Photography Friday 1 {Introduction}

January 6, 2012 by 288 Comments

Digital Photography
{Introduction}

I’m so excited to begin our Photography Course with you, my friends!!!  When you first hold your Digital SLR camera, it’s a mix of all kinds of emotions!  You’ve seen the potential of SLR photography all over bloggy world, but along with potential comes a whole lot of options…aka, buttons!  We’ll take our learning nice and slow and before long our friends will be counting on each of us to bring our cameras along to capture all those special moments!

As you probably know, my hubby, aka, Stud is a great photographer and understands all the ins and outs.  I’m a homeschool mommy, in the process of learning to be a great photographer along with you.  Let’s see how gifted I am at teaching what I’ve learned so far, shall we!?!  With my kids, it may be a good 18+ years before I know how successful I was at teaching, but I’m seriously hoping it won’t take that long for each of you to learn some simple tips and become great photographers!!

Have you ever been at a huge party and not known another soul in the room!??!  Totally intimidating at first, right!!!  Once you get up the nerve to stand with a chatty group, you relax just a bit, slowly you allow yourself to open up and by the time you leave you’re giving each of your new girlfriends a hug good-bye and making plans for the next girl’s night out!  That’s just how it works in life, right!  Insecurities are quick to take over, but once we relax and decide to engage, life is full of great rewards!  So here we go, take a deep breath and let’s start by getting over our intimidation of all these buttons! {My sweet hubby laughs at me when I get this way because his perspective is the more buttons the better!}  LOL.

Okay, remember, take a deep breath.  We’re only “walking up to the chatty group” you don’t have to know or say a thing, just try to smile, have fun and engage.  We’ll take steps towards being bestest friends ever with our camera as time goes on!!!  This is my Nikon camera with the parts labeled.  These same features are found on all SLRs.  You may have to look around a bit to figure out exactly where.  I will give you the rest of the week to find each of these buttons so that when I mention them in the future you’ll have a general idea where to go.

{EASY TUTORIALS} Get Your SLR Camera off Auto!

I’m assuming everyone knows the very basics: auto mode on the dial, built in flash, shutter release, playback and delete.  And if you’ve explored a bit you know there are a lot of options under menu as well.  I know some of you are dying here saying, yes, yes, we know this and others are saying, she said to keep breathing.  I’m going to give you a little overview of what to expect from our weekly photography courses and then I will continue with more next week, once everyone has a chance to figure out where to find these labeled parts on their camera.  I don’t want to leave anyone behind, because this is such fun stuff to understand!
Here’s a little preview on what we’ll be learning next.   Below is a diagram known as the exposure triangle.  The single most important aspect of photography is exposure {the amount of light reaching your camera’s sensor when you take a picture}.  Exposure is adjusted by three things: ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture.   All digital cameras have an image sensor allowing you to adjust your settings to allow more or less light in depending on the lighting where you are photographing.  As we learn each aspect of exposure we will begin to set our cameras on the manual settings and impress ourselves with the results.  I’ll try to keep the words simple and the learning practical.  Sometimes when my photographer gets to talking he goes too fast and I get flustered, I’ll slow him down during those moments so I can be sure to relay the information clearly and effectively to you!  I’m so excited about this series and hope to see you back each Friday for a little more learning and application!!!  In the comments section below let me know your name and what camera you’ll be shooting with so I can try and help everyone LOTS!  And it’s just plain fun picturing your pretty face then the flat screen I’m staring at right now!!!

If you’re still following along, but haven’t bought a DSLR yet, let me recommend a couple for you to consider.  Our first DSLR was the Nikon D40 and we’ve had it for five and a half years have taken over 75,000 shots and it still is a fabulous camera.   We upgraded two years ago after reading a ton of reviews and chose the Nikon D90.  This camera has performed perfectly for us as well.  At the time we bought it, Nikon was on the cusp of developing new technology.  We were weary of being a part of the trial period.  The new technology in Nikon has been tried and proven great and the Nikon D5100 would be a great, just over entry-level camera, we’d seriously consider it if we were in the market.  Canon, of course makes great camera’s, too.  We have friends with both the Canon EOS Rebel T2i and the Cannon EOS 5D Mark II and they are incredibly great cameras if you’re wanting to go that direction. I put some links below the next paragraph if you want to go to amazon directly and check it out.

My photographer’s dream camera is the Nikon D3S priced at just over $5000.  Maybe someday sweetie!!!  Crossing my fingers, he and each of you have a SUPER successful 2012!  Here’s a link to Tons More Cameras to Explore!  I’m an affiliate so if that makes you uncomfortable, pretty please feel free to shop around for better deals.  Sadly, it would take several thousand camera purchases for us to have a tenth of the amount we need for the “dream camera,” but every penny helps, right!  LOL!  That reminds me, in junior high, some of my friends were running on the high school track and when we finished, it wasn’t time to get picked up yet so we walked around the high school parking lot and ended up stumbling on six dollars in coins.  I’m wondering if kids these days would even find a quarter, everyone has gone plastic now, including me!  I know, random.  I’ll be expecting you next Friday for the next little lesson!!!  Until then, have a good weekend {I think I’ll be stopping back by tomorrow…so many great things to share, I can’t keep away}!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bloggy friends!!!  {I am an Amazon Affiliate}.

Link to: Photography Course 2 {Aperture}

Comments

288 Responses to “Photography Friday 1 {Introduction}”
  1. Daenel,
    One of my sisters has the D3100 and totally loves it!!! Great camera! Excited about this series, too! I think photography is something that we can always improve on and that makes it a fun lifetime hobby!!! Glad you’re following along and LOVE that you left me a sweet note!!! I think we may be Besties already!!!

XO, Aimee

2. Simone says:

What a great idea! I have had my Nikon for a year now and have not taken the time to really explore all its functions. Thanks for the tutorials, inspires me to explore further!!!

3. Katie, my hubby read’s Chase Jarvis’ blog all the time. Very cool advancements! I’m so curious how long it will be before we can afford it!??! Really makes sense to me! What do you think!! It’s amazing to me how much photography has changed already in my lifetime!!!

XO, Aimee

4. Dani and Simone! So excited to be learning with you!!! XO, Aimee

5. Absolutely Gayle!!! Which camera do you shoot have!?!? XO, Aimee

6. Kat and Kathy…We should all try and take the best picture possible of something right now and then at the end of our “lessons” retake the same shot and see if there’s a big difference, don’t you think!!! Glad we’re all going to learn together. I’m totally with you Kat, plain english pretty please!!!

XO, Aimee

7. Katie, the D5000 is great! Glad to have you!!! XO, Aimee

8. Oh I dream of a camera like this, mine is crap, and I cannot get a good picture:( I will one day:) I love reading this.

9. This is going to be so fun!

XO, Aimee

10. Anonymous says:

I have a Canon T2i. Very excited to learn more.

11. I’m a Nikon fan too! I share the D200 with my husband. We’ve had it for almost 6 years now and love it! Of course we would like to upgrade or each have our own but for now I am happy with with we have!

12. debbie refresh restyle says:

Aimee, I so need this! and I need/want a new camera! Thanks, debbie

13. Shabby chic Sandy says:

Love this–I used to teach a photography class for scrapbookers years ago but we all need to be refreshed. I use a Canon Rebel XT that i have had for many years. I used to use a film camera (remember those days?) that was a Nikon and I loved it. I think Nikon makes better glass. But I love my Canon and it works for what I need it to. Thanks for doing these photography posts!

14. Bama Girl says:

Aimee, Thanks for sharing this information with us! I am just now getting more familiar with my Fuji Finepix camera. It is similar to the one you show and makes really nice pictures. It may not be the best camera or the most expensive, but it’s what I’ve got. I’m looking forward to more tutorials on using our cameras! Thanks for inspiring us! Have a nice weekend! Blessings from Bama!

15. Thanks for joining the linky party and glad you added this post.

I bought the Nikon D3100 before Xmas and only know how to use the auto focus! Look forward to the course. Good idea!

16. KJ says:

I just found this on Pinterest! I just got the Canon Rebel T3 and have been experimenting like crazy! Can’t wait to follow along and have fun learning!

17. Kaie says:

My husband got me a Canon T3i this summer and I haven’t had time. So glad to stumble upon this. I feel the same way about homeschooling by the way…results take so long. Maybe that’s the part I like about taking pictures= instant results.

