12/31/12

How to Print on Fabric with Your Printer (Burlap)

We’ve spent the last year working on lots of remodel updates and this year I hope to focus on decorating the walls in my home.  When creating wall photo collages, I really like incorporating a variety or art.   I’m excited to show you a fun, easy, and inexpensive option for art:  here’s how to print on fabric with your printer!

Print on Fabric Using Your Printer - ItsOverflowing

To print on fabric, you need a document to print, an 8×10 piece of fabric, spray adhesive, and an ink jet printer.

Print on Fabric Using Your Printer - ItsOverflowing 2

I created artwork that shows off our family mantra using an online editing program called picmonkey…any software program would work, just set up the document to be 8×10 (or whichever size you’re wanting to frame).

Print on Fabric Using Your Printer - ItsOverflowing 4

When the document is ready to go, use spray adhesive on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of computer paper and press an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of burlap.  Once the fabric is adhered, trim any excess around the edges.  (Cover your work area when using spray adhesive because you will have some over spray).

Print on Fabric Using Your Printer - ItsOverflowing 3

Empty the paper holder from the printer and fill with your burlap lined paper.  Press print and Viola!  If you’d like to remove your paper backing you can, but I opt to leave it attached to the burlap, and simply open my frame back, and insert my new piece of art!  I’m so excited to use this in my art collage in my front room.  Bare walls are on the way out.

Print on Fabric Using a Home Printer - It's Overflowing

I wanted to share the printable (here) if you’d like to make your own!

Family Rules Goals ItsOverflowing

I love that making a burlap framed quote is a fast and easy project with a big impact!  I’m so excited to have texture to add to my walls.  I hope to show you my collage wall soon (it’s still in the works).  Happy crafting and decorating!!!

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Becky says:

Is this just for ink jet printers or will this work on laser jet printers? I want to try this! Thanks for sharing!

2. jenelle says:

do you have a printer that the paper goes straight thru or does it curve around rollers as it prints?

3. karen says:

Can this be done on any fabric or must it be burlap?

4. I’m curious as to what model and brand printer you used. Mine won’t handle burlap. I love the way yours turned out!

5. karen says:

I tried to print on burlap but it was so faint that it could hardly be read. Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Thank you

• I’m not sure Karen. I wonder if it’d help if you set your printer to a high quality of print so more ink would be used!?! Good luck friend! XO, Aimee

6. LoriN says:

Will you share the download to this document with us? I LOVE IT!

7. Great idea! I can see so many fun uses for this.

8. Thanks for sharing this idea, Aimee! I posted it on my blog as the Craft of the Week because I plan on making one or two of these for our kitchen. What a great idea!

9. Aimee this is awesome!!! I have so many things I want to make now 🙂

xoxo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

10. What an awesome tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

11. Great tip, thanks so much!

12. Thanks for sharing this great idea! Can’t wait to try it!

13. This is so great! I would have thought the burlap strings might get caught in the printer…I’m going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing!
    I saw you linking with Transformation Thursday
    Debbie 🙂

14. Aimee, I tried this recently and it turned out great. Love the quote. Thanks for joining the Open House party.

15. Too nice!! love it and I want try it.

16. Great idea! I love the idea of printing straight onto the fabric. I painted onto burlap earlier this year and by the end my hand was all cramped up! This seems much easier! 🙂

17. Thanks for the tip. I love the verse on burlap.

18. Great tutorial. I definitely want to try this. I would love for you to come and share this at my Winter Blues Wednesday party going on right now. Hope to see you there.

19. Aimee,
    thanks so much for sharing that great idea. I have seen that places and wondered how they did it.
    blessings, Nellie

20. That’s adorable. I really want to try printing on fabric…I’m always afraid it will get stuck and jam up my printer. I love your family “mantra”…those are such nice reminders 🙂

21. This is definitely something I have always wanted to try but have been super nervous about. Thanks for sharing!

22. So clever, Aimee! Great idea 🙂 xo Kristin

23. Such a great idea and I have everything I need to do this one! Yay!

I see some printing in my future.

24. I pinned this and posted it to fb! I’ve never done this but have wanted to! I really need to do this – on my list for 2013!

25. Awesome what a great idea, hope your NYE was a great one and 2013 will be another amazing year for you

26. I love this idea…would make a great gift as well. Thanks for sharing!

Happy New Year!
    Amy

27. I can’t wait to try this! Happy New Year!!

28. This is way much simpler then using freeze paper, I belive.
    Great idea, I will definitly try to make some 🙂
    Happy New Year!!

29. Fun project, I’ll have to try it!

30. aimee- i always wondered about this!! now that I know it won’t jam the printer I will have to try it. Happy New Year!

31. I’m so glad that you shared this, Aimee! You make it look so much easier than other examples that I’ve seen. Already pinned it to my Crafts board. Happy New Year!

32. I LOVE this idea Amy! So adorable. I would have been nervous it would jam the printer… Happy to see that’s not the case! This would be a fun project to take on.

33. eva scott says:

Sweet! Thanks for these tips. Pinned it so I’d remember later.