Kitchen: Cabinet Resurface – Pennies per Door

March 7, 2012 by 49 Comments

DIY Kitchen Makeover: Cabinet Resurface for Pennies per Door
When we first walked through this house, I quickly noticed the tall cabinets and that totally impressed me.  Very uncommon for this age home.  So many homes in this neighbor have a fur down instead, which is totally useless space!  I’m all about a GREAT update without totally breaking the bank!  Especially since we don’t have a SUPER HUGE bank to break!
I tend to be drawn to modern country decor, but the basic lines of mission style cabinetry always intrigues me.  Here’s a little inspiration!
 {Ikea}
My kitchen cabinets although as boring and drab as they come are very solid and gutting them seemed like a waste!  This was one of the selling features for us.  Kitchen remodels can be crazy expensive and the thought of reaching awesome for not too much intrigued me!  We decided to keep them and give them some LOVE, aka, dimension!  We bought “under layment” intended for under hardwood floors.  This board is about an 1/8 of an inch thick and is found near the plywood.  It runs around $20 for a large sheet.  We totally lucked out and the guy working when we went in didn’t know the rules {neither did we}!  Thankfully the machine did all the work and it never seemed one bit of dangerous.  He cut a huge board down into two inch strips for us!  And he was TOTALLY happy to help!  Don’t you love it when you come across someone thrilled about working!  Totally energizes me!  One board cut took a good 20 minutes, but it was plenty for our entire kitchen and WAY cheaper than refacing the cabinets with new doors.
The doors had holes from the hardware and hinges, but it was not big deal….no need to add wood filler and sand and such…the holes were covered!  Oh, and out of curiosity, I had Stud “rip” another board into strips and it was painless.  We set up another board to guide our under layment through the table saw evenly.  Setting up the guide took the longest part…cutting was a breeze!

With the long strips cut, we first, measured the length of each cabinet and using a brad gun we secured the strips with two brads at the top, two brads at the bottom, and one in the middle.  After ALL the vertical trim pieces were secure, we measured between the vertical strips to determine the length needed for the horizontal trim pieces.  Once those were measured and cut, we secured them with more brads.
We used paintable silicone sealant to fill any gap along the inside perimeter of the trim.  And followed with paint {tutorial coming soon}.
Above Stud’s working on filling the huge rectangle hole from the old style previous stove top!  Yes…we did a little sanding to get that baby flush!!!  Don’t you totally feel for those poor brand new hardwood floors!!!?!

Progress…Can you see it?!?!  Oh, and yes…I know I’m a tacky mommy with a totally chaotic refrigerator!  My new trick {beginning today} is I’m going to use the other side and try to leave this side bare!  I totally want to put a board there to make the fridge more built in, but that’s going to take a crazy amount of imagination and skill because there isn’t enough space!  Where’s your favorite clutter space!?!  What do you do with random pictures that friends give you!?!?  Tips!?!?  Suggestions!?!?

More Rancher Kitchen Updates.

Comments

49 Responses to “Kitchen: Cabinet Resurface – Pennies per Door”
  1. Oh wow it looks amazing!! What a difference adding the detailing to the cabinet doors made! (and of course the paint- that stuff is a life-saver.) Your kitchen is so gorgeous!
    When friends give me family pictures (like on a Christmas card or something) I snap a picture of it with my cell phone so that I have their cute pic, and then I instantly throw the card in the trash. I feel a little guilty but if I saved the hard copy of every friend’s photo I wouldn’t be able to see my refrigerator. So by snapping a pic of it I save it in a spot that takes up considerably less room. :)

2. Embarrassed to admit it, but I do that with some of my sweet b’s artwork! Duh! I’m going that route with important pics and cards, too! Thanks Brooke! XO, Aimee

3. Genius! I can’t wait to see it all painted!

4. I love seeing the progress of your home posts! And I love that your fridge looks as “tacky” as mine! :)

5. That’s SUPER CUTE Karen!!! You, my friends make me feel tons better about my sentimental clutter!!!

XO, Aimee

6. Jen Naus says:

Love your kitchen! I, myself have the 70’s kitchen in a 1930 something house, it drives me crazy & I’m ready to redo it also. I have really dark cabinetry & would love to go lighter & brighter & change the hardware. I’m a “tacky” Mom myself. The bad thing is if I take anything down, pics, drawings, etc, my son notices it & lets me know. Plus, I have the front & the one side covered, lol. :)

7. Gwen…Thanks SO SO SO Much!! XO, Aimee

8. Anonymous says:

Very clever idea. Something I would like to do too.

