How to Organize a Hall Closet

February 5, 2013 by 28 Comments

Most of us stash way too much in our hall closet for lack of a better storage solution. In a panic of not being able to find what we need amongst the chaos, we buy more of the same thing and it becomes just another layer in the hall closet.  Eventually the mess can’t be put off any longer!  My sister and I busted our little tail ends to get her closet space sorted and organized…the results are awesome!  It’s amazing what a few hours of time, a willingness to purge the inessentials, and a whole lot of storage boxes can do for a multifunctional hall closet gone wild!

Organizing-Hall-Closet-ItsOverflowing1How to Organize a Hall Closet (aka, taking an overgrown closet of randomness and changing it into a useable, functional space).

Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.53.40 PM

Organizing Hall Closet ItsOverflowing 2

Step One. Unload everything in the closet to get a good idea of the actual usable space, then draw a diagram of the shelf dimensions so you know what type of storage bins will work with the space.

how to organize

Step Two. Go shopping for storage bins. Large bins are necessary, but small bins often allow for better sorting. In the picture below, smaller bins were used to sort gift bags into specific categories: Christmas sacks, boy sacks, and girl sacks. Detailed organization helps cut the search time when taking care of chores in daily life.  It’s easier to know when specific gift bags need to be replenished when they’re in separate bins.  I love to buy Container Store bins – I’m not an affiliate, just a fan.

How to Organize a Hall Closet ItsOverflowing 4

Step Three. Purchase bins that…

• are the same brand so they stack easily.

• see-thru so you know what’s inside without opening or reading the label.

• will be sold in stores for years to come so you can keep with a system.

• come in a variety of sizes.

• I love to buy Container Store bins – I’m not an affiliate, just a fan.

Organizing-Hall-Closet-ItsOverflowing-5

Organizing-Hall-Closet-ItsOverflowing-6

Step Four. Be willing to let go of items that you haven’t used over the last year and donate items that could benefit others.  Storage bins are often a great motivator for purging. Remember your goal is to have a manageable space.

Organizing-Hall-Closet-ItsOverflowing-15

Step Five. Place like items into bins….a bin for pool towels, twin sheets, full sheets, king sheets, sewing, crafts, etc.

Organizing-Hall-Closet-ItsOverflowing-14

Step Six. By organizing this hall closet in bins and purging unneeded items the closet holds…

• the items that were stashed previously.

• the contents of an additional dresser filled with craft supplies.

• and still has room to grow.

Organizing-Hall-Closet-ItsOverflowing-12

Have you ever wondered if storage bins really optimize space? The answer is definitely YES!  My sister’s hall closet is totally blasting with order and there’s still room to grow!  It’s important to have everything you own in view, or it’s possible you’ll forget you ever bought it.

Organizing Hall Closet ItsOverflowing 22

Organizing-Hall-Closet-ItsOverflowing

Do you have any closets that you’re needing to sort through?!!

Comments

28 Responses to “How to Organize a Hall Closet”
  1. ColleenB. says:

Great job on the closet organization.
    I also love the clear plastic bins but for my heavy blankets, comforters,quilts, extra pillows, sheets, etc. I like using those bags that you can suck the air out which really makes for more room when it comes to storing things on shelves especially in a closet like this.
    ColleenB.

2. Very impressive!! I’m inspired to work on my hall closet..xx

3. carol jane says:

Its awesome, however,is that a store everything closet? Thats alot of different items in 1 closet.I have a linen closet,a craft closet, and separate Christmas storage bins. Guess it depends on how much space we have. You gave me inspiration to get going on my organizing!!!!

• Aimee says:

Yes…with three little sweeties in her rancher home, this good-sized closet is serving a lot of purposes! It’s amazing how much more space she has now that it’s cleared out and organized. XO, Aimee

4. Christa says:

Great job! I love the clear bins. Plus having stuff in bins prevents it from falling out.

