Easy Pumpkin Decorating, DIY Halloween Decor

September 12, 2012 by 27 Comments

We’ve been talking about the change of seasons and yesterday when I showed you my Favorite Fall Wreaths, (here) I told you I had heated up my hot glue gun.  The glue gun is for my wreath…today’s craft requires no glue and no time.  But it sure is cute!  Here’s an easy pumpkin decorating tutorial!

At the end of each season I like to spot supplies that I know will come in handy eventually.  Pumpkins are one of those things that you never have too many of…don’t you think!  There are just so many things you can do to make them super cute!  Have you heard of washi tape!?  It feels like masking tape, only it’s much prettier than masking tape.  It’s made of paper, but is not real delicate.  And the patterns and design options are endless!  It sticks safely to tons of surfaces, but without leaving a residue.  Long story – made short, it’s perfect for parties and crafts when a touch of color without the mess just makes sense!

Here’s one of the pumpkins I found at 75% off at the end of the season….and the washi tape is from a local craft store, usually sold in a small set with complimenting colors.

As I peeled the tape away from the roll it was ready to adhere to my plastic, white pumpkin!  I just kept on going and pulled it up if I changed my mind!  It’s that simple.  I’ll show you the results in a minute.  Bonus craft tonight…

I also grabbed an old white vase – if you’ve visited before, you may know I’m obsessed with my white vases (here).  I peeled off two of my reusable stencil stickers.  Remember how I showed you my glass painting kit (here)?!?  Today, I used three pieces from the set, stickers, orange paint, and my dabber!

I dabbed on the orange paint then pulled off the stencils.  Then I wrapped the top of the vase with more washi tape!  Add some $0.94 awesome looking faux wheat stems and a bowl of candy corns – minutes later, the entry is all about Halloween!  Although, I need to figure out another countdown craft for Halloween.  Last year, my kids totally LOVED our creative way to countdown (here)!!!

Are you all about pumpkin yet!?  I shared some super delicious ‘Favorite Pumpkin Recipes’ at my new blog, Barns & Noodles this morning!

Fun Halloween Tablescapes…Party!

Comments

27 Responses to “Easy Pumpkin Decorating, DIY Halloween Decor”
  1. Very cute Aimee! I love simple and easy, and I have those stencils…bonus!

2. Kelsey says:

I’m loving it! I have seen a few of the washi tape pumpkins and I might have to join in the fun – they turn out so cute!

3. I love the white pumpkin with the stripes. Very cute idea!

4. Donna Wilkes says:

I love washi tape – it looks great on the vase and the pumpkin. Great tip!

5. Cute pumpkin! And nothing says fall like candy corn!

6. Cynthia says:

Love this project. The pumpkin looks. Very creative.

Cynthia

7. love it, great ideas for a seasonal touch!

8. I’ve heard of washi tape but not used it yet. I think you’ve encouraged me to try it! I can’t quite get in the mood for fall yet, even though it’s my favorite season. Your pumpkin turned out so cute!

9. Alisha says:

This came out great. I haven’t used Washi Tape either and I can’t wait to try it. TFS!

Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/09/another-fur-baby-coat.html

10. I heart you sweet friend. Thank you SO much for linking up! :) Your bloggin friendship mean so much to me.
    Jaime

11. Deirdre says:

I love those cream colored pumpkins…and I checked out the chalk pumpkins from last year! Such fun…I think I’ll pick out some of the “ugly” pumpkins and give it try! Your kids are so lucky to have such a crafty mom! Saying Hi from Mom on A Time Out Hop…I host Photo Friday Link Party, I’d love to have you link up this or any other original photo from your blog. Happy Hopping!

12. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper says:

This all turned out SO cute! I hope you’ll link up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party (fall ideas too).

13. LUCY says:

Hey Amiee…you know what’s really cool? I could tell this was your link as soon as I saw the picture…everything you do has your beautiful signature….thank you so much for taking the time to link up at our first HAPPY HOUR FRIDAY party…we appreciate it so much…xo
    ps Pinning to our pinterst board…

14. T'onna says:

Great idea! I love the tape you chose.

15. Oh, how pretty! Thank you for sharing! I really need to get crackin’ and get some Fall decor up. Visiting from HOH. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-14.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

16. rose says:

Hay, I was wondering where you found those adorable images for your page buttons? I know it is a random question. I have been searching for some images like those to use for my blog but can’t find any. Have any good leads or advice on where to find them?

17. What a clever idea!! These are so cute! Great job! Thanks for sharing!

18. This is so cute Aimee! I love the simplicity. It’s so chic.

19. Q @ JAQS says:

WHat a great idea! I like the idea of not having to carve into pumpkins and this is a great alternative.

Love for you to share it at my linky party if you get a chance :)

20. Rose @ DIY Eco-friendly Home Decor says:

May be very easy but sure looks fantastic! Do share your Halloween and other creations and ideas at our linky party at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party .

21. Stephanie says:

Have been trying to think of some non traditional ways to decorate pumpkins, and I love this idea! So cute and simple!

22. This is so cute. I love the simplicity of it.
    Would you consider linking this up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

23. Well now how cute is that? I like the colour combo, nicely done Aimee!

24. Linda says:

I love this pumpkin. I’m into making pumpkins from fabric myself. I like your idea. It’s even quicker. Would love to have you come over and hook up to our Pumpkin Party. Hope to see you. Linda

25. Hey Aimee!
    What a lovely decoration, you are so creative! Will try this one for Halloween, actually I am starting decorating our house and will likely to add yours into it.