04/12/12

Kitchen Remodel Steps

My Kitchen Remodel is Complete!  Here’s the scoop…

{20 Tips and Tricks to the Kitchen of My Dreams}
trim, paint, hardware, sink, faucet, appliances, furniture, flooring and accessories
  1. Frames from Goodwill
  14. Table from Crate and Barrel
  15. Bowl from Home Goods
  16. Curbside Trash Turns Kitchen Cart here
  17. 2×8 Dobby Jute Rug with Carafe Border from Pier One
  18. Simple DIY Terrariums – No Fuss Garden
  19. 8 Tips for Painting Kitchen Cabinets
  20. Curtains: Traditions Corn Yellow White Slub from Texas Susannie’s Discount Fabric -And-  Dots, White/Yellow from Fabric Diva
After a lot of hard work, our kitchen is final complete!
I love having a corner window.  I’m pretty sure this shelf is made for Tulips.
Fruits and Passion’s Cucina Duo Lime Zest and Cypress – Love it!
And I just refill the soap and lotion and keep the super CUTE dispensers.
Honey Nut Cheerios – Kix: Kid Tested Mother Approved – Quick Oats Oatmeal
Our cereal bowls are in the cabinet directly above our breakfast canisters.
I really like the granite I chose…after narrowing it down to white granites.
White River Granite looks GREAT.  It has a lot of movement which I like a whole lot.
Keurig: cup of tea for me and a cup of coffee for Stud…
every morning!  I like the K-Cup Carousel LOTS, too!
Something about Subway Tile…it calms me!

The Cabinet We Built from Scratch!
Perfect home for our microwave, pull out
covered trash can, cake plates, cookbooks and chargers!
All new lighting, too.
Do you remember what it looked like on the day I moved in!?!?
My kitchen is definitely peaceful now!
The total…will have to be another post!
 Which Room Next?!?!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Catherine says:

gorgeous kitchen! Could you tell me if the material you used to trim the cabinets has held up? I was told I couldn’t use a plywood because it could separate and the edges would look unfinished …but yours look fantastic!

2. Tina says:

sorry Aimie…I meant trim. :o)

3. Tina says:

Hi Aimie,
    I need to add the trip around my cabinet doors too…to give them some character. How did you do that? What did you use? Also, what kind of paint did you use for the cupboard doors?

4. Suzanne says:

Hi Aimee! Your kitchen is gorgeous! We are going through the exact kitchen facelift. Can you elaborate on the brand and style of hinges you used to replace the old ones? We have reached a roadblock and are finding that after several attempts at different brands/styles the cabinet doors are not sitting flush. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Suzanne

5. Steve @ CountertopsHQ says:

Absolutely amazing job on your remodel Amy. Your before and after picture is stunning. The cabinets, countertops, floors you chose wisely! Congrats on the beautiful kitchen.

6. Val says:

Love it! Did you paint the inside of the cabinets?

• Thanks Val! I didn’t — the inside was in mint condition and I feared paint would end up getting chipped and scratched. XO, Aimee

7. Amie says:

Hi!
    I love your kitchen reno! Did you use the 4 inch or 6 inch pulls from Restoration Hardware?

Thanks so much!

8. Scott says:

Aimee-
    Love the redo! Hate to see when people throw out older very good quality cabinets like yours. I have the exact same cabinets in my kitchen and you have inspired me to give them a shaker look. A few questions now that you have lived in it for a while:
    – What color white did you use for the cabinets?
    – It looks like your hinges are not self-closing, do you have something in the cabinets to hold the doors shut?
    – Do you wish they were self-closing?
    – Any regrets as far as the color, do the kids bang them up, etc.?
    Thanks!

• Hi Scott. Thanks so much for your sweet note. I love that I made mine a shaker style and a fresh coat of paint! Not a single regret several years later. We looked into making the cabinets self closing and the work it required didn’t make that an option for us. Because the look improved so much, I can’t be anything, but thankful! XO, Aimee

PAINT COLOR AND TIPS – http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/03/diy-kitchen-painting-cabinets-tons-of/

9. Our kitchen cabinets are very similar! Still working on a good before n after post on our reno. Its coming along room by room though. Great update at your house!

10. Rachel says:

Hi Aimee!
    Absolutely LOVE your new kitchen and is quite inspiring to start our kitchen project as we have a very similar kitchen to your ‘before’ kitchen 🙂 However, I do have a question… we have begun painting/updating our 1970s yellow/orange oak to white throughout the house and have selected a white/white. Would you suggest using the same white/white paint for the cabinets to keep color cohesive throughout?
    Thank you!
    RK

• Hi Rachel! I am so excited for your updates!!! I think I would stick with the same white for the cabinets, too! Love that!!! Share pics when you finish!!! Can’t wait to take a peek!!! XO, Aimee

11. Gillian says:

I love your renos. Could you please tell me the dimensions of your living/dining area? Your floor plan looks very similar to mine and I’m trying to imagine some changes in my house such as tearing down a wall.

