DIY Chalkboard Labels

January 28, 2013 by 17 Comments

I love the start of a new year…it always feels like a fresh new slate!  I’ve been pulling things off shelves and have made several trips to the store to pick up more organizational products.  I’m a huge fan of anything that helps my family better implement the systems I’ve set up in our home…these DIY Chalkboard Labels are a perfect addition to the new-to-me dresser in the boys room.  (I’ll fill you in on the dresser scoop real soon).

DIY Chalkboard Label-ItsOverflowing

Here’s a little tutorial on how to make DIY Chalkboard Labels!  All major craft stores sell chalkboard paint and a variety of cut wood shapes.  I chose the 3″ x 2″ plain rectangles for my labels.  I sanded both sides of each board, then on a protected surface covered the front and sides of each rectangle with paint, using a roller (sponge or brush would work, too)…as would the spray paint variety!

DIY Chalkboard Label-ItsOverflowing2

Then I left the chalkboard paint to dry for a couple days.  When dry, I prepared the surface for use as a chalkboard by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk over the entire surface.

DIY Chalkboard Label ItsOverflowing

That’s it!  I erased the boards and started writing on the labels!

DIY-Chalkboard-Label-ItsOverflowing31

Since this dresser is used by my two little guys, I chose to write the label names with a Chalk Ink Marker, rather than traditional chalk which can be wiped away with one quick sweep of little fingers.  While writing with the chalk marker/chalk ink, I used a damp paper towel to rewrite my letters a couple times and get it just right.  Since this type of pen is usually intended for more porous surfaces (traditional chalkboards, glass, etc.) overtime, I may need to reapply a coat of chalkboard paint to change the wording.

DIY-Chalkboard-Label-ItsOverflowing7

To attach the labels to my boys’ dresser, I used a dab of glue from my hot glue gun. One day these labels will need to be removed or updated.  I’m always thankfully that hot glue is great about letting go when a season of change arrives!

…………………………………………………………………….

And in case you’re wondering how it’s working…over a month later, they’re putting their folded clothes in the right drawers (I didn’t say they are staying folded…that would take a miracle).

Shared first at A Bowl Full of Lemons!

Comments

17 Responses to “DIY Chalkboard Labels”
  1. Cassidy says:

Love it! Especially paired with the green dresser, can’t wait to see the deets on that! I did a very similar thing with the thicker wood rectangles at Michael’s on my son’s orange toy crates! I need to pick up one of those chalk markers! Check mine out here: http://cassidyscrochetcreations.blogspot.com/2012/12/custom-closet-storage-part-2.html?m=1

2. Linda says:

I’ve used chalkboard paint before but I did not
    “prepared the surface for use as a chalkboard by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk over the entire surface.”. Did I miss something? What is the purpose of rubbing a piece of chalk over the surface?

• Aimee says:

LOL! It is said to prepare the surface for the chalk so the chalk writes easily on the board. If you’ve had luck without, I wouldn’t add the step in. XO, Aimee

3. Diana says:

This is great I’m going to do this. If I change what is in the container or box I can erase it…. Awesome! I’ve been thinking about these chalkboard labels but they’re expensive. Now I know how to do it. Thank you!

4. Tonya S says:

I actually used chalkboard paint last night for the first time! I bought a set of 12 mason jars and painted the inserts on the top of the jars with the chalkboard paint. I plan on using them to store my left over spices :) Happy Organizing!

5. Kristen says:

These are too cute! I love the chalk ink markers – I use them on my cafe board that I have in my kitchen. Great idea for labels!

6. Angelina says:

Oh I LOVE these, Aimee.. Especially that handy Chalk Marker thing.. I will have to look into getting one or some : ) Does it erase like normal chalk?
    xo
    Angelina

7. Tanya says:

These are really cute Aimee! So hooked on chalkboards :)

xo-Tanya

8. Great idea on the chalk ink pens. I made some super quick chalk labels in my kitchen and while they look super cute they wipe off so easily. This is a much better solution and looks cleaner than the ones I created with regular chalk.

9. Jo-Anne says:

I like these really like them what a great idea………….

10. Vanessa says:

Those are so cute Aimee and I love how they look against the green of the dresser! :-)
    Vanessa

11. Luisa says:

I did not know chalkboard pens existed! How exciting :-) Thank you for sharing and thank you for visiting my blog!

12. I love these! I made some similar but attached them to clothespin for clipping onto my linen closet baskets. Chalkboard paint is so versatile.

13. Lisa says:

Cute idea – and I agree, clothes staying folded WOULD be a miracle :)

14. Great idea, Aimee! I know what you mean about the clothes not staying folded. They get the clothes in the right drawers, but I’d love for them to close their drawers too…maybe I should make a chalkboard sign that says “Close your drawer!” ;-)
    Hugs,