01/21/12

Photography Course: Shutter Speed

Thanks for continuing to spread the word about Photography Friday!  I’m totally filled with warm fuzzies from your kindness!  This bloggy photography class is TOTALLY what I needed and it’s nice to know you, my sweet friends, felt exactly the same way!!!  When I open my camera manual or a photography book, my eyeballs pop out and I start to shut down!  I’m just not wired that way naturally!  I made it through college and did great, but in this chapter of life, textbooks just aren’t appealing to me!  Thankfully I have my hubby, aka Stud, who is an AWESOME photographer showing me the ropes!  Yes, I’ve thanked him for you already!  Even gave him a BIG smooch for sharing all his camera scoop with us!!!  Just in case you’ve missed my other two posts, you can check them out here:

Photography Course: Shutter Speed
Tonight we’re going to talk about the second part of The Exposure Triangle!  As you recall from last week, exposure is essentially the heartbeat of photography!  I’m going to give you a refresher on the basics of each element.  And then I’ll focus on Shutter Speed.   And of course, application is the best way to make sense of what you’ve read, so I’ll give you a little assignment and there will be a linky party right below this post for you to share your AWESOME results!!!  If you’ve worked your way through the aperture element, it’s downhill from here!  You totally are going to be FANTASTIC photographers before long!!!  It’s totally worth a little brain sweat if you get the results you’ve always wanted, right!  I promise to leave out as many technical words as possible!!  Like last time, read though the explanation below, try to let it soak in and by the end of the night, we’ll be two-thirds of the way through the most important element of photography: Exposure!!!   {Rah Rah Rah, GO You and Me!!!}
Photography Course: Shutter Speed
No worries..just read the three points below…we’ll make more sense of it all in a minute!
  1. Aperture.  It is what regulates how much light is let into your camera!  Basically, think of it as curtains on a window that control how much light comes into your room.
  2. Shutter Speed.  This controls the amount of time that the shutter is open when you’re taking a picture.  Basically, think of it as holding onto your blind’s wand and allowing the blinds to be open for only a certain amount of time.  Like when you’re struggling to awake your child in the morning and she won’t get up so you briefly open the blind and then close it again to let her see the light of day.  The shutter speed is how long you leave the blind open.
  3. ISO.  It is your camera’s sensitivity to the light.  In other words, if you had a west facing window, you could add a window sheer to the window so the light coming into your room wouldn’t be too harsh, but if it’s overcast you could easily pull that sheer back and allow more light to come inside.

Okay, so you got it!?!?  Well, at least aperture, a bit, right?!?!  Tonight we’re going to totally set aperture aside and only focus on shutter speed.  There will be plenty of time later to put it all together!  If you find a spare minute in your week {I know, me neither}, it’d be a good idea to review aperture a bit, just so you retain it and all.  But tonight we’ll leave it on the last post and take on shutter speed, which I have to say, just isn’t too big of a deal.  No, seriously!  You’ll see!  You’ll be patting yourself on the back before the week is up!!!

Shutter Speed controls the amount of time that the shutter is open when you’re taking a picture.  So the first thing that Shutter Speed controls is the amount of light let in! The higher you set your shutter speed number the quicker your shutter will open and close again, this, of course doesn’t allow tons of light to come into your camera.  The lower you set your shutter speed number the slower your shutter will open and close again, this of course allows for tons more light to come into your camera.

Each number stands for the amount of time you’ve chosen to leave your shutter open.  For example, 500 would mean you want your shutter to stay open 1/500 of a second {totally open for a short time, right!}  The same applies to the other shutter speed settings.  The number is the amount of time the shutter is open per a second.  Some examples of shutter speeds are: 1/500, 1/400, 1/320, 1/250, 1/200, 1/160, 1/125, 1/100, 1/80, 1/60,  and so on.

With Aperture, you learned how to change your camera settings from having everything focused to having only one subject focused and the rest blurred.  With Shutter Speed, the main difference you’ll see in your photographs by changing this setting is what photographers call motion or blur.  Sometimes motion is good and eye catching, but for our purposes we aren’t usually looking for a blurred picture.  So we have to be careful to not set our shutter speed too low.

