How to Easily Hem Curtains Without Sewing, New Cushions

July 25, 2012 by 15 Comments

I am loving my IKEA grommet curtains.  I briefly mentioned how I hem curtains without sewing in my post about how I clean the gunk off of my iron, but realized this may be a helpful post in itself!  It took a little while for me to get used to my new plain white grommet Merete curtains initially after having pattern fabric throughout my living areas for so long.  I’ve adjusted and am loving my soft, airy new drapes.  IKEA drapes are so affordable, it’s almost ridiculous…the only tradeoff, you have to custom hem them…thankfully they provide the supplies, iron-on adhesive.

Easily Hem Curtains Without Sewing:

1. Measure how much to hem while the curtain is hanging (don’t pull too tightly when measuring).
  2. Pull your ironing board over to the window and measure the portion to remove using your ironing board as a craft table.
  3. Use starch to crease along the ‘to be hemmed’ portion with your iron (while they’re still hanging).
  4. Iron the adhesive strip along the fold (yep, still hanging).
  5. After a portion has been hemmed drape the curtains down in hanging position and double check that you are happy with the length.
  6. Don’t iron over the hem for too long at first, if you gently seal the drapes with the hem strip and it’s not quite right, you can pull the fabric apart and readjust (I’m speaking from experience).
  7. My curtains don’t hang “perfect” …but they look great.

Did you notice my new chair cushions?!?  I showed you these during the Virtual Window Shop {IKEA} we recently took together!  Remember I was loving the Ritva Chair cushions….guess who made a trip back and picked some up?!?  Well actually I went with the Justina’s, but super similar and super comfy.  Perfect on my Crate and Barrel table.  I love the velcro wrap attachment – all chair cushions should be designed like this!  Check out more household tips!  And if you have a favorite household tip you’d like featured on It’s Overflowing, send me the details at itsoverflowing {at} gmail {dot} com.  XO, Aimee

Comments

15 Responses to “How to Easily Hem Curtains Without Sewing, New Cushions”
  1. we have the same chair cushions! we got those at IKEA around Christmas…love those!!

2. My daughter purchased Ikea drapes and added a patterned stripe to them. Super cute, and so affordable. See showed a sneak peek of them today on her new blog. richtastevanillacake.blogspot.com
    Love your chair cushions!!

3. Emily says:

I love everything about that picture above – the curtains, the chair cushions, the yellow accents. I’m a new follower – found you through Debt Free Mommy blog. Can’t wait to snoop around past posts!

4. Emily S. says:

Awesome! I was thinking of purchasing the very same curtains myself.

5. debbiedoos says:

My kinda girl right here. I use that stuff all the time. Even make pillows no sew with the adhesive. thanks for sharing..I am pinning now.

6. Kristen says:

Your timing could not have been better with this post. I bought a set of IKEA curtains that I was planning on hanging in my son’s room this weekend.

7. I am currently working on no-sew curtains for my bedroom. This post was a huge help! Thank you!

8. This little project is on my to-do list this weekend and I was going to take the curtains down. Not anymore! I actually have the same curtains but in a shade of grey. Thank you for your help!! Loving your blog and will enjoy following you:)

9. I am in LOVE with all things IKEA – great tips

10. Jelli says:

Great tips, Amy. I was just considering using a similar iron-on to hem a skirt I just bought, but which has lost the hem. Boo. Found your post from the Sundae Scoop. Thanks for sharing.

11. Dee says:

That is really nice. I hope you will link this up and any kitchen inspired posts starting Wednesday at The CSI Project. The challenge of the week is kitchen makeovers and decor.
    Come on over each day for a tutorial then the competition begins Wednesday.Each week is a new challenge.
    Come on over!

12. Jessica says:

Great tips! I love no-sew ideas!!! Stopping by from A Bowl Full Of Lemons!

13. Christine says:

Great tip Aimee!! LOVE the new cushions!

Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!!

14. Melissa says:

I thought the iron-on hem was swell…until I washed the curtains and all the hem turned into a sticky mess of partially-hemmed curtains. Booo! Now I have to hem them all over again. Have you washed them this way yet? I’m wondering if it just happened to me.