08/09/12

Cutting My Hair Short…Celebrity Hair Style Ideas

At the beginning of summer I considered cutting my hair short, but knowing I’d only have time for a quick shower (not much fussing in the bathroom time and lots of pool time), I decided to go the ponytail route for the time being and sought out some inspiration options: Cute Hairstyles for Long Hair.  I’ve loved being able to throw it back in a messy bun while it was still wet.  And wearing a fish tail braid on the side is super fun.  I was pretty versatile in my styles at first, but now…this is what it looks like every single day.  Hmm…I think it’s time to go for a style again.

After seeing My Best Friend’s Wedding in 1997, I sported this hair style for several years.  Then, I started cutting it myself.  For awhile I went with the pony tail trick where you put your hair in a pony tail way on top of your head and then pull the hair up and cut the ends for natural layers.  Then I decided I was ready for a blunt cut and since then, that’s been my thing…I trim the ends and layer a bit of side sweep bangs in my bathroom.  (My color is treated at a salon, because of an incident right before my wedding that you don’t even want to know).

The other day, I was watching the Olympics, the news came on and a few minutes later, I looked up and saw Jenny Garth being interviewed.  First thought, “I haven’t seen her in a long time.  Oh my gosh, she looks real cute!”  Her hair was long & wispy in the front, tucked behind her ears at the side and heavily layered in the back. Very feminine and “very current for 2012.”

That got me thinking. I checked with my constant hair guru, Jennifer Aniston to see what she was up to lately in the world of hair.  Her hair is cut just above the shoulders and is sorta blunt.  A little longer in the front, slightly stacked in the back.  From what I can tell, the long bob is a huge (and forever) trend in hair for 2012.

A long bob with a little curl is super cute on Tori Spelling.  Maybe sometimes I’d take the time to play with it like this…love it!

Cameron Diaz (who by the way makes me laugh…she gets her hair cut by a friend in her friend’s kitchen with a towel wrapped around her neck…the reason her hair is so short right now, her friend made a mistake.  seriously.  they were both in tears…hahaha.  i love that).  I sure wish mistakes could turn out this good in my world…it worked for Instyle Magazine, she made the cover recently.  “She cut my hair really short,” Diaz says. “But then I thought, ‘No, I really like this!’ It’s freeing, and I feel so much lighter.”  Maybe that’s what I need a little “freeing?”   Perhaps really soon!?!?

So what’s your favorite look for Fall 2012?!  How short is too short?  Friends with short hair…is it freeing?  How old can you sport long hair?  I think I’m ready to go for it.   Any last minute words of advice!?!?  Thanks friends!  XO, Aimee

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Great picks! I really like all these, but a couple of them look like too much styling time for this simple girl. I’m sure you’ll look great no matter the style. These are all winners in my book!

2. Hi Aimee: I so loved this post! I’m like you–I had hair down almost to my waist, and just ended up in the last few years throwing it up in a ponytail to get it out of my way. It had no real style. So a couple of years ago I got it cut short–above the collarbone in the front, and in the back stacked above the collar, and I love it so much. (I can just barely get it back in a ponytail now!) When I style it, it looks cute, and it’s cut right so on days when I don’t style it, it still mostly falls into loose waves and curls, which are nice as well. My favorite book on styling as I’ve gotten older is Christopher Hopkin’s Staging Your Comeback–that book changed my life in terms of learning what would work for my hair, as well as a ton of detailed clothing and makeup tips so you always look great and pulled together. His makeovers that he’s done and depicted in the book are just amazing! I highly recommend it, and another book called Color Me Confident, which gives some super ideas about clothing colors that work well with your particular hair and skin tone. Your library may have them, or they’re not very expensive on Amazon. Take care–can’t wait to see what you decide to do!

3. KatMoss says:

I’m a fan of short hair myself, however, my “short” is different than what many view as “short hair.” My hair is a cropped pixie ala Michelle Williams or Ginnifer Goodwin. I had an almost shoulder-length bob for a long time, but with my baby fine, thin, super straight hair & living in hot & humid Oklahoma – I finally gave in and chopped it off. I. Love. It. I don’t know that I’ll ever go back to anything longer. It takes me 5 minutes to style and yes, that’s even using a blow dryer and products!! It’s only more maintenance when it comes to getting it cut a little more frequently (about every 5 weeks). Coloring really doesn’t have to be done more often and it’s dyed a pretty red.

4. Kelly says:

I’m considering the same thing I have Jennie Garth and tori spelling pinned! I love that last one of Cameron!

