08/12/12

Simple Tips: Keep Flies Outside

I love simple tips!  Last week we took care of our neighbors sweet dog and flowers (hopefully they survived) while they were on vacation.   I couldn’t help but notice a little zip lock bag hanging in front of their door.  I didn’t want to bug (pun intended) them with a silly question while they were chilling on vacation so I did a little google research and snopes cleared it up for me!  ‘It actually doesn’t have to have a penny in it…the way it works has something to do with the flies eyes…the water messes with their eyes and they don’t go near the door. It works, my Daddy has one at each of his doors…’  Love this!  Call me a copycat!

Simple Tips - ItsOverflowing

What are your favorite Simple Tips!?!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Jennifer Rollins says:

Hi Aimee! Hope you’ve had as much fun this summer as we have! I’ve been so busy vacationing I haven’t even been blogging, much less linking up – but I’m back! Promise! With lots to share in the weeks ahead!

Already have my reservations for Round Top. Are you going in October?

Jennifer

2. jen lossing, the consigner designer says:

Thank you so much for hosting!

3. Hi Aimee hope u didn’t get hit by the storm last night – looked like we were but we ended up without a drop of rain or stitch of wind. I was wondering doe the bag go on the inside of the door or the outside? How did you hang yours up?
    Thanks so much RaNae

4. I’ve seen that fly trick around and really want to try it but am at a loss of how to hang it exactly? Wouldn’t putting a hole in it make it tear? Thanks for hosting! Have a great week!

• Hi Gen! My hole is itty bitty at the top, directly under the zipper part of the bag. No tears yet…and it’s been a week. Our porch is covered so we don’t really have weather issues disturbing it so far! XO, Aimee

5. Amy,
    This is a great idea. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It ends tonight, but starts again on Wednesday.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky

6. Kathy Moody says:

Thank you so much for hosting another great party! Hope you have a fantastic week. 🙂

7. Thanks for hosting! Have a great week! 🙂

8. Debbie says:

Thanks so much for hosting! I got to share my NCAA wreath to go along with my tailgate series. I hope you have an amazing week!

9. Little Bit says:

Thanks for hosting Aimee… wow, great tip on keeping flies away, I’m gonna try it! Little Bit

10. Thanks for hosting Aimee!

11. Deana @ CountryMommaCooks says:

Thanks for hosting : )

12. Thanks so much for hosting, Aimee. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Megan

13. K Coake says:

Aimee, Thanks so much for hosting! I hope the rest of your weekend it great! Do you know how you hang the bag up so it doesn’t rip? Just curious. Thanks.

14. You know I am SO excited about the Amazon gift card! …what a great trick about the bag with water on the door! does that work with (some) people too? 😉

15. Aimee – thank you for hosting. I see those bags at houses and I wondered if they really worked. I have more trouble with mosquitoes than flies though!

16. Thanks for hosting, Aimee!
    I’m going to have to try that bag of water trick…flies gotten in the house so many times this summer! It drives me nuts!

17. FABBY says:

Thank you for hosting and having me Aimee, I love your terrific party!
    FABBY

18. keri @ shaken together says:

My father in law swears by the bag of water … oh, and thanks for the party 🙂

19. Thank you for hosting, girl! I would be so tickled to have you join my party if you get a chance 🙂 Hope you’re enjoying the weekend!

20. Kim says:

Thank you for the invite to your party Aimee. I always love to party with some new friends.

21. Thank you so much for hosting Aimee!!! So happy to be back partying with you.
    Blessings
    Angelina

22. crystal says:

Thanks for hosting, Aimee! 🙂

23. Nici Higby says:

Great tip to keep the flies away! I’ll have to try that on our back door. Thanks so much for hosting this great party each week! Thank you again for featuring my Cowboy Coffee Cake. I appreciate you very much! Love ya, Sister!

24. Heather@French Press says:

I am going to copycat your copycat – what a great tip!

thanks for the party

~heather

25. Betsy @ Anna Nimmity says:

Thanks for hosting each week, Aimee!

26. Christina at I Gotta Create! says:

Thanks for hosting Aimee!!
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!