18. So exited to meet many of you!!! Sherry, thanks for pinning this and inviting others along!!! I can’t hardly believe it how excited I am for all of you with the new cameras! WHATEVER!!! You’ve totally stepped into a new obsession! I think we are going to have TONS of FUN together!!! Wish we could do a little group hug right now and a few squeals of excitement!!! I love that I get to tell you all about how to get great shots and can totally leave out the why so it’s simple for all of us to follow as we’re being stretched in a hundred different directions!!! You are seriously the best AND have completely spoiled me with all your sweet notes!!! XO, Aimee

19. Anonymous says:

Looking forward to your class. Canon…all the best, LMarolf

20. Anonymous says:

So excited I found out about this class today. Thank you so much for doing this!! I will be using a Nikon D60 camera.

Alisha

21. Sarah says:

I will stay tuned, just got a new Canon Rebel T3! LOVE it, and I only use the basic features. Can’t wait to use all the other functions – bring it on!!!

22. ~Tablescapes By Diane~ says:

Hi lovely lady.
    I just got a Nikon L120 for Christmas. I need to learn how to use it for my Tablescapes. Right now Im using my Canon power shot A1000 !!! I hope I can get some help with my new one…
    XXOO Diane

23. Thanks for spreading the word sweet friends!!! I think it’s going to be so much fun I can hardly stand it!!! We’re going to need to put a portfolio together of all our achievements when all is said and done!!! Be studying up the parts to the camera so you are trekking with me at our next lesson!!! {That will help keep it more fun, right.}

XO, Aimee

24. Theresa says:

I will most certainly be following these classes. Thank you so much for sharing.

Blessings,
    Theresa

25. Rupa says:

I have been dreaming and shopping of buying a DSLR for while now. I just happened to stumble upon your site somewhere from graphicsfairy site to Freeprettythingsforyou site to yours! Your tutorial is awesome and I am so glad I found it. It’s easy to understand and I think you WILL be a great teacher. Can’t wait to see the rest of the tuts.

26. Our Delightful Home says:

Thank you for sharing!

~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

27. Artsy VaVa says:

I’m excited for the course! Thanks for the tips!!!

28. Oh what a fun little series! I dont have a DSLR but I have Nikons coolpix P100. It has A LOT of options that I’m totally not familiar with. I’ve seen the awesome pictures its capable of taking… I just have NO IDEA how to take them! Maybe I’ll learn a few things even though its not a DSLR?

29. Audrey says:

Aimee I just happened upon your blog and I am soooo happy I found you!! A friend and I have been thinking of starting our own blogs this year and we are super beginner level but we know we need an slr to get the best pics for our blogs. I was considering buying a Nikon D3100. Is that a good beginner camera or is there a better one that you can suggest?

30. Audrey, How VERY Fun! I’m excited that you and your friend are going to start blogging, definitely let me know when you do, okay!!! I can’t wait!! My thoughts on the D3100 are it’s GREAT! One of my sisters has it and loves it to pieces and the reviews are real good!!! I think you’ll be SUPER happy with it and have no regrets!!! That’s my personal opinion at least (and my sweet hubby totally agrees)!

XO, Aimee

31. Meghan says:

I stumbled upon your blog from Pinterest and I’m so happy I found it! I got a Cannon Rebel T3i for Christmas that I know nothing about!

32. Audrey says:

Thanks, so much, Aimee for your prompt response! I am looking forward to your Friday classes. I just ordered my Nikon D3100 from Amazon and it should arrive by Monday so I’ll be a little behind in the lessons but I’ll refer back to them and, hopefully, catch up. I am looking forward to becoming a fellow blogger later this year (and friend, hopefully, sooner!) I’m just trying to learn as much as possible first. Wish me luck!

33. First time visitor…..great blog!!

34. Titus 2 Work in Progress says:

I’m wanting a DSLR but trying to justify the price. Sooo expensive :-

35. I am so excited to join along!
    I have a Nikon D5100 and can’t wait to learn how to use it.

36. I just found your blog and I am so excited to follow along!

I just got a Nikon D5100 and love it and can’t wait to really learn how to use it.

37. Sharon says:

I appreciate this idea! I have a great Nikon 3100 and have been really lucky with shot,s but need help with manual settings! I really want to learn how to use my camera well.

Many of my pictures are at dexterdays-sdk.blogspot.com.

Looking forward to Fridays!

38. Soooo excited! Got a Canon Rebel for Christmas and LOOOOVE it! Thanks for teaching me how to use it!

39. I will be following along too~a blog GF just sent me your blog tute on this class! Thanks so much for doing this~I got a Canon Rebel for Christmas and have been obsessing on the how tos….

40. asuslp says:

I just found your blog by following a link on Whipperberry’s blog, which I found from a link on eighteen25’s blog, which I found from some other blog several months ago. It is truly amazing how easily I can get lost hopping from blog to blog!
    I am a school Speech-Language Pathologist turned SAHM to the light of my life, my 15 month old daughter. I have always loved photography, and am never far from my DSLR. I typically shoot in one of the various “creative” modes, but rarely venture into full manual. I really struggle with getting enought LIGHT into my pictures (without using a flash) without having blurred images.
    I have been using a Canon Rebel XTi for the past 5 or so years, but my husband just “upgraded” me to the Canon T3i for Christmas (I’m not sure why…I think he was at a loss for gift ideas this year), which I haven’t even taken out of the box!

41. Anonymous says:

Can’t wait to start!!!!!!

42. Anonymous says:

I am soooo excited! Thank you, thank you!!!

43. Anonymous says:

Got a Cannon T2i for Christmas – cant wait to finally learn to take good pictures (and neither can my teenage kids, who hate my pics)!

44. Excited for your new camera Laura!!! XO, Aimee

45. Jen says:

I found you through a link party too! I’m so excited for the photography tutorials! Ive been trying to figure out our camera since we bought it a year ago. Its not a DSLR , but has tons of similar options so I think I’ll be able to follow along with you. Mine is the Sony DSC-HX1.

46. So excited to meet so many new friends! I’ll stop by and say hi and soon as I get a minute!!! This is going to be so much fun!!! XO, Aimee

47. Anonymous says:

I’m so glad I stumbled upon this great coarse! I know I’m coming in a little late, but I can already tell that I will learn more from you, someone who is learning too, than my photography coarse I took at the Vo-Tech! I’m on my 3rd Canon, I have a Canon T3i now, and have loved them all! I just keep upgrading. I’ve taken some nice pictures, but only by pure luck! I can’t wait to find out how I did it, and how I can duplicate it without so much guessing! Thank you for this coarse!

48. Crystal says:

Holy smokes you have a lot of great comments on this post. Congrats on being the #2 most clicked post on Mommy Solutions last week! This room rocks! If you haven’t linked up anything new, yet, stop in the linky is hoppin’! http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2012/01/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-27/

Thanks for sharing, Crystal.

49. Anonymous says:

I just got the Cannon T3i for Christmas and would love to learn more about it… I have two beautiful boys whom I hope to make into my stars :)

50. Anonymous says:

Hi, I’ve had a DSLR for quite awhile and only know how to do the basics. Excited to see this blog and looking forward to learning more! I have a canon rebel.

51. Colette says:

Hi a friend of mine gave me the link to your blog. I bought a Nikon d3100 a year ago and love it. Looking forward to learning how to do more with it.

52. Michelle says:

I got a new Rebel for my birthday in November and I’m still really slowly learning. I have a friend (in college) who explains my mistakes to me, A LOT.

I look forward to learning with you! You really seem to be breaking this down for us.

53. Renee says:

I’m a little late to the party (just found your blog yesterday), but I’m definitely bookmarking this so I can come back to learn when I have a few minutes. Learning how to use our Pentax is actually one of my goals for this year! I’m so glad to have found your course because you seem to explain things in a down-to-earth, here’s what a busy Mama needs to know, kind of way. I can’t wait to improve my skills and start getting better shots of our day-to-day life.

Poking around the rest of your blog was fun, too! I’ll have to come back more often!

54. Anonymous says:

Sooo happy to have come across this blog. I have a nikon 3100 and cant wait to learn more about it..I have 7 grandchildren and would love to be able to learn how to shoot great picture…Thank u so much!

55. You’re ABSOLUTELY on time!!! Glad you’re here Ashley! Share your pics as you try out the assignments! I’m excited to have you!!! XO, Aimee

56. YIPPEE! It’s like a party!!! SO excited to learn photography with all my new friends! Definitely let me know if you have any questions and I’ll get an answer from my sweet photographer {hubby}. XO, Aimee

57. Melissa, are you meaning that when you’re taking a picture you’d like to see the picture on the screen that you seen through the viewfinder!?!? If that’s what you were hoping for, I don’t think most SLRs offer that. Why!?! I’d have to ask my hubby. But if you mean the pictures that you take ALL turn out black, this is obviously above me and I’ll ask my hubby FOR SURE! XO, Aimee

58. Brandt's Nana says:

I also found you on Pintrest. What a great site. I have a Nikon D5000. I have not ventured past the auto settings.. The instructors at the camera store classes go way to fast, and assume everyone knows what they’re talking about. Not sure if I’m the only one who is lost, but I can’t bring myself to say WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! LOL. My goal is to take awesome pictures of my grandson.

