How to Decorate Your House with Plates

April 24, 2013 by 19 Comments

Yesterday I showed you one of my favorite takes on Art for the Home — Plate Collections!  A few of you have had questions on How to Decorate Your House with Plates — so here it is!  You may use this same system…it’s pretty popular, but if not, I totally recommend it!   I use Plate Discs….

How to Decorate Your House with Plates ItsOverflowing

I buy Invisible English Disc Adhesives from Amazon.  You can find them at Hobby Lobby — but often they’re out of stock. I’ve looked at other craft stores and have had no luck!  They’re awesome, but do take a little time to adhere fully so don’t start this project a couple hours before guests are due to arrive.  Here’s how the Plate Discs work…

1.  Fill a little bowl with water.

2.  Use your finger to dampen the non-word side of the disc with water allowing the adhesiveness to surface.

3. Press the disc against the decor plate, paying close attention that the plate will be hung the correct direction once dry.

4. Place a weighted object on top of the disc while drying.

5. Wait 24 hours before hanging plate.

6. Want to remove the disc!?!?  No worries — soak the disc in hot water or run it through the dishwasher — if the plate is dishwasher safe.  The disc will not be reusable, but the plate is good as new!

How to Decorate Your House with Plates ItsOverflowing 2

My plates are a total variety, but to my best recall they are from, Anthropologie (recent and past), Neiman Marcus (the Target – Neiman Marcus partnership over Christmas), TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Target, World Market, my Nana’s collection, Antique Stores, and West Elm bowls are pictured (although they didn’t make the cut on the wall).

How to Decorate Your House with Plates ItsOverflowing 3

Don’t you love how snug these plate discs allow the collection to hang on the wall!?!

How to Decorate Your House with Plates ItsOverflowing 6

I love the look of plates scattered perfectly random on the wall, but for me and my symmetrical issues — this diamond shape (or rotated square for my teacher friends that like to correct me when I make such a mathematical error).  I love that as I stare at my wall obsessively I’m not left feeling like there’s a missing plate!

How to Decorate Your House with Plates ItsOverflowing 4

As I run across plates that I love even more — I may end up doing some switching around!

How to Decorate Your House ItsOverflowing 5

One of my first blog DIY projects is peeking through in full yellow yumminess.  If you haven’t seen my DIY Kitchen Cart – check it out here!  And if you are in the process of making over a chandelier, check this out for some inspiration and motivation!  I just love the beauty of plate collections hanging in the kitchen.  Have you checked out all these Art for the Home: Plate Collection Ideas?  Love them!

Comments

19 Responses to “How to Decorate Your House with Plates”
  1. Beautiful plate arrangement….so pretty in your dining room! xx

2. Carrie A. says:

Beautiful! I always wondered how people hung plates… this really makes me want to search for beautiful and original plates at flea markets, etc. All those plates look beautiful together, so many details and colors to look at. :)

3. I love plates on the wall…I have a collection of blue willow in my kitchen and our monogrammed china in the dining room. I’ve never used the plate discs as I’m always afraid the adhesive will loosen & a plate will come crashing down….is the bond pretty solid?

• Aimee says:

I was afraid too, Amelia — but yes, it is very secure. I was convinced when I found some plates at an antique store with the plate discs secure on them — seeing those made me a believer. If you tried on a less valuable piece you might have a better feel for whether you’re up for trying it on your precious pieces!!! XO, Aime

4. I love this- especially the birds!!!!

5. Petra says:

What a cool way to hang plates – I’ve always used those white wire widgets that clip onto the plate. And I can glimpse an interesting looking yellow table in the side room – I’ll see if I can find it on your blog! :-D

6. Tanya says:

Aimee, not only is your arrangement beautiful but I LOVE your collection! I would love for you to share this with us at Pretty Things this week :)

xo, Tanya

7. Wanda says:

Aimee, your plates are beautiful and I love the arrangement. Thanks for posting this tute. I have not used the discs before so I’ll have to try that out. Love your collection. Gonna hop on over to Art For the Home and see some more loveliness. Blessings!

8. Cortney says:

The wall looks great Aimee and I love that you also provided the VERY HANDY tip on the invisible English disc adhesives. I`m saving this post for my plate wall one day!

It looks great – and I love the plates you have collected! Great job! I`d love to share this on my DIY blog post on a Tuesday, if you are okay with that.

Cortney at http://www.organicallyopulent.com

9. Michelle says:

These plates are way to pretty to be hidden away in the cupboard. They look so good up on the wall for all to see. Im going to do a wall of clocks and art in my kitchen and tempted to add a few plates to the walls as well. Love this look :)

10. Krista says:

I love the energy that the variety of colour and pattern gives! You did an amazing job of grouping them!!
    Krista @thehappyhousie

11. Hi Aimee. I love your plate display! Thanks for the tip on the discs. I have heard of them but couldn’t find them. I use the wire with hooks but they’re not good for your dishes-especially if your dishes are old.

Have a great weekend,
    Linda At The French Hens Nest

12. I just found you via the Sundae Scoop Link Party! I’m loving your plates! I’m just starting my collection…I have 1! LOL! I’m glad I found your post about the plate discs!

Christine

13. You have a beautiful collection of plates! I’ve never heard of this type of adhesive before – thanks for the heads up!

14. Laura says:

Love the collection and how you have displayed them! Beautiful job.

15. Maria says:

Beautiful!!! I love the collection of plates and how different they all are, but fit together so perfectly! Lovely!

16. Gail says:

Thanks for letting know about the discs; I ordered some tonight
    Love your plate display