5. I LOVE to organize…that is when I have time. But when I go into organization mood…there is no stopping me :)

6. Megan says:

Everything in your closet is so easy to find and looks great. I love how you can see everything in the clear bins, so nothing is every missing in action. :) Megan

7. Jo-Anne says:

Bloody awesome my hallway closet is not as neat but it is not a complete mess either………..meaning I can open it and stuff no longer hits me on the head which is good………..lol

8. Danette says:

This is exactly where I’m at right now. I so needed to post. Thank you for the help.

9. Love your closet. It is so organized! :) Erin

10. Linda says:

Wild isn’t even the word for some of my closets!! Tornado or Hurricane is more the words. Thanks for showing this great organized closet. I can really blog about this also but I wouldn’t want to show the “before”. ha ha Would love to have you share this at What to Do Weekends Party, too. Already following you. Linda

11. Jennie says:

I just re-organized my table linen closet which I did with clear bins years ago. It’s amazing how much easier life is when things are organized well, not to mention more economical because you don’t keep buying stuff you already have. In my case, I’m speaking of jewelry-making tools, of which I have many duplicates because I couldn’t find the right tool when I needed it. It’s time to organize my crafts as well as I do my linens and dishes! Thanks for the inspiration.

12. Laura Bray says:

Nothing makes me happier than organization. Such a pretty closet. Now I want to run off and get some storage bins!

13. The closet looks great, Aimee! That has to be a wonderful feeling to have that closet organized.

14. Looking at how beautiful your organized closet is makes me smile. If only the entire world was this organized. Found you via Tatertotsandjello

15. Carissa says:

it’s sooo important to list out what you need before you go shopping for containers. it looks so much better!

16. Wow so much better. I need to check out the container store, I get so frustrated when stores keep changing their storage bins!
    I just might get working on sorting all my craft supplies this weekend:)

XO,
    Christy

17. Tracy says:

Looks great! If you ever need “pretty” storage (like for an open space/shelving) check out Thirty-One. I am an Independent Consultant and we have adorable patterned bins/totes/bags for all sorts of storage & organizational needs! Stop by my site if you need anything: mythirtyone.com/tracybillet/

18. Now that is one organized closet Aimee! Love the idea of separating all the different gift bags! Thanks for sharing with us at MOnday Funday!

19. Oh…I love how you organized your closet ~ everything is perfect!

I would love to have you link this (or any other post) to my party (my first week!) Project Inspire{d} I hope to see you there.

Have a great week!
    ~Mary Beth~

20. This is awesome! I love it all organized. Great job.

We would like to invite you to link up with us at our link party. It goes live tonight: http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
    The Busy Bee’s,
    Myrna and Joye.

21. Ginger says:

Yes, yes, yes! I was just thinking about reorganizing my hall closet. It’s full of medicines, sheets, towels, and junk that we probably ought to toss or thrift away.

I’d love if you shared this at my Show & Tell party this week. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/02/show-tell-13.html

22. Kathie says:

Looks awesome! I’d like to invite you to link up to Show and Tell Saturday at Sassy Little Lady!

Kathie

23. Paula says:

I totally needed this post right about now. You did an awesome organizing job. I would love it if you could share this wonderful post at our WIW Linky party. I hope you can join us.

Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

24. Storage in Sydney says:

Clear plastic bins are the answer to every messy closet or drawers! This will surely make the closet look more presentable and I hope that the kids will be inspired to not around the closet so much! I will try to incorporate this in our pantry too!

25. Anne says:

I love storage systems that rely on bins or boxes, because it’s a great way to stay balanced between hoarding too much stuff and purging too much stuff. I know “purging too much stuff” sounds like a nice problem to have (ha!), but I have moved many times in the past few years, and having too little stuff can actually be a problem – imagine having to go out and buy new things for EVERY project you try, because you legitimately don’t own an old towel or an extra hanger.

I love boxes because it lets you keep some things you’re not sure you’ll need (because as long as it all fits, the box will be taking up the same amount of space anyway), but as soon as the box starts overflowing you know it’s time to donate some items.

• Anne says:

Oh, and of course you have a beautifully organized system! I wish my closets were half as neat! Ha, I went off on an ode to boxes and forgot to compliment the whole inspiration for it.