59. Anonymous says:

Hiiii!!! Can you tell me please how can i follow your course? do i have to pay sthg? this is the first time i read your blog!!!
    Thanks!!
    Andrea

60. Andrea, it’s totally free! Start with this post and then follow the links at the bottom of each photography Friday post. There are three so far! This Friday will cover ISO. If you have any questions, definitely leave a note in the comments and we’ll do our best to answer right away!!! Glad you’re here!!!

XO, Aimee

61. Ruby says:

Just found your blog on a friend’s Pinterst and I’m loving the class! I purchased a Nikon D3100 last March and am still in Scene Mode! I have always had a love of photography but never studied anything about it. I never had the money or time while working and raising kids. Retired now at 61 and LOVING my new hobby. I need help deciding what processing to use. I’ve used Picnik but it’s closing. I am considering Photoshop Elements (10)if that’s the newest one or just the regular photoshop. I’m really concerned about the learning curve. Our local vo-tech school is offering a Photoshop class in April thought. What would you recommend?

• YIPPEE! I’m so glad to find you, too! I LOVE Picnik with all my heart and I can’t tell you how sad I am! For the most part I’m trying to live in denial!!! I’ll do a post on options real soon! Thankfully we have a few months!!! It totally chokes me up!!! I keep wondering if maybe Google will relaunch it under their name!?!? Crossing my fingers for that!!! Maybe we should say a little prayer…perhaps a bit more effective!?!? I’ll definitely do a post on it though…and I’m so impressed with you taking on your new hobby! A young soul never stops learning!!! I’m going to follow in your footsteps for sure Ruby!!! It’s the best way!!! Tight Squeeze, Aimee

62. Sunday says:

Oh my word this is SO GREAT. I recently launched my blog and my nice hubby bought be a Sony a35. I LOVE it but, am totally under-using it! I’m so excited to check back (often) but, of course Fridays. Thank you!!!

63. Anonymous says:

I too have discovered you today through Pinterest. Great Blog! I just bought a Nikon D3100. It’s a beginner camera that was recommended to me, I like it so far!Thanks so much for sharing! I’m excited! :)
    Gerri

64. Anonymous says:

I just found you through Pinterest as well, I’m excited to follow along and hope to get more practice using those manual settings. Thanks for sharing – using a Nikon D50.
    -*- Mama B

65. Anonymous says:

I’m another one who has just found you through Pinterest wanderings. I’ve had a Canon 7D for nearly 3 years, and really want to venture more away from Auto. I got a tutorial book and DVD on that very camera for Christmas 2010, but the first page was so intimidating that I didn’t go further! I had a NIkon SLR film camera before digital, but I know this camera will do so much more!! I’m very excited to learn from you. I’ll work on catching up to the class. Thanks for sharing!!
    Mimijo

66. Anonymous says:

My Canon rebel T3i is on its way to my front door (I ordered it several days ago)! I just found your site and can’t wait to get started!
    Thanks for the lessons!
    Brenda
    brenda_pearce@yahoo.com

67. Pinned this for the day I can actually get a nice camera…It is certainly a challenge blogging with a crummy camera ;-)

68. I’m so excited to have some new friends and visitors!!! Definitely let us know if you have any questions along the way and FOR SURE take your turn and learn at a pace that works for you!!! We’re not going anywhere!!! So glad to meet you and totally happy to have you over for a visit! XO, Aimee

69. MaryAnn T. says:

I have a Nikon D5000 and after 2 years of having my camera in auto mode, I’m finally going to try it to the next level. I’m enjoying all the photos and informations you’ve been posting. Thank you so much! I do have a question; I just purchased this remote control for my camera, it didn’t come with instruction and I can’t figure it out how it works. Its Nikon ML-L3

• That’s so great MaryAnn!!! I’m glad you’re joining along! Thanks for your sweet note!!! The remote should be really easy to operate. On your camera, find the setting for remote. Once your camera is set, the remote should work as soon as you point it towards the camera! Let me know if you have any other questions about it! Definitely here to help! XO, Aimee

70. Amber Bird says:

I have a Nikon D3100 – my first DSLR camera. I am so excited to learn on how to use this bad boy!!! I want to be able to take awesome pics for when i have that first little baby in the house! Right now i will have to practice on my pups. :) Thanks for sharing this great information in such a easy to understand format.

71. Deborah says:

I have a Nikon D90. Thank you Thank you Thank you for your post and sharing on the workings of this camera. I took a very expensive class from a photographer and didn’t come out with as much “useful” info. Just found your blog and looking forward to being a new follower.

72. Treadie says:

Hope I’m not too late to join in. Hubby bought me a new Sony A-65 for Christmas and stumbled across you via Pinterest. Reading the older posts so I can catch up with the crowd. So excited.

73. The Olsens says:

I’m joining a little late, but I have a Nikon D3100 that I want to learn more about!

74. Summer Jackson says:

I am really loving your tutorials! I have a Nikon D80 and I am trying to learn to use more then just the automatic settings. Thanks!

75. Nikki says:

I am excited to read more on your tutorials!! Thank you so much! I too have the rebel t3i, and really feel overwhelmed at all it can do! Since I dont know much about it all (was hoping to take a class somewhere) that when I came upon your blog I got super excited!! Thanks!

76. Patricia Milford says:

I have a Rebel T2i and lots of travel on the horizon! Cannot wait to catch up on your lessons!!

77. kelly says:

Hi Aimee,
    We were away when you started your photography course. I have previously visited your blog. I have just discovered your photography course. I have had my Nikon D7000 for just a little over a year. I am looking forward to reading all your tutorials. I looked at the diagram of your camera and all the buttons. I was so pleased that I knew all the buttons. (Looks exactly like mine) So I feel that I am in a better position to take more info. on board that I would have been able to absorb twelve months ago.Thanks for going this course.

Kelly

78. Susan says:

HI! I have a Nikon D90. I just discovered your Photography Course. Have been shooting photos for a long time but have been staying “too safe” with settings. You are very easy to follow. Thanks! Will catch up with your instructions!!! Susan

79. Char says:

I have a Nikon D60. I am hoping your course will help figure it out. Thanks for posting.

80. Spencer C says:

this is amazing. My wife and I just bought a Nikon D40 and a 18-200mm Nikon Lens. Just noticed your website from Pinterest today. We decided to upgrade because we are having our first child any day now :)

This is so great, thanks for this resource :)

81. Vanessa B. says:

This is Great! Just what I needed!!! :) Also, I have a Nikon D5100! Just got it a little over a week ago!:)

82. Melinda says:

A friend discovered you on Pinterest and shared your blog site with me. I am so anxious to read all your tips and put them into practice. Thank you SO much for sharing – exactly what I have been praying for!

83. Miranda Ward says:

I bought My first DSLR A Canon T1i A little over a year ago second hand.

84. Kristina says:

Recently came across your blog on Pinterest. I have to say I am so thankful that i found it. I purchased my first SLR (Canon T3i) a few months back and don’t know how I have survived without it. I am a bit overwhelmed with it thought because there are so many buttons and modes to shoot in. I recently started shooting in manual to kind of get a feel for the camera. Thank you for putting your blog up about this it is really helping. Can’t wait to catch up on your recent posts. Kristina

85. Hayley says:

Yay I am so excited that i have found your blog!! I have been looking for a course to do but they are all just soo expensive so this is awosome! I only have an old camera that was my parents till the upgraded (Canono EOS 350D) but hopefully everything will still relate to it!! Thankyou so much!!!

86. Lori says:

I absolutely love you for sharing this information. I have had a Nikon D3100 for a year but never knew how to use it. Your ways of explaining things was very clear. I know you was wanting to make each lesson a week well I couldn’t wait a week so I did this in 3 days!! Never learned anything that quick. I am sure to send my friends and family here!! And please if you learn any more trick about the DSLR please post would love to learn more if there is any!!!

• Aimee says:

Thanks so much Lori!!! I will definitely continue adding more to my photography series…probably not every Friday, but I’m constantly learning, too and teaching is one of the best ways for me to really “get” it!!! You made my night Lori!!! XO, Aimee

87. Aimee says:

So glad you stopped by…and CONGRATS on your new camera! I will definitely continue adding more to my photography series…probably not every Friday, but I’m constantly learning, too and teaching is one of the best ways for me to really “get” it!!!

