07/06/12

How to Make a Pom Pom Ball with Yarn

I’m excited to show you how to make a pom pom ball with yarn!  I love flowers that look like pom poms…Mums, Allium, Chive Blossoms, Dahlias, Billy Buttons, they’re all perfect for spring and summer!

Every year I host a Mother – Daughter tea party.  The 2012 tea party theme was ‘Making Lemonade,’ with lots of yellow touches, a couple of fun activities, and a great variety of delicious food!   I showed you yesterday an overall picture of the Tea Party Decorations.  The party was SUPER simple {I think all crafting should be SIMPLE…life’s too busy for complicated}, but pretty!  Little B and her cousin made Pom Pom flowers and they turned out darling!  Here’s how to make a Pom Pom flower with yarn, using items found around the house.

I have a great little tool – you could make your own out of cardboard —
or I often just wrap my yarn around a fork or around three of my fingers!
{the length is 4″ and the width is 2″ and the slit in the middle is important}
Your width should be about 1″ larger than the width of your desired pom pom.
Begin wrapping your yarn around the width of the tool 75-100 times.
{More for thinner yarn and less for thicker yarn, the pom pom’s density
depends on the number of times the yarn is wrapped around the tool}.
After you reach the desired depth of yarn, take an 8 inch piece of yarn
and wrap it around the entire bundle of yarn, starting at the bottom,
open portion of the tool, wrap the small yarn piece around the top of the
yarn bundle.  Make 3 tight knots to secure the center of the pom.
Remove the yarn from the pom pom too…
Slip a pair of scissors into the looped portion on the left
and on the looped portion on the right of the yarn bundle…
at this point, you have a pom pom with wild ends!
Trim off 1/8′ – 1/4″ of the yarn, all around
your cute pom poms, keeping their circular shape.
If you want to make the pom smaller and
denser continue trimming free hand.
Attach the pom poms with hot glue to sticks
from the backyard.  Place in vases and tie with jute twine!
The flowers that I used on the Tea Party plates, were
twigs from a craft store’s floral department.
Most of my milk glass vases are thrifty finds!
What do you like to collect from estate and thrift sales?!!?

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Elisa says:

Could you tell me roughly how big these pom poms are? Like 1.5″?

2. Amy says:

Adorable! Where can I get the pom pom tool? Thanks for sharing!

3. I have been crafting for about 35 years and make everything from wood decorations to tiny tree ornaments. I make things using wood to Styrofoam and any thing in the middle. I have made pompoms for years. and have talked to a lot of crafters. So now I will ask you….All pompoms are made about the same, some are big and some are small… now after it is all made and you have trimmed it.. you can pull one of the yarn pieces and it will come out…..We are trying to figure how to make them secure so they can’t be pulled apart… Do you gave any answers or is this a question that will haunt us….. You have great items on your site
    Craftyshak
    Carol

• In the past I have added a dot of glue (elmers or hot glue gun) to the center to keep the tie from loosening. Hope this helps!!! XO, Aimee

4. Little Bit says:

This really brings back memories from when I was a little girl. Your yellow ones look like real mums in the photo… I love the natural branches with them. I’m pinning this. Little Bit from http://www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

5. Caroline says:

Love this idea, and your flower tool. Please can you tell me where you bought the tool from?

• It was from TJ Maxx, but if you google American Girl…it was one of their products, you may find it on amazon or ebay! XO, Aimee

6. jennifer rizzo says:

very cute! Love how you clustered them.Thanks for joining in on the pom pom party!

7. Simple yet beautiful… Love the yellow, would brighten up any corner!

8. Julianne says:

I found your blog through your pin-up on YHL, and I love this idea! I just had my wedding, and I wish I’d known about these to have people throw them at us. These are adorable, and I’m totally going to go home and make some!
    Thanks

9. Super cute idea! The flowers look like dandelions to me (which I actually love – even in my yard!) Now I just have to think up a reason to make these. Think my boy will help? Mmmmmm….

10. Abbie @ Five days...5 ways says:

These are TOOOOO cute, Aimee!

Featuring you tomorrow, girl!

We really need to chat soon, too! I’ve been so stinkin’ busy with this crazy life of mine that blogging (or at least blog promotion) has definitely taken a back seat, but I need to get back on the stick.

How’ve you been?

11. These are just adorable! Thanks for the tute.

12. Amazing! I am throwing a baby shower this month and I will have to use these to decorate. I am stopping by from Delightful Order. Hope to see you at http://www.trueaimeducation.com. Thanks for sharing!

