DIY Personalized Canvas Art Tutorial

May 4, 2012 by 20 Comments

Here’s a simple tutorial for making a personalized silhouette canvas all you need is 2-packs of 12×12 canvas, blue acrylic paints {I chose glossy}, a couple sponge brushes, and vinyl!
First: I sketched three pics…since I’m going Beach-Themed in my foyer…ocean life was my pick!  Think about what your mother loves! Birds, animals, plants, shopping!?!?  Find a picture you like and sketch it!  It’s definitely not hard to do.  If you haven’t tried sketching before, give it a try, just be sure to draw lightly until the end so you can erase as often as you need! (But if you totally can’t sketch check out this awesome cheat sketch technique…you’ll love it).
Our Beta ‘Bubbles’
Coral
Octopus!!!!
After sketching my pictures, I cut the contact paper to the same size as my sketched art. I cut the contact paper {vinyl would work great here, too} to the same size as my sketched art and then taped the four sides of the sketch to each side of the contact paper.  Using scissors, I followed along the edge of my sketch with contact paper taped underneath until I had the sea life cut out of the contact paper.  {Side note: The contact paper curls a lot which sorta bugs, just a little annoying.}  I peeled the backing away and adhered each to a 12×12 canvas!

Carefully, as to not lift the contact paper while painting, I used my sponge brush to paint each canvas a slightly different shade of blue.  The canvases soaked up the paint very quickly requiring two thick coats.

When the paint was dry, I lifted the contact paper carefully.  They looked great!   In a few spots the blue paint had bled into the white.  Easy fix!  I used my favorite chalkboard markers {here}!  Mine was leftover from another chalkboard project I did in October.
  • After you apply your tape or contact paper, in this case, paint over the contact paper and rest of canvas with gesso, or white paint. Let that dry, and then paint your blue. You will have “sealed” the edges of the paper, and have less seepage. Peel it back VERY carefully. When you use tape for a design on your walls, seal the edges of the tape by painting some of the base color over the edges of the tape. Or a clear matte finish clear medium.
Oh yes…it’s just as I’d imagined!  Simple and fun!  Have you noticed I’m totally loving shades of blues!?!  I’m also loving decor at a certain store….can you guess which one!?!?  I’ll give you a hint: I used their sea life as my inspiration while sketching my pictures!  Have you seen similar images anywhere!?!?  Leave me a comment with your guess!!  I love making knockoff crafts with supplies from my favorite craft store!  What’s a silhouette that you could make for your mom that she would absolutely love!?!?  Northwest Lovely’s canvas art turned out great, too!
If you didn’t see my Board and Batten post, it’s here!

Comments

20 Responses to “DIY Personalized Canvas Art Tutorial”
  1. I always use Satin…easier to clean little fingerprints! :)

2. Shyanne says:

I love BLUE too! I need to get some canvases and pick a few objects to “sketch”. Found you a Tatertots & Jello :)

3. DIY Show Off says:

Super cute! I love that you made the silhouettes yourself (I used a “Silhouette Cameo” for mine). You’re so good and contact paper was a great idea! Love it!

Enjoy the weekend, Aimee!

4. Jenny@NorthwestLovelies says:

Thanks for the shout out Aimee! :) Your canvases turned out fantastic! I LOVE the blues! This is such a great and easy project that I’m trying to figure out where in my house I can do it again! :)

5. This is so beautiful. I was thinking of doing a similar theme/colors to redo my bathroom. The blues are especially beautiful, and I love that you were included your own little fish. I would love it if you would stop by and share at Lines Across.
    I hope to see you soon,
    Rachel

6. marissa says:

This turned out great. I hope you’ll be linking this up at my Wednesday What We Wore and Made Link party

marissa

7. Natalia says:

Oh this is great, I love it! I am going to have to try something like it, but I can’t draw, so maybe print something! Thanks for sharing!

8. Kathy says:

These are very very cute! I love them. I’m thinking of some small ones for our front beachy theme bath!
    I do have one hint that might work with these. It def. works when painting walls. after you apply your tape or contact paper, in this case, paint over the contact paper and rest of canvas with gesso, or white paint. Let that dry, and then paint your blue. You will have “sealed” the edges of the paper, and have less seepage. Peel it back VERY carefully. When you use tape for a design on your walls, seal the edges of the tape by painting some of the base color over the edges of the tape. Or a clear matte finish clear medium.

thank you for sharing !!!! I enjoy your posts!

9. Alice says:

I love this easy project its awesome and beautiful. I cant wait to try it myself. Great and inexpensive DIY project to decorate ur home the way u like.