88. Marian says:

Help! I have a D3100 and love it! can’t live without it! I have an error message ‘press and release shutter button’…everyone says to send it back to Nikon. I am going on vacation in the mountains and really want to take it! Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?!
    Thank you.

89. Meg says:

Hi Aimee,
    just found you, thank goodness! I just brought myself a cannon eos kiss, I believe it is the same as a cannon eos 550, very excited to go on your photography tutorials.
    Thanks
    Meg

90. Loren says:

Hi Aimee,

I just bought a Canon EOS T3. I previously had a Canon Powershot and it took great pictures but it started to blur a bit and I wanted to upgrade to a big girl camera. I’m completely overwhelmed by the options! Looking forward to taking your tutorials!

Thanks,
    Loren

91. Nancy says:

Hi Aimee: I just stumbled across your blogg and am so happy. I have a fuji finepix S2550HD.I have yet to take it off of auto shoot cuz I have no idea what I’m doing nor do I understand all the buttons and lingo.I also am a visual hands on learner,so this might take some time. but looking forward to steping outside the box. thanks for your effort in doing the class.

92. Monica says:

Just came across your blog via Pinterest. Looking forward to reading through the series and learning more. I have a Nikon D90, so I’m thrilled that that’s what you’re using to teach us! Thanks for sharing and helping me learn more about my camera.

93. Linda Berry says:

I have a Fujifilm HS 20 SLR. It has a 30x lense and is 16 mp. Just got it and have no idea what it can do….probably more than what I am doing with it. I’m excited I stumbled onto your blog…….can’t wait to start using my camera to it’s full potential.

94. Chris Guilherme says:

Hi Amiee! I just repinned your lessons on pinterest.com and im very excited to start following along with you. I have a Nikon D40 that i bought 2 years ago and finally have built up the courage to turn the dial to the dreaded MANUAL mode! Hope to learn lots from your lessons.

ChRiS

95. Lisa says:

Hi Aimee, I also just found your tutorials on Pinterest and am excited to find others out there learning like me. I have a Nikon D90 and love the photos it takes, but have only really used it on Automatic settings. I am excited to get busy on really seeing what this camera can do!
    Lisa

96. Aimee says:

There are so many great cameras! We’ve had four nikons and have loved them all! I am so excited for you…you’re going to love it!!! XO, Aimee

97. Tammy says:

My name is Tammy and I have a Nikon D90 and a Nikon D3100
    I love both cameras. I am a armature photographer. I usually shoot in Auto or sometimes use the different modes. I look forward to taking the course. Thank you.

98. Okay, I came home with my first DSLR … the Nikon D5100. As the battery charges (hey, I said it was brand new) I’m starting in on your tutorials. And if I need more I may just purchase that Shutterfly course. The other potential good news is my local Best Buy is organizing a class on how to take better pics on manual. So I’m scared and excited all at once!

Linda

99. Elizabeth M, says:

I have a Canon Rebel for many years. I’m just not familiar enough with it so it sits :-(

100. Robyn says:

I have a Nikon D5000, been on a course but got totally lost, and the lecturer never answered the questions we asked, kept on going off course. Looking forward to learning more.

101. Marina Cuell says:

Just bought my first slr
    on the weekend nikon D5100. A bit daunting, so am looking forward to learning from you, thanks.

102. Sandy says:

I’m so glad you are doing this.
    I have a Canon Power Shot SX20.
    I love the camera. I would just like to know more aboutthe functions it can do.
    Thanks again.
    Sandy

103. Jen says:

I am excited to read each week!!! I got Nikon D3100 for xmas.

104. Shannon says:

I have had my Nikon D60 for a few years now and only use auto setting…: (
    My family has given up on me learning to use my other settings. I am so excited to get started!!

105. Raouf Hanna says:

I have Nikon D300 for many years, took great pictures, but I am looking to learn more. There is always room to learn from a professional like you. Thanks in advance.

106. Jill says:

I just found your sight and am so happy I found it. I have the Nikon D300 for 2 years now and love it, but am having some trouble learning all it does and how to do certain pictures with it. Can’t wait to learn from you.

107. Angie says:

I have a Canon Rebel T3i. Can’t wait to learn more!!

108. Taylor says:

I have a Nikon D7000 that I absolutely love! It takes amazing pictures even though I use the auto setting most of the time. I would really love to open a small photography business on the side. I love shooting shots of people outdoors and I am interested in doing some concept shoots. I found your blog on Pinterest and I am very much looking forward to learning how to use my camera!

109. Henrique says:

Very interesting blog, I also have a Nikon, and I believe the D90 is the much cheaper D1.

Love photography, I’ve started taking pictures long before digital cameras, does days it was great and fun to develop and print your own photos, but now its much easier to do the same and much more with Photoshop!

110. Debbie says:

I am so glad you are doing this. I have a Canon EOS 60D and I can’t wait for the next lesson.

111. Barb says:

Hi Aimee… I also just found your blog on Pintrest and can’t tell you how excited I am to finally have someone explain photography terms in straight-forward, down-to-earth, plain English! I’ve learned more from you in the first paragraph than I have by reading the complete manual that came with my new Nikon D5100. Up to this point, I’ve taken some fairly good photos through trial and error…but, I want to be able to understand every little detail of my camera, instead of just guessing and hoping for the best. I’m looking forward to working through your lessons…hope you don’t take them down because I’m a slow learner and it’s going to take me awhile! Thanks from the tip of my lens. Barb:-)

112. Donna Orr says:

Hi Aimee, I also found you blog while on Pinterest. I have a Nikon D3000, and absolutely love it. I’ve been taking pictures for years, but still feel there is so much more to learn about photography. I’m so EXCITED!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

113. Thank you so much for this post, Aimee–I pinned it and will read my way through it!

114. Jan Orr says:

I just found your site and have read through the photography.
    I have a new Nikon D3100 amd would love to learn how to use
    manual. Thank you for the information.

115. Stephanie says:

Just bought my first DSLR, I got the Canon Rebel T4i. I’m so ecstatic over my shiny new toy, definitely an upgrade from a Nikon Coolpix L18! Looking forward to reading more lessons, thanks for doing this and understanding how intimidating these lumps of awesome technology are. :)

116. Dana says:

I have a Nikon D5000. Would love to learn more about it.

117. Claudia says:

I just found you on the net! Hope to learn a lot from you to make the best out my Nikon D5100

118. Blanca says:

Hi, I found you on pinterest. I got my camera about 7 months ago and I don’t use it as much because I don’t know how to use it. I have a canon EOS 1100 D Rebel T3.

119. Ansel says:

Hi, my name is Ansel. I have a Nikon D3100. I’ve been shooting for about 3 months and I’m still learning my camera.

120. Aimee – Thank you so much for these photography lessons. I just stumbled upon your blog last week, and am SO glad a I did. I finally feel like I’m starting to grab a clue about what all the fuss is about DSLR cameras. I have had my eye on the Nikon D3100 for awhile now. Your posts are giving me confidence that I’ll actually be able to handle all of the buttons now. :)

I started blogging in the spring of this year, and would love for my photos to be crisper like I see on so many blogs.

Thanks again so much for your wonderful lessons!!

121. Amanda says:

I am just stumbling across your blog and am very excited! I have a Canon T3I, and I love it! Looking forward to learning more about it, and photography.

122. judie says:

My daughter just sent me this link & I have learned so much from it. I have Nikon D3100 I bought to replace the Canon Rebel I had previously. I am anxious to learn to use it for all the scrapbooking I do of my grandkids. You Rock Aimee!!

123. Darcy says:

I got a canon t3i for my bday this year and can’t wait to learn how to use all those features. Thanks!

124. Ta says:

Just stumbled on this and will try to catch up. I am a total newbie with a brand new Nikon D5100. My hubby loves to take pictures and I love to look at pictures. Excited to learn more.

125. Shashonnah says:

I have a Canon Rebel! I’m excited to learn. The more I use it the better I get! I just know I’m not using its full potential and I want to. Looking forward to this!

126. Stephanie says:

I just found you on Pinterest. I have the Nikon D90 and am excited to learn more!

127. Crick says:

Well I have had my Cannon Rebel for about 2 years and I have loved it but I still don’t know how to use most of the buttons. I am just one of the “put it on auto” and shoot! I am excited to take your lessons and see what I come up with.

