Home Tours: Mid Century Modern Home Tour

July 13, 2012 by 46 Comments

Ready to be amazed!?!  You’re going to love this Dreamy Dwelling: Mid Century Modern Home Tour.  A few months ago, I introduced you to a precious family in the process of adopting from Ethiopia!  They are some of our best friends and I’m so excited that Sarah has sweetly invited us to tour her gorgeous home!

This beautiful 1956 rancher home has tons of mid-century ‘modernized’ charm.

Sarah had her brick exterior painted, the perfect shade of gray, and with guidance from her brother-in-law, a landscape architect, her home has beautiful landscape and curb appeal.   I love her modern door with a vertical row of circular Capiz.

One of her home’s first updates was replacing all of the windows.  Some of the windows were lengthened by removing bricks and opening up the space, a perfect solution to allow more natural light to sweep through their home.

Sarah softened the modern lines of their exterior with great pops of color and over-sized potted plants.

This home has a great casual layout, complete with 2 living rooms.  This is her family room.  She uses IKEA’s popular EXPEDIT shelving unit to organize her children’s toys.  And the sectional is also from IKEA, the Ektorp couch fits the shape of the room perfectly.

The wood desk in the back of the room was a re-purposed dining table, a handmade gift from her brother-in-law.  The curtains are re-purposed dropcloths, the perfect solution to her tall, wall to wall windows.

The ottomans were an inexpensive find at Target and I love that they are multi-functional: tabletop, foot rest, storage, and extra seating.

Okay, I know I should have warned you before you saw this picture to take a deep breath first!  Gorgeous, right!  You wouldn’t even believe it if you saw the before pictures.  This was once a closed in kitchen, dreary with dark cabinetry, grimy appliances, and appalling tile countertops!  The built-in past the dining room table was original.  It was given a modern feel when painted white.

The new kitchen boasts gorgeous honed Carrera marble counters and over-sized island.

Complimenting the Carrera marble and stainless KitchenAid appliances with gas range is s white subway tile backsplash with dark gray grout.  Love it!

The bright, modern kitchen is contrasted with Antique Brown hardwood floors.  Sarah’s floors were the inspiration for my hardwood floors when we first moved into our rancher.

These pictures hardly show how large this dining room is.  Sarah found the perfect solution for this over-sized space:  A Restoration Hardware Farmhouse Salvaged Wood table…with two 15 ” extension leaves.  I’m loving those hydrangeas!

Her second living room opens up to her huge treed backyard with wall to wall windows.

Sarah home schools her three sweet kids and I’ve always envied this bonus space off her laundry room.  It’s perfect for crafting and schooling.

Sarah’s master bedroom shows much larger than its actual square footage with her selection of minimal, modern furniture.

Are you recognizing those drapes!?!?  I’m telling you great minds think alike!

Her bathroom remodel absolutely blows me away!  Chiseling away every bit of the 4-6 inches deep concrete holding the tile waist up throughout the bathroom and all the way up to the ceiling in the previous shower area was so much work.  Hauling the tile away was equally labor intensive!  Sarah’s husband did all the demo work and then together they designed a magazine-perfect master bath.

Sarah’s little girl’s bedroom, aka, one of Little B’s bestest friends bedroom is darling!  Sarah is a master of storage solutions and in both of her children’s bedrooms she re-purposed a portion of their closets to be used as a desk and extra storage space.

Her boys’ room is so large…perfect for legos, car playing, and sword fights.  Sarah and I both have different variations of Pier 1 Kids bunk beds.  Neither of us can believe they closed all of their stores!

The second bathroom is also work of art.  I love the industrial lighting complimented with Quatrefoil framed mirrors above the pedestal sinks.  And I totally appreciate once again Sarah’s purposeful design in adding additional storage between the sinks.

Sarah’s music room gets lots of use.  If you have guitars, a piano. and several drum sets, you know real well that it’s GREAT to have this designated space for instrument storage and usage!

Her backyard is huge and at one time, housed a trampoline, playscape, and zip line…and there was still tons of room to run around and play.  I love their private lot with huge windows overlooking this lush yard.

The shade from these mature trees are a huge treat here in Texas.

The addition of this grass lined patio gets a lot of use for both family dinners in the evenings and as they host fun parties throughout the year!  Awesome weekend project, right!

Thanks so much Sarah for sharing your home with us!!!  Amazing, don’t you think!  Which room is your favorite!?!?  Sarah’s home recently sold, with help from friend and awesome realtor, Jeff Anderson.   They’re back to work, completely remodeling another new old home with tons of potential!

More fabulous House Tours (here).

Comments

46 Responses to “Home Tours: Mid Century Modern Home Tour”
  1. Sarah Yoder says:

Love home tours and this one is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. (I look at those drapes EVERY time we are at Ikea…one of these days they will come home with me!) LOL

2. Aimee says:

I know, right! She is so talented!!! XO, Aimee

3. Kim says:

Gorgeous home. Love that kitchen and that great island. What is the lawn made of? It doesn’t look like grass.

