Helpful Paint Tips: To Do and Not To Do!

May 3, 2012 by 32 Comments

When I find furniture for $15, it’s next to impossible for me to keep on walking.  This was the steal that went home with me during our neighborhood garage sale.  Definitely needed a little work, but it’s solid and I always look for pieces that allow for extra storage in my house.  Three drawers in my foyer made this little dresser golden!
While I was updating my kitchen recently, I used a roller and applied some of the same primer and paint onto this dresser.  My entry is also a hallway so I definitely wanted a color that would be neutral, bright and airy.  White paint was definitely the best option for this spot!  I’m fast at work to complete my foyer, so this morning I decided it was time to finish painting around the knobs!  When I bought these knobs a few weeks ago, I was so excited and put them on right away!  This morning, I decided rather than remove the knobs to paint, I’d try a couple of the paint tips floating around the internet and see if they were great solutions to simplifying painting!
If you follow me on FB, you totally know where this is going!  I wrapped my knobs with aluminum foil and placed a rubber band around the entire paint can so that the rubber band would run along the radius of the paint can and offer easy access to wiping off my paint brush — both online tips that I’ve seen all over pinterest!  The aluminum foil kept ripping and wouldn’t stay put around the edges where it was most important to be covered….AND as I went to wipe my brush the second time against the rubber band…paint flung off the rubber band and all over my shirt and shorts!  I don’t know if I missed a step or something…I have three kids, it’s possible…but these tips just weren’t working for me.

What I should have done…

• Turned my clothes inside-out while I was painting like I usually do!
  • Removed knobs or covered the knobs with press and seal, instead of aluminum foil, it really stays put, according to my FB buddy, Aimee…seriously Aimee this makes sense!
  • Used a hammer and awl to punch holes all around the ‘lip.’ Then as you wipe the brush on the side, the paint drips back down inside…Thanks Suzie for the comment below!
  • And should you ever find yourself in a similar predicament…here’s a little tip that helped me a lot today…A little Goo Gone, a paper towel, and a lot of scrubbing helped me get out ALL the paint from my clothes!  Phew!  {I would do this before the paint dries…and test a small area of the fabric first}.
As usual, I splurged on the hardware!  Anthropologie this time!  I couldn’t resist these Mercury Glass knobs!  Above you can see I added a touch of blue paint for a bit of interest!  I used a small paint brush to add the blue paint and when it dried, I covered it with a thin coat of my white kitchen paint.
Here’s another before picture!
And here it is sitting pretty in my foyer with my Potterybarn-inspired, Beach Tablescape!
Next…a little tutorial on the art I made for
above my new Board and Batten Wall in my foyer!

Comments

32 Responses to “Helpful Paint Tips: To Do and Not To Do!”
  1. Linda says:

I just discovered your site a few minutes ago & I’m already hooked. I absolutely love your fearlessness and creativity. You’re quite inspiring!

2. I'm Busy Procrastinating says:

Gotta love Anthro for awesome knobs! Thanks for trying out those paint “tips” for us. It’s amazing the number of things that go round and round the ‘net that don’t work in reality!

3. Michelle says:

Georgeous peice of work and kudos on your choice of knobs!!! As I read about your rubberband painting tip mishap, I had an immediate flash of deja vu. This didn’t happen to me, but I have had way too many such incidents with various tips, that I have developed the ability to ‘see into the future’ and anticipate everything that could go wrong. So, I opted to use the rubberband in conjunction with a wooden paint stirrer, placing it first around narrower handle on one end, then stretching it under the paint can and looping it onto the other end of the stick. Not only do I not have to worry about ‘plinking’ paint everywhere, the extended non-handle end provides a nice brush handle rest. Works great for me. I hope this improvised tip helps you and your readers in the future.

4. Stacey says:

Gorgeous!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

5. Kay says:

I love this dresser and what value it has in your entry! Love the knobs!! I love to paint – anything! It is instant gratification if everything goes well. At a recent painting class (pictures not walls) the instructor told us he uses oven cleaner to get paint out of his clothes. It works, just use the usual precautions with oven cleaner.

6. katie says:

It looks amazing! I keep hoping to paint some of our old furniture. Did you sand / prime it first? thanks Katie

7. Sinea Pies says:

OK…maybe I should just go back and re-read (guilty as charged for speed reading)…but what kind of paint do you use on furniture? Yours comes out so smooth and glossy. I’m sure not every paint would.

As everyone else has pointed out, the knobs totally make it. Very worthwhile investment. You have a masterpiece, there!

Blessings,
    Sinea
    Ducks ‘n a Row

8. Randi says:

What kinds of paints did you use? I’m doing my first dresser project and I have no idea!

9. Scott says:

That really is an amazing transformation. Painting can be a pain sometimes. Thanks for the tips.