Home Tours: Blend of Modern Romance

November 8, 2012 by 20 Comments

Don’t you just LOVE Home Tours?!  Jennifer blogs at The Old Painted Cottage has a cottage style, with a modern, romantic, French flair that is absolutely exquisite!  Every wall in every room and every room throughout the entire house is fresh and inspiring.  Jennifer has mastered the art of blending modern with time worn pieces and her attention to detail is truly a talent!
Dreamy Dwelling House TOur
Hello! So very nice to meet you. My name is Jennifer, and I blog over at The Old Painted Cottage. I’m excited to be guest blogging here for Aimee today!  My husband, Adam, and I live in a cozy 1200 square foot ranch-style home, in Southern California. We purchased our home 4 years ago, and we’ve been renovating it ever since. It was in a sad, desperate shape when we first laid eyes on it.  See for yourself. Here was the kitchen, the day we moved in, complete with missing oven door and painted dishwasher…

With little to no prior DIY experience, the two of us have tackled every single last square inch of this house.   Here’s how the kitchen looked after we single-handedly ripped out all the old kitchen cabinets, tile, sink and appliances…

When we first started moving in, nearly all of our old furnishings (which were mostly leftovers from my Shabby Chic, let’s paint everything white and put a rose on it phase) didn’t hold up in our new home. I tried it every which way, but this ranch-style home just begged for something new and completely different, so I reinvented my style as I went. If you look at my blog from 3 and 4 years back, you can witness firsthand the photographic documentation of my style evolution unfold in many of my older posts.

I’m really happy with the end result. Our home feels cozy, intimate and speaks to both my husband and I, which is very important.

Among other things, I’m an antique dealer, so many of the furnishings in our home are the result of leaving the house before dawn and hitting the flea markets with flashlights and cash in hand. While I primarily buy for clients and my online website, if something catches my eye that’s perfect for our home, that baby is coming home with me!

Don't you just LOVE Home Tours?!

Our kitchen we completely ripped out and renovated from scratch. The cabinets, butcher block countertops and sink are from IKEA. The island is from JC Penney. The pendant lights were found on eBay. The subway tile is from Home Depot. And the small white sideboard Adam rescued from the trash outside of a wood workshop.

We had our handyman build the two chunky white shelves in the dining room, and the 11 foot fishermans table was built by my husband and myself.

Home Tours - ItsOverflowing

Our master bedroom is actually quite tiny in size, so a large statement piece, such as this mantel turned headboard provides a perfect focal point for the space. I found the mantel on the side of someone’s house and offered them $100 for it. I dragged it home, painted it, upholstered it along with matching fabric covered buttons and the rest is history…

Although we have nearly everything completed (with the the exception of our master bath – that one’s going to require adequate time and funds), I still manage to come up with new projects all the time. I love interior design, and as I’ve often been told, I have “ants in my pants” by those that know me best. Just when it’s complete, I’m ready to start all over again with an entirely new concept. Keeps my husband on his toes.  Keep up with my house updates on my blog, The Old Painted Cottage.   oxox, Jennifer

More fabulous House Tours (here).

Comments

20 Responses to “Home Tours: Blend of Modern Romance”
  1. Shauna @Satori Design for Living says:

This is a gorgeous home! I love the vintage touches, neutral palette and the personality that is shown throughout.

2. Great feature!! What a beautiful home…..I love it! Especially the huge cloche on coffee table… dreamy!!!

3. Kim says:

I love her home and style and so fun seeing all this in one post.

4. Oh my goodness! I’m in love with your home! Great job! :)

5. shari says:

Just stumbled across your blog and love, love everything right down to the bakery letters on the wall! It’s all gorgeous! Shari

6. Aimee says:

Totally! She has such amazing vision for her home! XO, Aimee

7. You are so talented! We are leaving our 1932 Tudor for a new construction builder’s home and I am very nervous about living in a new house. You have given me hope!

8. Oh my gosh!!! I absolutely LOVE it! It looks incredible, bravo! Found you on Six Sisters Stuff link party, and I can’t wait to follow along with you!! Have a great weekend :)

– Fotini { http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com }

9. What a beautiful home! So casual, yet so elegant. Simplicity without being boring! Thanks for sharing! Life to the full, Melissa

10. Mariel says:

I would love for you to share this (or any of your other great ideas) at the link party going on now at ‘Or so she says …’ We’ve also got a fun “Favorite Things” giveaway going on right now. Hope to see you there! http://www.oneshetwoshe.com

11. Jeannie-JB says:

What a beautiful home – I popped over to your site too. Would have loved to pin some of your decor (I always give credit to original source when I can find it), but was unsuccessful. Love Luv Love it!

12. Kelly says:

I love it all…but especially the dining room with those big chunky shelves. :)
    Kelly

13. Angela says:

Wow, I LOVE it! I’m going to save some of these pics to use as inspiration when decorating!

14. Erin says:

I love your house! You have an awesome mix of textures all throughout it! Love it!

15. debra says:

I love it!!! Live in a small space here and I am familiar with the challenges of that …this is all just lovely!

16. So beautiful. Love it all, there are so many wonderful vintage cottage-like details, it really all comes together so well. I love those numbered plates in the kitchen too..kind of unexpected, but it works. Thanks for sharing

17. Mariel says:

Thanks for linking up! Hope to see some of your great ideas again this week on ‘Or so she says …’ http://www.oneshetwoshe.com

18. Suzan says:

What a beautiful home – but just loving that kitchen – every detail!