Adjusting shutter speed is WAY cool!  My sweet little B drew a heart for Valentine’s Day with her flashlight and because my shutter was open for a long time, my camera captured the entire thing!!!  I used a tripod and remote {I’m obsessed with my camera remote} in this picture and left the shutter open for 2 seconds in the picture above.  But, I don’t want to get ahead of myself here, totally just sharing this to inspire not to confuse!

If you were to take a picture like the one above or when you were at a carnival or fair at night time and wanted to photograph a beautifully lit, fast-spinning ride your little sweetie just rode, a low setting shutter speed may make for a FANTASTIC picture, but capturing their excitement after the ride, you will want a faster shutter speed.  Let me give you some basic setting tips for different situations.

1. If you are taking a picture of your child dancing, jumping or playing sports, you will want to use a faster shutter speed, such as 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000.
  2. If you are taking pictures of your child holding up the number of fingers that represent their age or a frozen still smile picture, or taking a family portrait, you will want to set your shutter speed to 1/60, 1/80, 1/100.
  3. If you are taking a picture of a craft or food, you will be best setting your camera’s shutter speed low…sometimes as low as 1/30.  However, anything under 1/60 will be prone to have a little blur, unless you have an INCREDIBLY steady hand or are using a tripod.
  4. If you are taking a picture and want to include a little motion in your picture, such as taking a picture of a spinning ride at the fair or a waterfall, you will want a super slow shutter speed, such as 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8.  {When you get down that low the shutter is staying open for full second counts}.  You would DEFINITELY need a tripod and remote for these settings. (I absolutely LOVE the remote!!)

Are you ready?!?!  Use the menu button to change white balance and ISO to auto.  Set your mode dial set to S or SV and the other elements set to auto {including white balance}  and now, you are in control of your camera’s shutter speed.  Find the dial that your camera uses to operate the shutter speed.  Depending on your camera {double check your manual or the pic above if you have a Nikon}, your shutter speed will most likely be controlled by the main command dial.  On my camera, I have to press slightly down my shutter release while turning the dial to make this feature work.  See the number [250] in the picture above?!  Yep, you guessed it!  That’s where to look when you’re adjusting your shutter speed!  Sometimes I use the back of my camera to see where my shutter speed is, but most of the time I look at the top of my camera by the shutter release where I have a little display {or inside my camera viewfinder I can see the same display}.

Practice lowering and raising your shutter speed and try to find each of the settings I listed above.  Just like last week, this week we’re going to do a little application exercise!  Find a special something to photograph the entire time!!!  While you could go outside and attempt taking pictures of your little sweeties running super fast or flying down the slide, when you are working on this new element, I recommend you finding a nice, well lit window in your sweet comfortable home!  Outside, there are so many competing elements, you may have trouble really seeing the results!  Especially if those evil tree shadows try to mess with your picture!  When it’s well lit outside, there tends to be tons of shadows and since we’re not adjusting any of the features except shutter speed, we totally don’t want to rely on our camera’s auto mode to make good choices for those other settings.

I found a water faucet demonstrates this element real well!  {Thanks for the suggestion Stud}!  I left my faucet dripping slowly for the entire exercise.  There are water restrictions in my area so pretty please don’t spread the word about me wasting a bit of water- it was for a good cause, right!  After each click, I dropped my shutter speed in half, as you can see in my pictures down below.   If you want to TOTALLY surprise me and try something SPLENDIDLY creative, GO FOR IT!  But, feel free to experiment with shutter speed using a dripping faucet like me.  I think it will totally help you “get it”!!!  And that’s the whole point, right!!! I’m so proud of your hard work, it gives me goosebumps!!!

Here are my shutter speed pictures.

Do you see the difference in each of these pictures?!?!  Do you know why the shutter speed caused such a difference in all of these pictures!??!  It’s totally making sense to me now so I’m THRILLED to explain my pictures!

1. In the {1/500} picture above, you can see that the shutter opened and shut so quickly that the camera captured a frozen picture of the water droplets.
  2. As the pictures progress, you see a bit more motion increase {remember, I didn’t change the intensity of the water stream one bit in any of these pictures}.
  3. In the picture below {1/4}, the shutter stayed open long enough to follow the water droplets as they were flowing down.

