How to Make a Christmas Pillow – Monogram Letters

November 7, 2012 by 16 Comments

I was  invited to participate in ‘One Item…What will you choose?’  Fabric paint was the one item this week and I had fun making something I’d planned to make for a long time!  After I show you my fabric paint project, How to Make a Christmas Pillow, check out the links below for more fabric paint projects!

Have you started thinking about Christmas Decor yet?  I’ve been crushing on Avocado Green for a while now, and when my MIL visited last, she brought me a fun gift she’d found at an estate sale:  A Vintage 1970s Green Glass Bubble Stopper Top.  It’s so cute and totally meant to be…green is definitely going to be blasting at my house this Christmas!  Know what else I’ve found that I’m going to get lots of use out of…a FREE link to Monogram Letters!!  You’ve got to love Martha!  I used these fonts on my Silhouette CAMEO, but you can also print them at home and cut them out of  paper or contact paper/drawer liner to make your own stencil.

I used my stencil and platinum metallic fabric paint with a dabber to add the letters ‘J’ and ‘O’ to a white IKEA pillow cover.  Once the letters were painted and dry, I outlined my stencil letter ‘Y’ onto the pillow cover and used 3 strands of avocado green embroidery thread to hand stitch the outline of the letter ‘Y.’  If you need a bit of a refreshers course on embroidery, you will want to make your first stitch, then enter from the middle of the first stitch to create your second stitch…continue overlapping each stitch until complete!  Seriously easy stuff!   And I’m loving my cozy-cute Christmas Pillow mixed with my perfect houndstooth pillows – yes, I’ve done a little rearranging.  I’ll show you my Fall Master Decor soon, until then enjoy the pic below and if you haven’t seen it yet, check out the pillow I made last month…crossing my fingers you like it!

Living Savvy

Chaotically Creative

Simple Details

Satori Design for Living

Comments

16 Responses to “How to Make a Christmas Pillow – Monogram Letters”
  1. Tiffany says:

I love the pillow! What a great idea!

2. Shauna @Satori Design for Living says:

Love how you mixed up the painted letter with the embroidery. I am totally bookmarking those monogram letters for future reference. Thanks for participating!

3. Simply beautiful! I love this idea!

4. Anja says:

Cute! Easy embroidery projects like that make such a statement! =)

5. So fun, Aimee! Love your clever idea to mix the fonts and embroidery! Your pillow last month is just as cute, looks like we share the same pillow addiction! :) Thanks for the monogram download too!

6. Lesley says:

Aimee, I love this. I have to give you props because I cannot hand stitch to save my life! Your pillow looks fun, modern but retro all at the same time. Great job. Lesley

7. antiquechase says:

Love this! On the monogram letters, did you import each letter into your cameo library? what’s the quickest way to do this? does that sound like a dumb question? sorry!

• Aimee says:

I pulled the first letter into my library and then traced it. Then I pulled the next letter into the library (same document) and traced it. I lined the J and O up and grouped them when I had the sizes the same. Then cut the vinyl. I did the Y separately because I needed more room width-wise! A great question!!! I probably won’t pull the rest of the letters over to my library until I need them. I may never use the letter Q. Ha! Let me know if I can help in any other way! XO, Aimee

8. What a super idea. I love the monogram. Hugs, Marty

9. This is so cute! I love the pillow and the green touches. You are so creative.
    Hugs,
    Nici

10. Love this idea! Now on my holiday to do list :) Thanks for the inspiration, stopping over from Happy Hour!

11. Ruth says:

Love this pillow. It is a great addition to holiday decor!
    thanks for sharing the fonts.

12. love how you mix this pillow up! very creative!

13. Debbie says:

Aimee, that’s adorable! So simple to make, and it looks great with the other pillows. You’re so creative!

14. Roeshel says:

Simply awesome! I love it, Aimee. I’m doing a white Christmas round up from last week’s party and including a link back. Thank you for sharing {and for the link to free monogram fonts! SO cool!}

Have a happy Thanksgiving! :)

Roeshel

15. Sarah says:

LOVE! I made a “JOY” pillow to this week. Tis the season, I guess. :)