Get it Organized: Magazines

February 19, 2013 by 18 Comments

Get it Organized: Magazines.  Magazines are full of inspiration and with my job description as mom being very broad — cook, fashion consultant, homemaker expert, designer, decorator, crafter, party coordinator, and Dear Abby’s replacement — I like to hang onto them for awhile as a great resource.  I don’t always have the time to flip through them when they come in the mail, but at some point when I find some down time, a magazine in hand is one of my favorite ways to relax.  The issue many of run into when trying to get organized is finding a place to store magazines so they don’t accumulated stacked on desk and table surfaces.  Here are some of my favorite ideas for creatively storing magazines!

Get it Organized-Magazines-2-ItsOverflowing-copy

Not all magazines are keepers, some have only a few articles worth holding onto — cut those articles and store them in a binder under a specific category.  For the keep in tact magazines, here are some great storage solutions.  Magazine butlers have been around forever.  They are a great way to sort and organize magazines.

How to store magazines

West Elm

And if you have a few more magazines, magazine butler’s look great when they fill an entire shelf.  Colorful printed scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, or fabric covered cut cereal boxes is so fun!

Creating Space for Magazines ItsOverflowing

Moxie Girl

I love Reclaimed Wood, with a passion!  This diy ladder turned magazine – bedside table is so perfect.

Creative Ways to Store Magazines - ItsOverflowing

Simply Grove

Under an end table create a rolling platform for magazines using load-bearing casters on a brightly painted board — perfect for any room decor!.

How to Organzie Magazines ItsOverflowing

fargevandring

Old shutters are always a great accent in a room — use it as a storage solution for magazines makes it even better.

Use a Shutter to Store Magazines

My Repurposed Life

How to Build a Vertical Spine Bookcase.

Bookshelves. How to Build Wall Shelves 8 - ItsOverflowing

It’s Overflowing

I love this hanging line for above a desk.  It’s perfect for storing the magazines you don’t want to put away yet.  The silicone lines are super cool.  I’ll be on the lookout for a diy option next time I’m at my hardware store.

Creative Ideas for Magazine Organization - ItsOverflowing

A Merry Mishap

A crate on wheels is a great way to help magazines blend in with a room’s decor.

Creative Magazine Storage Solutions - ItsOverflowing

Uusikuu

If you look around your house you may find areas that could be assigned a specific storage solution.  I have a large ottoman that gives me a large area to stash my love for magazines.

How to Get Organized - Magazines - ItsOverflowing

It’s Overflowing

Allocate space inside a family room end table for magazines keeps them from piling up on tabletops.  It also provides a little accountability — run out of room, time to gift old issues to friends.

How to Store Magazines

BHG

Crate used to neatly organize magazines.  I wonder if I can talk my hubby into making this for me?!

Creative Ways to Organize Magazines ItsOverflowing

Merchant Design

Nightstands quickly become dumping grounds.  A bucket hanging from an outdoor plant hook is the perfect solution to store magazines for late night relaxing!

Creative ways to store magazines ItsOverflowing

BHG

Awesome, right!  Which idea inspires you most!?  Would any of these storage solutions work in your home!?  Do you already have a Get Me Organized: Magazines system working in your home!?  Please share in the comments!!!  I’ll be continuing my series ‘Help Me Organized’ in the weeks to come — I love figuring out ways to Get it Organized!

Comments

18 Responses to “Get it Organized: Magazines”
  1. I gave up on organizing magazines because it still meant I had a lot of magazines. Here’s what I do. The minute I see something in a magazine I like, I tear it out. I stick the articles in folders that are categorized and then file them. That way I’m not looking through magazines for “something I think I saw back in the November issue of ???”. I have a 2 drawer file cabinet full of awesome inspiration that is already categorized and waiting for me to pull something out when I want it. That’s just what works for me.

2. I love that idea of a board painted and on casters. Perfect! I am also really liking the last one: the box. A lot of great solutions!

3. great ideas and inspiration. love the shutter one

4. Julie @ Being Home says:

There sure are a lot of ideas on how to store magazines! Great inspiration! Not sure why, but I really like use of the shutter for magazines. Hmmm…ideas are brewing in my head… lol

5. Lauren says:

Hi, found you from the SSS link party! I love the ottoman idea although I am currently waiting on my new TV cabinet to arrive, which had spaces designed for magazines, board games and DVDs so I am excited to get that in my house and get organised!