I told you tonight was going to be totally easier than aperture.  Don’t you think!??!  Each step is getting us that much closer to our goal of GREAT manual pics!  Are you feeling more comfy with your camera and all those buttons!?!?  A little less overwhelmed!?!?  I’m TOTALLY proud of each of you…sending each of you a SUPER TIGHT SQUEEZE!!!

Here are a couple accessories that we totally depend on when we’re taking fun pictures {let us know if you need help choosing something similar to your picture}…if you want to add a few pennies to our piggy bank you can use these links to make your purchases, but seriously no worries, you can totally shop wherever you like to shop BEST!  We’re just total amazon people!!!  Love the convenience, ya know!!! {Pictures link you to the details about two of our mentioned faves.}

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Eva says:

Hiya, great stuff! I have a cannon EOS 1200D and I find it hard to understand how to get my camera on the same settings/menu that you use to explain how to use the apture and the shutter speed. Any suggestions to help me out? Also I am finding it a bit hard to complete the “homework”. I am at a lost to understand anything to do with the apture and how to blur out the backgrounds.
    Do you think you could help? Just email me and I might be able to explain more detail about my struggles. thanks x

2. Nate says:

Thanks for the great information. Very helpful for my Photography Needs.

3. Nancy says:

Hi, i’m a new blogger from Belgium. I’ve just dicovered your blog on pinterest, and let me tell you that in 2 hours, i’ve learn more in photography that i did before. Thanks you very much for sharing your tips with us. It is very helping.

Much love

4. Ariana says:

Great tutorial!
    More tips please!

• I do need to add more Ariana!!! I moved and have been working on sharing more organization posts — but photo tips are my favorite so for sure more will be posted soon!!! XO!

5. Effie says:

Thank you SO much for this photo tutorial series, Aimee!!! I just bought my first DSLR, so I am a total beginner. I learnt so much. I can’t wait to try all these different options out and take some amazing photos!!!

6. Ro Jones says:

I am a ‘Johnny-come-lately’ to this tutorial thanks to a recent Pinterest pin where a blog was linked to this article. Like yourself, I’m married to a wedding photographer, however, I’ve assisted with artistic direction but never had time to focus on learning shooting. I am artistic and mu husband is more technical, so his explanations were challenging for me. I picked the camera up again about a month ago and decided to simply read the manual. Finding your post has helped my progress and understanding speed up quite a bit. I look forward to my ‘homework’. Although I found it almost a year later, it was right on time for me. Thank you for sharing!

7. Irene says:

Thank you for your blog.. I have Nikon D3200, I can’t set my aperture to be lower than 4. I think I need a better lense? What lense should I buy?

8. Divya says:

This is awesome, I used to follow this religiously while using my manual slr years back, but once I moved on to digital I stopped thinking about these things, so this was like a refresher course for me..Thanks

9. Trisha D. says:

Hello there, I’m in love with this tutorial! It’s very easy to follow along and take notes. I found it from pinterest (thank goodness for that site haha).

Anywho, I thought I would pass along a tid-bit for those with a Canon (I have a Rebel T1Ii- outdated by now I’m sure) that the “SV” setting mentioned above translates to “Tv” setting using the mode dial (aka the round dial which rotates with different pictures like someone running, or a mountain). SV or Tv are also refered to as the shutter priority.

Hope that helps anyone googling around 🙂

Kind Regards,
    Trisha D.

10. Mary says:

I am so glad I found this blog. I received a Nikon D3200 for Christmas from my husband because I’ve always wanted to do pics of the family and friends that I could frame in my house but never had a “great” camera. I have NO clue what anything means other than “Auto” and “Zoom”. Loving how simple and understanding this blog is and am learning so much. Thank you for putting this together. It’s becoming less complicated and intimidating to me. I’ve shared your blog with one of my other friends that also is trying to understand and improve her camera skills. 🙂

• Laurie says:

I just got a Nikon D3200 too and this blog is amazing!! I know nothing on how to use this camera other than the “auto” buttons! I’m slowly learning and totally excited to try my camera using the “Manual” buttons!!!

