep it up. We have been working on our rancher for 20 years–there is always a project .

• Bill Wilson says:

You don’t want to paint brick unless it’s an ugly color or has a colored glazing that’s weathering away. I’ve painted the brick on countless homes over the past 35 years and it’ll hold up fine if done properly. You’ll need to have the brick cleaned first then a coat of masonry conditioner before applying two top coats of premium paint. I’m in Texas so most folks go with white or something light on color so the masonry absorbs less heat. The lighter colors don’t fade as much as darker colors so they look presentable longer plus makes the house appear larger.

48. Jackie G says:

Thank you for this post. We just signed a contract on a similar 1443 sq ft. 1976 ranch in Jackson, TN.

We weren’t blessed with those beautiful hardwood floors or kitchen cabinets without soffits. We did get the paneling in the kitchen/dining/family area. The formal living room is separated. Both baths have banana yellow tile with white marble countertops and vinyl floors.

Our two previous homes were new construction. The 1st was a 1062 sq ft cookie cutter surrounded by dozens more just like it. Our most recent home was 2700 sq ft custom built with hardwood, travertine, crown moldings, and every other fancy you could get. I thought it was my dream home. It turned out to be a 3rd full time job to maintain/clean when 2 kids and 3 dogs in the house.

We are going back to the simple life with what I call “That 70s House.” I’m going to keep the banana yellow tile but hope to update the vanities to counter height. The carpet and vinyl floors are from the early 80s -mauve carpet in the living room. We are considering the wood look tile in the kitchen/family room and carpet in the bedrooms. We’d like to replace the paneling with Sheetrock but it is in the kitchen too. We are debating the expense of a complete kitchen remod.

I love everything you’ve done so far. I’ll be following your progress!

With love from TN,
    Jackie

49. Amy says:

What paint did you use on your walls? I’m trying to find a nice shade of lime green but they all seem to run toward mint…

Thanks!

• Aimee says:

The walls are actually Eloquent Ivory — no green at all, but in the pics they may have picked up a bit of green! Good luck on your search for the perfect shade of green! XO, Aimee

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...