13. Jennette @ Netties Expressions says:

Wow! This is fabulous! I love any sort of yellow pom pom style flower! And now I can make my own thanks to you! 🙂

Have a wonderful week!

14. Natasha says:

I love making pom poms, but i use the finger method to make mine. I have never thought of making them into flowers!! they look great so realistic!!

would love it if you could share this on my link party – http://serenityyou.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/serenity-saturday-47.html

15. stacey says:

Aimee, these are really cute and the most original idea i’ve seen using pom’s!! Thanks for joining the party!

16. So cute! And, they look fun to make.

17. Jennifer Dawn says:

What a gorgeous decoration! I would love it if you stopped by my blog and linked this up to my brand new link party going on now. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2012/07/little-bird-told-me-link-party-1.html

18. These are so lovely! I adore your white vases

19. six sisters says:

These are darling!! What a fun idea! Thanks for joining us for “Strut Your Stuff Saturday”. We loved having you and hope you’ll be back soon! -The Sisters

20. These are just so sweet! I love the way you’ve styled them 🙂

21. Amy Renea says:

darling! Fabulous tute! the photo with all the white vases adn yellow ponms is to die for! love-love-love!

22. andrea says:

Excellent tutorial and I truly love your little vignette with your lemon yellow pom poms!

23. So cute! Brings back memories of when my granny taught me how to make tassels. I made like a million of them, lol. White pom poms would look cool and reminiscent of cotton branches! Might have to try.

24. Those are super cute! Love it!! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. I hope to see you again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

25. Katherines Corner says:

Sweet. I used to make a lot of pomp pom goodies when I was young using a piece of cardboard. Yours are terrific! I’m drooling over the milk glass too. xo

26. Ami w/AliLily says:

OH MY GOSH!!! This is so adorable! Well, the pom poms are adorable and then to Mums is fantastic! GORGEOUS!! Ya know, I have to say I’ve had a pom pom tutorial sitting in my draft folder for MONTHS! I added them to my Spring Mantel and thought it would be a great idea to do a tute post. BUT, yours is SO MUCH BETTER! I used a piece of junk mail to wind up my yarn! LOL I love this! Going to pin it. 🙂

27. Jessi says:

Super cute Aimee, I just love them! I used to love making pom poms when I was younger, but I never did anything with them, just left them as little balls 🙂 Turning them into little mums is a great idea! I’d be thrilled if you want to share this at my current link party! http://practicallyfunctional.net/2012/07/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-6/

28. Your pompom display is just so cute! Love all your milk glass. I remember making pompoms with my grandma… thanks for bringing back that happy memory.

29. Those are totally adorable! My 13 year old daughter is wanting to redecorate her room to a more “grown-up” style. These would be precious with her new look! I am going to let her try to make a few!

30. Bliss says:

Adorable. Even though my daughters are past tea party ages with me they have recently been making paper flowers. I’m pinning these because I know they would like them.

~Bliss~

31. jeri says:

What a blast from the past. This is the same technique we used for making the tassels on our majorette boots in high school. I guess no one had invented your cute little gizmo yet, but I guarantee a piece of cardboard works quite well. Between rainy parades and football field dirt, I made A LOT of tassels in my day. Thanks for making me smile.

32. I love this vignette it is so simple and striking

33. I am a new follower of yours. I remember making yarn pom poms as a kid (we used to tie them on our roller skates, yes, I am dating myself!) That is a very clever idea. I would love to make some to display in a set of bud vases I have.

34. These are beautiful! Love how they look in the white vases!

35. Love these! I used to make pom poms as a kid but have never thought of using them like this!

36. This would be so easy to duplicate…next time Little B has friends over I plan on cutting a shape very similar with the above measurements and letting them all make pom pom flowers for their rooms! XO, Aimee

37. Hi Aimee… I am a preschool teacher (and blogger) and these will be FABULOUS for mommy gifts!! Thank you for the tutorial and the adorable display (you know…so my brain didn’t have to envision it for myself) 🙂

38. Aw, so cute – I love pom poms!

39. K Coake says:

So very cute! I am planning a tea part for later this month…I am pinning these as I think they will get used! Thanks!

40. Lindsay says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I have wondered how to make these! Super cute, friend!

41. Andrea says:

These are cute. I’m definitely making these for a baby shower I’m planning.

42. Amanda - Small Home Big Start says:

A friend of mine just did this for her wedding. Her bouquet was various colours of pom poms on sticks and then there was a pom pom on each guests’ seat to throw instead of confetti.

I talked about it on my blog: http://www.smallhomebigstart.blogspot.ca/2012/06/toronto-island-wedding.html