5. meg/brassyapple says:

FUN!!!! I cute my hair short a few years ago and I have played with different lengths and highlights, etc and never looked back to my long hair! I LOVE it short!
    something else is I get compliments ALL the time on my short hair and from all sort of people! the funny thing is I’ll be at the store or a restuarant and people compliment me and then ask to take photos to take to their hairdresser! no one ever did that when my hair was long! 😉

• Thanks for the vote of confidence Megan…I made an appointment for Tuesday! If my hair looks as darling as yours, I’ll be walking around taking pictures of myself. LOL. You wear short hair really well! XO, Aimee

6. I think the longer bob (or about that length) is great right now… I will say though, that at the beginning of last autumn (Southern hemisphere) I did cut my hair that short – one month later I was reaching for my scarf – and my hubs was bemused since he couldn’t feel the difference – but I was cold! Was it freeing? You bet! I have thick hair, and it now takes half the time to dry it that it used to! 🙂
    I don’t know how old you are – but go for it anyway if you want a change. If you don’t like it – it will grow out. 🙂
    Happy deciding

7. Mia says:

Just go for it, I say! I just cut of my hair, that was half way down my back, to a short bob, just to the jawline with shorter closecropped neck. I just love it, feels so good! I’ve made up my mind from one day to the other and it’s no regrets! I actually will love to cut it even shorter, eventually. Think Michelle Williams pixie cut. So my advice is to get rid of the boring bun! Good luck to you, girl!

8. Janet says:

Is short hair freeing? Absolutely. I have thick hair and it t
    took forever to dry long if left to air. Now, short short, it takes 15 min. and it’s no fuss.

How short is too short? Seen Jamie Lee Curtis? Mine’s that short, approximately.
    Janet

9. Ginger says:

I googled “fine curly hairstyles” trying to find a new look–and came up with pictures of the same layered cut I have now. *sigh* I like my hair, but some days I’d like a different cut.

10. Heather@French Press says:

PLEASE share pics if you go short, I’ve been thinking about cutting mine for a while, but a bit scared.

• I definitely will Heather…I’ll need some major support! 🙂 XO, Aimee

11. Love any of the looks. I cut (and donated) 12″ off into an angled bob about five years ago and wore it short for a couple of years while my little guy was small. I loved it, but am enjoying my long hair again. Unless you are planning on donating it, go with the longer version first. You can always go shorter later. 😉 I will say if you are feeling iffy about the cut, donating to Locks of Love will make the cut a little easier. 😉

12. I am a short hair kind of girl! And I love Tori Spellings, and Cameron Diaz’s hairstyles the best. Go for it! Can’t wait to see what you do with your hair.

13. Angie Deak says:

I got 11 inches chopped off of my hair in January this year (read: http://dontworrybehappykeeplearning.blogspot.com/2012/01/big-cut.html). I’m 28, and I’ve had longer than shoulder blades hair since 8th grade. It was traumatic at first, but knowing I donated my hair to Locks of Love made it feel great.
    I had it cut into an angled bob and it’s been that way since. I love it short. It takes a fraction of the time it took before to get ready in the morning and I save on shampoo and conditioner!
    Good luck with your decision! It’ll look great either way! And it sounds so cliche, but everyone’s right “It’s just hair. It’ll grow back [eventually].”

14. Christy Bishop says:

Don’t be afraid of short hair! Do you realize how many woman have long hair…and shouldn’t?? A word of advice…with short hair A GOOD CUT is everything…after that it is wash ‘n go…

15. go with Toris hair! I LOVE it! I like all the hair cuts, but I think Toris would look dynamite on you!!!!! I chopped off my hair a few months ago and have been loving it! (16 inches off) was a big change, but short hair is super easy and fun! You would look amazing what ever you choose!

16. Lynn says:

Just cut my “stacked bob” that I spent the last 3 years growing “just right.” Now it’s short, wispy, extremely textured and funky! Took 10 years off…I swear! Go for it girl. It’s only hair and it will grow back!

17. Sarah says:

I go through times of wanting my hair long… then it starts to bug me & I cut it all off. Then I grow it out again haha! It’s an endless cycle. I’m in a short phase right now. LOVE IT! It’s so fluffy!!! Mine is kinda like Jennifer’s bob above, but a bit shorter.

18. Too fun! i pinned the same style with Jenny Garth(who looks really thin now in new pics).

19. Bliss says:

I vote Jenny Garth. That’s your hair – cute and spunky.

