Helpful Paint Tips: To Do and Not To Do!

May 3, 2012 by 33 Comments

When I find furniture for $15, it’s next to impossible for me to keep on walking.  This was the steal that went home with me during our neighborhood garage sale.  Definitely needed a little work, but it’s solid and I always look for pieces that allow for extra storage in my house.  Three drawers in my foyer made this little dresser golden!
While I was updating my kitchen recently, I used a roller and applied some of the same primer and paint onto this dresser.  My entry is also a hallway so I definitely wanted a color that would be neutral, bright and airy.  White paint was definitely the best option for this spot!  I’m fast at work to complete my foyer, so this morning I decided it was time to finish painting around the knobs!  When I bought these knobs a few weeks ago, I was so excited and put them on right away!  This morning, I decided rather than remove the knobs to paint, I’d try a couple of the paint tips floating around the internet and see if they were great solutions to simplifying painting!
If you follow me on FB, you totally know where this is going!  I wrapped my knobs with aluminum foil and placed a rubber band around the entire paint can so that the rubber band would run along the radius of the paint can and offer easy access to wiping off my paint brush — both online tips that I’ve seen all over pinterest!  The aluminum foil kept ripping and wouldn’t stay put around the edges where it was most important to be covered….AND as I went to wipe my brush the second time against the rubber band…paint flung off the rubber band and all over my shirt and shorts!  I don’t know if I missed a step or something…I have three kids, it’s possible…but these tips just weren’t working for me.

What I should have done…

• Turned my clothes inside-out while I was painting like I usually do!
  • Removed knobs or covered the knobs with press and seal, instead of aluminum foil, it really stays put, according to my FB buddy, Aimee…seriously Aimee this makes sense!
  • Used a hammer and awl to punch holes all around the ‘lip.’ Then as you wipe the brush on the side, the paint drips back down inside…Thanks Suzie for the comment below!
  • And should you ever find yourself in a similar predicament…here’s a little tip that helped me a lot today…A little Goo Gone, a paper towel, and a lot of scrubbing helped me get out ALL the paint from my clothes!  Phew!  {I would do this before the paint dries…and test a small area of the fabric first}.
As usual, I splurged on the hardware!  Anthropologie this time!  I couldn’t resist these Mercury Glass knobs!  Above you can see I added a touch of blue paint for a bit of interest!  I used a small paint brush to add the blue paint and when it dried, I covered it with a thin coat of my white kitchen paint.
Here’s another before picture!
And here it is sitting pretty in my foyer with my Potterybarn-inspired, Beach Tablescape!
Next…a little tutorial on the art I made for
above my new Board and Batten Wall in my foyer!

Comments

33 Responses to “Helpful Paint Tips: To Do and Not To Do!”
  1. Oops and I love those knobs.

2. LOVE! The knobs are perfect :)

3. It looks gorgeous!! I saw similiar knobs in Home Goods too. I just love them!

4. Lindsay says:

Oh wow, this is beautiful! Amazing job & great tips! Love, love those knobs. You were right on with those!

5. Can’t get over the transformation of that dresser! It’s fabulous.

6. It’s beautiful Amy! And you know, everytime I paint something and don’t change into painting clothes, I suddenly end up with a new set up painting clothes :)

7. Looks beautiful and love the new knobs!

8. Our Pinteresting Family says:

Gorgeous!!

9. Jen says:

Awesome! Love it and perfect spot too!

10. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here says:

Great transformation! Love the knobs.
    xo, Sherry

11. susan@avintagefarmwife says:

Love the dresser! I love Anthro knobs too and have them on several things at our house. If I tried the rubber band tip, I would have paint ALL over the place. Turning your clothes inside out when painting-Now that is being creative!

12. Sometimes those shortcuts just don’t pay off! I LOVE those Anthro knobs!!! I just may have to splurge on a few of those to vintage up a newer cabinet in our bathroom. Thanks for sharing!

