Mother Daughter Tea Party Decorations

July 5, 2012 by 48 Comments

Here are tips for Mother Daughter Tea Party Decorations.  I have been hosting a mother-daughter tea party for seven years.  Every year, I choose a different theme and have different age-appropriate activities for the girls.  I showed you my yellow party inspiration pictures a while back, I still love these!  This years theme was ‘Making Lemonade’ and throughout the dining room and living room, I had touches of yellow decorations.  I incorporated leftover fabric from my kitchen drapes as table runners.  I didn’t bother sewing the fabric, just folded it in thirds and tucked the rough edges so they wouldn’t show.

I chose to lay the runners width-wise, rather than length-wise so I would have more focal points on the tablescape.  On the table, I spread my favorite china.  Most of the girls that attend are now eight or nine years old, but I’ve been setting the table with china since they were two.  China is meant to be used and enjoyed.  In my seven years, I have had a combination of tile and hardwood floors as I have hosted and not one piece of my fine china has been broken.  I love that by using it, Little B will love it for more than it being beautiful, it will hold years of precious memories as well.

The two sizes of cake stands stacked are from Pier One.  The ruffled edges are darling, I use them for everything.  For this tea party, a pile of lemons were on top of yummy lemon cupcakes with buttercream frosting.

Mother Daughter Tea Party Decorations

Little B and her cousin helped me make 50+ pom pom flowers, which was a whole lot of fun.  Here’s a tutorial for making pom pom flowers, it’s a perfect summer activity for little girls.  They were a great compliment for the plate settings, and also a cute touch as a centerpiece.

I picked up the topiaries from Michaels in January and used them on my Spring Mantel.  Adorned with a yellow ribbon, I used them to add some height to our tea party tablescape.  The darling little yellow butter dish is a favorite of mine from Anthropologie. I used mini ramskins with tealight candles, a textured white tea pot with a dainty bird atop that my sweet friend gifted me a few years back, and I scattered the house with candy dishes, tea cups from Little B’s growing collection.

I’ll give you more of the details on our Making Lemonade Tea Party activities very soon, but for now, if you didn’t see this year’s ice breaker activity, Made by Me Whimsical Flower Bows, you can click on the link for that simple tutorial.

Mother Daughter Tea Parties are so much fun and Mother Daughter Tea Party Decorations can be found everywhere!  I hope that seeing the simplicity of this table setting inspires you to dream up your own.

What do you and your daughter enjoy doing together?  I’m always looking for new ways to help deepen my daughter and I’s bond.   I want to lay a very solid foundation in our relationship while Little B is young.

Comments

48 Responses to “Mother Daughter Tea Party Decorations”
  1. This is too cute Aimee! I love the yellow : ) I might have to use plastic for my kids though… they still throw everything, lol! Love the pom pom flowers. I just made some of those : )

2. Rasonda says:

This is so cute Aimee!! My daughters would love this. You are such a cool mom… they are lucky to have you.

3. Sarah says:

Oh this is so sweet! Sadly, I have three boys, but maybe this could work with my nieces when they are a bit older? {SO fun to think about!} I love that you put your table runners across the width of the table, genius! Psst….I think we may have the same china pattern. I love it! It’s goes with everything :)

4. Aimee, this is the sweetest thing ever! Your table is just adorable. I have been planning a backyard tea party for my girls all summer. We’re having it in August. I hadn’t thought to invite the moms though, so I’ll have to consider that idea. Just too cute, thanks for sharing!

5. This is adorable! What a fun lil tradition, love it! Thanks for all the great decor tips! Cheers!

6. ellen b says:

How sweet is this! Love the idea of making this a yearly tradition. This setting is so crisp and clean and refreshing. Your guests are so darn cute!

7. Anja says:

That’s just adorable! Even though I usually don’t like yellow that much, your table setting has such a positive, energetic look while being elegant! (Did someone put the girls in outfits that match the table setting or do they look that cute by accident? ;-)

8. I love yellow! What a great event for all. Little girls love being treated as grown ups. I love the teacup full of lemon drops. You could sweeten and lemon you tea with them!

9. Jenny@NorthwestLovelies says:

This is so beautiful! I love all the white and the pops of yellow! Thanks for the reminder about using china- mine is still in boxes from our wedding 5 years ago. I should start doing this with my girls!

10. Ohh this is so fresh and cute! I love all your details! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday on my blog and share you ideas with us.
    Karin

11. Jenny says:

I am in love with this sweet, happy party idea! I would love to do it too someday. And our tablescape is perfection!