• Thanks for the tips Aimee! We can learn our Nikon D3200s together ladies!

11. Jenna says:

Your website is fantastic! Unfortunately, i’m having trouble doing the ‘homework’ and i’m wondering if i’m doing it wrong or if it’s my lens. I have a 18-55 mm lens and the lowest aperture is 4.5. So, for the aperture assignment I’m not getting much blur and for the shutter exercise It’s not letting in enough light- at 1/500 it’s extremely dark. I have a decent amount of light in my kitchen too.
    Not sure if this site is still active but i hope it is!
    Thanks for the tips so far!
    Jenna

• Hi Jenna…we’re still around, just a busy season…hope I haven’t left you waiting too long! Thanks for your sweet note! In regards to your lens, you are totally right, the 18-55 lens won’t lower below 4.5. You may want to adjust the ISO to be a little higher number and see if that your photos to be brighter! Best of luck to you in your camera exploration!!! XO, Aimee

12. That’s a tough spot…my suggestions would be to increase the ISO to where your camera can handle it…probably somewhere between 1250-1600. Open up aperture by lowering the F-Stop a bit. And make sure the Shutter Speed doesn’t get too low. Crossing my fingers for you to find success!!! XO, Aimee

13. inpiringphotographer12 says:

This is SO amazingly helpful I am getting SO excited it is the first thing I have read that actually makes me understand my camera I can’t stop reading your lessons I just want to keep learning more and more.. and you make it so easy! thankyouuu

14. Cathy says:

I have a nikon 3100 and i looked under the menu and when I choose AUTO for ISO setting, the camera won’t let me… I see the option for AUTO but it says that AUTO is not available for the current setting which is Shutter-Priority.

• Try this Cathy…Go to menu, ISO sensitivity, click down one and turn auto sensitivity from off to on. 🙂 Let me know if that gives you any more trouble!!! XO, Aimee

15. Renee says:

I just paid for a course like this and learned little. I’ve only read this far and you have taught me more already. I never thought I would get this excited about taking pictures of water dripping from a faucet. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

16. Melissa says:

First off I just want to say that I found your blog on Pinterest and I LOVE it!! I got my first Nikon about 2 years ago. I have a Nikon p100. And even though I love it, I’m ready to upgrade to a DSLR!! But my husband keeps telling me I have to wait. But seeing as how we are in the process of big remodel with our house, I can’t really go out and “blow” 500-900 dollars on “just a camera”, as he would say. Anyhow, my question(s); How different are the Aperture settings, and Shutter Speed settings on my type of camera (I think I heard someone refer to it as a bridge camera, if there is just a thing?) to that of a DSLR? My aperture pictures were completely different. But I believe on the aperture setting my camera will only allow me to change it depending on if my camera is zoomed or not. The more I zoom, the higher the camera allows me to go. I think?? lol
    And the shutter speed just made everything darker, as I increased it. The higher the shutter speed, the darker my pictures got. (I was trying to water picture as you did) Not to sure if you, or your husband, know much about these types of cameras, but just sitting down and reading my User’s Manual bores me to death. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And just because my camera is different, I’m still going to read through the rest of your blog, because the aperture and shutter speed is something I hadn’t really played with, and I did learn more about my camera, and I that was my intent when I found this blog!! 🙂

• Hi Melissa! I haven’t ever “played” with a Nikon p100, but I think that one is similar to what my mom has and it takes great pictures. I think you’re right that the settings are quite the same. On a different note, I’m green with envy over your big house remodel! What a total blast!!! Enjoy every second of it!!! XO, Aimee

17. Richelle says:

I LOVE your blog. I just found it on pinterest and I am so happy. My hubby got me my Canon Rebel Ti3 for Christmas and I was so lost at how to use it. These lessons are amazing. Thank you for sharing!!!

