Ready for more Get it Organized tips?!! Let’s talk about office organization! When your office space is smack dab in the middle of your family room, it’s totally not cool to stack the desk with fabric, scissors, crafts, bills, cards, and magazines – at least not when company is on their way! When there isn’t a door to pull shut, practical desk organizational systems become a must. Check out some of the solutions I use to keep my desk surface from becoming a total eye sore.
1. Storage Box. USB charging and camera cords need to be used often and inside drawers, they can become a tangled mess. Add a pretty storage box to your desk and use it to store those unsightly cords that aren’t being used at the moment.
2. Desktop Cubbies. Keeping pens and pencils sorted on the desktop allows easy access to your most used items. I love my mason jar storage solution!
3. Divide Storage. Large drawers are great for storing paper and folders, but small desk items need to be sorted in small sections if you want the drawer to stay orderly. Dividers like these are great for making sure everything you have in the drawer visible! I’m pretty sure I found this one at Target — it’s plastic and can be trimmed if the drawer is too large. (I’ll double check next time I’m there).
4. Add Shelves. Keep the desk surface clear by adding a floating shelves next to your desk. Book towers allow you to stack magazines and books in close proximity without becoming a cluttered mess on your desktop. These are easy to build or can be found at most furniture stores.
>>>Hahaha, the pencil sharpener needs to be relocated with the addition of these great new shelves!
5. Drop Spot for Mail. Designate a space that is predictable to drop the mail. For my husband and I — two baskets that hang to keep our writing surface clear.
6. Make it Pretty. A cubicle in an office might not offer as many options, but when your office space is at home, take the time to create a space that represents you. I painted the backdrop of my desk area with a houndstooth stencil and it is such a calming backdrop. I also added an ‘office’ sign that has special memories from my college days when my sweet roomies/besties and I agreed to call a prior day care our home sweet home — that place was a piece of work! I recently found this wall mounted white porcelain animal head and I’m totally loving it! A pretty space helps me continue to be inspired!