12. Lauren says:

How lovely! What a beautiful way to introduce ladies young and old the the beauty of a tea party — your decorations and theme are so great! I host tea parties several times a year and love seeing how others pull theirs off!

13. Lindsay says:

What a fabulous idea for little girls. And I loved how you decorated. Such a beautiful day!

14. Bliss says:

Those are four of the cutest tea-partiers I’ve ever seen!

~Bliss~

15. What a gorgeous table and such a nice tradition (I wish I had thought of it when my daughter was young).

16. Michelle says:

This is so pretty I love the crisp white and bold yellow. Just beautiful. Those lemon sweets look great in the little tea cup too, love it all :)

17. april says:

So beautiful! I just love your idea of placing the runners across the table–and all the sunny yellow is just plain FUN!
    Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

18. Judy says:

Beautiful table and so nice to share time with your daughter. I love to help my daughter set tablescapes at her house and spend time together. I am your newest follower, come join me.

19. So cute! I’m over the the Pinning blog party, but what is funny is I already follow your blog and had saw this when you first posted it! I’m so pleased you were ahead of me.

20. This is adorable.I love the colors and the theme! I am having a little girl soon and I can’t wait to have tea parties with here. Great job as always!!

21. Lauren @mercyINK says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! everything about it. And yellow & lemons are just so cheery. You’ve definitely inspired me to do this for my daughter and friends… such an awesome idea.
    Hope you’ll link up to Hearts&Homes at http://www.mercyinkblog.com again… you can link up thru Friday :)
    have a blessed weekend!
    lauren

22. micupoftea says:

The white and yellow is so crisp and pretty. How wonderful that you use the ‘good’ dishes and appreciate them so they don’t gather dust in the cupboard. Sweet candid photo of the girls :)

23. debra says:

This is adorable / love the bright and cheery theme !

Had 3 boys and now a grandson …so I REALLY appreciate the girly stuff! :)

24. Pat says:

Your beautiful yellow attracted me right away. Love how the runners go across the table. Cute little happy faces!

25. Oh my goodness!!!! This is adorable!!! I love tea parties! I had my own Princess Tea Party a couple years ago, and my girls STILL talk about it!! SO glad I found your site, it’s precious!

26. Jodi says:

This is absolutely beautiful. The pops of yellow just bring joy. You have a great eye.

27. What a beautiful table setting. I used to host a tea party for my daughters and their friends when they were younger each Valentine’s Day.

28. How darling! Looks like a great afternoon :)

29. Brandi says:

Such a sweet idea! I love your decorations. Everything came together so very nicely.

30. Wonderful idea to have an annual mother-daugher tea party and I love the colors and all the great ideas you used in this. Very sweet and something to treasure looking back on.
    <3 Christina

31. That is so darn nice, I am loving the vibrant yellow coloring and the use of the lemons. It is perfect

32. WONDERFUL tablescape – beautiful fresh pics…..and those little girls are ADORABLE!!!!!

33. Jocelyn says:

Awww…… this is so sweet. Love the burst of yellow on this table.

34. Sandra says:

You’ve set a gorgeous table!

35. Patty says:

The girls are darling. Such a fun age. You are smart to do things like this. Your tablescape is just delightful! Thanks for the tutorial on making the pom poms.

36. Cindy Riggs says:

This is beautiful. I am one of your newest fans. Visit my blog at mimismagicapron.blogspot.com – you need one of my aprons.

37. Ginny says:

I loved tea parties when I was a little girl. This is definitely a tradition I plan to pass along. What a beautiful table you put together – thanks for sharing!

38. Virginia says:

What a lovely party! I love the yellow and white. Pinning it to my party ideas board.

39. Oh so beautiful. Love the runner turned sideways. The girls are so cute and I am sure they had the best time. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

40. Emily says:

I love this so much!! I can’t wait to start this tradition with my daughter!

I’ve pinned and FB shared!

41. Very cute! The table setting is lovely – bright and cheerful!
    Greetings from Australia♥
    ~Pernilla

42. Alana says:

What a lovely table and looks like such a fun tea party!

43. Sarah says:

What a cute idea! Love the yellow!

Make sure you stop by and share this at my Flaunt It Friday link party.
    Can’t wait to see more posts.

Sarah@

44. kristin says:

This is adorable! So pretty and the kids are loving it!
    XO
    Kristin
    PS..thanks for linking up to the spring party!

45. Kathryn says:

Beautiful Table!

46. What a wonderful tradition! I use to do little tea parties for my daughter when she was young, but not as elaborate as yours. Your tea party tablescape is just beautiful!