9. Donna says:

Wow! I never would guess that this is the same kitchen! It is gorgeous! I love your “new” cabinets, and the floor is beautiful! Enjoy:)

10. DELIGHTFUL CURIOSITY says:

REALLY NICE JOB ON THE CABINETS!! KUDOS ON THE COST EFFECTIVE WAY YOU DID IT!!

11. Ashley says:

Great job on the kitchen!!

I also have a stainless fridge that I cant hang anything on, so I took one of these

Cleaned it up, spray painted it to match my kitchen and attached it with super strong Velcro (used velcro so I wouldnt have holes in my wall) to my wall…and I now I can hang all kinda of stuff! Its such a great idea, and I credit Pinterest!

12. Wild Oak Designs says:

Wow…bloggers like you are such inspiration…..
    thanks
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

13. kt says:

I can’t wait to see the finished reveal. I tape pix on the INSIDE of my cabinet doors! So I can see all their lovely faces when I open the doors BUT it looks nice & neat when the doors are shut. ;-)

14. Hildie says:

I don’t think it’s tacky to have things hanging all over your fridge! I love funny magnets and cute pictures kids have drawn. It’s one of the few spaces in a house where you can just do whatever and it’s not a big deal. You can tell a lot about someone’s personality by the things people put on their fridges. When I see somebody who has a totally naked fridge I think, “guess she’s an OCD control freak.”

15. Maury Kilgo says:

OK, so you’re kinda brilliant. This is going to look so great!!!

16. Suzan says:

What caught my eye was the wall mounted microwave! Great idea!!

17. Patricia C says:

I am new to your site and have the exact same cabinets and have wondering what to do with them. I’m dying to see your finished product.

• It’s been really easy Patrica…just a little time consuming, of course!!! LOL! I’m going to finish my kitchen updates over the next couple days…I hope you’ll stop back by again and see the final results!!!! So glad to “meet” you!!! XO, Aimee

18. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here says:

This is going to be a beautiful transformation! I can’t wait to see the final results.
    Hugs, Sherry

19. Janette - The2Seasons says:

That makes a huge difference. You are very patient.

20. (un)Deniably Domestic says:

What an amazing job you are doing. I can’t wait to see more progress. ~Kelly

21. So super clever Aimee!!! It really is so amazing seeing how your kitchen unfolded into the beautiful space it is now and I love all of these great tips and tricks. Thanks so much for sharing them with us at Inspiration Friday! :-)
    Vanessa

22. April says:

It looks incredible! Love the inspiration kitchen…if only my cabinets were so messy…and most of my dishes weren’t plastic kids plates, lol, I would love to have those cabinet doors! I would love for you to stop by and link to my Sew Crafty Saturday Party!

23. Kristen Turner says:

That is so genius, Aimee! Love this idea and I cannot wait to see the final product!

24. the J in PJs Til Noon says:

Create a big chalkboard, just a bit smaller than the fridge. If you like chalkboards, that is. Framed and everything, I think it would look great right on the fridge. Are there heavy duty magnets, that would hold it? I don’t know, just some thoughts.

