How to Make a Simple Puppet Theater

July 17, 2012 by 13 Comments

I’m excited to show you how to make a Simple Puppet Theater!   I was chatting with one of my three sisters the other day and her three boys were having a blast with a puppet theater she made!  Awesome idea, right! Here’s my rendition, using a $10 microfiber sheet set (any old sheet would work…I just had it set in my mind that I wanted a dramatic backdrop)!

Using a thread ripper, I pulled apart the top folded seam of the flat sheet by removing the stitches on both sides.

Then I slid the tension bar through the now open sides of the top portion of the twin size flat sheet and set it up in the opening between my family room and dining room.  Gotta love those pocket doors!

I cut three sides of three openings: the top, left and right sides, leaving the top of each opening untouched.  The sizes are totally flexible!  Along the back side of the edges that may fray, I applied liquid stitch. Liquid stitch won’t make the preexisting fraying disappear, but it will keep the fabric from further fraying and falling apart!

Use Command mini strips (I love how the grippers lock in place) to pull away any slack on either side of the puppet theater.  Then, grab some pretty scrap fabric (made it myself) and cut it large enough to overlap on either side by one inch and 6-8 inches in length.  I used a hot glue to adhere the pretty fabric to the top and along the sides (careful not to hot glue below the cut or you won’t be able to tie your curtains on either side).  Cut a slit up 3/4 of the length to make two separate curtains, then add a strip of ribbon to the top of each curtain with a hot glue gun.  Tie the ends with thin ribbon.  And that’s all there is to it!

Let the show begin!

Thanks for the idea, sis!  My sweet B’s are having a BLAST!

Is summer flying by way too quickly for you, too!?!  Are you making lots of fun memories with your sweeties!?!  Awesome vacations!?!?  Creative crafts!?!  Here are a couple more Summer Fun ideas…others coming soon!

Comments

13 Responses to “How to Make a Simple Puppet Theater”
  1. micupoftea says:

Simple, but oh so much fun! Awwww, childhood :)
    Enjoy your week ~

2. Jo-Anne says:

Wow this was awesome I have never tried to make a puppet theater but you make it sounds so easy…….

3. Jodi says:

This is absolutely brilliant. I’m so going to do this, and I’ll link back. I need to go to Goodwill to buy an old sheet. Thanks for your creativity! Jodi @ http://www.meaningfulmama.com

4. Jeannie says:

This is such a fun idea! My little guys would love it!

5. Christine says:

What a FUN idea!!! You always have the best ideas!! I bet my girls would love a puppet theater!

6. Oh my gosh, my kid would just LOVE this – thank you I’m Pinning and the next rainy day we’re all over this!

7. I love it. Pinning! What a great idea for the kids!

8. Kara says:

Such a simple, but great idea! Love the picture of the three of them behind the scenes. So cute!

9. Amy Renea says:

TOO CUTE! How much fun for the kiddos?!?

10. SO cute … what a simple way to occupy the little ones!!

11. sketchedsoul says:

Wow, what a great idea! The one you made looks awesome.
    Thanks for sharing. Will definitely add to my to-do list :)

12. Shiloh says:

Oh, wow, what fun! I bet your kids had an absolute blast with it!