04/27/12

Decorating the Entry Room {Potterybarn Inspired}

The Board and Batten wall in my entry is finished!  Now onto the entry table while I scout out the right art for above my wall trim!
I decided to go with a Beach-theme for my entry table inspired by Potterybarn.Here’s a little step by step on how I prepped for the beach for next to nothing!
I was flipping through my Potterybarn magazine {during my two free seconds in the morning} and thought this was so much FUN!

Those two seconds of sitting came and went fast and it was time to take Baby B to museum school and then my older two to their fine arts school.  Then an hour break before running everyone around some more.  I always like to stop into my favorite thrift store during that hour break!  The potterybarn magazine pic must have still been on my mind because the first thing I spotted were two fishbowls…$1 total!  I put them behind the counter and shopped some more.  Tried on a skirt and two shirts and a jacket.  I loved the jacket!  Other clothes, not so much.  Browsed the children’s books and found one written by E. Nesbit and decided to give it a try…25 cents is ridiculously cheap…space: running out!
I have been seeing pretty handblown glass candleholders at all my favorite high dollar stores, but the prices were making me doubt my real “need”….until….I found a free moment one evening and hopped on over to Target.  Our store is being gutted, rebuilt and reorganized COMPLETELY.  It felt a bit like I was on vacation it was so unfamiliar and totally new!!  A perfect excuse to take my sweet time!   I ended up stumbling on these pretty glass candle-holders for only $1.99 each!  I picked up two and attached them with a ring of hot glue to give me the same look as I found at two of my favorite stores!
Here‘s a link to the rest of my FAVORITE knockoff and knockout candleholders…some are so incredibly priced it’s ridiculous!
When we went to the ocean a couple years ago, we collected tons of seashells and I’ve been putting them to good use ever since!  It’s fun decorating with things that bring back special memories for my sweet B’s!  And then there’s my random decor…like the gold framed child that I bought at an estate sale from a family that loved to travel abroad.  I just love it to pieces!
I found a huge bundle of rope for all of $3 at good ol’ Wally World!  Now I need to think of some rope craft projects because I have tons left to put to good use!

One of my favorite touches is the texture on this coral!  And I totally love the depth of placing it inside one of my hurricanes that was totally wanting to get to be used after being put away for several months!!!
The play sand was $3 from Home Depot.  They sell a HUGE bag which
is great because I have some dips in my lawn that need to be
leveled!  The craft stores sell sand for $4, but their bags are very small.
I am really enjoying making my foyer pretty!  Making it an easy-to-clean transition space between the outdoor and indoor area is so important…which is why I love my board and batten wall, and keeping mine styled with neutral layers is important because it’s totally open to the rest of my house!  My sweet B’s are loving the playful look of my beach themed tablescape…especially helping me blow out the candles!

Price Breakdown:

• 2 glass fishbowls: $1 total
  • 4 candleholders: $8 total
  • rope: $3 and some change
  • sand: $3 and some change

Total Cost: $15.00 and a chance to incorporate
memories and reuse what I had laying around the house!

Oh the possibilities…it’s almost Summer…lots of hours to play!  I can’t WAIT!  Are you totally ready, too!?!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Meshell says:

Sorry, it was not meant to be mean…..you obviously have amazing tastes and talents, was hoping it was taken in the vein of humor it was meant…..your home is beautiful and I so appreciate your website…..sorry I was so blunt….

2. Meshell says:

OK! You commented about using all the rope you bought in another craft project….do us a favor and skip the project…use the rope to tie your hands to your feet so you are not tempted to display another craft project with it….your table display had too much going on…sand, shells, rope, candles and a turn of the century photo print…. the rope was “not” really rope used in any nautical activity I have seen, it was more like twine….I have a rule…I never use “rope” in nautical decor unless I actually display the item most likely to have been tethered by that rope…it can be slightly weathered rope, never new….but had you used some wooden bobbers or glass globe floating bobbers, it would have made more sense….I like to keep photos framed in wood or weathered metal when clustering a beach theme….use your own photo from your last trip to the beach, or make it mean even more…use your first…..tablescapes are not accidental…they are planned and thought out…which gives us plenty of time for creativity….sketch your ideas first…even if you don’t sketch, no one has to see it, but you….don’t be afraid to say an item was a bad idea and take it away to replace …. try mixing it up, taking away and adding to keep your ideas fresh

3. annie: says says:

I love the beach theme.I was looking for something like this when i stumbled upon your blog.I;m using it for a bridal shower. thanks

4. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Oh my goodness Ashleigh, I’m pretty sure you’re the sweetest person EVER! Thanks for taking the time to leave me such an encouraging note! I hope you have a FABULOUS weekend! XO, Aimee

5. Ashleigh says:

I always see pretty links floating around blog land and they end up being yours so much of the time 🙂 You are so talented. How beautiful!
    Ash

6. Oh my gosh I’m in love! I just came over from Knock Off Decor and love your stuff! I too am a huge fan of anything beachy. You’ve just found a new follower:)

7. Kelly says:

Great knockoff, Aimee! I skipped the spring decorating this year, and I think beachy is the right way to go now. Thanks for the inspiration! (BTW, I came over from BNOTP.)

8. Anonymous says:

Pottery Barn , I was at the thrift store today and someone put a fern leaf pattern teapot in a spot that was not kitchen ware. It caught my eye and I turned it over and it said pottery barn so I called the local store in my area and she shared it was a clearance item for $6.00 plus and there is none to be found . I purchased mine for $4.37 today. It is unique antique white with lime green ferns and the top of th leaf has a small fern. It is growing on me at first I was not sure I would like it.

• Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

WOW! That is AWESOME! I’m glad you went with it…for $4.37, I bet you would have had huge regrets had you walked away! Sounds perfect!!! XO, Aimee

9. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here says:

Beautiful! I love the coastal style.

10. SwedishCorner-DownUnder...Pernilla says:

Lovely inspiration!
    Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

11. Crafty Mischief says:

So pretty!

12. Melissa says:

Beautiful!!

13. DIY Show Off says:

So pretty, Aimee! I’d think ‘vacation’ every time I’d walk by and smile! 🙂

14. Robin says:

I Love the beach look too. I never thought of fish bowls before but they look great and I like that your sand has some color and texture to it. You will find plenty to do with that leftover rope too. Perfect look for summer and you didn’t spend “Pottery Barn” money!

Robin
    Robin Flies South

15. LDH says:

Beautiful! I love the neutral tones and the textures. Lovely!

16. Jenny says:

My mom has stuff like that. She’s like a shell addict!! But these are really nice. I’ma send her this, she’ll love it.

17. ✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life says:

Beautiful knockoff! I love seeing seashells in a home. I have them all over mine.

Dee

18. Maria says:

I love how beautiful and summery this looks! Love all the different candle holders, and all the little details!

19. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

Great looking vignette. Did not know sand was so cheap at HD.

20. Nicole@Thrifty Decorating says:

Wow…that’s an amazing knock-off! I like yours better! 🙂

21. Anne says:

Nice job! It looks so much like your inspiration.

xox

22. Debra @ Common Ground says:

really beautiful. It’s beachy, but vintage looking…Love it!!

23. Laura from Top This Top That says:

Loving your set up. I too have been “beaching it up” around my house . I so love the look of the extended vacation! 🙂

24. Maury Kilgo says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! It makes me want to go sit on the beach.