DIY Master Bedroom Makeover

October 15, 2012 by 47 Comments

I’m so excited to show you my DIY Master Bedroom Makeover!  What’s a girl to do when her hubby is out of town for two of the last three weeks, right!  Some of you may be experts at running the whole show on your own, but this girlie girl nearly goes crazy when her Stud isn’t around.  I’m so blessed that he rarely travels and totally thankful for his mom who came and stayed with me for the last week of his travels.  To answer my question above…what’s a girl to do when her hubby goes out of town…SHOP!  I played make believe that my sweet hubby would adore coming home to a bedroom makeover and I got busy!

The bedding was a splurge from Target.  I have had my coverlet for six years and having heard that my mother-in-law had purchased a new coverlet set at Target and that the quality was great I had to sneak a peek.  And yes, the quick peek led to a purchase!  This is the Field Crest bedding with the king size shams included.  Speaking of my mother-in-law, while visiting we got her blog up and running!  You should stop by and tell her hi, Zu Haus at Home.

Well, not everything is new…you remember how Stud and I made our Mr. and Mrs. signs as a simple DIY Valentine’s treat for each other, right!?  I still love them so much that I’ve added a similar DIY sign project to Stud’s honey do list…hopefully between baseball games (which I learned this is our last game…hahaha…now we start tournaments) we can throw it together, I’m getting antsy!

I love hydrangeas so much…truthfully, my very favorite flower is any flower that is white.  I love how they don’t compete with the decor, but always enhance a room’s decor.  Speaking of white flowers, this cute ZGallerie porcelain flower votive holder has been a favorite of mine for a long time.  Gigi (my mother-in-law) and I actually spent some time shopping at ZGallerie while she was visiting, I’ll have to share my favorite finds from that shopping trip real soon.

And underneath my white porcelain flower is my book of Psalms that I found at an estate sale many years ago.  Nothing is more comforting to my soul than reading through the Psalms.  I love that every fear, rejection, hope, and excitement…every emotion I’ve ever experienced is relieved as I know that none of it is new to my sweet Savior!   Inside this book of mine, I have a sheet of paper that I have jotted down notes on over the years, including the verses we’ve chosen for each of our babies.

Little B – Proverbs 3:5-6, Big B – 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, Baby B – Psalm 18:1-2.

I hosted a giveaway for Pillows by Dezign and they offered to treat me to two of their pillows of my choosing.  I selected these gorgeous 20×20 black and white Houndstooth pillows.  This awesome company with the best selection and quality of pillows EVER didn’t ask me to share my pillows, but I’m so obsessed I totally wanted to tell you about them.  They are seriously dreamy!  And since I’m crushing on Houndstooth these days, they are the perfect addition to my DIY Master Bedroom Makeover!

I’ve added a few pops of aqua to my bedroom.  The throw and crocheted aqua pillows were Target finds.  I’m picturing adding a bit of reddish coral around Christmas time.  Can you believe I’m talking about Christmas?!!  So exciting!

My soft ivory chinchilla pillows are 24 inches.  They’re the perfect pillows to curl up with on a cold winter’s night.  I found these at HomeGoods and am hoping I run across one more before they’re phased out.  I just might have to camp out there, the super fun things are snatched up quickly.

We’ve had my furniture for ten years now.  It’s a Lane Set called Gramercy Park crafted with hardwoods in a warm merlot finish accented with brushed silver hardware.  I still like it lots, although to break up the set a bit, I think I may take some paint to my nightstands one of these days.

Another HomeGoods Find!

I found my mercury candleholder at one of my favorite craft stores awhile back.  I love it next to the pure white candles and flowers.

The aqua chevron square candle was a 75% off ZGallerie purchase.  I love the pop of color and am kicking myself for not picking up a couple more.  It was such a steal.

More Hydrangeas.

We’ve been married for twelve years and all but two of those years, I’ve had wall mounted (plug into the wall) sconces above our nightstands.  I love having an entire nightstand surface available for us to use.  I always keep a tray on either side of our bed and we fill them up with the books that we’re reading at the time.  Are we alone in our way of reading!?!  We always have a minimum of three books we’re reading at a time.  Too many good books to be read!

And on the opposite wall I have my Craigslist bench that I absolutely adore!  It’s original price couldn’t have been much, it’s an IKEA bench.  My purchase price was $20 and we use it all the time!  I am tempted at times to paint it, but with three little kids, this bench gets tons of wear and tear…being able to wipe it down is definitely a perk!  My basket was 50% off at a craft store.  It has a super cute chevron pattern and when it’s not posing for pictures with a pretty white chenille coverlet, it’s the laundry drop spot for this end of the house.  Once upon a time I had a dream that all of the laundry would be carried to the laundry room each day where I have a great little system in tact.

My dream has been cut short and my latest hope is that everyone could walk ten feet and drop their clothing into this basket.  So far, not a huge success, but I haven’t given up yet!  The pictures above my bench are found on my about me page.  I love these whimsical pictures.  Speaking of photography…have you started thinking about your family Christmas Pictures!?  What colors are you leaning towards!?!  Indoor or outdoor!?!  Will you hire someone!?!  You know I’m all about photography at It’s Overflowing and over the next few weeks I want to chat with you a bit about Family Photography, Poses, and Clothing!!!

Oh and if you were wondering what Stud’s reaction was to my DIY Master Bedroom Makeover…he was really glad to be home!  That’s why I have girlfriends, right!  Here are some awesome house tours I just know you will just totally love!!!