Thanks for sharing!

12. Patrick says:

Where your cabinet edges slightly rounded like the draws? Or squared… was wondering how the strips you put on the cabinet faces married up on the edges??

13. Caryn S. (Scrapnsing) says:

Looks great! I’m in the middle of a kitchen redo ATM, we’re working on it bit by bit! My FIL is painting my cabinets (mine are white but since I have switched to wood floors I think it needs something slightly warmer). We’re doing a very pale brown, almost beige. We also got new appliances, minus the fridge, which we hope to replace in the near future. I have to say some of the things I love about your kitchen are the corner sink and window, the drawer pulls, the stove top and wall oven and the tile. Some of the things I hope to do in my kitchen. Dig that crazy brown stove in your old kitchen LOL. The 70’s…what were we thinking?

14. That looks amazing! What a transformation. I love white kitchens, they are so fresh and clean looking!

15. María José says:

Hola desde España, Alicante.
    Quiero decirle que ha conseguido una bellísima transformación.
    Soy una admiradora desde hace mucho tiempo.
    La felicito y deseo que siga haciendo más cosas bellas y que su casa luzca cada día más bonita.
    Saludos

16. Gorgeous! We are in the middle of our kitchen remodel right now, and I hope ours turns out half as nice as yours 😉 xo Kristin

17. What a STUNNING kitchen makeover. I love this!

18. Jessica Singletary says:

Just found your blog via Love of Family & Home! What a gorgeous kitchen makeover! I’m not a huge fan of granite but I LOVE yours! Y’all did an amazing job! Can’t wait to catch up on your blog….

19. Brenda says:

Your kitchen is so beautiful! I love every bit of it – the counters, the hardware, and those sweet little curtains!
    Peaceful is definitely a word that I would use to describe it too!
    Brenda

20. LOVE!!!! It takes a special eye to be able to see such fabulouse potential and then to carry out the remodel, such dedication. It is gorgeous!!! I love the backsplash too, very calming indeed. 🙂

21. Valerie says:

Aimee,
    Love your kitchen! Can you tell me the what is the white color paint you used and also the floor?
    V.

22. Danielle @ 2 Little Superheroes says:

Wow what a transformation! Incredible. I love the curtains and that little window shelf. Agree it’s totally perfect for tulips.

23. Hannah says:

I stand corrected. I just ran across the post where you routed the cabinets door.

24. Hannah says:

Am I the only one who noticed the original doors on the cabinets are not the “refurbished” ones? They look a lot like the kitchen makeover on the Southern Hospitality blog. She got hers from IKEA. What gives?

25. Melinda @ Mom on the Make says:

I LOVE the subway tile and white granite. Absolutely beautiful, fresh and uplifting. The corner with the granite shelf for tulips is too cute. 🙂 I also love the white table and chairs – Really bright and happy!

26. Odessa says:

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent information I was looking for
    this info for my mission.

27. Jocie@TheBetterHalf says:

Wow, i really do love this kitchen!
    Thanks so much for linking up. Please grab a button or link back and be sure to like us on facebook for contest updates and winners!

28. Hi Aimee, actually you have explained about kitchen remodeling deeply, I can get a good idea about it and hope to follow your steps to remodel my kitchen as well.

29. Odie says:

Nice kitchen, can u tell me what steps to paint my oak kitchen cabinet to that color, is that glossy white? I admire all your hardwork. Great Job guys! Thums up!

• Painting the Kitchen…here’s a link for the steps I used. Yes, it was a glossy white…I bought it at Sherwin Williams and the color is Luminous White. Definitely take pictures…and if you have a way, send them my way…I love before/after pics! XO, Aimee

30. Jocie@TheBetterHalf says:

Beautiful transformation! I love it all but especially the pops of yellow in the curtains and the end table!

We are running a Before and After Link party to support Habitat for Humanity, with a chance to be featured on other big blogs and win gift cards. Would love if you entered! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/2012-before-after-series/

31. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

THanks for your sweet note Valerie! Visual helps my sweet hubby, too!!! 🙂 XO, Aimee

32. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Oh my goodness…that’s too unreal! Your oven hung on for a long time!! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a sweet note Malena! XO, Aimee

33. Anonymous says:

One of the best transformation I ever seen!,It’s so find and well arrange..Keep up the good work!!!!

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

You are so kind! Thanks so much for your sweet words!!! XO, Aimee

34. Nicole says:

I love this and was thinking of giving our kitchen a pop of yellow, which is currently all white with light gray walls. I wanted to paint our kitchen cart that has a stainless steel top on it the same yellow as you have your cart painted but afraid of getting the wrong color. Can you share what brand and color this is? Thanks so much!!