128. Rachel says:

Hi, i am so glad to have found you on Pinterest. I have a Mikon
    D7000 – twin lens deal. I have kids which I want to photograph
    But feel I am not using this camera to ots full potential.
    I am totally intimidated and keep going back to the “auto”
    I will be following each of your classes ;-)

129. Aimee says:

Hi Linda. Thanks so much for your sweet note. I’m so sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how hard that has been for you. I hope your photography pursuits will be a great source of joy for you!!! XO, Aimee

130. Reisha J says:

Hi
    I have a nikon d300 and I love it but I’m ready to get out the auto mode and learn how to work it
    Thanks

131. Jeff says:

Hi Aimee

I have a Nikon D3000 that I got as a gift a month ago. I always wanted to be a photographer when was a kid, but life made some other changes for me :) Can’t wait to learn from you and start taking some great pictures. Thanks!!

132. Brianne says:

I will be shooting with a Nikon DX. My hubby bought it for me as a wedding gift. I can’t wait to learn how to use it! Thank you for your posts and willingness to help us.

133. Amanda says:

Good morning, and thank you so much for your willingness to teach us about the correct or better way to shoot the perfect pictures. I am working with a friends camera for now. Canon Rebel XT. A bit of an older model but I have a senior that is wanting me to take pics for her and am really excited. If all goes well I’m hoping to make the extra money to purchase my own newer camera. But thanks so much to the friends letting me “play” with theirs.

134. Jacki wicker says:

Super excited for this. I was looking at the entry dates and hope I can just jump in.

Thanks.
    Jacki

135. Sally says:

I have a Cannon 60D which I have had for a month. I can’t wait to learn how to use it and take great pictures. This sounds like the perfect blog for me. Thank you.
    sally

136. Sally says:

I am anxious to learn to use my Cannon 60D which I have had for a month. This looks like the blog for me. thank you.
    sally

137. I just found your website and can’t wait to jump in and learn more about my camera (which I happen to know nothing about). I’m using a Nikon D3000

138. Karla says:

Hello!

I JUST found you on pintrest. LOVE the photography tutorial. I’ve had my Canon Rebel SLR for 2 years…and only keep it on auto b/c I have NO idea how to use it.

I’m taking LOTS of pictures at outside NIGHT football games AND shots of dancers in a gymnasium setting. What do you recommend the settings be? I’m not getting that great of pictures when I’m on auto…

• Aimee says:

Those are great questions…I’m so glad you stopped by!!! I will try to work in more metering suggestions into my tutorials…especially regarding night football games and dancers…those both pertain to me, too!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!! XO, Aimee

139. Lauea Casey says:

I just found you on Pinterest and am super excited for these lessons. I just got a Nikon D3100 and was about to return it as I felt a bit intimidated by it and was afraid I had made a huge mistake in purchasing it. This site definitely is making me rethink my decision to take it back.

140. Danita says:

I just stumbled on this website from Pinterest. I have read the beginning post and was looking through the post for the next lesson. I am a bit lost here wondering where this lesson is exactly. If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.Thanks much and am also ready to take my camera off the auto button.

141. AJ G says:

Just stopped by after finding this pinned on Pinterest. I’ve been looking for some basics after having my Nikon D5000 for two years and letting it collect dust. All the good intentions and photography courses have not happened, so time to take matters into my own hands and become self-taught through blogs and websites. Looking forward to checking out the rest of your photography course postings!

142. Elizabeth Moran says:

I just found this link on Pinterest and I’m looking forward to learning a lot. I’ve had a Canon S5IS for a few years now and although I’ve done a lot with it, I’m positive that there are many more things that this camera will do.

143. Nicole says:

I just found your site and I am so excited. I have a Hiking D7000. I really want to take a hands on in person photography course, but unfortunately that’s not possible for me right now. I cant wait to start learning your intro to understanding the buttons already has me learning something new

144. Carmela says:

Thank you! I appreciate this article. This is very helpful for Mom like me!
    Carmela

145. Jayme says:

This is awesome! I am currently using a Nikon D3000.

146. Makduda Zainulbhai says:

I have a Nikon D5000. I have had it for 2 years, but really need to explore it and use it to its fullest.

147. Abbie says:

I hope it is not too late to get some feedback. You seem to put this is such easy to learn and follow terms. It is a breath of fresh air after reading some of the things that I have been trying to figure out about my camera. I have a Nikon D70.

148. Lisa says:

I have Canon Rebel 2Ti EOS. Took photography in college but it has been many years and that was with SRL and film. Looking forward to re-learning with my digital and taking some great photos. Thanks.

149. Stephanie says:

This is exactly what I am looking for is a crash course, I thought I knew a lot until I stepped up my game and bought a Nikon d3200 with a telephoto lens…its almost hard to not take good pictures but I want them to be great. What do you use for a editing program?

150. Angie says:

I am so happy I found this link. I have a Canon EOS Rebel XT. and I can not get very good pictures. hopefully this will help me out.

151. Dara says:

Hi! I’m about a year behind, but I just found your blog, which is pretty good timing since I bought my first DSLR 5 days ago! I’ve just read your first post and I am so excited to read through all them! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences!!! I hope that you’re well!
    Thanks!!!
    Dara

152. Don Stevenson says:

I recently bought a Canon SX40hs and am looking forward to trying your lessons. It should be fun.

153. Jorjana says:

I love this blog!!! I have a canon rebel t3

154. Terry Madison says:

Oh this is wonderful, I have the Canon Rebel EOS T3 and so needed to get going on all the bells and whistles. Thank you so much for this, so glad I came across this accidentally this evening.

155. Michelle says:

Just found you on Pinterest. Looking forward to digging in. I kinda know the basics, but want to move beyond. This looks like the place for me! I have a Nikon D5100. Fave subjects are my daughter, her horse and our black dog….the dog is a tough subject. He often comes out looking like a black hole. Any suggestions?

156. Jennifer Johnson says:

Hi I have a Cannon Rebel 1000D and am excited to learn how to use my camera in manual mode. I do it at times but seems when I rush or I am unsure I go back to the auto setting. Looking forward to learning some new tips and tricks :)

157. Aimee says:

That’s such a fun story! I’m really glad you took the time to share it with me! I’m glad that lives on in some capacity…that was a huge find! Sweet boy! XO, Aimee

158. Andrea says:

I just got a D3100. I’m on the right track to falling in love with it. I have gotten a few AWESOME shots along with a ton of crappy, out of focus, over/under exposed shots. I know the camera and I have great potential together but I just need to learn! Hoping your blog will be helpful!

159. Lina says:

Hi Aimee,
    I have a Canon Rebel T3.
    Thank you so much for this course. Lina

160. Mika Unger says:

Hey there!
    I just wanted to let you know that I am so excited to start your course! I am only thirteen but am saving up for the Nikon D5100 as a starting camera. I have been lost in the world of dslr photography until I came across your site on Pinterest. So far you are the only person who can explain the aspects of photography to me. The rest are a bit confusing, so thanks! :)

161. Arlem says:

D7000 here….
    Thank you so much for doing this!!!
    Looking forward to learning with everyone else :)

162. Patti says:

I enjoyed your first class/post! Thank you! I have a Nikon D40 and a Canon EOS 7D. I am the unofficial sports photographer at my son’s school. I LOVE to shoot the football games. One thing I want to work on is low light action pictures…

163. Sarah says:

My name is Sarah and I just bought a Nikon D80. The owner before me had all the settings just perfect but I set them back to default so I can learn!

164. Amy says:

So cool! I have a Canon Rebel XS and love it but have just run out of steam trying to learn all the details :)

165. Michelle B says:

Nikon D5100! Looking forward to learning with everyone. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us :)

166. Barbara says:

I will be using a Canon Rebel T3i ESO 600D. I am looking forward to following you and learning this camera. I would love to learn to take created pictures of my grandchildren.

167. Amu says:

I just got the Nikon D5100 and have been playing around with it alot, but honestly dont know much about what I am doing… :/

168. Gypsy says:

I found your blog on Pinterest. I am late for the party, but better late than never! So excited to learn more! I have two cameras. Nikon D3100, and Canon 60D. I look forward to learning more! Thank you for taking your time to teach us!
    We are destined to be bff’s!

169. Kristin says:

I just got a Nikon D3100 for Christmas and wanted to find a resource to learn how to use it to maximum capacity and your blog has been a very valuable resource for me. I know this is a blog series of the past but I love it! Thanks for making learning simple!

170. Claudette says:

Hi Aimee!
    You are so thoughtful! I am so excited and thankful for this tutorial! God bless you!
    I have a Nikon Coolpix P500.

171. Claudette says:

Hi Aimee!

I have a NIKON COOLPIX P500.

