How to Get Organized Using Labels

March 13, 2013 by 13 Comments

How to Get Organized Using Labels.  A space can go from total bliss to complete chaos in no time at all if you don’t claim it.  Adding labels to baskets and drawers identifies the intended use and make it clear to everyone in the home.  Here are some of the simple labels I use in my home.

How to Get Organized Using Labels @ItsOverflowing

Chalkboard Stickers.  These can be found in most stores.  They’re easy to apply and easy to remove…I love using them.  Rather than labeling with regular chalk, I prefer using a chalk marker or chalk pen because it remains stays put even when sweet little fingers and arms brush against it.

Chalkboard-Sticker-Labels-ItsOverflowing

Color Coded Ribbons.  My three Sweet B’s each have a unique color of ribbon which helps with organization.

Color-Coded-Ribbon-Labels-ItsOverflowing

DIY Scrapbook Labels.  Another one of my favorite labels is made by laminating two layers of scrapbook paper.  I have these on the baskets in my little girl’s room.  She does a great job filling each with the toys that belong.

DIY-Basket-Label-ItsOverflowing

Printable Labels. Lots of options to use on your toy room storage bins (here).

Toy-Labels-@ItsOverflowing-21

DIY Chalkboard Labels.  After way too many times reorganizing my boys dresser, I decided to make some small chalkboards to label their drawers.  It worked!  For over two months now, their clothes have been dropped in the right space.  Yes, I said dropped!  I have absolutely no folding expectations, just want them to be able to easily find what they’re looking for!

Drawer-Chalk-Labels

Vinyl Cut Labels.  In the kitchen, I used my vinyl cutting machine to make labels for the items I keep on the kitchen counters.  Not only does it look great, I label for practical reasons as well.  I like to keep baking soda by my kitchen sink for scouring dishes, but a teaspoon of baking soda added to a cup of coffee would definitely be a bummer deal.

Vinyl-Labels-ItsOverflowing

Label Maker.  In my pantry, I use labels from my label maker because it prints small labels that work on all of my containers.

Label-maker-Pantry-ItsOverflowing

Order Labels.  And for each of my kids I have labels with their names.  They’re great for tossing in gift sacks, labeling books, and with a hole punch are a great way to keep their lunch sacks clearly identified.

Kid Labels ItsOverflowing

I’ve found that adding labels to my organizational systems allows me to explain the plan to my family without an ‘in one ear and out the other’ tutorial given by yours truly!

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch, Emily A. Clark

Comments

13 Responses to “How to Get Organized Using Labels”
  1. Great tips on getting organized! I need to pay more attention :)

2. April Hoff says:

Love me a good label! Great ideas that are easy to put into use right now!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

3. I’ve owned a label maker for 5+ years and never used it. How sad is that?! I’m feeling inspired now :) Thanks for linking up!

4. These are such cute and easy ideas to get organized! I love it!

5. Jill Flory says:

I like labels too. It’s functional but oh so cute! Chalk board labels are my fav :)

6. Gwen says:

You are one organized momma! What fantastic ideas, girl!

7. I love the chalk board stickers on the drawers! I didn’t even know about them! Great post on organization! I pinned it for inspiration and would love for you to share this at my linky party today at http://www.juliakendrick.com! I hope you have a great day!

8. Little Bit says:

very cute Aimee… love those chalkboard stickers! Little Bit from http://www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

9. Cecilia says:

wonderful ideas and timely too! I am getting ready to label my jars and containers in the kitchen. Now I’m really inspired – thanks for sharing!

10. Great post! Labels make everything seem so much more neat and tidy. Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

11. bridgett says:

I love the labels, Aimee! Totally loving anything revolved around organizing lately! Would love for you to share at the party! xo Bridgett

12. kathy says:

You have inspired me. I love those chalkboard labels. Thank you for sharing your ideas!

13. Betty819 says:

What’s this vinyl cutting machine you refer to when you make labels for your pantry items? Can you post a picture of it? Where can you buy it? I just found your blog and I love your ideas! I’m ADD and I have a tendency to start a lot of projects and never complete one before I jump over to another one. Drives me crazy but hey, at my senior citizen bracket, I don’t think there’s help for me now. I am always aware of it and try so hard to conquer and then when I think I’m doing good; life gets in my way again. These chalkboard labels that you buy from Amazon.com, which liquid check pen do you recommend? Can you purchase the chalk pens from a craft store like A.C. Moore or Michael’s?

Wouldn’t it be better to buy plastic storage boxes with lids to store things under your bed? I have almost 50 years of photos in boxes under my bed. Lots of scrapbooking intentions, have all the supplies but am just not creative and don’t have the patience. I have a 4 poster bed that’s high and I have to use a 21 in. dust ruffle, and I hide all that behind the dust ruffle. The boxes with lids helps keep dust out of the photos. Even store toilet paper and paper towels under there!

Thanks for sharing all your creative and great organizing ideas with us!