Yesterday I showed you one of my favorite takes on Art for the Home — Plate Collections! A few of you have had questions on How to Decorate Your House with Plates — so here it is! You may use this same system…it’s pretty popular, but if not, I totally recommend it! I use Plate Discs….
I buy Invisible English Disc Adhesives from Amazon. You can find them at Hobby Lobby — but often they’re out of stock. I’ve looked at other craft stores and have had no luck! They’re awesome, but do take a little time to adhere fully so don’t start this project a couple hours before guests are due to arrive. Here’s how the Plate Discs work…
1. Fill a little bowl with water.
2. Use your finger to dampen the non-word side of the disc with water allowing the adhesiveness to surface.
3. Press the disc against the decor plate, paying close attention that the plate will be hung the correct direction once dry.
4. Place a weighted object on top of the disc while drying.
5. Wait 24 hours before hanging plate.
6. Want to remove the disc!?!? No worries — soak the disc in hot water or run it through the dishwasher — if the plate is dishwasher safe. The disc will not be reusable, but the plate is good as new!
My plates are a total variety, but to my best recall they are from, Anthropologie (recent and past), Neiman Marcus (the Target – Neiman Marcus partnership over Christmas), TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Target, World Market, my Nana’s collection, Antique Stores, and West Elm bowls are pictured (although they didn’t make the cut on the wall).
Don’t you love how snug these plate discs allow the collection to hang on the wall!?!
I love the look of plates scattered perfectly random on the wall, but for me and my symmetrical issues — this diamond shape (or rotated square for my teacher friends that like to correct me when I make such a mathematical error). I love that as I stare at my wall obsessively I’m not left feeling like there’s a missing plate!
As I run across plates that I love even more — I may end up doing some switching around!
One of my first blog DIY projects is peeking through in full yellow yumminess. If you haven’t seen my DIY Kitchen Cart – check it out here! And if you are in the process of making over a chandelier, check this out for some inspiration and motivation! I just love the beauty of plate collections hanging in the kitchen. Have you checked out all these Art for the Home: Plate Collection Ideas? Love them!