172. Colleen says:

Hi! My name is Colleen and I also have a Nikon D90. I was taking classes at a local photography school but with a toddler running around as well as a full time job, I find that I would rather spend my free time with her. I look forward to your lessons, so far I am loving it!

173. Tamara says:

I just was given the cannon rebel t3 I

174. Jennifer T says:

I stumbled on your site by accident while exploring Pinterest! I’m a homeschooling mom of 3 and a Creative Memories Consultant. Photography has been a fun little side joy to me. Anyway, I’m currently using a Canon Rebel T2i.
    I’m going to provide a link to your site so my customers can learn more about their digital SLR’s! Thanks to you and “stud” for doing this. :)

175. Jacquee says:

This is AMAZING! I’d planned to sign up next week for a course offered through my local camera, then I came across this on Pinterest!! Fridays just got a little finer. ;) Oh, btw, I use a Nikon D90. Thx!

176. Chris says:

Aimee,
    I just found your course on Pinterest and look forward to learning to use my new Nikon D3100. To say the least it can be overwhelming and so far it appears that you do make it very easy to understand. I have a love for photography but am certainly an amateur that surprises myself at times. I come from an Olympus SP 550UZ that I haven’t even learned yet. Thanks for taking your time to teach me!

Happy Shooting,
    Chris

177. Lee Ann says:

So excited! Thank you! My hubby is the photographer. I shoot in auto :( We have a Canon 50D

178. Vicki says:

I just got the Nikon D5100. I have no idea what I am doing. Look forward to learning from you. I have five girls so would love to take some great pictures of them and we live at the beach.

179. Dena says:

I have a NIKON D3100. I only know how to shoot on auto….lol. I have been living in Europe for the past year and will be here for two more years and I am excited to learn how to use my camera to its full capabilities. I want to document this experience with amazing photos :)

180. Therese says:

Just got a Nikon D3200 with wifi. Looking forward to learning EVERYTHING!

181. Therese says:

I just got a Nikon D3200 with wifi…..so excited to learn EVERYTHING. This is my first slr.

182. Hope says:

Im kinda depressed I didnt get my camera for christmas last year : ( But im still taking this class anyway! All by my lonesome! I dont have a big expensive camera.. Its a canon powershot sx160. But i love it and have no idea what the extra buttons are for! Hopefully i will soon!

183. Amber M says:

Trying to figure all of this stuff out. I’m new to photography and recently got a Canon 7D for Christmas. It’s kinda intimidating, but your blog is a very easy read so far. I’m beginning the lessons today!! Thanks

184. Payton says:

I have a Nikon D3100 and I am an aspiring Momographer :) I will be following along faithfully to learn more about my camera !

185. Tony says:

Nikon D60 – Just found this blog and am excited to lean with you.

186. Mike Chase says:

Thanks so much for this introduction to photography..I now have confidence to take photography and face the challenge. I also found a similar blog giving tips and guidelines on digital photography here http://shootdigitalpicslikethepros.com/blog/go1/free-report

187. Archana says:

Hi Aimee,
    Your blog happened to me via pinterest today.I have a 5yr old Nikon D40 which I have been using as a point n shoot camera all this while. Over the last few months i have been trying to learn more about photography n was getting a little overwhelmed with the information out there.
    I absolutely love ur simple and straight forward approach to teaching the subject. Looking forward to learning from u.
    I now believe the old saying “when the student is ready the teacher will appear”:)
    Archana

188. Trish says:

Can someone explain to me what a “Live” view is? My DSLR’s do not have the “Live” view option and I would like to know what it is, what difference it makes, and why it’s there. Thank you! ~Trish

189. Irene says:

I just came across your blog and am so happy to learn more. I have been using a D7000 for a few months. I have had a D5000 and D50. I am still learning and am grateful to start to understand more. I have so many books and am reading everything to finally ‘get it’.
    Thanks!

190. Leigh Reynolds says:

Hi! I have a Canon Rebel T3i! Looking forward to your wisdom!

191. izzy says:

Looking forward to your future lessons I have been using a Nikon D40x for over 5 years now, I use it on manual now with a 35mm lens.

192. Kay M. says:

You must be very blessed! I know I was blessed that my best friend found this post on Pinterest! I just got my first DSLR (Canon Rebel XS). At 51 I am a little apprehensive about walking into a classroom full of college kids, so I’ve been looking for some internet classes that are not to technical for me to understand. This is it!! I’m taking my first step into a journey – hopefully to a new career! thank you!

193. Diane says:

Hi, I got my Nikon D3000 for Christmas, wanted it for I can take some great pics of my grandkids, can’t wait to learn along with everyone, want to learn how to blur the background in the pics, thanks for starting this blog,
    I will be along for the ride,

194. Karen says:

Thank you for this info. I have a Canon T3i that I just can’t seem to grasp from the manual.

195. Laura says:

Stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest, guess I’m not the only one. I just recently purchased my first digital SLR camera, the Nikon 5100 with a 18-200 lens. Having trouble adjusting to the size of the lens and wondered if I should exchange it. Do you have any suggestions? Hoping to take better quality photos for my blog, Designing44.blogspot.

Thank, L.

196. Bootsie says:

I have a cannon rebel T3i and want to learn all the bells and whistles. Looking forward to the next session thanks Bootsie

197. Bootsie says:

I have a cannon Rebel T3i and look forward to your next session.
    Thanks Bootsie

198. John says:

Look forward to learning about how to use my camera. I practice and practice and get some “decent” shots and a lot of DELETE shots. Nikon 5100. I cant wait to learn how to use this thing…. THANK YOU

199. Evelyn says:

Hi! I just found your blog. I got a wonderful birthday present from my husband, a Canon Rebel T4i. I’ve had point and shoot cameras before, and I take some decent pictures. I’m very excited with my new camera and am looking forward to your blogs. Thank you!

200. Kayla says:

I have a Canon t3

201. Savannah says:

I’m just starting out in photography but really wanna go pro some day!!! Your blog looks great (: and I’m hoping to learn lots from it. At the moment I don’t have a fancy camera all I have is a Nikon coolpix S9100

202. Chris says:

Hi Aimee,
    I have been using your site for a few weeks now and I had sweet success with the aperture class. Thanks for making this simple and straight forward! I have the Nikon D3100 and I am wanting to know what the best suited lens would be for zooming. My old camera is a Olympus SP550uz that is an 18x zoom (whatever that is in mm… :) I would love to have that capability with the Nikon. Right now I just have the kit lens 18-55mm and really miss the zoom capability. I know I am getting way ahead of myself with lenses but do I need a Macro lens as well to take very close shots? I put the Nikon in Macro mode but it will not allow me to take the shot unless I back off some and then it isn’t really close at all. Let me know your thoughts when you have the time!
    Thanks!
    Chris

203. Monica says:

I just got a Minolta Maxxum 5D from 2005. It was $1200 in it’s day, but we paid $100, so I can learn how to use a DSLR. I am so excited about your lessons and I can’t wait to stat. I just signed up and I don’t even know how to do anything other than auto.I am trying to take pictures for my healthy food blog. Yeah!!

204. Madison Huggins says:

Hello I just got a new camera it is a Nixon and I have no Idea how to work it do u think u can help

205. jenn says:

Hubby and I just got our 1st slr 2 days ago….Canon t4i with a 18-55 and a 55-250 lens. Hoping to learn lots from you! Thanks for helping all of us with our cameras! Found u on pinterest. BTW: Homeschool moms rock!

206. Jenelle says:

I am late starting with this, but I am sure to catch up. I have a Nikon D3100.

207. Jenelle says:

I am late starting this, but I am sure to catch up. I have a Nikon D3100

208. Jenelle says:

I should add I am using a 18-105 lens.

209. Dawna says:

Totally new at this.. my son bought me a Canon EOS Rebel T3 and Im eager and excited to learn.. and yes scared lol Looking forward to learn about my camera and to take amazing pictures!

210. jen says:

Hi! I’m shooting a Canon Rebel T3. I’ve already started to train myself on the manual selections, but learning wig others helps me more!

211. Debbie says:

Aimee, my husband gave me a Nikon 3200 for Christmas 2012 and I would really love to be able to take it off of auto. I am looking forward to your tutorials each week. Thank you for simplifying the learning process.

212. Tricia says:

I live in Novi, MI. I love how people can connect through the Internet! Anyway..(haha). I LOVE your blog! I have been looking everywhere online for more info about my ISO. I am a busy mom of FOUR young babies so taking classes right now is not very convienant. . (Especially while nursing)
    I have recently started my own photography business. Right now, I only do newborns. They are easy right?!. Pu them in a cut position and snap away. I have my first REAL client this Saturday!(not a friend or family member). Ha
    No charge of course. I just want the experience, but still
    So nervous. I want them to turn out great for the first time parents.
    I will be taking photos inside there house. Please send me any suggestions on camera settings and lighting. I have box lights…should I bring??
    Sorry I ramble sometimes. Thank you so much for your easy to follow explanations!!