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

47 Responses to “DIY Master Bedroom Makeover”
  1. This is just gorgeous! I love the pillow textures, the antlers, the pops of turquoise … the perfect getaway for the end of the day!

2. Hi darling, your room is gorgeous, so bright and fresh..love the different textures of the pillows and the fun pop of black and white.. hugs ~lynne~

3. Ashley says:

Girl, this is awesome! I love those blue pillows! AND…we have the same coverlet ; ) Gotta love target!

4. Your color scheme is lovely. I don’t think I’ve seen it before, in my long hours spent on home deco sites. I like the canopy too, but my Mr. refuses to even consider one.

5. Kelsey says:

It looks awesome!!! I love the Mr. and Mrs. signs over your bed!! Great job.

6. Moni says:

I love your new bedding ….fun accent colors too…..beautiful!

7. I’m with ya, sister! We must have been on the houndstooth committee in heaven together. The pillows are the PERFECT touch to your lovely room.

8. Bethany says:

I love your makeover! The pops of color are great, and the neutral base is really calming. :)

9. jenny says:

I love your beautiful room! Your furniture is to die for…I adore your bed. And I vote for not painting the side tables (not that you asked!). The color of your furniture is gorgeous! The houndstooth is the perfect contrast to all the white. So pretty!

10. Looks great…and sounds like the same reaction I’d get if I did a decorating makeover “for” my husband :). Love the room and especially the pops of turquoise.

11. Lori says:

So pretty! I love the pops of turquoise in the room – they really had a bright punch of color. Hydrangeas are also my favorite flowers and you can never go wrong there! Love it all!

12. Emily says:

What a beautiful makeover. I love the hydrangeas! And the turquiose candle is fabulous.

13. Carole says:

love how simple and simply beautiful the room is, great job!

14. Michelle says:

These are such great colours together, the blue looks really stylish with the black and white. I would love to sleep in that bed with the Mr and Mrs above, so sweet. Great job x

15. Megan says:

Your room looks amazing, Aimee. I headed over to your mother in law’s blog and am following along. :) Megan

16. Just beautiful Aimee, I just love that pretty blue and you’ve accented with it so well!

17. Beautiful!! so calming and soothing! I bet you love heading to bed every night!

18. Shannon Fox says:

Looks so pretty. And the color is highly approved of :) Bet you slept extra well in that pretty space.

19. Cynthia says:

Great makeover I love the Houndstooth pillows and all the other little touches.

Cynthia

20. Your bedroom is just lovely and your pictures are so beautiful. You did a fabulous job on your bedroom and it is very restful.

21. Amber Price says:

Where did you get the throw blanket? I like it a lot and it matches what I am hoping to do in my bedroom.

22. I love it all Aimee! Great choice on the houndstooth pillows – they are really fun. And the little pop of blue really brightens it up. Beautiful makeover!

23. So beautiful. I love the colors!

24. Kim says:

Very pretty, Aimee. I love hydrangeas, too, but mine grow blue and then turn green and pinkish.

25. Stopping by from Thrifty Decor Chick! Your room is gorgeous! I love the houndstooth paired with the turquoise. Very unexpected and pretty!

26. Shauna @Satori Design for Living says:

We don’t have Target yet, but I think I need to send my husband there while he’s in California this week to check out that coverlet. We’ve had something similar on our bed for 6 years or so- definitely time for an update! Love the pops of aqua and those houndstooth pillows are gorgeous!

27. Linda says:

Hi Aimee, I LOVE your bedroom. Mine is in a sorry state and needs to be redecorated! There always seems to be something more pressing. And I must admit that I look forward to the times when my hubby is traveling! It’s not for a bad reason–I just like to do my projects and keep going at my own pace, without having to pick up and then start again. I am so productive during those times. I am a houndstooth addict too. Just love everything in your room. Linda

28. Nici Higby says:

Simply….beautiful! You are talented sweet SIL.
    Hugs,
    Nici

29. You have a great sense of style!

30. Lura says:

WOW! This looks great! Feel free to come decorate mine!

Lura
    x

31. Julie says:

Looks fabulous! I just bought that turquoise throw for our living room!

32. Becka says:

LOVE what you did! Looking to spruce up our Master this fall. Thanks for the inspiration. Love that little chevron vase!

33. Mel says:

Beautiful results. I love that you convinced yourself hubs would love it. I do the same, or I buy something beige and tell him it’s more masculine now :)

34. Kristen says:

this looks amazing!! If you have a chance I would love for you to link up to handmade tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. http://www.ladybug-blessings.com

35. Katie says:

Oh Wow! Absolutely gorgeous! You did a fabulous job and paid attention to every detail!

36. Elise says:

Looks great! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop http://www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you’d like to follow each other!

37. Absolutely “dreamy” (to quote a certain blogger I know : ))!

Featuring you!

38. Michelle says:

This is beautiful! Great with the aqua pops of color!

39. Trisha says:

What a great master bedroom! I LOVE the houndstooth pillows they are fab!

40. Gorgeous…it’s so peaceful, a perfect bedroom!! And that chevron candle is AMAZING!

41. Oh, Aimee! You are making me want to add a bright pop of color to our neutral light and bright master. If I buy one more pillow my husband may have me committed! xo Kristin

42. Love the combination of the turquoise with black and white. Very chic! Turquoise is my favorite color, so it would be hard for me to decorate the room with some restraint. You have the perfect balance though!

I shared your project on my latest post of Get Your Color On!, a blog series that features other bloggers’ projects and tips on how to decorate with a particular color.

Feel free to paste a button from this series. You can check out the post here:

Great job and thanks for sharing!