Charming Cottage Home Tour

December 6, 2012 by 28 Comments

Ready for another Dreamy Dwelling Home Tour!?!  Thanks so much Brenda for providing this week’s Dreamy Dwelling Home Tour!  I absolutely adore your Charming Cottage!

Hi there! I’m Brenda from cottage4c.
Welcome, and I hope that you enjoy it!

We bought our little stone cottage in 2005. The outside was so inviting, and completely charmed us.  The inside, not so much! There wasn’t a wall, floor, or ceiling that didn’t need to be updated in some way. Almost every project has been a DIY project, which is why there is still much to do. (Oh – 4 busy kids are also the reason there is still so much to do!)

Everyone comes into our house through the side door, the porch side. I love our old porch. It’s a great place to hang out on warm summer evenings.

The door that is meant to be the entry is on the other side of the house. Using the porch-side door means that we walk right into the living room. Not ideal, but we make it work.  This is the room where we spend the most time.

This side of the room doesn’t look exactly the same since I took this picture. I moved the Hoosier cabinet to another room, and have obviously change the mantel decor! We’ve had so many dreary days, and I haven’t managed to snap a good picture recently.

Next is the dining room.

We have been blessed with several great pieces of hand-me-down furniture that we cherish in our home. My mother-in-law had this hutch shipped to us from her home in Florida. It’s had a couple of makeovers since we got it. I just finished it’s latest look – and I can’t wait to add some Christmas dressing!

This old door came from my parents’ house. It was actually old when my dad put it on their coal cellar over 60 years ago! I love how it has aged. My mom recently told me that some of the discoloration towards the bottom of the door was caused by my dad (who refinished and reupholstered furniture for a living). After he cleaned his paint brushes in turpentine, he would then wipe the brushes on the door to dry them off a bit. Love that!!

And behind this old door will be a really awesome new bathroom someday (soon I hope)!

Here’s the kitchen. This past summer I gave it a makeover with paint and a few accessories. I’d still like to update the counter and backsplash, but I’m so happy with how much brighter it is with just paint and a new window treatment!

This is our actual entry. It serves as much more than that for us though. I use the Hoosier as a mini office.

We re-purposed this old display cabinet (can you believe the previous owners left it behind?) to use as a pantry.

The closet behind the cabinet will also be converted into a pantry. (Small house with 6 people – I use every bit of space that I can!).

The entry part of our entry isn’t quite finished yet. There will be built-in (looking) shelves to corral hats and gloves in the winter, and bathing suits and towels in the summer. Each kid will have their own shelf – can’t wait!  One last little room that has been updated is our upstairs bathroom. Right now it’s sporting some Christmas cheer!

I hope that you enjoyed the tour! As I’ve mentioned, there are several projects to be finished, and a ton more that haven’t even been started yet. Feel free to stop by and check the progress!

More fabulous House Tours (here).

Comments

28 Responses to “Charming Cottage Home Tour”
  1. Anja says:

Wow, this house is truly amazing, I wish my garden looked as neat and charming! And I love that you are also crazy enough to make a popcorn wreath! I made mine two or three years ago, but I haven’t really found a place to hang it in our new home. Well, great minds think alike! ;-)

2. Jill Flory says:

Looks wonderful! and I totally understand how long it takes to DIY! We are at 15+ years now on our house and are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on the inside. Our outside isn’t near as pretty as yours though. We have a couple porches to redo and siding to put on and we will be needing to think about a new roof soon too. always something to keept he DIYer busy!

• Brenda says:

Indeed, there is! My husband really wants to get the bathroom remodel started, but I keep sidetracking him with ‘small’ projects. I know that once he starts it, he’ll be unavailable for anything else until it’s done!
      Thanks for your sweet comment!
      Brenda

3. Yes, Anja…I totally agree! Charming! Brenda’s home is perfect! I grew up in a family of six and it was tons of fun…I love that Brenda has made her house a beautiful and cozy home for her family!!!

4. Shauna @Satori Design for Living says:

So charming. Love that blue door and all the vintage touches.

5. What a lovely home, so warm and welcoming….charming is the word that describes it best. Thanks for sharing!

6. Angelina says:

So absolutely adorable and COZY!! I love it and thank you Brenda for sharing your space with us and Aimee for hosting it. :)
    Have a great day, ladies.
    Angelina

• Brenda says:

Agelina – thanks! The small size of our home definitely adds to the cozy vibe. As often as I complain about not having space for things, I don’t think I’d change it if I could! (ok -maybe a small addition to the back wouldn’t be so bad. lol!)
      Brenda

7. Amy Renea says:

beautiful and cozy home!!! Thanks for inviting us in!

8. Jane says:

I love Brenda’s home and all they have done with it! She has a wonderful blog that I just started following!

XO,
    Jane

9. Ahhhh this is truly a dreamy dwelling. LOVE the exterior and that blue barn door!

• Brenda says:

Thanks Beth! I read your Spotlight on Hometalk last night – thanks for all of the great information. I may be stalking you a little since reading it! lol.
      Brenda

10. Wow, lovely tour! What, may I ask, is that planted in front of the house? Your home looks beautiful – inside and out!

• Aimee says:

Maybe Brenda will stop by and leave a comment with a link about her landscape! She has quite the green thumb, right!
      XO, Aimee

• Brenda says:

Thank you so much! The border of the bed is impatiens – they just got really huge the summer that I took the picture (which was 2 summers ago, because last year they all died from a mildew! :(). The tall, spikey flowers are cleomes. I usually also add snapdragons, verbena, and petunias here and there.
      I dream about next summer’s garden all winter long. I love it!!! Thanks so much for your kind words.
      Brenda

11. What a beautiful home. It is so charming on the outside. And the inside is even better. I love your kitchen. I just love it. I love that shade of blue. beautiful.

• Brenda says:

Jenny – thank you so much!! The kitchen is probably my favorite room. I was really nervous about it, but was really happy about how it turned out. I’m so glad that you like it!
      Brenda

12. Your home is so amazing. My husband and I love stone cottages, and yours is lovely! Your kitchen cabinets, especially, are to die for.

13. Ana Maria says:

What a lovely and inviting home! I just forwarded your blog to my grown-up kids and several family members and friends. You see, your home has validated my decor style! I live in a bigger home, some might call it “grander”,and yet I long for a cottage like yours! I am surrounded by big, “elegant” homes and I dislike them more each day. Most of my friends cannot understand my love for cottages, chippy decor and vintage/antique loved items.

Your home is lovely and your family is beautiful! God bless!

14. Ana Maria says:

Oh! … and please don’t “update” your kitchen! And whatever you do, don’t put in granite and stainless steel appliances! Your kitchen is unique – not cookie-cutter.

15. mary says:

What a sweet little house and the outside is so very charming almost Kincaid like! Love all your personal touches and I can so empathize with you with all the projects still to do- We have an old house and like you, everything needs a bit of help!

16. You have a beautiful home! I can’t wait to see what you reveal behind that awesome turquoise door! Thanks for sharing your home!

17. Katie says:

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog when google-ing window treatments and am wondering if you made the roman shade in your kitchen or if you ordered it somewhere? Also, is it hung above the window frame so that when it is lifted, it clears the entire window? I appreciate any help!