213. Robin says:

hello: so excited to have found this blog. i see it started long ago. today is march 31 and im just stumbling across this on pinterest. suggestions on how to catch up to sessions i missed.
    canon eos rebel t3

214. Wendy Thorson says:

I just found your site through Pinterest, and am hoping for some help learning to use my Nikon 5100.

215. Janey says:

I have just bought my camera- not a DSLR but a CanonSX50hs – have no idea what I am doing and will be thrilled to have you show me the way. Have a young son – who picked it up and pushed and turned all the buttons and couldn’t understand why I had no idea what he was doing. Glad you going slowly for me and oldie!!!

216. Dianne says:

Thank you so much for sharing this – It is a great blessing to have come across you through Pinterest – I have been wanting to buy a SLR camera but as it would be a big cost, I have hesitated being unsure I’d be able to make the most of it – but thanks to you, I should now be able to do so. I’m also grateful for your advice on good cameras. It is generous of you to share your time and knowledge – thanks and God bless you!

217. Jenni-Ann says:

Hi there Aimee!

Is it too late to join your lessons? My husband bought me a Nikon Coolpix L310 for Christmas and I feel like I can do so much more and receive more professional looking photos. I just have no idea how to do it.

218. Karen says:

I am using a Canon 60D it’s a very nice camera my husband got it for me for my birthday last year.

219. Amanda says:

Hey Aimee! I just upgraded my Canon Rebel XT that I’ve had for about 6 years to a Canon T4i!! Absolutely love it!! Can’t wait to step deeper into the world of photography!!!

220. Joann says:

I hope this site is still up and running
    I have Nikkon d 3100 I take pictures it focus on the bkground instead on the foreground I hope I explained this right
    thanks for any help
    when I get settled I want to start your course

221. Joann says:

I have nikon d3100
    problems bkgound is in focu but main subject blurry
    help
    I plan to do this course when I get settled
    thanks Joann

222. Lisa says:

Hi there, thank you for doing these amazing tutorials. I’m barely starting here on the first one. I hope to actually know my camera finally after having it for about 2 years and still haven’t moved it from Guide mode. :( I have tried but it has been really frustrating having my pictures come out blurry or too dark, or way too bright or no pictures at all because I can’t get my camera to focus. I hope, hope to finally learn. I feel like if you own a good dslr camera and can’t or don’t know how to use it like myself, it’s money wasted and I don’t want to feel like that anymore.

So with all that said, sorry, you just asked for my name and my camera. :) Here it is…
    Nice to meet you, I’m Lisa and I use a Nikon D3100.

223. Jenny says:

Hey there!

I got the URL from my sister and just finished the first lesson!
    We’re Dutch so English ist’s a problem luckily (apart from some mistakes I’ll probably make)!

I’ll continue to try out all the lessons on your site! I own a Nikon D5100 and it’s my first SLR camera.

Thanks for using simple language that everyone, even foreigners like me can understand!

Kind regards,

Jenny

224. Jenn says:

Two weeks ago my minivan was hit by a drunk driver in the middle of the night. It happened to be the night after my kids’ birthday party and my camera (a Luminex point and shoot type of camera) happened to be in the van. A drink cooler that was also in the van ended up landing above the bag the camera was in and leaked lemonade into the bag, ruining the camera. So, we took the insurance money and bought the camera we had wanted for a year now: a Nikon D3100 (thank you very much, Mr. Drunk Driver!) I went through Pinterest and found your blog and cannot wait to start working through your lessons. So, for my homework for this lesson, I have gone through and read the entire user’s manual. I’m looking forward to tomorrow and playing with aperture in the garden.

Thank you soo much for making these lessons! I appreciate them greatly!

• Aimee says:

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are alright!!!! This is the first time I’ve ever hear a look good come out of such a grim incident like a car accident with a drunk driver! Shocking! I’m so glad you have a new Nikon!!! Best of luck in your photography studies Jenn!!!

225. W. Holden says:

Wow! This is great. My wife sent me the pin to your site and I am real excited to learn more about my camera. I have a Canon Rebel XSi. I like it a lot and it takes great pics, especially of the grandkids. I have a Tamron 75-300 mm zoom, 18-55mm lens that came with the camera, and a 50mm cannon fixed lens i bought on Amazon. The camera takes great pictures, but I need to learn more,much more of the technical aspects to get the full potential of me and my canon. Teach on! Thanks for your help.

226. theresa maciel says:

I am using a digital camera havent bought a dslr camera yet…..im using the Nikon Coolpix P510…..so far im using the auto mode but there are other modes in there that I really want to know how to use……

227. Sirena says:

Hi there, I just received a Nikon d5100 as a wedding gift… I have been playing around with it and have it pretty well figured out but I am wanting to learn some tips and tricks on how to take better pictures and setting up shots!

228. Great information! Thanks for sharing, I just got my first DSLR about 6 weeks ago and I love it but it still takes better pictures then I can! Hoping to take it out of Auto more often here soon! Found you from i heart naptime’s link up!

229. Kirsten says:

Just came across your website! I’m using a Nikon D90 that we bought in back in 2009 (I think) and it has been a wonderful camera! I want to learn how to do more detailed and specialty photography (landscapes, low light, portraits) so I’m really looking forward to reading all your information and advice. Thanks so much for making it easy to understand!

230. Linda S. says:

Hi, just stumbled across your site and very interested in becoming a more proficient photographer. I currently am working with a Cannon EOS 7D and take tons of pictures. I too, am shooting with hit and misses on my photography techniques that I’d like to protect. How often are you updating or where can I go for missed lessons? Thanks for your help

231. Cindy says:

Hi! Excited to see this blog and looking forward to learning more! Unfortunely I don’t have the money to buy a Nikon or a Canon camera, I do have a camera that I bought here in Guatemala, they said at the store it was a semiprofessional camera, but I have my doubts… I would like to know your opinions about mine and if I can use it to do professional photography. It is a Samsung WB100. Tnx a lot… Regards!

232. Cortney says:

I’m Cortney. I have a Fujifilm FinePix S4000A. I got this camera off Craigslist and I love it, but I really need to learn what all to do with it. I love the pictures it takes so far, but I’d like to learn how to only focus on the foreground and blur the background and vice versa and all the other cool camera tricks that professional photographers do. You have the inside scoop and I hope to learn with you. Thanks for posting this tutorial. :)

233. Priscilla says:

I pinned this link to your blog…..I don’t remember when, but am just now clicking over! I have a Nikon DX3100. I’m looking forward to learning!!! Thanks!!

234. Kelly says:

Hi. I just ran across this site by looking for decor for my daughter’s bedroom. I love the quilt you found at HomeGoods and wondered if you could send me the manufacturer’s name or any other info on it. I’m also starting to get into photography. I just had baby #5 (4 weeks old and such a cutie!) and I’m seeing I’d be better off to invest in a decent camera rather than constantly paying someone else to do my kids’ pictures…or missing opportunities for pictures because we couldn’t afford to pay someone. SO, looking to make the investment. Thanks for the easy to read tutorials. I’m going through this when I have a chance and really want to learn and understand! My question – do you see significant savings around the holidays on cameras? Would you recommend staying away from used or refurbished cameras sold on Amazon? Thanks!

• Aimee says:

Hi Kelly! Congrats on baby #5!!! I’m impressed by you being so on top of life with a 4 week old and four other little ones!!! Love it! In my daughter’s room the label says, Cynthia Rowley Quilt. I so hope that helps!!! And in regards to cameras, we feel like the prices are higher around the holidays because the demand is more…hopefully someone else will jump in and let you know if they’ve had a different experience!?! Cameras tend to hold their value. We haven’t ever bought a refurbished or used so I don’t have anything to offer there, but we have bought a few lenses that are not “Nikon” brand to use with our Nikon and they’ve been good money savers and worked great! XO, Aimee

235. Ronna says:

I am late to the party, but hope to catch up. I have a Nikon d70s with a 60mm micro lens that I use for almost everything. Also an 55-200mm zoom.

236. Rachel says:

Just bought a Nikon D3200!! Super excited to find your blog!! Can’t wait to get started!!!

237. Kelli says:

I just stumbled across your blog and I am so thankful for that! I have a Canon T2i and I have been dying to know how to shoot in manual mode. This is exactly what I needed…

238. Jennifer says:

Just found your lessons thanks to pintrest, I have a cannon ti4, can’t wait to review next weeks lesson.