Your cabinet looks amazing!

13. Maury Kilgo says:

Those knobs are awesome! Perfect for that piece. $15 would be hard for anyone to pass up!

14. Beautiful transformation. Your tip about getting paint off of clothes, though, is priceless…will try asap.

15. Charlene@APinchofJoy says:

Awesome! The knobs are perfect and well worth the splurge.

After trying some viral Pinterest tips only to have them fail — I’ve developed a theory: The more enthusiastic the original comments on a pin offering a “simple solution”, the more likely the pinner has never actually encountered a situation in which the pin would be usuable. In other words, great enthusiasm over a kitchen tip that will change your life means the pinner only eats a home cooked meal at mom’s. Just a theory —– lol! Sorry about the paint on the clothing!

16. I don’t think there is enough GooGone in the universe to get out all of the paint in have on clothes! I am soooo messsy when it comes to paint. I’m so glad you told us about the tips “gone bad.” Your dresser turned out awesome and those mercury glass knobs are just perfect for the piece.

17. Gorgeous, Aimee!! Those new knobs truly make that piece special! Thanks for the paint tips, too. I just wear my usual paint-splattered clothes when I’m working on a piece. That way I don’t care how much paint I get on them! lol!

xoxo laurie

18. Patti says:

This is lovely – and a foyer is the perfect place for a piece like this – a great catch-all!!

19. Oh my goodness, I forgot to mention that didn’t I! Thanks for pointing that out! Yes, the veneer was completely cracked…I used a chisel to easily remove the rest of the veneer on the bottom panel of the dresser. I was a little timid at first, but it came off perfectly and effortlessly! Thanks so much for asking and for your sweet note! XO, Aimee

20. Linda says:

I just discovered your site a few minutes ago & I’m already hooked. I absolutely love your fearlessness and creativity. You’re quite inspiring!

21. I'm Busy Procrastinating says:

Gotta love Anthro for awesome knobs! Thanks for trying out those paint “tips” for us. It’s amazing the number of things that go round and round the ‘net that don’t work in reality!

22. Michelle says:

Georgeous peice of work and kudos on your choice of knobs!!! As I read about your rubberband painting tip mishap, I had an immediate flash of deja vu. This didn’t happen to me, but I have had way too many such incidents with various tips, that I have developed the ability to ‘see into the future’ and anticipate everything that could go wrong. So, I opted to use the rubberband in conjunction with a wooden paint stirrer, placing it first around narrower handle on one end, then stretching it under the paint can and looping it onto the other end of the stick. Not only do I not have to worry about ‘plinking’ paint everywhere, the extended non-handle end provides a nice brush handle rest. Works great for me. I hope this improvised tip helps you and your readers in the future.

23. Stacey says:

Gorgeous!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

24. Kay says:

I love this dresser and what value it has in your entry! Love the knobs!! I love to paint – anything! It is instant gratification if everything goes well. At a recent painting class (pictures not walls) the instructor told us he uses oven cleaner to get paint out of his clothes. It works, just use the usual precautions with oven cleaner.

25. katie says:

It looks amazing! I keep hoping to paint some of our old furniture. Did you sand / prime it first? thanks Katie

26. Sinea Pies says:

OK…maybe I should just go back and re-read (guilty as charged for speed reading)…but what kind of paint do you use on furniture? Yours comes out so smooth and glossy. I’m sure not every paint would.

As everyone else has pointed out, the knobs totally make it. Very worthwhile investment. You have a masterpiece, there!

Blessings,
    Sinea
    Ducks ‘n a Row

27. Randi says:

What kinds of paints did you use? I’m doing my first dresser project and I have no idea!

28. Scott says:

That really is an amazing transformation. Painting can be a pain sometimes. Thanks for the tips.

29. Rachel says:

Looks great!! I noticed that the veneer on the bottom of the front was half missing in the before photo – did you just remove the rest of it?