• Nicole says:

Never mind! Just found the link to your DIY table…so fabulous!! Wish I could say that I got the same deal on our used cart…but considering it’s a $300 cart I got on Craigslist for $75, I’m still happy! 🙂 Nice work!

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Oh good…I’m so glad you found it! It was definitely a fun find, but I’m partial to my Craigslist finds, too!!! Have fun adding touches of yellow…it totally brightens my day! Xo, Aimee

35. Anonymous says:

KRÁÁÁÁSNA KUCHYŇA A VŠETKO V NEJ. MOOOC OBDIVUJEM 🙂

ALŽBETA

36. Jen says:

Love EVERYTHING about your kitchen remodel!! You never stop amazing me! Great job!

37. What an absolutely beautiful kitchen make-over!

The Where Women Blog Team
    WhereWomenBlog.com

38. Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest says:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. SwedishCorner-DownUnder...Pernilla says:

Beautiful!
    Love it all 🙂

Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

40. Anonymous says:

I just saw the before and after on Kristi’s blog and had to come and look ‘up close’. : )
    Wowzers! This is gorgeous and you did a wonderful job of coordinating everything. Hats off.
    Sue

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

You have totally made my night! Thanks lots for your sweet note Sue!!! XO, Aimee

41. Ruth H. says:

Wow! This is absolutely beautiful. I had to keep scrolling back and forth from the before to the afters because I just couldn’t believe my eyes! I love the colors you chose. This is the first time I’ve ever been to your blog, and I’m really excited to discover it! Your site design is just lovely.

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Thanks so much for your sweet notes!! Ruth, I’m so glad to have you visit and thanks lots for your sweet compliments! XO, Aimee

42. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Thank you SOOOO much for your sweet words! It’s so much fun sharing the process with my friends!!! You have each motivated me to keep on working to get this house updated! Lots more to go, but it is such a great feeling to have the kitchen complete!!! Hugs and Kisses to each of you for your sweet notes!!! XO, Aimee

43. Princess Kate says:

Your kitchen is breathtaking. What a fantastic transformation. It really is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

44. Jessica @ HomewithBaxter.com says:

Gorgeous kitchen!! You’re giving me inspiration for my own kitchen. 🙂

45. Stephanie Mullen says:

So beautiful…love white kitchens!!! So inspiring! I am so glad I stopped by through ‘Under The Table and Dreaming’. Have a blessed day!!

46. Mindie Hilton says:

I think your kitchen is the kitchen of my dreams! A bit green with envy over here, it looks wonderful!

47. Artsy VaVa says:

What a difference!!! I love how light & bright your kitchen is now. Good job!

48. Liz says:

I really love your kitchen! Looks SO beautiful! Very nice make over!

49. What a bright beautiful kitchen! I love your corner sink window.

50. Lisa @ MMT says:

Your kitchen looks amazing! I am slightly envious of you right now! We just bought a house and the cabinets are oak wood, but I am longing for a white kitchen!

51. Jennifer says:

Oh, I love it. I am so jealous.

52. Heather Kinnaird says:

Wow – what a difference! Gorgeous

53. Late Bloomers says:

Wow! It looks fantastic, particularly compared to where it was.
    I love the granite you chose- classic!

solongfarm.blogspot.com

54. Monica says:

What a beautiful room! You’ve inspired me to finally get working on mine…after collecting supplies and inspiration for three years 🙂

55. A Maui Blog says:

So beautifully arranged, very organized. This is every woman’s dream kitchen. Everything is in the right place. Are you a minimalist? Stopped by from UBP.

56. Debt Free Mommy says:

I am SO excited for you!!! I’ve been watching this transformation little by little, i.e. lurking, lol. I can’t believe how amazing this all is. You’ve really transformed this kitchen! I love those canisters to the left of your sink. Where did you get them? Can you please link this up to my Making Space Mondays? This is just too pretty to miss!

57. Envoy-ette says:

Oh yes- what an improvement! Love your color choice!

58. Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads says:

Aimee, your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the corner sink with the shelf above. What a wonderful place to display seasonal items or flowers. The granite is beautiful, and that cabinet that houses the microwave is my dream! Someday we’d like to modernize our kitchen, and I would pick some of the components you used.

59. Marie says:

It looks beautiful! I love the cupboards, I love the countertop, the colors, everything! Congratulations on getting your dream kitchen.

60. Taylor-Ann says:

This is to stinking cute. What a great job. I would love it if you showed it off at my new linky party @ Kampenlane.com.

I can’t wait to see what else you create.

~Taylor

61. Ellie says:

Great job, Aimee! It sure is a beautiful space. Congrats on seeing a dream come true!

62. ℳartina @ Northern Nesting says:

AMAZING transformation!! All the hard work paid off because your kitchen looks beautiful! Stopped by from Met.Monday.

