Simple Tips: Keep Flies Outside

August 12, 2012 by 28 Comments

I love simple tips!  Last week we took care of our neighbors sweet dog and flowers (hopefully they survived) while they were on vacation.   I couldn’t help but notice a little zip lock bag hanging in front of their door.  I didn’t want to bug (pun intended) them with a silly question while they were chilling on vacation so I did a little google research and snopes cleared it up for me!  ‘It actually doesn’t have to have a penny in it…the way it works has something to do with the flies eyes…the water messes with their eyes and they don’t go near the door. It works, my Daddy has one at each of his doors…’  Love this!  Call me a copycat!

Simple Tips - ItsOverflowing

What are your favorite Simple Tips!?!

Comments

28 Responses to “Simple Tips: Keep Flies Outside”
  1. Christina at I Gotta Create! says:

Thanks for hosting Aimee!!
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

2. Betsy @ Anna Nimmity says:

Thanks for hosting each week, Aimee!

3. I am going to copycat your copycat – what a great tip!

thanks for the party

~heather

4. Nici Higby says:

Great tip to keep the flies away! I’ll have to try that on our back door. Thanks so much for hosting this great party each week! Thank you again for featuring my Cowboy Coffee Cake. I appreciate you very much! Love ya, Sister!

5. crystal says:

Thanks for hosting, Aimee! :)

6. Angelina says:

Thank you so much for hosting Aimee!!! So happy to be back partying with you.
    Blessings
    Angelina

7. Kim says:

Thank you for the invite to your party Aimee. I always love to party with some new friends.

8. Thank you for hosting, girl! I would be so tickled to have you join my party if you get a chance :) Hope you’re enjoying the weekend!

9. My father in law swears by the bag of water … oh, and thanks for the party :)

10. FABBY says:

Thank you for hosting and having me Aimee, I love your terrific party!
    FABBY

11. Jen says:

Thanks for hosting, Aimee!
    I’m going to have to try that bag of water trick…flies gotten in the house so many times this summer! It drives me nuts!

12. Donna Wilkes says:

Aimee – thank you for hosting. I see those bags at houses and I wondered if they really worked. I have more trouble with mosquitoes than flies though!

13. You know I am SO excited about the Amazon gift card! …what a great trick about the bag with water on the door! does that work with (some) people too? ;)

14. K Coake says:

Aimee, Thanks so much for hosting! I hope the rest of your weekend it great! Do you know how you hang the bag up so it doesn’t rip? Just curious. Thanks.

15. Megan says:

Thanks so much for hosting, Aimee. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Megan

16. Little Bit says:

Thanks for hosting Aimee… wow, great tip on keeping flies away, I’m gonna try it! Little Bit

17. Debbie says:

Thanks so much for hosting! I got to share my NCAA wreath to go along with my tailgate series. I hope you have an amazing week!

18. Kathy Moody says:

Thank you so much for hosting another great party! Hope you have a fantastic week. :)

19. Amy,
    This is a great idea. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It ends tonight, but starts again on Wednesday.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky

20. Gen says:

I’ve seen that fly trick around and really want to try it but am at a loss of how to hang it exactly? Wouldn’t putting a hole in it make it tear? Thanks for hosting! Have a great week!

• Aimee says:

Hi Gen! My hole is itty bitty at the top, directly under the zipper part of the bag. No tears yet…and it’s been a week. Our porch is covered so we don’t really have weather issues disturbing it so far! XO, Aimee

21. RaNae says:

Hi Aimee hope u didn’t get hit by the storm last night – looked like we were but we ended up without a drop of rain or stitch of wind. I was wondering doe the bag go on the inside of the door or the outside? How did you hang yours up?
    Thanks so much RaNae

22. Hi Aimee! Hope you’ve had as much fun this summer as we have! I’ve been so busy vacationing I haven’t even been blogging, much less linking up – but I’m back! Promise! With lots to share in the weeks ahead!

Already have my reservations for Round Top. Are you going in October?

Jennifer