• Aimee says:

I could use an island like that for sure! The lawn is St. Augustine mowed real short. What kind of grass do you have in your area Kim!?!?

4. micupoftea says:

Nice homey touches :)

5. FABBY says:

Yeah, I can clearly remember those homes raancher style from the 60’s too and this one looks great with modern touches and nice decorating. Terrific kitchen! Thanks for sharing. Good luck to your friends on adopting..God bless their good hearts.
    FAABBY

6. Jenny@thelavendermagnolia says:

Wow! When I was growing up in the 70’s and 80’s we joked at how outdated mid-century modern houses were. Now they make me drool.

I love the minimalism in her decorating, especially with all of the kids! Amazingly beautiful home!

Jenny

7. Anja says:

What a beautiful home! Great colors and simple, classic lines. Love the twist of color in the living room or the farmhouse table! I can only hope that it’s not always that clean or I’ll have to shamefully stand in the corner ;-)

8. Terry Moore says:

I have always hated the look of these houses but this just took my breath away. So well done that even I could live here. Just stunning and so liveable!

9. Ok, that’s a GORGEOUS home – I love, love, love the family room and the dining room and the kitchen and the second bathroom. She has a wonderful mix of texture and colour, modern and traditional, country and city – well done!!!

10. Shannon Fox says:

Can’t. Speak. Stunning!!

Pinned to my home tours board to look at again later ;)

11. Janel@hatingmartha.com says:

Love love that kitchen! Swoon! What a lovely home!

12. That kitchen, the drapes, two living rooms … such a gorgeous home!

13. What a gorgeous home! I really enjoyed the inspiration.

14. Liz says:

I really loved the layout of that house and she really did do a great job retaining the flavor of the midcentury while updating and beautifying!
    Liz

15. Debra says:

I love home tours and this was fun! Beautiful house !

16. Tamsyn says:

Sarah’s house is amazing. And that kitchen is simply breathtaking!! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

17. Christie says:

This is so good-looking! What a transformation! I love her kitchen and that marble…ahhh!!! Coming over from WOW us Wed! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

18. Beautiful home and gorgeous kitchen!

19. What a beautiful house! Every room is better than the next!

20. Lovely home, but my favorite part is the kitchen! Love everything about it!

21. This house is just beautiful! I can’t believe what she has done with the place to make it so out of the ordinary! Stunning!!

22. all these elements put together into one stunning package – well well done!

NORTHERN COTTAGE {http://www.NorthernCottage.net}

23. A beautiful, transformed home. In addition to the kitchen, I’m loving all the fabulous rugs! You’ll have to show us her next remodel.

24. Rhiannon-Baked In The South says:

Love this! Thanks for sharing! We would love to have you link up with our party!

25. Tabitha says:

Stunning! Truly gorgeous. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen mirrored closet doors that I’ve liked, lol. That bathroom is amazing!!

26. Donna Wilkes says:

Thank you so much for the great tour. Loved all the inspiration since I live in a 1950-built cape.

27. kristin says:

What a gorgeous home! Every room is just fabulous, thanks for sharing.
    XO
    Kristin

28. I love your home and your style. It’s so nice to have every room complete. I feel like mine is always a work in progress. Beautiful job!

29. Resa says:

I loved taking this tour. Such a classic, ranch style home – reminds me so much of my childhood. Very nostalgic feelings but lovely, modern upgrades. Thanks for sharing this!

30. Linda Perkins says:

I love these pics. Very good job!! Where can I find the leaf print drapes. I have seen them on TV and in other pics. Anyone know??

31. Such a lovely home! (My faves are the marble island and the living room rug.) Thanks for the tour.

32. the domestic fringe says:

Gorgeous house. Love everything about it.
    ~FringeGirl

33. Love this! Especially the orange floral rug in the family room.. where is it from?

34. Karen says:

I love the painted brick? Does anyone know the paint color? We are painting our blonde brick on our 1960’s house next week and I would Love to know the color!!! Thank you so much!

• Aimee says:

It’s called Bedford Gray, a Behr color. They had it color matched at Sherwin Williams. It’s a color that Martha Stewart uses on many of her properties so you might find more pics if you google it! XO, Aimee

35. Jenna says:

GORGEOUS! That kitchen is spectacular!! Love it!

Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

36. tanya says:

Nice… I specially liked the exterior and the master bedroom. I am surely getting mirrors on my cupboard inspired by her, for that more-space look!

37. Debra says:

Wow! What a beautiful home. I love a mid-century ranch. They just don’t build them like that anymore!

38. What a gorgeous home! That dining room table is amazing, and every room looks so cozy and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

39. Jenny says:

Wow! That is a gorgeous home! I loved everything about it- start to finish;) I wish them well with the adoption… what wonderful people!

Jenny from diywithjenandb.blogspot.com

40. Beautiful home! Love how she pulls it all together! Thanks for sharing!