63. Grace @ Sense and Simplicity says:

Gorgeous transformation! I love white kitchens so you had me as soon as I saw the cupboards, but I also love your little shelf, and the lighting, and the yellow cart. I bet you love spending time in there now.

64. Charlene@APinchofJoy says:

Gorgeous! LOVE that white granite! I laughed as I caught your last question – so true, so true!

65. Jenn says:

Looks perfect! I love your granite choice too!

66. Budget Design Girl says:

So STUNNING! Your kitchen looks amazing, and I LOVE the granite choice. What a beautiful room! Found you via Funky Junk!
    xo-Lisa

67. FRENCH LAUNDRY says:

Beautifully done!

Judy

68. amyg @ My 3 Monsters says:

You did such a great job with that kitchen. I adore your white granite countertops — I’ve always thought I wanted black granite in my white kitchen, but you may have me reconsidering . . . Thanks for sharing.

69. Because (I think) I Can says:

Amazing!! Love, love, love. And the before picture “ahhhh scary!” you must be sooo much happier in this new bright space!
    Found you at the FJI party

Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

70. Joselyn @ The DIY Spot says:

What a beautiful transformation. Love, love, love your countertops!

71. Shasta @ intheoldroad says:

Great job. I think that’s my dream kitchen too 🙂 I saw your link at TT&J’s party.

Have a good weekend,
    Shasta

72. Rebecca says:

FABULOUS! This is my first time to visit your blog. I’ve enjoyed my visit! Come by when you get a chance!

Blessings,
    Rebecca

73. Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. says:

Wow, what an amazing transformation! I love all the white with the hits of yellow. So pretty!

74. Anu@My Dream Canvas says:

Wow, lucky you. Its looks So pretty! I hope you’ll visit me too 🙂 Have a lovely weekend 🙂

75. Kate - Classy Living says:

What a transformation! That looks beautiful 🙂 This is really inspiring – my family is working on renovating my grandmother’s house, which looks similar to the way your kitchen looked in the beginning.

76. chris m. says:

Wow this is amazing!!! I am so impressed. I love the white, and how fresh it looks.

c2marcano.blogspot.com

77. Jenna says:

This looks so great! You guys did an awesome job!

78. Sarah says:

I know when we purchase our permanent home, our kitchen will look like your pre-picture. Thanks so much for showing me the potential in a kitchen space! I LOVE WHITE KITCHENS, and yours is spectacular!

79. Rosemary@villabarnes says:

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love all the light. Great tips.

80. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Nicole…I’ll pour you a cup of tea as soon as you get here! XO, Aimee

81. CAS says:

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Everything looks so fresh & cottagy. Great job!
    CAS

82. Heaven's Walk says:

Aimee – I’m having serious kitchen envy over here!!! What a gorgeous transformation!!! Love the white cabinets, white tile, and white countertops! You did an amazing job! I’ll bet that you’re doing the Happy Dance! lol!

xoxo laurie

83. Deanne says:

Your kitchen looks awesome!!!!!

84. casadeberry says:

Your kitchen looks amazing, I love your bright and happy it is!

85. Lyndsay Wells says:

I just finished a kitchen reno too – yours has turned out amazing. I love everything about it.

86. Studio Carolina says:

Amazing………..Love all of the white. I had the same original kitchen cabinets in my first home in 1963.

87. Lindsay says:

And that is the kitchen of my dreams as well. I am moving it, that’s settled. 🙂 Thanks for sharing all your awesome tips!

88. Maury Kilgo says:

Aimee, this is just amazing, simply stunning! I love the granite and the window shelf. I love the goodwill frames and the cannisters. Everything is exactly as it should be. Absolutely AMAZING job.

89. Simply Splendid LOVE says:

WOW, what a transformation!!! I am in love with white, clean kitchens. I love the subtle touches of yellow-very cheery! I’d love to cook in your kitchen!!

have a wonderful day!
    anica

90. At The Picket Fence says:

Aimee! Absolutely amazing and gorgeous! Every detail is so perfect and it’s truly hard to believe it’s the same kitchen. Great, great job!

Heather

91. Anne says:

Oh Aimee! How inspiring! and please tell me what paint color that yellow is!!! I LOVE it! My kitchen is on my list of spaces to lighten and brighten (just like every other room in my house lol)

Thanks for sharing,
    xox

92. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

That is one great makeover. So nice and bright. Y’all did a great job!

93. Kelsey Poofy Cheeks says:

AMAZING!! I love everything – what a transformation!

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Thanks SO MUCH Kelsey!!! XO, Aimee

94. Keeping it Cozy says:

It is BEAUTIFUL! You all did an awesome job with the existing cabinets. I love the subway tile… one day I hope to incorporate some into our kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration!