Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

August 2, 2012 by 30 Comments

Okay sweet friends, we’re getting personal now!  I’m thrilled to share with you, my family’s absolute favorite cookies EVER!  Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.

My hubby works with diabetic equipment and years ago we received a flyer in the mail with this recipe and I began tweaking, that’s what I like to do!  The result, out of this world goodness, but not quite so diabetic.

I think what makes these cookies totally rock it’s not just that the flavor is obnoxiously good (can you go wrong with milk chocolate), but the texture is out of this world!  The key to making these delights is to keep an eye on the oven and definitely pull them out the second they begin to golden on the top!  They’ll be a bit gooey, but they firm up real quickly!

After you pull them from the oven, transfer them to a cooling rack right away.  Below is a pic of the coloring you’ll see when your cookies are ready to be removed.  Let them cool to the point that biting into them won’t burn your taste buds and deter you from eating the entire pan!

Here they are all plated up, and tomorrow they’ll be gone.  That’s when I remind myself that the original recipe was diabetic and I feel a little better.  Denial works sometimes!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 ¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup unsweeted applesauce
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups quick oat (healthier: rolled oats)
¾ cup milk chocolate chips (healthier:  semi-sweet chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 375. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt set aside. In a large bowl, beat the sugars, butter and applesauce until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until smooth. Add in the oats and mix until just combined.  Then, add the chocolate chips and mix by hand. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet 2-3 inches apart. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Cute Mason Jar Teacher Gift Idea & Tag

Thanks for visiting It’s Overflowing! I hope you’ll check out more of my recipes and tutorials! Or maybe you want to subscribe and get updates in your feed reader. Thanks for visiting!

Click here for where I link up! .

Comments

30 Responses to “Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe”
  1. Thanks for linking up @ CountryMommaCooks link and greet party…..hope to see you again tomorrow : )

2. Sarah says:

Cute idea! I’m a retired teacher, and I think any teacher would be smiling at the thought of this gift.

3. Christine says:

Yum Aimee!! I LOVE chocolate chip cookies!! I can just imagine how yummy they are with oatmeal!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! :)

4. Chrissy says:

Yum! And love how you packaged them in a jar with a “smart cookie” label for the teacher (I teach Kindergarten so I would definitely love a gift like this)!

Chrissy
    @Everyday with the Jays

5. These look so delicious!! Love the teacher idea. I would love for you to link up to my linky party at The Mandatory Mooch. Still open for another day!!

Thanks, Nichi

6. Carly says:

Yummy – these are my favourite!!! About how many does this recipe yield?

7. Ali says:

Oatmeal cookies are so comforting and you can’t go wrong when you add chocolate to them. :) I wanted to take a moment to invite you to submit this and any other yummy recipes to my link party, Recipe Sharing Monday. Hope to see you there!

8. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party just went live at http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursday-4.html
    Thanks, Nichi

9. Sorry this is late, but better late then never. Thanks so much for sharing with last weeks with Wednesday’s Adorned From Above. The link party is open now for this week.
    Debi Bolocofsky

10. Ali says:

Thank you so much for linking up last week at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new link party is now up and I’d love it if you joined us again. Have a great week!