03/26/13

Kitchen Spices DIY Storage

DIY Storage is totally my thing!  It helps my ‘Get It Organized‘ cause!

Spices-Organization-ItsOverflowing

A few months ago I shared on Instagram that I’d found some trash!?!  NOT!  This reclaimed wood sitting on a neighbor’s curb on trash day was screaming rescue me!  I picked it up and threw it into the trunk.  Want to see what I did with a bit of it?!?!

Reclaimed Wood ItsOverflowing

I took the pieces that were in the best shape and put them to good use in my spice cabinet.  This space was totally out of control, complete with expired spices and all!  I decided to build some shelves so I could finally see and get to all of my spices.

DIY Storage, Kitchen, ItsOverflowing 2First I emptied the cabinet and threw the expired spices.  It’d been a while since I had paid attention to the dates on some of these spices!

Then I cut three pieces of wood the width of my opening.  Three levels for my spices is so ideal — I have always loved the staircase effect I have for my canned goods, not sure what took me so long to set my spices up with the same royal treatment!   I love having every square inch of my kitchen totally useable!!!

DIY Storage, Kitchen, ItsOverflowing 3

Be sure to check out more ‘Get it Organized‘ and ‘Simple Tips‘ – here!

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

SHARE THIS POST ON: Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest

Comments

1. Aimee, I have seen overpriced plastic things that do this and I want one and won’t buy it. So that is where it ended. Until now, you are so smart. Thanks for this and I like your blog and everything you do!

• You are so kind Michelle!!! Enjoy creating your new spice system!!! XO, Aimee

2. Really smart and wonderful idea, so simple and efficient for space and organization, we love it!

Ananasa.com- Home For Handmade

3. Betty819 says:

I know I just posted another question about using them for spices, but my husband is on a lot of medications because of his diabetes and this same method could be used for his medications. Maybe buy a 2×2″(just guessing the size board)having the HD or Lowe’s to cut it into certain size lengths if you do not have access to a power saw at home and it could be paint or covered in contact paper and layering the medications can help one see the med label without having to pick every bottle to find the right one. If it is in eye level, each label would be easy to read. Hope this makes sense what I’m trying to say.

4. Heather @ French Press says:

seriously crafty! my spice cabinet is a disaster

5. Betty819 says:

You know I was just thinking about this very same idea for my spices. I now have them in one of those spice cabinets that you have to keep pulling each drawer out(or at least I do)to find things. Some spices come in the small plastic containers, some come in taller containers/jars. The spice cabinet to me takes up too much room and it is time consuming to find the spice I want without having to pull out each drawer one at a time. I saw where one blogger, orangized her spices in ABC order and stored them on the inside of her pantry door, so when she opens the pantry door, they are easily accessible to her finger tips. Your idea will work too!It could also be used for the small vegetable or fruit canned foods.

6. Kathy says:

I would add labels to the top front of the screw caps, (Avery labels cut to size) so that when you look into your cabinet, you can see the name of the spice, since when you stack them on tiers, it hides the label at the middle of the spice bottle.

7. I love how this free solution makes your spice cabinet much more user friendly. Great job!

We’d love for you to share your posts at our Finished Friday link-up. It’s open through the weekend.

8. Such a practical and clever solution! I featured this on my blog today, check it out here: http://www.unoriginalmom.com/original-fridays-2/

9. What a simple and fabulous tip! *pin

10. You need to come over to my house and do this for me.. My Spices are out of control CRAZY!!! 😉
    Have a great week!!
    xo
    Angelina

11. Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse says:

Stopping by from Six Sister’s party! This is such a great idea =D I just recently reorganized my spices and transferred them to the same type of jars so they’re all uniform, but I haven’t invested in any kind of tiered shelf like that because a lot of them are so pricey! I may just make my own shelves with some boxes =P Clever you.

Also didn’t realize that spices expire. Do you know how long they last?

12. Christy@confessions of a Serial DO-it-Yourselfer says:

Sometimes we miss the simplest solutions, great idea! I love the fact that you posed for a pic with your newfound treasure lol!

13. Shannah @ Just Us Four says:

This is a fantastic idea! I bought a three level one but I just don’t love it. This is an awesome project! I hope you will consider linking it up to the Pinworthy Projects Party over at my blog, Just Us Four.

14. Now why didn’t I think of that? Very clever!

15. It’s stadium seating for spices, lol! But seriously, I love this storage method. It makes it so much easier to see what you have without having to root around looking for what you need. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing, Aimee!

~Abby =)

16. What a neat idea – so easy even I can probably do it. My spice shelf is presently in the same state yours was previously. I will try it, and get some exercise hand-sawing some wood to use for my steps (no power saws in my possession).

17. Awesome idea – and it looks great too! I love seeing old wood get a new lease on life!

18. How cool are you? I love it! Makes it so much easier to see the spice names. Very clever. 🙂

19. Cute and practical…such a wonderful combo! 😉

20. duh, that is so smart and i have wood left over from a project and never thought of that! thank you!

21. sarah k says:

Clever Idea! Now if somebody would throw wood in the trash for me..I might replicate.
    Have a great day!
    Sarah

22. Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles says:

Great idea, Aimee! I have a wire stairstep rack for spices but it’s not as cute as your wood!

23. I love what you did Aimee–you great, clever girl you!! xo Kristin

24. Moni ~ Zu Haus at Home says:

Such an easy fix..clever idea!

25. Clever idea. I love it. Hugs, Marty

26. Cranberry Morning says:

Good grief, that’s such an easy and great idea!! Clever you! 🙂

27. I like how you organized your spices! I need to do something like that with my canned goods.

28. LOL, I like picking my neighborhood trash too.
    Love what you did with it!

29. Jena says:

Aimee, this is so clever! Isn’t it crazy how some of the best ides come from unexpected finds? And I am so guilty of expired spices…I don’t even want to look, lol!