02/27/13

Lampshade DIY

I had some leftover fabric when I sewed the kitchen curtains…it was perfect for a quick lampshade diy.  We’ve had a few days of nice weather and baseball practice is back in full force.  Time to start adding touches of color to my home!  Recovering the lamp shade was pretty easy, I thought it’d be fun to share how I did it with you..

Easy way to Upcycle ItsOverflowing

I separated the shade from the lamp base, grabbed my sewing scissors, some fabric spray adhesive, and the fabric I wanted to use.

Lampshade DIY 4 ItsOverflowing

A little sneak peek behind the lamp in the picture below — I’m loving my new family organization system.  Life moves so fast, I was having trouble keeping track of life’s important dates!  More on that later.

DIY Cover a Lampshade ItsOverflowing

My lampshade is 9 inches tall and slightly angled.  I used a piece of fabric, 38 inches long and 17 inches wide.  Depending on the angle of your shade you’ll need to allow enough fabric.  The more angled the shade, the more fabric you will need and the more obvious your fabric’s pattern change will be.

Lampshade DIY ItsOverflowing 3

To wrap the fabric around the lampshade, I sprayed the wrong side of the fabric, then started attaching one end of the fabric to the lampshade, after a small portion was adhered, I used my hands to remove bubbles, then continued wrapping.   I continued pressing the fabric to the shade until the shade was completely covered.

Lampshade DIY ItsOverflowing 2

When the shade was covered, I trimmed the excess around the top and bottom, leaving about a half an inch to fold into the inside of the lampshade.  Once trimmed, I glued the seam with more fabric glue.

Lampshade DIY ItsOverflowing 5

Then I cut a slit where the fabric meets the shade’s frame.

Lampshade DIY ItsOverflowing 6

The seam was attached with a bit more fabric glue — I folded the top piece of the seam under 1/8 of an inch before adding the adhesive.

Lampshade DIY ItsOverflowing 8

If your shade will be visible you may want to choose fabric in a small pattern without visible repeats.  I didn’t worry about the repeat pattern of my fabric and think it’s still real cute!

Lampshade DIY ItsOverflowing 7

Here’s the lamp looking pretty in my living room!

Recover Fabric Lamp Shade ItsOverflowing

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Yvette-Michelle @ Crafted Spaces says:

I love the fabric and it is such a cute lamp. I have a few lampshades that can do with a makeover, just looking for the right fabric. Thanks so much for sharing.

2. Katja @ Shift Ctrl ART says:

The fabric is beautiful. Love your lamp. It’s great when you have just the right left-over to complete yet another project, right?

3. Selene Galindo says:

Looks so awesome! I love the pop of yellow!
    Selene @ restorationbeauty.com

4. Julia Kendrick says:

I absolutely love the way it turned out! Thanks so much for sharing! Now my head is spinning thinking of what I can do to my lamps! 🙂

5. I love this!! What type of fabric did you use? It looks like a heavier canvas, but I’m wondering if you could do it with any material.

6. Jessi @ Practically Functional says:

I just love this Aimee! It’s so simple and elegant! I featured this today on my blog, so stop by and check it out/grab a Featured button: http://practicallyfunctional.net/2013/03/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-40/

7. Spray adhesive is so amazing to me! I just love it. Great idea! xo Kristin

8. Little Bit says:

It turned out great Aimee! I love your choice of fabric for the shade too. Little Bit

9. Amy says:

The shade looks great, such beautiful fabric. Thanks for the tutorial!

10. Love the fresh and clean look of your lampshade!
    I’m having a link party at Homa Style that ends Tuesday evening.
    I would love you to link up!
    The link to the party is

I help promote links to my parties by additional links to facebook, twitter, or pinterest.

11. Debbie reFresh says:

I have several shades that need a makeover! Love your fabric choice.
    Debbie

12. This looks amazing! I would love for you to join the Pinworthy Projects link party! http://www.atkinsondrive.com/pinworthy-projects-link-party-week-9/

13. Julie Fagundes says:

I LOVE this…and will be covering two lampshades during naptime today (hopefully!) I have been bugged by these ugly shades for a while…and wanted to do something with them.

thanks for the idea!
    Julie

• Awesome Julie! Just make sure you leave ample fabric…you can always trim it more later! XO, Aimee

14. Deb Claytor says:

I have a lampshade that is navy with white polka dots that I want to cover, any recommondations since yours was white?

15. Nancy Daivs says:

Just what I needed to see. I have an antique lamp but the shade has seen its days of brightbess. Thank you for sharing.

16. Great makeover! I spruced up a couple of lampshades this winter, and it is amazing what a little ingenuity will do! Happy Thursday from the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

17. Selene Galindo says:

Wow! What an incredible difference that made! I love the fabric you chose, very vibrant and pretty!
    Selene @ restorationbeauty.com

18. The HOME GIRL says:

OOH, I love this! I have a few lampshades I’d like to redo, and this looks like a perfect way to do it. I also LOVE the fabric you chose to cover this lamp…Gorgeous!!! =D Thanks for sharing this!

19. So prety and it sounds like it would be easy to do…………..

20. Well isn’t that just the most adorable lampshade I’ve ever seen?! Looks pretty simple, too! Must try! Thanks for sharing with us!!

~Abby =)

21. Julie @ Being Home says:

Looks great! I have been wanting to try and cover some lamp shades of mine. Not sure why, but I am super nervous I will mess up the whole thing. Then I will be out of a lamp shade. lol Love the pop of yellow against your room decor. 🙂

22. love the fabric pattern and color!

23. Rhiannon says:

love that fabric! do you know the name of the print? what a great update.

24. FABBY says:

Great tutorial, I’ve been wanting to do mine, as my shades are getting old. I like your fabric choise. Thank you.
    FABBY

25. Great tutorial. I love your fabric and the shade looks beautiful. Hugs, Marty

26. April Hoff says:

Love this! LOVE the fabric, where did you find it?

27. Diana says:

I really like the bright golden yellow in the fabric. I think it’s like a neutral, because there are few colors that don’t blend well with it. It also adds a pop of color which is what everyone needs going into spring! To Spring…….

• You are so right Diana…yellow is a neutral in my home, too!! Welcome Spring!!!

XO, Aimee