25. Mariaelena says:

Oh wow…this was a great idea…love it…can’t wait to see the finished project…and funny…we just painted our cabinets right before Thanksgiving (come over and check it out if you haven’t)…buy anyway, I repainted a big pin board with a beautiful frame to hang on the side of my fridge on the cabinet wall we have, but haven’t been able to do it…I love the way it looks with nothing, but I’m sure at some point I will cave and hang it…i like how it looks with nothing on the pin board, but you know how it will look as soon as I put a million papers on there…haha…enjoy your new project!!…Mariaelena

26. Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says:

I can’t wait to show my husband this! We are doing our kitchen this summer and had no idea what we were going to do with the cabinets…now we do! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

27. D says:

Oh very clever! Love this! I’m following.

28. Fabulous, it is so pretty and I love the trim, looks custom!!!
    Thanks for linking, it will be featured on Tuesday :)
    XO

29. Anonymous says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

30. Anonymous says:

My cabinets look just like your “Before.” It looks like you had the old hammered metal hinges on the outside of the door. If so, Are you going to show how you fixed this. We haven’t found a solution for ours. Yours looks great!

31. Sandy says:

Great job! I have been trying it myself, but am struggling with the edges. My cabinet doors area bit rounded so there is slight gap between the cabinet edge and trim piece. Did you have to fill that, or did yours line up flush? Any advice would be appreciated!

32. Bree says:

My question is the same as Sandy’s above. My mid-century ranch has painted flat doors with rounded edges. And I am trying to figure out how to apply molding to the edge without a weird line around the edge. Can you put up some close-up corner and edge shots of your doors?

33. Sophia says:

Love the look and it’s even more beautiful because it was done on the cheap. Did you do the drawer fronts too or just the doors?

34. Courtney J says:

We have started this process with our cabinets after seeing your post, since we bought a 50’s rancher in January. The interior is finished, but our doors are currently stacked in the garage. My husband wants to build a “frame” for the corners, so they’re all even and 90 degrees. How did you keep your corners straight? Thanks!

• Aimee says:

I wish I could say their was a science to it…we cut two pieces for the width and two pieces for the length and then attached one by one using our nail gun! They all look VERY even and strategically planned thankfully! XO, Aimee

35. Juju says:

Aimee!
    This week was Spring Break and my Hubs and I were able to knock out so much work on the kitchen cabinets. Your advice really helped. We are following almost all of the steps you outlined in your makeover.
    The underlayment was genius!!! The nice guy at HD cut 1/2 of the sheet into 2-inch strips for us, and we cut the rest of it with a couple of borrowed saws, and hubby’s miter box & saw.
    We are using our existing hinges, knobs and drawer pulls, and so far we’ve spent less than $100.00. (We have to wait until the weather up here in North Idaho warms up, but we’ll be purchasing it on sale next week.)
    I’ll be posting some progress photos on my blog, so hop on over for a sneek-peek!
    ~ Juju

36. Jackie says:

I also would really like to see a close up of your doors from the side so that I can see how they look. My doors are similiar to your doors with a rounded edge. Thank you!

37. Rachel says:

I was going to try this in my kitchen also. we have flat boring doors but they are routed on the edges. I am worried about adding the underlayment strips and having to fill in all the outside edges. Were your outside edges routed (beveled out) or were the doors squared. I couldn’t quite tell in your first door image.
    thanks!

38. Caryn S. (Scrapnsing) says:

Oh I think I trump you all on the tacky mom thing! I ran out of room on my fridge and now it’s also on the metal clad door leading to my garage too!

39. Juju says:

Aimee ~

We are DONE with our kitchen and I wanted you to see the results!

WE LOVE IT! Thanks to you for all your inspiration, advice and enjouragement!

Hugs ~ Juju

40. Jen perkins says:

I found your link on Pinterest and I am inspired!!!
    We recently bought a 1929 Tudor style cottage, with a late 80’s kitchen remodel.
    The kitchen is livable..but your cabinetry idea is awesome! I think it will
    Really help revitalize the look and make it a touch more traditional. We have vinyl covered composite
    Cabinetry , it’s white and was very modern looking 25+ yrs ago! I’m going to take it grey with chalk paint.
    Thanks again for posting your photos!

41. Stefani says:

Would love to see how these cabinets turned out! There’s no link so I can’t figure out how to get there….