Photography Friday {Looking Cute and Skinny}

April 13, 2012 by 26 Comments

I’m one of four girls!  Growing up, my sisters and I learned every trick in the book to photograph each other looking our very best: Cute and Skinny!  We are all married now and combined have eleven babies!  We put our younger year “How to Look Photogenic” research to good practice these days!  I’m excited to share our camera tricks with you!

1. Relax and know you are beautiful all the way from the inside-out!  Focus on the people around you and don’t worry too much about the camera.
  2. Straighten Up.  Picture yourself a tall and lanky model with great posture!  Stand up real tall and suck in your gut.  THEN take a deep breath so you aren’t stiff.
  3. Turn a Bit.  Be a ballerina, placing your feet in third position- one foot in front of the other then turn your body 45 degrees away from the camera, leaving your head and shoulders facing the camera!   Sounds complicated, but it’s really not…stand up right now and give it a try!
  4. Weight on Back Foot.  Modeling 101.  Put your weight on your back foot and bend the knee of your front foot slightly.  This will make your legs appear long and your hips slim!  This is a great posture for everyday life!
  5. Angle Your Face.  Leaning slightly towards the camera will give you the appearance of a long neck and tilting your chin down just a bit will help you avoid too much chin in the picture!
  6. Hand on Hip.  Take your hand and place it right above the pelvic bone or right about there.  Keep your fingers natural and pointed slightly upward….bring your elbow forward and call yourself a model!  This pose helps underarms less prominent, broadens your shoulders and narrows your waist!!!
  7. Below the Camera.  Speaking of chins, get the camera above you!  Find someone taller or have someone stand on a chair!  The best way to hide double chins is to have someone shoot your face from a few inches above your head.  You will be looking up just slightly which will improve your neck line and make your eyes more open.  This is my favorite tip!
  8. If it MUST Be Done.  If you’re taking pictures with your family or of an awesome landmark and the camera has to be shot from a low angle, use your legs!  Point one leg into the center of the frame and get the photographer to shoot looking up your body…this works sitting down or standing up.  Trust me, it really is flattering!
  9. Smile FOR REAL!  Fake smiles stink!  Don’t paint on a forever frozen smile!  Instead, when the camera is pointing your way, give a little giggle and then freeze it for a brief moment…another giggle…freeze!  It’s so much more natural that way…and it always makes me laugh FOR REAL hearing myself giggle at absolutely nothing!
  10. Beware of Shadows!  And if you’re behind the camera, be sure to avoid shadows on the faces of those you’re photographing.  Shoot in great lighting and when needed use a Reflector Pro or a large white poster board to bounce the light!
Did you try the position yet!??!  Here’s how your feet should be positioned!!!

Comments

26 Responses to “Photography Friday {Looking Cute and Skinny}”
  1. Awesome advice Aimee!! I’ve also discovered the joys of the photo tool “insta-thin”. LOL! :-)
    Vanessa

2. Such good tips Aimee! I will be using these :)

3. FIVE YEARS Later I still catch myself doing that! LOL! At five months I think it’s still sorta acceptable!!! I wish I were around the corner, I’d LOVE to come over and drive your family crazy and take tons of fun pics for you!!! XO, Aimee

4. Oh Jo-Anne…I totally doubt that!!! One thing I know for sure…you’re a GREAT bloggy friend!

:), Aimee

5. Love these tips! I find there’s a certain energy I channel when I have my picture taken. It’s hard to explain other than to say you need to have complete belief in your own fabulosity (no matter your age, weight, etc) and just let it shine. I’m so glad to be following you Aimee – you are terrific.

6. Michelle says:

Great tips! I don’t really like having my picture taken…I’ll have to try some of these the next time someone wants to take my picture! :)

7. Little Bit says:

Oh my gosh Aimee, I am going to print this! I hate getting my picture taken, and after reading this, I so totally do every pose wrong! I’m going to practice, with this in hand. Thank you so much! Little Bit

8. Chelsea says:

Thanks for sharing these great tips!!

9. Shabby chic Sandy says:

Everybody is always trying to look good in pictures–this is a great combination of tips! I just posted portraits of my daughter and her boyfriend today..at their age every angle looks good:)

10. susan@avintagefarmwife says:

Wow! Thanks for sharing these Aimee.

11. I'm Busy Procrastinating says:

Great tips! I am sooo un-photogenic, so I need all the help I can get. And I’m usually the one behind the camera, so I rarely have photos of me anyway, and my hubby isn’t so great at capturing candid moments. Maybe I need to have him read this post so he will be able to remind me of how to pose when it’s time for him to turn the camera on me.

12. Robin says:

My daughter and her friends have these tips down to a science (the facebook generation always has to be camera ready!). Another tip they use is put your hands on your hips to make your arms look better (it works!) Thanks for sharing!

Robin
    Robin Flies South

13. Michelle says:

Best.Post.Ever.
    You are amazing.
    That is all.
    Michelle

14. Bonnie @ Uncommon says:

Thanks for these Aimee! i have had many of those “Chandler engagement photos” from Friends! ;) I just stiffin up as soon as the camera comes out! Will try these!!

15. What fantastic tips and a gorgeous blog! Found you from Six Sisters – new follower

16. O my goodness, I love it! These are great tips. I’m getting to an age where I feel like I take terrible photos. I’m definitely going to keep these tips in mind. I’d love it if you’d share this at Whimsy Wednesdays! We go live Tuesday night at 8 EST.

17. waldenbunch says:

I’m thinking you’re going to get a lot of hits on this post! Great, great ideas. I still have little people (children) in my house that take my picture. Sometimes I make them stand on a chair. Such vanity!

18. Shiloh says:

Lol, I’m 5 months pregnant, so I need all the help I can get.:) Unfortunately, my hubby is about my height. I guess he’ll be standing on a chair most of the time that i need pics.:)

19. Jenny@NorthwestLovelies says:

These are such great tips! I had to get up to practice! We’re having family pictures taken soon, so I’m glad you shared these! :)

20. The Vintage Chateau says:

Thank you, thank you! Great tips!
    Karee

21. Great tips! Thanks! I need all the help I can get! :)

22. I have 20 pounds to lose, then I will use these tips ( giggle) xo