No Sew Pillow {West Elm Inspired}

October 24, 2012 by 37 Comments

It has been said, ‘Flattery is the sincerest form of compliment!’  Feel very complimented West Elm, because I totally love your Antler Pillow Cover!  I’ll show you how I made my No Sew Pillow.

West Elm

So much so that I turned on my CAMEO, grabbed some felt and fusible web like Heat n Bond, then heated up my iron!!!

I found a super cute forward facing Deer Head clipart and imported it into my library.

Then I opened the trace menu on my Silhouette Software (top right).  I selected the image (trace area) with my mouse, played with the settings a little to get a good border highlighted in yellow, then clicked on trace and pulled (and deleted) the colored clip art.  A perfect sketch of my deer head.  I plugged in my Silhouette CAMEO and got the fabric ready.

I cut my felt and interfacing to 12×12 and then ironed the two pieces together.  Took off the back side of the paper from the interfacing and there was a rubbery type texture on one side and a felt texture on the opposite side.  I placed the square piece on my CAMEO mat, inserted it between the rollers and it was ready to be cut.  Here are the settings I used to cut Felt with Interfacing on my Silhouette CAMEO: Speed 2 – Thickness 33 – Blade – 10.  I was using a very thick felt and only had to use my scissors a bit to detach the deer head applique completely.

My Herringbone Pillow in front was a fun clearance find at Target.  I think they were making room for the Nate Berkus Collection (speaking of have you picked up any of his goodies – craziness that all his chotskies are being cleared off the shelf instantaneously – why again was his show canceled).

Remember the Interfacing (rubbery texture) on the back side of my antler applique!?!  I placed my antlers centered on the pillow and enjoyed ironing more than I have in a very long time!  Once the felt was set, I placed it right where it belonged!  L.O.V.E.  – how can something that simple be that cute!?!

Thanks West Elm for my No Sew Pillow Antler Inspiration!  Do you have the CAMEO?  You could print, trace, and cut the shape, but this is so much more precise and SUPER fast, I’m smitten!   >>>If you’d like to use this deer image (here) I added it to this google document so you can download it easily without hunting the web!  XO!  Happy crafting!

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

37 Responses to “No Sew Pillow {West Elm Inspired}”
  1. How cute is this. I love your chevron fabric and your copy is fabulous. Hugs, Marty

2. that is really cute! HO HO HO! :)

3. That turned out so cute….I love it!

4. Vanessa says:

So, no offense to West Elm, but I like yours way better Aimee!! It is absolutely darling! :-)
    Vanessa

5. I actually like yours better!!! Well done babe!

6. Ana Lopes says:

So awesome!!! I’m crazy about reindeers ! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! I’d love for you to visit my blog.
    Happy week!

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft

7. Megan says:

That looks perfect, Aimee! What a fantastic idea. :) Megan

8. Cynthia says:

What a beautiful pillow, I like yours better.

9. This is my kind of project….easy but looks Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing!

10. Amy Marshall says:

My first project would be vinyl wall art for my daughter’s bathroom saying, “Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful”. Thanks for the giveaway!

11. Monica says:

I love your pillow very classic looking …your detail on explaining is superb!! new to your site and so excited to be reading your blog.

12. Georgia says:

Such a great idea!!! I love pillows so much… I will try to make one!

13. Meegan says:

Hi Aimee!
    I am featuring your pillow as one of “My Friday Fave Pins” tomorrow, Oct. 26th. I hope you will stop by for a visit then to see the post.
    Thanks for your inspiration!
    Meegan

14. Mel says:

that came out great, I love a good knock off!

15. jenn says:

i was just thinking about making something similar for halloween with a skull on it, but since halloween is so close, this deer would be a better choice. great job!

16. Abby says:

Super cute! I love your version!

17. I LOVE knock offs! So cute!
    Would love if you came and linked up with us. We’re giving away one free week of ad space for one lucky feature, and our blog gets thousands of hits per day! Hope to see you there!

18. Sarah says:

Wow! Gorgeous stuff! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you would hop on over to my blog and return the favor!!

Thank you!
    Sarah

19. I do have a Cameo and I adore it! Haven’t cut fabric with it yet, but I will. And I like your pillow much better than the original!!

20. SOOOO cute!

I love this idea!

I have a dicut machine (my brain is so tired I can’t even remember the brand name) but haven’t done a thing with it yet.

I think I need to get on it! : )

~Abbie

21. This is so gorgeous, I love projects like this! Pinning now ;)

22. Megan says:

wow, it turned out beautifully. I can’t believe it’s no sew..super easy!

I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

23. Ruth says:

Love the pillow. I don’t have a Cameo so it would have to be good old fashionedhand cutting for me.
    Ruth

24. Sherry says:

The pillow is adorable, Aimee! I am featuring it at this weeks Open House party.

25. Aimee – This is soooo cute! I like your version much better than the one from W. Elm.

26. Meeha says:

Aimee, I love this pillow! It’s only now that I’ve seen the link, but the simple design is so clean and beautifully balanced! I am currently trying to finish my own antler pillow (but I went with white background and red reindeer :))))

27. Sarah says:

I love this! It’s so annoying that we can’t get those geometric prints over here in the UK. I see it all over blogland and a WANT. lol! I like your version better too BTW. Much cuter!

28. Tiara says:

I love this pillow. It would actually work in my house year round… I live in Tahoe :)

29. Sarah says:

LOVE. I pinned that West Elm pillow to my DIY board, but ended up doing something a little different. I think yours is SO much cuter than the West Elm one (totally jealous of your Target find pillows!)
    Sarah

30. Amber says:

Any chance you can share a downloadable copy of the image you used or a link to its original source? I’m having trouble finding a head on silhouette that is cute and not overlly intricate.

• Aimee says:

I did have to mess with this image a bit, but I’ll look and see if I saved a copy of just the outline and send it to you, too if I do! Have fun with your silhouette!!! XO, Aimee

31. Kellee Morgan says:

I am wondering if you could send me a copy of your silhouette too..I’ve spent hours on google images trying to find something similar and cant!

32. Tonya says:

I couldn’t get the deer silhouette image to load could you tell me which we sight you found it please? Thanks so much

33. Barb says:

I don’t think interfacing is what you mean–you don’t use interfacing to fuse something onto something else. I’m thinking you mean a fusible web like Heat n Bond?