Mini Heart Garland Cake Topper

February 13, 2013 by 17 Comments

This Valentine’s Day I made a delicious Easy Coconut Cream Cake for my family and topped it with this super cute Mini Heart Garland Cake Topper. If you don’t have fun plans for ‘Heart’ Day, check out this super easy and fun tutorial, compliments of a book I recently reviewed and totally love —

DIY-Cake-Banner-ItsOverflowing

Craft-a-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects by Sarah Goldschadt

If you’ve visited before, you know that It’s Overflowing is all about Simple Crafts! To make the Mini Heart Garland Cake Topper, you choose a heart size from the provided templates, trace and cut it on wax paper or parchment paper, then use the cut heart as a template to cut three matching hearts — Cardstock Paper Options are Endless!

Heart Banner Valentines Day ItsOverflowing

Isn’t the format of this book so great! A craft for all 365 Days — Barrettes, Wall Art, Cards, Garlands, Plush Felt Animals, Gift Tags, Ornaments, Plant Sticks, Finger Puppets — all with templates.

Craft a Day-Heart Banner-ItsOverflowing

The book suggests using an embroidery needle and thread which is a great option, but I had a small hole punch and that worked, too.

Hearts - Twine Craft ItsOverflowing

So cute, right!

Valentine's Day Hearts ItsOverflowing

Add bamboo skewers to opposite sides of the cake and then wrap and knot both ends of the twine around the skewers. ‘Happy Valentine’s Day’ or ‘Happy Any day’ if you switch out the shape of the cardstock!

DIY Cake Banner ItsOverflowing

Flipping through the pages of Craft-a-Day is totally motivating because nothing in here would take long to create, but the results are totally fun, kid friendly, and impressive. As always, the opinions shared on this product are completely and totally mine!

Comments

17 Responses to “Mini Heart Garland Cake Topper”
  1. Carrie A. says:

Love that the book includes templates… I am going to check it out on Amazon.

2. Super cute. I’m with Carrie, love the templates as I am usually not a very crafty person. That cake topper is adorable!

3. Jill Flory says:

So cute and so simple and easy to do! I think the cutest things are most often the ones that don’t take a lot of time!

4. Adorable, Aimee! That cake looks pretty wonderful too! Thanks for stopping by to comment on the Valentine’s Birthday party. I hope Little B had as much fun as we did! I loved looking through all the photo booth pics the girls took while I was in the kitchen. Have a great day! Happy Valentine’s Day to your bunch!
    Hugs,
    Nici

5. Cute idea Aimee, looks beautiful!

6. Shannon says:

This is so cute! I love decorating cakes but usually don’t have a ton of time to devote so I always love cute and simple ideas!

7. Too darn cute! I love this for so many occasions!

8. Sarah AJ says:

So cute! I wish I had seen this yesterday when I as looking for a quick topper for my Valentine’s Day birthday girl’s cake. Pinning for next year!

9. candie says:

LOVE this!!! Super cute – I’d totally do this for the perfect end to a date night! You should enter your photos from this project into Craftbaby’s Hearts Craft Challenge :-) http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/43/those-tiny-toes-hearts-craft

xo,
    Candie

10. So cute! I love the hearts above the cake!!!

Just saw your link over at Six Sisters and had to come and check out how you did this :) I’d love for you to stop by and link up a few recipes at my weekend link party “The Weekend re-Treat” that is going on right now too!

Hope to see you there!

11. Megan says:

What an awesome idea! Cute and easy!
    See what I made for Valentines Day at: taylormegancrafts.blogspot.com
    Megan

12. Lindsay says:

Oh my goodness, this is the absolute cutest! The banner adds so much!

13. That is such an awesome idea! I love it!

Come link up on Craft-Tastic Tuesday ~ http://learncreatelove.com/?p=6803

=)

14. Aimee, adore this! so sweet and simple and such a big statement! Perfect! Thanks for sharing it with us at Monday Funday! Sharing on our FB page! ;)

15. How cute and super easy!! CANNOT WAIT to do this with our Valentine’s desserts. Thanks for sharing!

We would love to have you stop by and share your post on Tell Me About It Tuesday. I think it would be a great addition. http://www.sweetsillysara.com/2014/01/tell-me-about-it-tuesday-3.html