I’m right there with you friends! It’s that time of year where we spend an unnatural amount of time looking for clothing that make our families look and feel completely natural. All with the intent of coming across complimented and well put together for the friends we only catch up with once a year…in the
dreaded SUPER FUN Christmas Card! It’s simple, right!
Here’s my little ‘How to Pick Outfits for Family Pictures’ brainstorm! Hopefully this will help a few of you on the hunt, too!
1. Let’s talk colors. Select a foundation color first and then accent with a few pops of color. For example in the picture below, gray with a few touches of yellow and turquoise. Not everyone is screaming yellow and turquoise, but there’s enough available to add interest. Solid colored shirts work best (no logos or distracting pictures).
2. Want to look and feel slim? Dress in what makes you feel comfortable. If your arms are your tension point, cover them up with long sleeves or 3/4 sleeves. If you don’t want to draw attention to your bottom, wear a long jacket. If you’re uncomfortable, it will show in your portraits.
3. Layer and add accessories. Bring in your own style by adding scarves, belts, jewelry, and fun shoes. These little touches will help you show off your personality and style in the midst of a large family picture.
4. Patterns, tones, and textures. Another skinny tip, darker jeans and darker shirts will always be most slimming. When selecting a muted color base, choose to incorporate as much texture and as many tones as possible. I would love to see some touches of herringbone, houndstooth, wools, and tweed incorporated in this mix of subtle clothing. Basic is great, but be sure to make it special, too!
5. Details, Details, Details. Don’t wait until the last minute to find your perfect earrings and a bow that blends great for your little girl. In case your hands show up in the pictures, take time to polish the nails of all the girls in the pictures.
6. Watch the weather. In the Fall and Winter months, the weather has a mind of it’s own! Plan ahead and have options if you wake up on picture day and it’s bitter cold! This time of year, as you look for picture outfits, think layers. Layers always add interest!