Creative Home Decor and Craft Projects Using Burlap

May 18, 2012 by 25 Comments

Home Decor and Craft Projects Using Burlap
Craft Projects for Spring!
{Jute and Linen, too}

Potterybarn Knockoff Mat for Frame:  Cut an X in the burlap, then fold
the burlap over your mat tightly.  Use a hot glue gun to secure the edges down.
I love the texture that these burlap mats add to these architectural prints!

That Mommy Blog

Simple, yet stylish bag: A totally simple DIY project.
Using Burlap, Stencils, Fabric Paint and Webbing found at Fabric Stores.

Designed by Ariane Dutzi Blessing Board: Isn’t this great!  Add stickers to burlap and frame it!  Use a dry erase marker to change up your list as you’re reminded of the many blessings in your life!

Less Than Perfect Life of Bliss

Layers of Burlap Framed to Hold Bills and Important Paper.  Brilliant!

Organizing with Burlap

DIY Project Network

DIY Burlap Garland – Interchangeable.  All this is vinyl letters ironed onto burlap triangles and two grommets along the top of each.  Create lots of flags and change out your banner message often.

Burlap Garland @ItsOverflowing

ItsOverflowing

Burlap Coasters:  I think Little B would enjoy making these coasters and then paint or glue an applique on top.  So CUTE!

Black Kats Design

Burlap Placemats:  Stenciled on words are so much fun and add just the right amount of design to make them really stand out.

Cottage and Vine

Burlap Utensil Holder:  Great accent to a table setting.  Place two pieces of burlap on top of each other.  Stitch up three sides with a zigzag stitch!  Embellish the burlap if you’d like!

Three Years of Death

Fringed Tablecloth with Knotted Ends: Don’t you just love the texture that burlap adds to a table.  I love how the knotted ends gives such a finished look.

Cottage and Vine

ItsOverflowing Burlap Features

Monogrammed Painter’s Drop Cloth Table Runner: Details here.

Jute Garland for Any Season:  Jute always offers a warm texture to a room and combined with a seasonal find, it makes a fast, impressive garland.

It’s Overflowing

Burlap Jewelry Organizer: I love how this jewelry organizer has dual purpose, both keeping jewelry organized and easy to find AND is such a great decor accent!  Love this!

Songbird

Burlap Earring Holder with Aqua Frame

Positively Splendid

Burlap Covered Chair:  I want a grain sack chair somewhere in my house.  I never find the grains sacks at my antique stores so I may need to stencil a similar design.

Ette Studios

Spring Burlap and Felt Banner: This gorgeous Spring Banner was bought at Target, but wouldn’t be too hard to copy.  A layer of burlap and a layer of felt, ironedtogether with Heat ‘n Bond!  Add letters to each flag with fabric paint!  So cute!

Debbiedoos

Burlap Storage Box: Recycle a diaper box by securing the box with gorilla tape then hot gluing burlap tightly around. Awesome, right!

Under the Table and Dreaming

Ruffled Linen Garland:  Weave long strips of linen on a wire.  Twist both ends of the wire to keep linen in place.  You can make a wreath in the same way and accent with rosettes to fit the season.

Beautiful Nest

Drop Cloth Covered Ornament:  Embellish with a button.

It’s Overflowing

Boy’s Room Burlap Lamp Shades: Wrap a lampshade with burlap using fabric glue to adhere. Trim the top and the bottom and embellish by stenciling your favorite letters or numbers with fabric paint.

Beneath My Heart

Hula Fringe Burlap Lamp Shade: Overlap strips of frayed burlap starting at the bottom and adhere to shade with a hot glue gun!

Made in a Day

You can Print on Burlap: This project is so cool!  I need this framed art in my laundry room when we do our remodel!

Domestically Speaking

More Printing on Burlap Ideas!!!  I love the results and it’s really easy!

Print-on-Fabric-Using-a-Home-Printer-Its-Overflowing

It’s Overflowing

Monogrammed Linen Burlap Pillow: Sew a simple pillow and use a stencil and fabric paint to create a monogram!

Greige Design

DIY Ballard Design Memo Board:  All the details are found here.

Comments

25 Responses to “Creative Home Decor and Craft Projects Using Burlap”
  1. what fantastic projects – I want to try them all:)

~Heather

2. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage says:

Awesome burlap projects for sure!! Love them! :)

3. Isn’t burlap great? I love the burlap ruffled garland! I think I may need to make one! Thanks for sharing some great ideas Aimee! :)

4. The Vintage Chateau says:

So many great ideas! I’ve been working on some burlap tablecloths that I plan on sharing soon. Thanks for more inspiration!
    Karee

5. Tam says:

Where do I start? I love them all!

6. fiona anderson says:

Love this post – so many great ideas !

7. Thanks so much for posting this!!! I had to pin it! :-) I’m looking to use a lot of burlap in my new house, so this is PERFECT!
    I want to make some burlap curtains for sure.

8. René says:

Thank you so much for the feature! Burlap possibilities are endless :)

9. Elise says:

Cute! Love the photo frames! I have a few burlap bags that I’m having such a hard time deciding what to do with! :)

10. So many great ideas… where do I even start?!

11. Thanks for the shout-out! Off to check out the other amazing burlap projects.

12. Thanks for including my burlap coffee sack jewelry organizer.
    It’s a wonderful roundup and I am proud to be in it.

13. These are great! Does anyone know if you wash burlap does it get softer and does the smell go away? I am trying to imagine the smelly burlap I have as a pillow or place-mat…..

14. amy kendrick says:

I am now in love with printing on burlap. I made this cute fall sign inspired by the laundry sign. http://www.thesonrises.blogspot.com/2012/09/fall-kitchen-sign.html

15. Jessica says:

Thanks for sharing all these wonderful ideas! I love burlap and have been wanting to use it for something, but haven’t been able to make up my mind. It’s so versatile and adds wonderful color and texture it’s hard to choose where and how to use it!

16. thank you for highlighting these great ideas for burlap. i have a few burlap bags from the hazelnut shells we use in our garden. i want to save them and make something interesting, now i have some ideas!

17. Jeannie-JB says:

Really Really great collection of projects. Love them – pinned many of them. Found you on My Romantic Home. Thanks for sharing!

18. Stephanie says:

I would like to know step by step instructions on how to make the garland please

19. Peaches says:

I was once told in a fabric store that burlap (their burlap) was covered in kerosene and it was not a good idea to use it for clothing. Is there some that is not, since you are using some on tables?

20. sandy says:

Aimee,

Wow! First of all, I want to thank you so much for all of the amazing projects you contribute to our blog and pin to our pinterest. J’aime (i love) (pun on your beautiful name…)

I always look forward to your posts, and I virtually always personally click on them to see your amazing creativity, or compilations!! Please keep up the amazing work!!

This latest gathering of burlap projects is so inspiring to me that I can’t pick my favorite, though I love the lampshade, the burlap “knotting”, and the garland…. please keep pinning and posting so I can keep following.
    warm regards,
    sandy sandler

21. Great post! I’ve been thinking of making some curtains out of burlap, and loved seeing all these other burlap projects here!

22. Mixed Kreations says:

This is a great collect of burlap projects. I really love the count your blessings and the little burlap bags. So cute! Love the burlap flowers on the laundry sign. Thanks for sharing these wonderful ideas.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] Itsoverflowing – Home Decor Using Recycled Burlap […]