239. Brandy says:

Thanks for posting this! Learning how to use our Canon that way my husband isn’t the only
    one taking the pictures.

240. lori says:

I have a nikon D3200 I just got for Christmas! ! I’m scared to death and have no idea how to use it!!

241. Kendra says:

I am joining very late, but I will be going through your blog and following your posts! I will be using a canon 70d

242. Kim says:

I just found this on pinterest, I will be starting to follow, I use a Canon Rebel T3i. Soon upgrading to a 70D.

243. Kellie says:

I also just found the link to this blog on pinterest and will be following/looking for old posts about using the DSLR cameras. I just received the Canon Rebel T3 for Christmas and have been playing around with it, but want to learn how to maximize its use!

244. Kelly says:

I also just stumbled across this wonderful overview. My big Christmas present this year was a Canon Rebel T3 and I am having so much fun learning how to use it. You really have done a wonderful job of explaining everything in terms that a non-photographer can understand! Thanks Aimee (and Stud)! Can’t wait to keep learning!

245. Noella says:

I too just found this link on Pinterest. I have a canon reel T3i and am anxious to learn more about my camera. Looking forward to reading more…thx

246. Loy says:

I will be using a Nikon D3100.

247. Tammi says:

Just starting to learn along with you! Thanks for blogging this information!

Tammi H.

248. Sharon says:

I have a Cannon Rebel XS. I’m a painter, and am having a blast with the artistic side of photography– but I am having a terrible time mastering the mechanical aspects of my camera. I freeze up and flip over to auto to be sure I don’t mess up the exposure. I’m beginning to be concerned about my mental capacity…..I hope you use small words. And maybe stick figure illustrations…..

249. KoKo says:

I pinned this site a long time ago in case I ever got a nice “grown up” camera (which would require me to grow up and take care of a nice camera), and now I’m joining very late. My husband bought me a Nikon D3200 for my 30th birthday and I am CLUELESS. (However the man at Best Buy did convince us we have to have the $800 18-200 lens today, so I’m expecting that to do everything for me, right?) Anyway we travel A LOT so we wanted beautiful photos of our adventures, and I’m a dentist so I’m saving up for a macro lens for intraoral photos. First I need to learn to turn the camera on, I guess. I’m ready for my exciting new photography adventure!

• heather says:

Hi Koko I just ran across this blog too and was thinking of purchasing the 3200 how do you like it? Hope your adventure is going great.

Aimee-Love your blog thank you for doing this series of photography. I am looking at a nikon d5200 and d3200 any suggestions?

Thanks
      Heather

250. Carolyn says:

I just found this on Pinterest. I got a Nikon D3200 for Christmas. I have been playing with it, but I really don’t know how to use all of its features.

251. Mark says:

Just got my first DSLR and I’m willing to learn all aspects. I got the Nikon D5300 with the AF-S DX 18-55 VR. I also got myself the 50mm f 1.8D. Can’t wait to start shooting some awesome pics.

252. Noliana says:

I bought my first DSLR(Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm)in 2010 and only playing around with it once awhile. I feel pity sometimes when I look at my camera bag, untouched and left alone for so long because I don’t have the basic or gifted with the skills. I do feel the same way as you are when I first holding it in my hand(my husband bought it for me). When being asked why am I no longer bringing around my camera, I reasoned that I did not have the time to learn the skills since I am pack with my office work, 3 kids, gym and so on. After I saw your page being pinned in the Pinterest(from Jamielyn Nye’s blog), with the once a week tutorial, I think I can catch up with these. :)

• Kate says:

Hey, don’t look for excuses! Just have the camera with you! What I do is taking pictures as often as possible and now even without having real knowledge of photography I take very nice pictures, getting wonderful comments.

253. Lydia Wagner says:

So I am going back to your photography posts because Tim said I could start researching for an SLR! Yay! And you would be happy to know that my little treasure hunter has learned from his father to pick up EVERY COIN he finds. Even if it is on a nasty McDonald’s floor! HAHA! But he hasn’t found enough to fund my camera.

254. Riki Lee says:

I’m so incredibly happy I stumbled across this blog! You explain things so perfectly, I used to have a similar issue with my partner, where he’d try and explain everything to me but would use big words and I’d end up feeling frustrated and stupid because I just wouldn’t get it… So thank you SO SO much for this :) I’m absolutely loving these posts :) Love from Sunny South Africa :)

255. My husband bought me the Nikon D3100 and I have used it some but don’t understand a lot of it. I have done several online tutorials and I am starting to get the concept in my head but having a hard time transferring that to the camera!!!!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] following a set of lessons laid out by Aimee at It’s Overflowing, and have gotten a very rudimentary grasp on Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed and White […]

2. […] found this wonderful blog entry from It’s Overflowing Blog with basic photography advice for DSLR camera owners.  I can always get professional advice from […]

3. […] Another resource I have been reading in my “downtime” between study sessions is a photo series on It’s Overflowing. The writer, Aimee, breaks down some very intimidating photography terminology in a basic, easy to understand manner. If you just got your first DLSR or are trying to learn how to use yours properly, definitely check out her photo series! […]

4. Photo Thursday – ISO! | says:

[…] few weeks, I have been learning how to use my DSLR camera through an online tutorial created by Its Overflowing! She does a fantastic job of putting complex photography language and techniques, into easy to […]

5. Photo Thursdays – Aperture | says:

[…] terminology and techniques and have a new skill to work on!! Through the week-by-week tutorial via It’s Overflowing, I have learned the basic functions of my Canon Rebel T2i, and have tested the waters with the […]

6. […] first site (and so far the easiest learning by far) I found was HERE . Aimee has such a great way of explaining things that make it not only sink in but STICK […]

7. […] on my hands, I’m totally going to learn how to use the SLR camera my mother-in-law loaned me. This tutorial looks so helpful. One of my goals for the new year is to learn how to take and edit blog […]

8. […] found this wonderful blog, It’s Overflowing.  Last year Aimee Lane presented a series called Photography Friday and it was all about learning to use a digital slr camera in simple and practical terms.  Yes, […]

9. […] on taking pictures.  My daughter in-law, Aimee from It’s Overflowing introduced a wonderful photography course on her blog that I will use to familiarize myself with my new camera and improve my photography […]

10. […] Overflowing has a short Photography Course that does a good job of focusing in on each aspect of that exposure triangle I […]

11. […] An introduction to digital photography. […]

12. […] oDespite this being my last semester of college, I decided to up my courses to 6 so that I could fit in Digital Photography! I figured:A) I’m already paying a million dollars for a college educationB) I would probably pay for a photography class at SOME point in my life, therefore..C) Why not make the most of what I’m already paying and have a phenomenal professor as well? I’ve only been in the course for about 3-4 weeks now, but I’m still extremely happy that I decided to take it! We’ve just begun learning the technical aspects behind photography such as the Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. While I can’t explain it nearly as well as my professor does, over winter break I did find a pretty useful tutorial online for beginners who know nothing about photography: It’s Overflowing by Aimee. […]

13. […] Here are some more cousins that I actually met for the first time! I’m the baby of the family, as you can tell.Thanks to Christmas shortly after, I got to practice even more with my own family back in San Diego! With my brother away in China for two years and myself in school 3000 miles away, it’s been difficult to get some family pictures of all of us together. I came up with a great idea for my grandparents’ Christmas gift, though: a collage frame and a photoshoot to fill it up! We finally got some great family portraits. I, of course, enlisted my lazy brother to share the cost and agree to hanging the large frame up in their apartment! Meanwhile, I got even more practice and tried out a tripod with a timer for the first time. Aren’t my grandparents adorable? I loved their matching Christmas outfits!I definitely struggled with shooting in artificial lighting. Comparing the pictures between my cousin’s family and my own, I’m realizing how much of a difference natural lighting makes! Over Christmas break, I’ve been searching for some basic DSLR tutorials online. I found a really great one by Aimee at It’s Overflowing. She runs through Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, and Metering very thoroughly and simply! I’ve found that a lot of tutorials online make a lot of assumptions about your photography background which can be very frustrating. Aimee, however, does a wonderful job of explaining every step and even assigning little “assignments.” If you want to check it out, click here. […]

14. […] Today 02:26 PM Here are a couple blogs: Photography Friday 1 {Introduction} http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsn…lr-camera.html This is a free Ebook: Tutorials by […]

15. […] Window: DSLR How-To • Kevin & Amanda: A Quick Guide To Understanding Your DSLR • It’s Over Flowing: The Basics of Digital Photography • The Tripod Diaries: Photography Cheat […]