DIY Simple Bulletin Board Ideas (Rubberbands)

August 15, 2012 by 22 Comments

Last weekend I came up with a simple bulletin board ideas for my boys’ room.  In effort of embracing their love for baseball, I decided to make a board totally dedicated to baseball cards.  To be completely honest, I had a personal agenda in the mix, I am excited to have a spot to stash the baseball cards I randomly find spread throughout the house, without having to actually insert them into the binder protector sleeve.
As I was wandering through an office store looking at school supplies, I spotted these enormous colorful rubber bands, called file bands.  I was so mesmerized by them, I had to pick them up, still not sure of where I would use them.   Within 2.2 seconds of being home I picked up four baseball cards from random places and my idea was instantaneous!  These babies need a home…and quick!

My sweet hubby cut a board for me 36″ x 15″ out of scrap wood in the garage and then I used Minwax Gel Stain in Hickory color.  I’ve heard mixed reviews on the gel stains.  Want my opinion!?!  They’re great!  Literally I poured a cup or so onto the wood, then used my sponge brush to move the stain evenly on the board.  A little more pouring, a little more spreading/coating…TaDah!

An hour later and just one coat…my One Step Staining was complete.  I love quick and simple projects…have I said that before!?!

I stretched the orange file bandz both horizontally and vertically over the board, crossing them over each other to create interest and a secure spot to stash the cards I collect through the house…and not only that…

It’s super fun decor and my boys totally think it ROCKS!

As I’ve been working on my boys’ bedroom, my goal has been to implement ideas that reflect them and not myself.  This is definitely a challenge because I really don’t know how to think “boy.”  Growing up, I was one of four girls…no boys.  Legos, cars, weapons, and baseball cards were completely foreign to me until 2005!  Being a boy mom is so much fun and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.  I’m pretty sure my simple bulletin board ideas will evolve over time.  Right now they’re all about baseball so the cards are totally relevant, but eventually I can imagine there will be concert tickets and important notes!  A picture of each with their girlfriend Mommy?!!

Looking around online after completing my board I felt brilliant…gotta love it when you’re struck with a moment of genius comparitive to Martha Stewart!  I just might have to make a similar, more girlie message board with rubber bands for Little B’s room, too.

Martha Stewart

You may have seen my Ballard Design Memo Board for Less?!  It’s been real useful for me…tutorial.

It’s Overflowing

Anthony, Martha Stewart Home Living editor, framed a piece of fiberboard covered with fabric to create a gorgeous bulletin board in his office.

Martha Stewart

Here’s the scoop on my boys bedroom so far.   I hope to share the final reveal very soon.  I’m waiting on a curtain order…I needed just one panel, but the wrong one was ordered…when that was realized, the one I needed went out of stock…the story goes on, but long story short I’m hoping for this week!

Click here for where I link up! .

Comments

22 Responses to “DIY Simple Bulletin Board Ideas (Rubberbands)”
  1. Love this idea Aimee!! Looks great! :) Bonnie

2. Great idea! I’m going to have to incorporate this when I give my boys’ rooms a big makeover!!

3. Angelina says:

That makes a GREAT boys room addition. Great idea :)

4. now I need one for my “office”!

5. LisaW says:

What a great idea! I’ll have to search for some of those bands here in Australia.

6. Deanne says:

A very clever idea! I need to make some bulletin boards myself!

7. This is such an easy yet wonderful bulletin board. I’ve spent hours making one of those with fabric, quilt batting, ribbons, and upholstry pins for downstairs, but I am so going to make one of these for a wall I have upstairs next to one of my boys’ bedrooms. I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds baseball cards all over the house!

8. Nancy says:

This is a fantastic idea! Good thinkin!
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

9. Genius that’s what this is. I have a board left over from making a chalk board that I can use.
    I love your blog, I’m having Berries and Cream Blog Design redesign my blog!
    Thanks for your inspiration!!

10. I love bulletin boards and your features are awesome! I especially love your one with rubberbands. Decorating for a boy’s room is so hard and this is functional AND cool and funky. I love using the different colored rubberbands to match the decor! My poor boys’ bedrooms are BORING and this is a great idea I could implement! I am now following by e-mail. :)

11. I am SO doing this for my son’s room. I would love a dollar for every baseball card I find around the house. Thank you for the easy cool idea my son and I will both love!

12. Vanessa says:

That is so cool Aimee!! Might just have to do that in my own boy’s room…if I can only find the wall space for it. LOL!
    Vanessa

13. CAS says:

Wow, that’s definitely one of those “slap yourself on the forehead — why didn’t I think of that,” kind of ideas! Would be great for my hubby’s shop, too!

14. Michele says:

Your reason for creating the bulletin board reminded me of an old book by Jean Kerr. I think she said it was easier to make something out of random tinker toys than try to find the container to put them away, so she got to be really good at it. Your rubber band solution is great.

15. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Six Sisters’. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-10.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

16. Caren says:

What a great idea! I think we need a few of those around here.

I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

Have a great day!

17. six sisters says:

This is so cute!! Thanks for sharing this fun idea! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We loved having you and hope you will come back soon! -The Sisters

18. Katie Drane says:

I’m so glad that I found your blog! What a clever idea, especially using stain. Thanks for the inspiration:)

Katie

19. tulip says:

I love it! I would be so grateful if you would link this up at Mom’s Library! Thanks for sharing.

20. This is seriously cool! I must copy…soon!

21. Mindy says:

I might try this for my daughter’s hair accessories!

22. Sarah says:

I love that idea! I think it would work great for my boys ninjago cards. And you are right Aimee…being a boy Mom rocks!