~Bliss~

20. I just had my hair cut into a layered bob, just at my shoulders, and I do love it. Super easy to style, and looks current and fresh. For me, though, another inch or so might feel a little more feminine, so I’m going with that. I say, go for it!

21. Tenneil says:

I’m a long-haired, too-chicken to do anything else…BUT if I ever do get it cut and likely I will before 40…I say go big or go home. I L-O-ve the new Cameron cut. Choppy and lots of layers so that every day’s a good hair day. The Aniston cut looks high-maintenance to me and no good in humid or rainy weather unless you have enough natural curl to pull a good ‘wet scrunch’ look when you need. Good Luck!!!

22. I love Jenny Garth’s style. I also like concave bob’s. They look awesome whether you have straight or curly hair!

23. I just chopped mine off into a bob just above my shoulders and my hair feels so much healthier. I also straighten mine almost every day and so it is so much faster and easier now. I was super nervous but I’m considering it a win!

24. Hmmm…I am so jealous of your long hair! I have been trying to grow it out forever now but it is only just reaching my shoulders now in the front and for some reason people keep cutting more and more layers…ugh! It was much longer a few years ago but I cut it in a moment of “it is so hot and humid outside” weakness and though I liked it short for a little while, I can’t wait to be able to do more stuff with it!

I love the Jennifer Aniston long bob though! I say if you are going to cut it short, choose a longer short cut…you can always go shorter later. And don’t get too many layers in the beginning. I say start conservative and then go from there…there is nothing like getting it cut too short and wanting to cry (been there!). Good luck! Can’t wait to see your new do!

25. Hi Aimee u already did the cameron in mbfw so skip that one
    The JA bob well that will take a blow dry with large round brush or large flat anti stactic ceramic brush every day to accomplish that look- is cute but u decide the time investment is it worth it
    The Tori, other Cameron and the Jeni are most versatile for your hair- the ruffled looks a bit of product and rubbin hands through your hair your set
    The Jeni can go either way= sleek and straight or ruffled
    Your are pretty enough, skinny enough and young enough to pull off any of them
    Can’t wait to see what u decide

26. Well I just got a new style and it is kind of mess short curls and I love it. Super easy to take care of too. I say go for it, it’s only hair and you know it does grow. Hugs, Marty

27. I am like you, I go back and forth. Wanted to grow mine out, but in this hot humid weather, couldn’t take it any longer, so I had it cut back in late June. Blunt cut, bob style. Prior to, I was trying to grow it out into the J.A. look you showed, but with shorter bangs. Now that fall is approaching, I am thinking about growing it out again. Much easier in cooler weather. I missed being able to pull it up during the summer months. I have fine, very straight hair, so short is work…have to wash and dry EVERY day. I just turned 44. I don’t think there is ever really a time where you have to say…short only. I have some friends in their 60s with beautiful long locks. Can’t wait to see what you decide.

28. My dear, there’s no time like the present, so go for it! I hadn’t seen Jennifer Anniston’s new do, but it really looks better on her I think than the long locks. The thing I always tell myself is: It’s hair. And hair grows back. I like mine short because I like to garden and do stuff and don’t want it in my face bothering me. I think you can go with long hair as long as it looks good. On me, it does not look good. My very good friend is five years older than me with long hair, and hers looks delightful. I enjoyed the commentary!
    Brenda

29. The Witch's Kitchen says:

I get my hair cut short (above my shoulders)exactly once every two years. Then I let it grow, only trimming my bangs (myself). Each time I cut my hair it gets donated to “Locks of Love”. I figure this reddish brown would look better in a wig for a cancer patient than in the garbage!

30. Jen @ Four Marrs & One Venus says:

You could rock any of those hair styles! I say Do it! I love change- grow it, cut it, different color here and there.. it’s fun! I love the tuck behind the ear/layered longer on one side- Super cute! All of them would look awesome on you! Go for it!!! Can’t wait to see! I find myself liking a “style” and that it helps me look more put together.. does that make sense? Not that you don’t look put together- but you know what I mean! Ok, enough rambling.. chop chop! 🙂

Jen

31. We just moved so I had to find a new hairdresser. She cut my hair much, much, shorter than I wanted. (this just happened today)I am feeling kind of sad. But I know it will grow fast and the shorter hair will be nice in this humid weather. All the pictures you’ve shown are very cute styles!

32. Leigh Ann says:

I have a simple bob and I LOVE it! I live in a very windy area and the messier it is the better it looks. It’s so versatile and much easier than long hair.