Get it Organized: Desk

March 4, 2013 by 24 Comments

Ready for more Get it Organized tips?!!  Let’s talk about office organization!  When your office space is smack dab in the middle of your family room, it’s totally not cool to stack the desk with fabric, scissors, crafts, bills, cards, and magazines – at least not when company is on their way!  When there isn’t a door to pull shut, practical desk organizational systems become a must.  Check out some of the solutions I use to keep my desk surface from becoming a total eye sore.

Organzing-a-Desk-ItsOverflowing-12

1.  Storage Box.  USB charging and camera cords need to be used often and inside drawers, they can become a tangled mess.  Add a pretty storage box to your desk and use it to store those unsightly cords that aren’t being used at the moment.

Get it Organized-Desk-ItsOverflowing

2.  Desktop Cubbies.  Keeping pens and pencils sorted on the desktop allows easy access to your most used items.  I love my mason jar storage solution!

Organzing-a-Desk-ItsOverflowing

3.  Divide Storage.  Large drawers are great for storing paper and folders, but small desk items need to be sorted in small sections if you want the drawer to stay orderly.  Dividers like these are great for making sure everything you have in the drawer visible!  I’m pretty sure I found this one at Target — it’s plastic and can be trimmed if the drawer is too large.  (I’ll double check next time I’m there).

Desk-Organization-ItsOverflowing8

4.  Add Shelves.  Keep the desk surface clear by adding a floating shelves next to your desk.  Book towers allow you to stack magazines and books  in close proximity without becoming a cluttered mess on your desktop.  These are easy to build or can be found at most furniture stores.

>>>Hahaha, the pencil sharpener needs to be relocated with the addition of these great new shelves!

Desk-Organization-ItsOverflowing73

5.  Drop Spot for Mail.  Designate a space that is predictable to drop the mail.  For my husband and I — two baskets that hang to keep our writing surface clear.

Desk-Organization- ItsOverflowing Blog 7

6. Make it Pretty.  A cubicle in an office might not offer as many options, but when your office space is at home, take the time to create a space that represents you.  I painted the backdrop of my desk area with a houndstooth stencil and it is such a calming backdrop.  I also added an ‘office’ sign that has special memories from my college days when my sweet roomies/besties and I agreed to call a prior day care our home sweet home — that place was a piece of work!  I recently found this wall mounted white porcelain animal head and I’m totally loving it!  A pretty space helps me continue to be inspired!

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

24 Responses to “Get it Organized: Desk”
  1. I love your office space! I am still trying to figuire out where I want mine in the house. Cloffice?? In the Kitchen?? Make over the guest room??? Too many ideas, can’t make a decision. I love how organized yours is! xo Kristin

2. Diana says:

This is wonderful! If my space ever looked like this I could go ahead and consider life complete. LOL………..Ok, not really but close! Maybe I’ll start with a few of the ideas and go from there.

3. Sharon says:

Thanks for the tips I love em’ all and your office area is “FAB” :)

4. Kris says:

This office space is so pretty and organized. I bet you love working in that pretty space. My office is in the back corner of my old family room area that is now my new dining room so I have to keep my office area tidy too. Great ideas.
    Kris

5. Amber @ Healthy, Wealthy & DIYs says:

the drawer organizer is to die for! must get one NOW. :)

so, I have a random question. how do you add the labels to all your photos? Do you do it in photoshop, livewriter, pic monkey, etc? I’ve been trying to watermark all my photos, but lately when I try to do it in livewriter, it distorts the pictures! :( wahh. Just wondering if there is an easier way that I don’t know about!

6. Shauna @Satori Design for Living says:

Your space is so organized and pretty. I’m going to be doing a post soon where people can link up their workspaces and I’d love for you to join. I’ll let you know the details.

7. The space really looks terrific (and organized) I love it! I also love that bookshelf over the conventional standing up ones. And that mail slot is a great idea, its so practical given that most bills, etc just get tossed on a counter somewhere and sometimes lost. That keeps it organized and looks adorable. Great tips Aimee!

8. Kim says:

Oh my gosh! This is gorgeous! I’m moving in June, and finally am going to have a desk that serves as an office, rather than a binder on my kitchen table. What clever ideas! Can’t wait to pin & share!!
    Best-
    Kim @ Two Ten
    popping in from Skip to My Lou link party!

9. April Hoff says:

I love everything about this office! Love the mason jars, love the drawers, LOVE the shelves…pinning everything! :) Great ideas, Aimee!!!

10. I have never, ever seen drawer dividers like those! LOVE! Your office is absolutely stunning. Thanks for all the great tips!

~Abby =)

11. The mason jar idea is great! Love your desk area.

12. Your office is amazing! I love everything about it!! :)

13. great tips! now, if I could only be that organized…

14. Aimee your desk is amazing! That is an area I am currently working on! So easy to get unorganized and overtaken with paper! Thanks for sharing your great ideas! I may put some into action in my space!

15. What a beautiful office space, Aimee! Awesome tips! I love the shelves!

16. Michell says:

This is such a gorgeous office space, I love the animal head above the office sign. A fun touch! I really need to organise my office space better, Im sure theres a lot of stuff in there I just dont need anymore and should get rid of to make room for pretty storage. The shelves are fun too :D

17. Frances says:

I love the mason jar idea! Just perfect!

Nonny
    Stopping by from Adorned from Above

18. i love this space! the houndstooth wall & diamond drawer dividers are a few of my favorite elements! lovely job! xo

-ashley
    ashleyrachelle.com

19. Thank you for the great tips! I am in the middle of organizing our home. It is my goal to get the entire house organized. We would like to invite you to our blog party to share your great ideas. It is a Thursday party going live tonight (Wed.) @ 8:00 p.m. MST~ Hope You will join us!
    Thanks, and have a wonderful day!
    Joye & Myrna (The Busy Bee’s)
    thebusybhive.blogspot.com

20. Some great ideas – it’s definitely one of my hot spots at the moment – Alice @ Mums Make Lists

21. Anja says:

Beautiful desk area – looks so calm and clean. I really need to find some cute drawer organizers, my drawers always end up completely cluttered. Thanks for the inspiration – I am currently redoing my office.

22. Holly says:

I have office envy. Love that stencil and that office is so darn organized. I need to hire you.

23. I love your office! Thanks for the fantastic tips!

24. Katie says:

Such a cute office space!! I love the mason jars and the wall bookshelf! Functional and adorable!!