06/13/12

Simple and Affordable Curtain Panels

Yesterday, I posted my first ‘Virtual Window Shopping’ {here}.  I had a blast shopping at IKEA, but the real purpose in going to IKEA was to pick out some new curtains.

I’ve had IKEA’s Stockholm Blad curtains in brown for several years.  I used six panels at my two story house {here}.

Two Story House – Living/Dining Room

Then when I moved into my rancher I purchased four more panels for my rancher {here} and switched to curtain rings {here}.  My living room, dining room, kitchen nook, and family room is very open concept, thanks to some demo work when we first moved in {here}.
Rancher Living/Dining Room
After a year of living in our rancher home, I started searching for a larger rug for the family room. Hardwood floors are awesome, better than I imagined, but definitely require great rugs.  Within a month of looking, I found a great rug that I absolutely love {here}.

Rancher Family Room
What happens when you make a simple fix to a room…it leads to a series of other changes!  As much as I have loved my whimsical IKEA curtains, it is time for a little change!  I searched through lots of options and here’s what I’ve found.  Ikea, Target, Walmart, West Elm, JC Penney, and Bed Bath & Beyond are all great places to turn to when you’re hunting for curtains.
Rancher Family Room

I think the best look for my family room will be crisp white simple linen or cotton draperies. I prefer hanging my curtains high on the wall, so the custom fit of Ikea curtains works great for me.   Hanging curtains higher makes the ceiling look higher b/c it draws the eye up.  And for length, I prefer my curtains to just dust the floor.
Having been very impressed with the high quality of IKEA curtains, here are the three curtains I’ve narrowed my search to…VIVIAN Pair of Curtains, white {here}.  These are $9.99 for a pair…I’m serious.  They are thin curtain that defuses light softly.  They have a hidden tab that works on curtain rods and the curtain can easily be hemmed to the desired length with an iron-on hem strip.

MERETE Pair of Curtains, white {here}.  These are usually $24.99 for a pair, but were on sale for $19.99 for both panels.  Heavy fabric helps to reduce sound and keeps out light.  Eyelet heading works on curtain rods.  The curtain can easily be hemmed to the desired length with an iron-on hem strip.

Merete

AINA Pair of Curatins, white {here}.  These are $49.99 for a pair.  The curtains lets the light through but reduce direct sunlight.  These curtains have a slot, hidden tabs and gathering tape. These are pre-hemmed at 98″ and are most similar in texture to my current curtains.

Aina

Where do you like to buy your curtains?!  Have you used any of the ones I considered!?  And if the rain holds today, I’ll spray the last coat of paint on my new floor lamp {here} and share the results with you real soon!!!UPDATE: Curtain Reveal {How to Hang Curtain Rods}

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Sarah says:

I am still hunting for another pair for my living room…I would pay for them!!! If anyone wants to sell!!

2. Melissa says:

I know you probably don’t have any more of the old IKEA curtains, but if you did I would be interested. We have a set already, but need a matching set for the dining….or else we’ll have to find new curtains altogether. 🙁 Love you design by the way!

3. Karen Palluzzi says:

If you still have any of these available and would like to sell them I would be interested-thanks!

4. Rachelle Morris says:

I am needing 2 panels myself for when we move into our new home. I am willing to pay for them if you still have any on hand. Thanks!

5. Kate Myers says:

I am desperate for your old IKEA curtains! I need 8 pairs for my family room that we are in the process of remodeling. Is there any chance that you still have them and are willing to sell them? I am standing in IKEA right now and am in total disbelief that they have been discontinued. So sad!

6. Bonnie says:

Oh Amiee! I’ve been searching for those Ikea Stockholm panels you have already! My search brought up your blog. I see that you were thinking of changing them out for white. If you do and would like to sell the old, please email me. I haven’t been able to afford them new and need two pairs.

I have been visiting your blog and love the things you did with your two story and the amazing makeovers in the rancher! You definitely have a new follower!

7. Dee says:

I found myself needing 300 inches of panels 108″ long. They are not cheap! I looked in hotel supply sites and found what I needed as fabric shower curtains. Not only were the right size (150 wide in each), they were light and airy at about $10 each and look great.

8. Andrea R. says:

I am dying for new curtains, or just window treatments, as all of our accordion blinds have been breaking in the last few months. I constantly dream of being able to afford these IKEA curtains that you took down for a change (your decorating is lovely, btw). Any chance you still have those IKEA curtains and want to send them to me to be reused in a low-budget home? I’d put them to good use!

9. Nina says:

I have the same curtains ~ love them ! Ikea is the best place for curtains when in a budget !

10. Nikki says:

Love! The new rug looks great and i absolutely love your Ikea Stockholm blad curtains. If you ever feel the need to sell them, I’m your girl. Seriously let me know!

11. Darla says:

You cannot know how helpful this blog post was. We just knocked out walls to make our home open concept, we have the brown leather sofa, and I’d like to use the Stockholm BLAD curtains from IKEA. It was so helpful to see what you did. Would it be possible for you to share the paint colors you used with the BLADs? Thanks much!

12. Sara B says:

I really love the green colored walls! What name and brand?

13. Anne says:

Ikea is definitely my preference – I love the fabrics and the price can’t be beat!

14. gardening sheds says:

Thanks for the your great help!

15. Rachel (Lines Across) says:

I love this post. I have been planning on getting white curtains for my bedroom and now you have saved me some time shopping! (Plus I love the tip of hanging the curtain rod higher).
    Rachel