18. Felicia says:

Hi I’ve had an SLR camera for a few years now..and never really got all the Shutter speed/ISO/ Aperture stuff. Thanks for making it clearer for me..I’m really enjoying your blogs!
    I’m finally beginning to slowly take pix (with my camera not set on Automatic) 🙂

19. Thank you so much for all these tips! I am finally learning how to use my DSLR in “my language” 2 yrs later! LOVING YOUR “classes”!!

20. Amber says:

Thank you so much for this post! I am a very visual person and my journey through photography has been made easier by wonderful people like you who share such great tutorials! I shared one of your photos with my readers this week in hopes that they can learn from your tutorials too! I would love for you to stop by sometime. Thank you again!
    – Amber @ jRoxDesigns

21. Lynette says:

Can Stud recommend a remote that is compatable with my Nikon D3100?

22. Kim says:

I LOVE your lessons!! I’m wanting to become a photographer and learning my Canon Rebel XSI that I’ve had for two years has been difficult, until I came across your blog! I have been sitting here taking notes all night! (well up til this lesson). Thank you so much for what you do and thank you to your wonderful husband for teaching you so you can teach us! I’m excited to pick up on the other lessons in the next few days!

23. Lynsey says:

So when your shutter speed is set to 1/500, for example, that means it is open for a very short amount of time correct? Would that have made my photos darker? Just asking because your photos were not dark. Thanks

• Sorry, I’m late to get back with you Lynsey! You are totally right! XO, Aimee

24. Anna says:

I have a Nikon D3100 and can’t seem to figure out how to get my ISO to auto and how to change my Shutter Speed. I’ve been looking everywhere for what’s wrong, but just not finding it. Help?

• Hi Anna!!! Glad to meet you! To change your ISO, you’ll need to go into your menu and find your ISO sensitivity settings and adjust it there. For your shutter speed, your camera needs to be on M – manual or S – shutter priority to adjust the settings. For more information on this look at the class overview. XO, Aimee

25. Maggie says:

Thank you so much Aimee and to whomever posted this in pinterest. I saw your blog mentioned there and was very intrigued by the photography lessons.

I am trying both the aperture and shutter speed lessons this weekend.

Easy to understand, makes total sense! I look forward to learning more with you!

Thanks!!!!
    Maggie

26. Nicole says:

I’ve had my canon rebel for almost 3 years & I’ve tried different books, DVDs, websites… nothing really clicked! I don’t know what it is about you, but I read your lessons and I was like ‘duh!!’ I just started taking them in aperture mode and I’m going to try doing the shutter… slowly but surely I’m moving up to manual!!! Yay!! Thanks!!

• Nicole, you are so sweet to leave a note for me! I appreciate it tons! So glad it’s coming alive for you. It’s so cool when someone with composition talent gets the mechanics too. Watch out world!! XO, Aimee

27. Hi Aimee,
    I stumbled across your course on ‘Pinterest’ today and just finished Day 3 and wanted to say THANKS A MILLION for putting this together. I am new to digital photography, just purchased my first NIKON DSLR (5100) and am looking forward to using your techniques!
    Currently I am a designer in San Francisco and wanted to learn the basics in digital photography so I could take photos of my items but was a little hesitant. But reading articles like yours gives me the inspiration to try!
    Keep up the great work!
    Best,
    Nigel

28. Kelli says:

Hello!! I followed your first lesson with ease. I’m using a Nikon d40 and I’ve had trouble with this lesson. I can’t get my ISO set to auto in “S” mode. Any pointers??

• Hi Kelli, Sorry for being slow to respond. You’ll find the ISO option under the menu screen on the D40. Keep scrolling through and if you don’t see it, definitely let me know!!! XO, Aimee

29. Britney says:

Woo Hoo! I made it through this lesson. I found this one much harder than the first lesson. My main problem was my camera did not automatically set ISO to auto. Once I found and corrected that setting, this went much smoother. Thanks so much! On to lesson 4!

30. Britney says:

Thank you to you and whoever shared this on Pinterest for me to find! I’m on lesson 3 and am finding this very easy to follow and very useful. Thanks for sharing!

31. I may be too late to help you, but your lens probably won’t allow you to go beyond those f-stops. When you’re ready to play with aperture more, you might consider checking out lens options. You can still do a lot with the lens that you have!!

