Three Simple Steps to Painting a Canvas

December 17, 2012 by 19 Comments

I showed you my fun Retro Santa Painting earlier on my Room by Room Christmas Tour…it was so easy to make.  You may remember doing this years ago…I totally did when I was little!  I’m going to let you in on my little secret if you haven’t done this before…here are Three Simple Steps to Painting a Canvas.  It’s so easy, you’ll want to plan this as an activity while the kids are home, they’ll love you for it!

DIY Santa Painting @ItsOverflowing

Search online for a graphic that you love…the options are limitless!  Print it and then turn a pencil on it’s side and shade the entire back of the graphic.  Don’t strive for perfection here…just make sure it’s covered.

How to Paint-Tips for Kids and Adults ItsOverflowing

Next, trim the graphic and then place the shaded edge so it touches the front side of your canvas (these are on sale like crazy this time of year so load up).  You’re going to still feel like you’re in Kindergarten…trace all the edges.  Everywhere you make a mark, the shaded back will transfer to your canvas giving you a perfect outline for painting your image.

How to Paint-Tips for Kids and Adults ItsOverflowing 3

Isn’t the detail unreal!  Such a Jolly Retro Santa from The Graphic Fairy.  I have an assortment of cheap paint brushes that I switched between in painting my canvas.  Painting this cute guy made me feel awfully jolly myself!

DHow to Paint-Tips for Kids and Adults ItsOverflowing 4

That’s it…Steps to Painting a Canvas…easy, don’t you think!  Try it then post any canvases you create on my facebook page…I totally want to see them!  And if you haven’t stopped by for my Room by Room Christmas Tour, come on over!

DIY Santa Painting @ItsOverflowing

Comments

19 Responses to “Three Simple Steps to Painting a Canvas”
  1. Great technique–and love the graphic!

2. He turned out super cute! I love him!

3. Pam says:

cute! and simple enough even I can do one! Thanks!

4. Ana says:

Cute! I love the retro look and simplicity of this project.

5. Diana says:

I love him the graphic is great.

6. Jill Flory says:

Oh my word. I am SO glad you shared this technique for transfering an image! Totally awewome – and I will be buying some canvases for my little artists around here who never seem to get enough of drawing and coloring and painting!

7. Angelina says:

So cute, Aimee.. :)
    Angelina

8. Debbie says:

Such a great tutorial Aimee, and the artwork looks so darn cute. Can’t wait to give this one a try!

Debbie

9. Tanya says:

This is awesome Aimee!! So many fun things you can do with a canvas, I LOVE your retro Santa :)

xoxo, Tanya

10. You’re so clever! Thank you for sharing. A very Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

11. Christine says:

What a great idea, a Jolly Retro Santa.
    I am going to try and do one and see if it turns out a bit like yours
    Thanks for sharing

12. Mel says:

Oh fun, what a great tutorial, my mind is reeling with how many ways I could use this. Thanks for sharing the transfer tip and santa looks amazing

13. Such a cute project! Thank for the tips! I would love for you to stop by and link this up to my weekly link party. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-21.html

14. Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing it with us! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

15. This is just adorable! What a fun project and he looks so cute!

16. bj says:

Holy Cow….this is so awesome that I can’t wait to try it, too.
    Have a great Christmas…
    Over from Craftberry….

17. This is so cute! I totally love this method – still use it!