6. Just today I’ve been weeding through old mags. Finally decided to flip through and rip out only my very favorite ideas. I have two wooden crates for magazines, and if they don’t fit in there, they’re going! Hopefully my mother-in-law won’t mind reading second hand magazines with pages missing here and there. :)

7. Magazines are like old friends and I cannot bear to part with my Traditional Homes collection — most of the others have gone into the recycling bin. Your post gave me some ideas about what to do with the remaining magazines.

8. Beth says:

Oh boy where do I start? I was once considered – by my three grown sons and husband – a magazine hoarder. I had boxes upon boxes of magazines in my basement that dated back to the early 80’s. I also had magazine files and binders of “important” and “inspirational” articles, recipes, craft ideas, and who knows what else. I had a three inch binder filled with exercise routines to do someday. Seriously? That does not include the organizers and stacks upon stacks of “current” magazines I had readily available (in piles stacked in every room) for someday when I had time. I was a busy professional. In May of 2011 I was unemployed and suddenly I had time. What did I do? For the entire summer I de-cluttered and I started with the magazines. What did I learn? Most of it was outdated material. Some of it I really didn’t want to do anymore. I had way too many recipes that if I cooked it all I would need 4 binders of exercise routines to get rid of the extra weight. And those exercise routines? If I haven’t used the information in the 10 years since I had started “organizing it” I doubted I ever would. So I recyles it all! I set a new rule that only VERY special magazines (collectors, special editions, etc) would be kept in the magazine organizers. I also vowed to read once magazine until it was done, cook the recipes and keep those that the family liked, and then recycle by donating the magazine by sending it along to a single mom who can’t afford to buy them. I also found Pinterest!!!!!! That is my new inspiration now and it provides me with the same joy and a lot more diversity. I only subscribe to one or two magazines now that provide meaningful and useful information, or whose pictures require me to snuggle up under a blanket or in a recliner in my yard to truly enjoy. Now my family says I hoard Pinterest boards. At least I don’t have to dust them or move them when I clean!!!!

• Aimee says:

What an AWESOME full circle! You are so right and I can relate in so many ways…a few magazines that allow you to curl up and relax are perfect, but Pinterest is where it’s at for inspiration!!! Thanks for your super great comment….crazy how busyness crowds more than just our time!!! XO, Aimee

9. toss ‘em! except maybe the prettiest or your one favorite publication. i recently did and was SO happy to have the empty space in my home. that is relaxing! With everything online these days and amazing resources like Pinterest, it’s all there for your inspiration! {if i had to choose one spot, it’d be the rolling crate – love!}

10. I love these ideas. I sometimes feel like I am drowning in magazines. My goal is to try and read them as quickly as they come in and recycle or give them away. Just pinned!

11. Jen Y says:

My favorite way to organise magazines actually wasn’t listed & that is Pinterest. I’m really trying to go paperless as much as I can. So not long after I joined Pinterest I realised I could pin most of what is in my old magazines.

As I read them I fold down the corner to remind me there’s something on that page I want to keep. Then I go online & search for that specific article, recipe or idea & pin it. I think about 80% of the time I’m able to find what was in the magazine & pin it. Sometimes the magazine is too new & their website doesn’t have that up yet. Sometimes the site won’t allow pins.

If I come to something I cannot pin I re-evaluate whether I really want to save that idea. If I do, I scan & save it to my hard-drive. I don’t want to scan & save to Pinterest because of copyright issues.

This has really helped me declutter almost 30 yrs worth of ideas I had saved on paper!

12. Rita says:

Wow! What a great roundup of ideas! I love some of these ideas and can’t wait to try them out.

13. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz@HoosierHomemade

14. I love this series on organization and the floating shelves – so gorgeous AND useful! I recently decluttered by tearing out pages and sticking them in a plastic page protectors and then a big notebook, but I still need to do something else because I’ve already used so many page protectors, it’s crazy! Thanks for some great ideas!

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

15. Thanks so much for sharing all these good ideas!

16. what a great round-up of ideas! i think with any solution, the simple idea of creating a ‘limiting space’ for them to be stowed is key. Then, just like you pointed out, when that area is ‘full’ it’s time to cull down.

cheers!
    ~H

17. Mary says:

I use my history, science, architecture, health and other magazines for research for writing. They are my research papers and I need to find a way to save them