04/19/12

Simple DIY: Creating a Window-Pane Mirror

Remember these Mirrors?!?!
I used them for my Halloween and Thanksgiving Mantels.
I’ve actually had them for about five years!
Originally they were a medium Oak color from Target,
but within a week they turned….
I decided they’ve been a basic taupe color long enough.
I used notebook paper…it was most convenient and blue tape.
Then I rolled white kitchen cabinet paint
to cover both of the mirror frames!
With the mirror painted white, I used a washable
marker and drew a rough draft of my newest trim idea.
 Stud cut some trim pieces
and then I attached them with liquid nail.
I love the window pane look of these mirrors!
And how did we hang them!?!?!?
Check Out the Next Picture…
All credit goes to my sweet mom-in-law,
my blog consultant, one of my best friends, an amazing decorator!
Turn your picture or mirror frame to the back side….
Use a piece of blue painter’s tape to mark the length
between both holes.  Grab the piece of blue painter’s tape…
And using a level, place the tape evenly on the wall where you want your
art work, or mirror hung.  Hammer a nail into the top of both edges of the tape.
 If you’re hanging more than one art work, or mirror, repeat!
 Can you guess what’s going below this mirror!?!?
Hint:

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Hanging mirrors and artwork is one of my biggest phobias and I am going to give this a try. Thank you!

• You’ll love it Sandra!! Glad you stopped by for a visit — I hope you have a GREAT week! XO, Aimee

2. Scott says:

Great idea! Anything to make hanging easier is good in my book. Thank you.

3. Stefanee says:

what type of trim is that? where could i find it? super cute!

4. I love how you added the trim pieces. You’d never know the mirror didn’t look that way originally. Great job, and great trick.

5. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Sorry I’m so late replying! The only thing you’d need to worry about reflecting is the reverse side of the trim…you’d want to make sure it matches the top! I think the liquid nails would not be visible!!! Excited for your bathroom updating! XO, AImee

6. Anonymous says:

What a great idea!! Love it! Do you think liquid nails would work if I wanted to put wood trim around a plain, flat mirror that is in our bathroom? Do you think the liquid nails would be seen from the reflection in the mirror?
    Any ideas would be much welcomed!
    Thanks!

7. Ruth says:

The addition of the trim is fabulous. I love window panes. Your tip for hanging pictures is so great. Can’t wait to try it.
    Ruth

8. suzyhomemaker says:

I love your mirrors. Very inspiring. And it’s great that you reused the mirrors instead of just buying new.

9. g*rated says:

brilliant idea! so simple but the result is stunning. i really want to make some of these for my house! we’d love for you to link this to our Sunday Best link party going on right now. http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunday-best-link-party_22.html
    -marie

10. What a wonderful idea …the mirrors look like little windows …just awesome!

The Where Women Blog Team

11. Heaven's Walk says:

Hey! That tip was the easiest one I’ve ever seen! Thank you sooo much! Love your mirror transformation, too! Sweet!

xoxo laurie

12. Nelly@DGInnovations says:

Mirrors look Fab! I love repurposing! Why throw it away if it can be used again! Oh and the tape idea is GENIUS!!!

13. Tam says:

Great tape tip – never thought of that! You are sooo good!

14. Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com says:

Thanks so much! You are all so sweet to stop by and leave me a note! I’m glad you like the mirrors and I’m real glad you like the tape tip, too!!! Tight hugs to each of you! XO, Aimee

15. Jana@Transformations From the Heart says:

Very cute and I love your bottles that you did. I’m gonna have to try that one out someday.
    I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award today. When you get a chance stop by my blog to read all about it. Thanks and look forward to all your crafty post!

16. Nicole@Thrifty Decorating says:

Brilliant!! So much easier that marking up wall….guessing…and hanging a crooked picture! 🙂

17. Lindsay says:

This is genius! I have got to make one of these! Thanks for sharing–pinning this!

18. Deanne says:

That looks so easy! Great Job!

19. Maury Kilgo says:

These look great! Awesome idea!