XO, Aimee

32. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Your sweet note made my night!!! Thanks Shannon! XO, Aimee

33. Carol says:

Thanks so much for the easy to follow tutorials! I am learning so much!

34. Rach H says:

Aimee, thanks for linking so many awesome things to my link party last weekend! This is being featured tonight. Thank you so much for this awesome post. I’m still learning all these things too. I love your pictures!

35. Rach H says:

36. Rach H says:

37. Rach H says:

38. Emily @ 52 Mantels says:

This is totally pinned! I’m really enjoying this series. Thanks for linking up and sharing your creativity with us!!

39. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Oh my goodness Kellieannie…thanks for the huge compliment! You melt my heart!

XO, Aimee

40. Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia says:

THANK YOU!! I am still so frustrated by my manual, you make so much more sense! I am pinning this! Thanks for linking to!
    XO
    Kristin

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

I know what you mean Kristin! Thanks lots for pinning this!!! XO, Aimee

41. Anonymous says:

Hi Aimee! Thanks for the tutoring! I have a Canon Rebel XTi and cannot see how to set the ISO to auto. Can you help me?

42. The Bathtime Team says:

Hi Aimee
    Have been taking pics from our shower head. Will add soon.
    Think sorted with ISO. It goes to 100 only unless on auto.

43. happychaos.org says:

I tried this assignment and the higher the shutter i set the darker the photos got.

any suggestions?

also, what else can i practice with? my faucet doesn’t drip as slowly as yours, so it didn’t work 🙁

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Hmmm. What lens are you using?!? See if this helps, make sure your ISO is on auto. Then be sure you’re shooting in a well lit area. If you are shooting w a standard lens, the aperture won’t go as low so well lit is real important. Eventually we’ll adjust the ISO and that will help the lighting. You could try a car, bike, dog or child passing by. Just try to get as close as you can, and allow the subject to pass your camera. High shutter speed will freeze the moment, low shutter speed will capture the motion. Let me know if you have other questions! Totally want to help!!!

• I have the same problem. The higher the shutter the darker my pictures. I tried to adjust the apeture but that didn’t help and I made sure the setting was on Auto.

I am thinking it is my lens. I am using a Canon Rebel Rebel 3TI with a 18mm-55mm lens. It’s what came with the camera.

I saw a difference in my pictures though!!! Just wish my pictures didn’t come out so dark. I am a newbie, thank you for this tutorial it helped me so much!!

44. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Awesome pics!!! I’m totally impressed! Thanks for the question about setting aperture in Auto…in Shutter Priority mode, the aperture automatically changes to Auto! So if you’ve changed your ISO and White Balance to auto…you should be totally ready to work with your Shutter Speed!!! Thanks for checking with me!

XO, Aimee

45. Shabby chic Sandy says:

I am loving your little photography course. Need to take some time to re read your posts. Love the faucet pictures–I have always enjoyed taking pictures like that of the kids in the pool, or of snowflakes. Thanks for doing this fun course!

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Thanks Sandy! Snowflakes would be INCREDIBLY fun to photograph with shutter speed changes!!! GREAT idea!!! Glad you stopped by and said hi…I always LOVE hearing from you!!! XO, Aimee

46. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Thanks Abbie!!!

47. Emily Lynne {The Best of this Life} says:

WOW! Aimee this is such an amazing post about photography. You really break it down so well!!
    Thanks for all the pointers and tips. Hope you are enjoying a fabulous weekend xo

48. ~Tablescapes By Diane~ says:

Hi lovely lady.
    Thanks so much for taking the time for us.
    I have a new Nikon Coolpix L120.. I just did the running water
    and I’am just looking at the photo Wow. This is great..
    I hope you come back with more.
    XXOO Diane
    I do have your Button on my sidebar..

49. Titus 2 Work in Progress says:

Thanks for the great tips and pictures to help. I never thought of using a remote. I’ll add that to my wish list 🙂 I’m hoping to get my camera for Valentine’s day 🙂

50. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com says:

This is such a great series Aimee!! And youre the best teacher! Thanks you so much 🙂